Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I played some Dingwalls today. That was a mistake, because now I'm going to have to sell a bunch of stuff to finance a Super J. It took me only a few moments to get adjusted to the fanned frets, and I think the neck may be the most comfortable I've ever played on. The Combustion I tried had a better B string, but I didn't like the neck profile or the pickups. The Super J just seemed to fit perfectly with my technique, and when I plugged it into an SVT? Forget about it.

It was a "Geddy" Super J, like this one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/msd/4010845301.html

What the hell is all this about then.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

He's a builder for greenboy's fearful/fearless cabs. The designs are proven, but unfortunately most of the builders come off like this guy (some plans are free to build yourself though). I had one of the 15/6 models that was built from a kit, and it did like up to the hype that they can go very low and get very loud. Unfortunately the separate mid range driver was not to my liking, so I got rid of the cab. I would like to try the Dually if I get in a gigging situation that calls for it.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Custom cabs are awesome. I'm a Bill Fitzmaurice fan myself, as I have built a Jack and Omni Tallboy with a Tuba planned, but I would not hesitate to build a fEARful cab.

If you are handy at all, and have a little patience, you get way more cabinet for your dollar with a well-designed homemade cab. You can customize speaker choice and setup to your needs, the cabs are far lighter as they weren't designed to be churned out by a factory line, they are more sensitive so you have more headroom, and you don't have to cover the costs of the middlemen.

I used my Omni as a supplemental system to the fairly new house PA at my wedding. Not only was it louder than the PA of identical wattage, it had much lower lows and the highs didn't fatigue your ears like the PA did.

TL/DR: build your own cabs from plans like these, find one that fits your needs and you will love it.

EDIT:There is a great DIY cab community out there. I don't know if the fEARful guy does it, but Bill Fitzmaurice has a forum on his website where you can ask questions as you choose and build your cabinets. Many authorized builders and the designer himself will walk you through the whole process and keep you on the right track. Also, the guy at SpeakerHardware.net sells components and kits for BFM and fEARful designs, and is also very helpful. It's a far better experience to do it yourself with some help from these resources.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 14, 2013

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

Picked up my first bass and want to figure out the best way to power it. My living situation calls for headphones, so I am thinking about doing this:

Bass -> USB Line-in (some external piece of poo poo like this since I don't have an integrated one) -> Line out through this DAC.

Should this work pretty well? I already have the DAC and the Mac, and would just need a cheapo USB to audio in. I'll have to go from the 1/4" to 3.5mm.

Side question: Are these the stock Squier pickups?

mainks fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 14, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

mainks posted:

Picked up my first bass and want to figure out the best way to power it. My living situation calls for headphones, so I am thinking about doing this:

Bass -> USB Line-in (some external piece of poo poo like this since I don't have an integrated one) -> Line out through this DAC.

Should this work pretty well? I already have the DAC and the Mac, and would just need a cheapo USB to audio in. I'll have to go from the 1/4" to 3.5mm.

I'm guessing no. I can't think of any Squiers with EMGs.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

mainks posted:

Nah. Somebody side-graded it--I actually want to say downgrade because the stock pups on VMs are pretty good.\

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm guessing no. I can't think of any Squiers with EMGs.
This actually use a unbranded one of these.

RetardedRobots fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 14, 2013

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

CaseFace McGee posted:

Custom cabs are awesome. I'm a Bill Fitzmaurice fan myself, as I have built a Jack and Omni Tallboy with a Tuba planned, but I would not hesitate to build a fEARful cab.

If you are handy at all, and have a little patience, you get way more cabinet for your dollar with a well-designed homemade cab. You can customize speaker choice and setup to your needs,

EDIT:There is a great DIY cab community out there. I don't know if the fEARful guy does it, but Bill Fitzmaurice has a forum on his website where you can ask questions as you choose and build your cabinets. Many authorized builders and the designer himself will walk you through the whole process and keep you on the right track. Also, the guy at SpeakerHardware.net sells components and kits for BFM and fEARful designs, and is also very helpful. It's a far better experience to do it yourself with some help from these resources.

Well, this. I'm going to have to go with this. I have just as much fun opening things up and toying with them as i do playing the finished result. Time to plan out some projects, thanks!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay who put EMGs in that VM. I'm going to fight them.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Revvik posted:

Well, this. I'm going to have to go with this. I have just as much fun opening things up and toying with them as i do playing the finished result. Time to plan out some projects, thanks!

Give yourself about 20% extra in the budget to account for little things like handles, paint, dropcloths, shopping costs, screwdriver bits, router bits, soldering iron, a spare capacitor since your old soldering iron fried one... little things like that. They sneak up.

I just got a table saw at a garage sale to help with my next build - lots of cuts that need identical width.

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Okay who put EMGs in that VM. I'm going to fight them.

I barely know anything about basses and certainly know nothing about pickups. Are we talking a downgrade? Any idea what specific pickups those are?

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
That's probably a $160 regular old EMG-J set. Previous owner probably didn't like the hum from the passives that come stock, so put those in. Then he didn't like how sterile the EMGs sound, so he sold the bass. No harm done really. As you get better you might want to change them out after trying other basses and see what you like. You might even like the EMGs. Just play the poo poo out of it and don't worry (make sure to unplug bass after playing and keep a fresh 9v battery on hand).

As for your primary question, you probably want to grab a real audio interface. Focusrite has a nice simple one for about $120 that would do the trick. Cheap poo poo never seems to work too well (says the guy who played his guitar though his stereo for years).

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

RetardedRobots posted:

That's probably a $160 regular old EMG-J set. Previous owner probably didn't like the hum from the passives that come stock, so put those in. Then he didn't like how sterile the EMGs sound, so he sold the bass. No harm done really. As you get better you might want to change them out after trying other basses and see what you like. You might even like the EMGs. Just play the poo poo out of it and don't worry (make sure to unplug bass after playing and keep a fresh 9v battery on hand).

As for your primary question, you probably want to grab a real audio interface. Focusrite has a nice simple one for about $120 that would do the trick. Cheap poo poo never seems to work too well (says the guy who played his guitar though his stereo for years).

Ah, thanks for the insight. I enjoy how it sounds, sterile as it may be.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
God I'm so glad fall is here... I love playing outdoors when the evenings are finally getting cool.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

RetardedRobots posted:

I can vouch for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, it works well enough for my purposes (occasionally using Logic in my effects loop).

Scarf posted:

God I'm so glad fall is here... I love playing outdoors when the evenings are finally getting cool.

I forgot to post about this, but I followed your recommendation and got myself a honking huge leather strap to help keep my Harmony balanced. It worked well enough, so thanks for the tip. Although now I have a new problem, that strap (a 4 1/2" Levy) gave me a pretty bad rash. My old strap is leather too, so I'm not sure why the Levy is giving me problems, could it possibly be some kind of chemical treatment that my ~delicate angel skin~ isn't reacting well with? I've never gotten a rash from a guitar strap before, and google is pretty fruitless about how to deal with it. I've stopped using the Levy, but now my old guitar strap brings the rash back.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Ericadia posted:

I forgot to post about this, but I followed your recommendation and got myself a honking huge leather strap to help keep my Harmony balanced. It worked well enough, so thanks for the tip. Although now I have a new problem, that strap (a 4 1/2" Levy) gave me a pretty bad rash. My old strap is leather too, so I'm not sure why the Levy is giving me problems, could it possibly be some kind of chemical treatment that my ~delicate angel skin~ isn't reacting well with? I've never gotten a rash from a guitar strap before, and google is pretty fruitless about how to deal with it. I've stopped using the Levy, but now my old guitar strap brings the rash back.
Contact them. Seriously. If you think Canadians are polite and nice people, Manitobans are definitely the nicest of the lot (maybe Maritimers are nicer). They stand behind their products, I am 100% certain they will help you.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

RetardedRobots posted:

Contact them. Seriously. If you think Canadians are polite and nice people, Manitobans are definitely the nicest of the lot (maybe Maritimers are nicer). They stand behind their products, I am 100% certain they will help you.

I did this and got a reply from Harvey Levy this morning. I was told he's never seen this happen before, and advised me to see my doctor (actually don't have one of these so...), or have a seamstress attach fabric over the problem area. Hmm.

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008

Hotzenplotz posted:

Yesterday I attempted to do a set up on a bass I have owned (but hardly played) for about 8 years. When I tried to loosen the truss rod, it did not move at all (either way).

I guess taking it to a luthier is the sensible thing to do here?

It turns out I was just too hesitant, it took a lot more force than I was expecting. :downs:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Hey

I am looking at a 78 (I believe) Aria Sg EB3 knock off. Unfortunately it's a few hours away so do not want to go into it blind.

It is a short scale, and apparently one of the main guitars that launched the MIK Lawsuit era. I was wondering if anyone has had personal experience with these and can give me a comprehensive pro/con of this.

I always loved the SG look but hated the Gibson price and the Epiphone sound. I am hoping this will be some middle ground. Also, it is a offer base so any help in suggestion of their value (what's too much) would be awesome too!

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/aria/solid/sg/19xx.html

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Hey

I am looking at a 78 (I believe) Aria Sg EB3 knock off. Unfortunately it's a few hours away so do not want to go into it blind.

It is a short scale, and apparently one of the main guitars that launched the MIK Lawsuit era. I was wondering if anyone has had personal experience with these and can give me a comprehensive pro/con of this.

I always loved the SG look but hated the Gibson price and the Epiphone sound. I am hoping this will be some middle ground. Also, it is a offer base so any help in suggestion of their value (what's too much) would be awesome too!

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/aria/solid/sg/19xx.html

I wouldn't pay more than 500 for it; Aria copies tend to go for about 300-500. They're totally worth it, though

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Ericadia posted:

I did this and got a reply from Harvey Levy this morning. I was told he's never seen this happen before, and advised me to see my doctor (actually don't have one of these so...), or have a seamstress attach fabric over the problem area. Hmm.
Oh yeah, Canadians have no concept of paying for doctors (really that seems crazy as poo poo to us). Pretty neat that Harvey himself responded, even though the answer was a bit lazy. It could be a heat rash? Maybe the strap was rubbing without you noticing? If the other strap is causing it to return, I would suspect irritation rather than reaction... That's all kind of hosed, I mean, Levy's is probably the most popular leather strap in North America, so you shouldn't be the only person with this issue.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

I wouldn't pay more than 500 for it; Aria copies tend to go for about 300-500. They're totally worth it, though

I am also looking at a 1980+ peavey t40 for the same price range? which would you suggest for heavy music?

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

I've gone to quite a few guitar stores, and no one really seems to be making the kind of bass guitar I'm looking for.

24 frets
something like a SMB-4D pickup
No active electronics.
plays well and isn't cheaply made poo poo cranked out of a poo poo factory.

It's completely stupid but I want a hipshot whammy as well.

I assume I'll never have what I'm looking for unless I have one custom made. Is there a good resource for finding a builder besides google? I'm not concerned with expense, only with not having a piece of poo poo that I don't want and never play.

I'm in a flyover state so local stuff is limited. I managed to find a local builder, but he doesn't seem to hot on it.

bitchtard fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 20, 2013

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Mitchard posted:

I've gone to quite a few guitar stores, and no one really seems to be making the kind of bass guitar I'm looking for.

24 frets
something like a SMB-4D pickup
No active electronics.
plays well and isn't cheaply made poo poo cranked out of a poo poo factory.

It's completely stupid but I want a hipshot whammy as well.

I assume I'll never have what I'm looking for unless I have one custom made. Is there a good resource for finding a builder besides google? I'm not concerned with expense, only with not having a piece of poo poo that I don't want and never play.

I'm in a flyover state so local stuff is limited. I managed to find a local builder, but he doesn't seem to hot on it.

It would probably be easier and cheaper to find a 24 fret bass with MM-style pickups that you like, remove the preamp and route for the whammy.

DrChu fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 20, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I am also looking at a 1980+ peavey t40 for the same price range? which would you suggest for heavy music?

The Peavey T40 is one of my favorite basses of all time but it's heavy. There are ways of getting around this (wide strap, manning the gently caress up) but it's not going to be as comfortable as the Aria. A T40 does whatever you want, though. Turn it full up and use a pick and you can get some Ric-style grind, but if you're not careful you can get some mud. The EB-3 gets more bite. Both are good choices for heavy music, but I'd audition both of them to see what sound you want.

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

For what its worth a t40 in great condition just sold over here for $150.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I need to find an EB-0 and an EB-3 locally to goof around with. Also Epiphone has that cheap EB-3 in Pelham Blue and they can't make the short scale in that color?? Jerks. World needs stranger diversity in short scales.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Revvik posted:

I need to find an EB-0 and an EB-3 locally to goof around with. Also Epiphone has that cheap EB-3 in Pelham Blue and they can't make the short scale in that color?? Jerks. World needs stranger diversity in short scales.

I have a Gibson EB-3 and it is an absolute joy to play. I could never imagine parting with it. Especially after coming out of a band where I pretty much had to play a Fender Jazz it feels super good to go back to short scale. I do need to work on it some as the pickup selector is acting weird.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is it just the ease of access that makes you prefer a short scale? I've been thinking of picking up another bass (since I sold my Jazz and have only had a horrible 70's EB0 knock-off to play in the meantime) and I never thought about another SS

Edit: let me clarify - I looked at some EB0 videos and they seem fine, but I don't really have a point of comparison and I'm not that great of a player at all. The EB0 copy I have is unplayable so, what are the adv/disadvantages to playing a shortscale realistically?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 22, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Southern Heel posted:

Is it just the ease of access that makes you prefer a short scale? I've been thinking of picking up another bass (since I sold my Jazz and have only had a horrible 70's EB0 knock-off to play in the meantime) and I never thought about another SS

Edit: let me clarify - I looked at some EB0 videos and they seem fine, but I don't really have a point of comparison and I'm not that great of a player at all. The EB0 copy I have is unplayable so, what are the adv/disadvantages to playing a shortscale realistically?

Generally has a more mellow, rounder tone imo.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Generally has a more mellow, rounder tone imo.

Yeah that's a huge part of it, though my lead guitarist hates the tone my Mustang puts out with that humbucker. I'm thinking EB might have the same deal but whatever it sounds great in the mix.

The other big parts of it are comfort. Neck length isn't huge, I have a P-Bass that I'm fine with, major complaints are quality more than anything. But string tension sucks since I have very dry skin that manifests as fissures on the tips of my fingertips. Floppy short scale strings, don't hurt much. 34" length, especially flats, means I leave bloodstains on my bass. And we don't play the kind of music that considers that cool.

Edit: I'm tempted to yank the Quarter Pounder out of my P-Bass and stuff it into a Squier VM Mustang, but local availability *shrug.* I may just try sight unseen.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I played bass in a crappy cover band in high school. And by "played" I mean I learned how to play Nirvana, Deftones, and the like from online tabs. When I went to college, I just left my gear at my parents' house, but I've always wanted to take it up again and learn how to play properly. So yesterday I finally resurrected my old GSR200. Threw some new strings on it, and she's good as new.

Any tips on where to begin with learning to play, other than what's already outlined in the OP? I took a few lessons way back when, and I recall a lot of work with scales, so I intend to start there. I assume I could probably find some free video lessons on YouTube or some such thing? Another thing I'm curious about is how to go about finding people to play with. I do know two or three guitar players, but I'm worried their playing ability will be too advanced for me to keep up with out of the gate.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 23, 2013

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I really recommend trying to get a decent teacher. There's no better way to progress than having someone who can listen to your playing and watch your hands and give you direction on how to improve. Look for someone who can teach theory, as well as the instrument. Even if you're not crazy about learning music theory, it would at least mean the teacher isn't some sort of guitarist-hobbyist type who's just going to teach you basic songs. Probably. A good teacher will also give you a steady stream of things to practice so you don't get into ruts so much.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Revvik posted:

Yeah that's a huge part of it, though my lead guitarist hates the tone my Mustang puts out with that humbucker. I'm thinking EB might have the same deal but whatever it sounds great in the mix.

The other big parts of it are comfort. Neck length isn't huge, I have a P-Bass that I'm fine with, major complaints are quality more than anything. But string tension sucks since I have very dry skin that manifests as fissures on the tips of my fingertips. Floppy short scale strings, don't hurt much. 34" length, especially flats, means I leave bloodstains on my bass. And we don't play the kind of music that considers that cool.

Yeah, pretty much all of this. Plus it is what I learned on so it has an added familiarity to me. Added benefit is that it also hangs nicely and won't be diving as soon as you hands are off of it.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Blakkout posted:

I played bass in a crappy cover band in high school. And by "played" I mean I learned how to play Nirvana, Deftones, and the like from online tabs. When I went to college, I just left my gear at my parents' house, but I've always wanted to take it up again and learn how to play properly. So yesterday I finally resurrected my old GSR200. Threw some new strings on it, and she's good as new.

Any tips on where to begin with learning to play, other than what's already outlined in the OP? I took a few lessons way back when, and I recall a lot of work with scales, so I intend to start there. I assume I could probably find some free video lessons on YouTube or some such thing? Another thing I'm curious about is how to go about finding people to play with. I do know two or three guitar players, but I'm worried their playing ability will be too advanced for me to keep up with out of the gate.

Ask those dudes if they want to jam anyway. Just let them know ahead of time that your new to it. Get used to playing with people early because it will suck if you learn that later on when you have technical chops but no sense of groove.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

Stravinsky posted:

Ask those dudes if they want to jam anyway. Just let them know ahead of time that your new to it. Get used to playing with people early because it will suck if you learn that later on when you have technical chops but no sense of groove.

This. I learned more in the first week I was in a band than the 3 months I spent before with youtube tutorials and internet tabs of songs.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Southern Heel posted:

I try to play short scales and as far as I can tell there's no real disadvantages in terms of tone or playability. I have an Epiphone Allen Woody Rumblekat and that is your typical description of a short scale in that is has a rounder tone and not punchy at all. Then I have a custom bass built by a San Diego luthier (Bone Basses), and that bass is the punchiest I've ever played. The attack on that is insane. I know, surprise, surprise, a custom instrument sounds good.

Basically, I like short scales for comfort. If you have strings that are not tight enough, get thicker strings. There is the disadvantage that there are some limitation in terms of string selection, but there are many options available. Often times what you'll find with short scales is that they're made cheaply since they're almost exclusively sold as beginner instruments (until you start looking at Alembic).

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Macavity posted:

This. I learned more in the first week I was in a band than the 3 months I spent before with youtube tutorials and internet tabs of songs.

Yeah, and I think playing in a band really helps straighten out one's priorities as far as equipment goes. Synthesizer pedals suddenly become a lot less interesting when one's bass amp is being buried by a tiny little 1x12" guitar amp.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Rifter17 posted:

Often times what you'll find with short scales is that they're made cheaply since they're almost exclusively sold as beginner instruments (until you start looking at Alembic).

Ehh not really... Only if you're looking at some of the big-box retailers like MF and GC and some of the bigger manufacturers that are already geared towards lower price-point and beginner instruments.

Eastwood has an awesome hollowbody shortscale, as does Lakland now, Hofner's seemingly makes nothing but short-scale, most original Gibson EB basses were short-scale, etc. etc.

It's generally considered more of a "vintage" thing than a "beginner" thing imo.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stravinsky posted:

For real. Another huge thing you can only get by playing with others regularly is to be able to actually listen to others while you play. Creating space and dynamics with the people you are playing with as needed is so rewarding. Granted I play with a group of friends in more of a jam band, but it doesn't matter how good you are if you don't know how to gel with the sound that everyone else is creating. Plus, having a sort of weekly meetup will give you something to be excited about showing up to and practicing for.