Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

djfooboo posted:

We aren’t offering ECMO, CRRT, CPR/Defib isn’t even offered if your wrap sheet is long. Families are piiiiiiiiised 94 yo nana doesn’t get pulverised chest and poor outcomes.

Is there a committee that looks at each case or it more guideline/algorithm based?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

ICU doc and palliative doc make the call together.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

Bum the Sad posted:

Oh no how you gonna learn to make a bed with mitered corners now!?!

Our first lab was about learning how to don and doff PPE.
As you can imagine they couldn't really do that :v: we got to watch our tutor do it with a gown and a mask that was being reused by all of the tutors.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

B-Mac posted:

Is there a committee that looks at each case or it more guideline/algorithm based?

My system is making a committee purely to take it out of the hands of frontline providers.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Hi all -

First off, I'm sure that you're all incredibly busy responding to the current pandemic, so thank you for even starting to read my post.

I'm interested in getting info on psychiatric nurse practitioner direct entry programs. I have a bachelor's and master's in CS and have been working as a software engineer for the past 10 years, but I've been interested in switching careers for a fair amount of time. I applied to PhD programs for clinical psychology after doing a ton of research to figure out my academic interests but unfortunately was not admitted this cycle. It seems that my best option if I decide to be a psychologist would be to pay for a master's and then reapply.

Given that any career change seems like it'd cost money, I'm considering the PMHNP program because it seems like the most direct way to accomplish my career goals. Clinical psychology appealed to me because I was excited to be able to both do research and care for patients directly. It seems like there are academic opportunities for nurses, but unlike a PhD, I'd also be well suited to practice in a hospital environment.

A PMHNP program seems like it would be a great opportunity to prepare me to treat patients throughout their lifecycles. I feel like I'd be able to do it all - some outpatient talk therapy, some medication management, some outpatient care and some hospital care, etc. etc. It seems to me that a nursing degree is incredibly practical and that I'll likely be able to get a job of my choice doing hands-on patient work that really matters.

I'd love to get feedback from any PMHNPs about what they do and what they like about their jobs in addition to any feedback in general about maximizing my chances to get into a program. I scored at the 90th percentile or above for all sections of the GRE, my master's and undergrad degrees are from a top 3 engineering school in the U.S. (though my undergrad and graduate GPAs are around 3.0), and I currently work at a big Silicon Valley tech firm. I have a few prereqs that I need to take as my coursework is out of date, but I have always enjoyed math and science, and I have taken at least one class in all of the prereq areas as part of my gen ed requirements for undergrad. I also understand that nursing school is very expensive and have saved up a substantial chunk of change so I can avoid taking out student loans.

Thanks so much for reading!

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
That's a very specific field you're looking into and I suspect you may not find anyone here who can give you much helpful info. I'm pretty sure this forum has 2 CRNAs and one NP total, and I'm adult acute care so about as far from helpful as can be.

The psych NPs I've worked with are generally very happy with their jobs and there's lots of demand, so it's something I'd absolutely encourage anyone with a passion for to look into.

Maybe try the allnurses forum? There's some weird poo poo over there but last I remember they had an advanced practice subforum that wasn't too loony.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I wish I could help more. The psych NPs I've talked to all really liked their lives and every psych nurse I've ever talked to hated everyone and everything. I also got the idea that the psych NPs had such a different curriculum that any comparison between them and AGACNP in terms of prep, difficulty, or the viability of direct entry would be a basic guess. I know all of the direct entry people in my program struggled for awhile, but with psych? No idea. I'm sorry.

(I also got basically 0 psych training in my program, fwiw)

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 1, 2020

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I applied and was accepted to a few direct entry psych NP programs a while back. There aren’t a ton, but I applied to Yale and UCSF. Yale gave me way more scholarship money but UCSF was better since I live in the Bay Area. I finished the first year at UCSF and got my RN. Was offered a full ride for the NP, but ended up deferring and then not continuing for a number of personal reasons (adopted kids with psych needs and knew I would burn out if I did it professionally too, my husband got laid off, and I was offered a great RN job). I know a lot about the application process and have lots of contacts in the field. Happy to answer questions - you can PM me if you prefer too.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

turing_test posted:

Hi all -

First off, I'm sure that you're all incredibly busy responding to the current pandemic, so thank you for even starting to read my post.

I'm interested in getting info on psychiatric nurse practitioner direct entry programs. I have a bachelor's and master's in CS and have been working as a software engineer for the past 10 years, but I've been interested in switching careers for a fair amount of time. I applied to PhD programs for clinical psychology after doing a ton of research to figure out my academic interests but unfortunately was not admitted this cycle. It seems that my best option if I decide to be a psychologist would be to pay for a master's and then reapply.

Given that any career change seems like it'd cost money, I'm considering the PMHNP program because it seems like the most direct way to accomplish my career goals. Clinical psychology appealed to me because I was excited to be able to both do research and care for patients directly. It seems like there are academic opportunities for nurses, but unlike a PhD, I'd also be well suited to practice in a hospital environment.

A PMHNP program seems like it would be a great opportunity to prepare me to treat patients throughout their lifecycles. I feel like I'd be able to do it all - some outpatient talk therapy, some medication management, some outpatient care and some hospital care, etc. etc. It seems to me that a nursing degree is incredibly practical and that I'll likely be able to get a job of my choice doing hands-on patient work that really matters.

I'd love to get feedback from any PMHNPs about what they do and what they like about their jobs in addition to any feedback in general about maximizing my chances to get into a program. I scored at the 90th percentile or above for all sections of the GRE, my master's and undergrad degrees are from a top 3 engineering school in the U.S. (though my undergrad and graduate GPAs are around 3.0), and I currently work at a big Silicon Valley tech firm. I have a few prereqs that I need to take as my coursework is out of date, but I have always enjoyed math and science, and I have taken at least one class in all of the prereq areas as part of my gen ed requirements for undergrad. I also understand that nursing school is very expensive and have saved up a substantial chunk of change so I can avoid taking out student loans.

Thanks so much for reading!

That’s a lot of specific info and questions. That means you’ve clearly considered most of it. I’m a gas passer-in-training, but I know a few psych NP’s and a student in a psych NP program. If you shoot me a pm with some specific questions I’ll forward it to them.

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
I’m both surprised and not surprised that I haven’t got a call for an interview since applying for nurse assistant jobs a couple weeks ago. Does anyone have ideas on what hiring looks like right now?

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Is it your first CNA job? That seems kind of surprising, but there may not be the resources to train a new CNA at the moment.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My hospital system just instituted a hiring freeze. Basically if you're not already trained to deal with COVID patients then we can't use you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Marchegiana posted:

My hospital system just instituted a hiring freeze. Basically if you're not already trained to deal with COVID patients then we can't use you.

Also, since the hospitals in this godforsaken country are for-profit, they might not actually want to hire more folks if they can avoid it since all of their lucrative elective procedures just got stopped and they're having to spend a lot of money on exceedingly not-lucrative critical care.

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
Sorry, I should specify that I'm in Canada, and I have 2 years experience working as an aide on top of my nursing degree.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ravenfood posted:

Also, since the hospitals in this godforsaken country are for-profit, they might not actually want to hire more folks if they can avoid it since all of their lucrative elective procedures just got stopped and they're having to spend a lot of money on exceedingly not-lucrative critical care.

Yep. My hospital is pulling from current staff that are in non-clinical roles at the moment. I got the email today asking when the last time I was bedside and in what level of care.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Nurse managers in my facility are being retrained for critical care bedside nursing if they have "recent" ICU experience. One manager has been in her position for 11 years and is being retrained.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Anybody else getting frantic requests from nursing staffing companies to go to NY for >$100/hr?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Cacafuego posted:

Anybody else getting frantic requests from nursing staffing companies to go to NY for >$100/hr?

Yes and if I didn’t have a baby I would probably do it. Our census has dropped dramatically, people have been getting mandatory calls off, it’s the calm before the storm here. I’d love to make 10k for one pay period.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Yeah the stipulation are like 7 12s, you have to provide your own PPE, and your can't leave the hotel they provide for you, etc

Those contacts don't look like much fun

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Roki B posted:

Nursing don't look like much fun

Fixed for you.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Nursing is easy to break into for anyone of average intelligence. It's a hard job though and you should go into it for humanistic reasons and not for professional ambition. Also if you're smart enough to be a doctor, go be a doctor. You get to help people just as much and you get more respect. No matter how skilled you become as a nurse you will never break the "white coat ceiling" socially. It's like the difference between enlisted and officers.

It's why you see a lot of pandering to nurses in the media from doctors. They know we're at the bottom and it's a faux pas to punch down. Crew expendable.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Lol be a doctor do you really realize how grueling that is? loving stupid.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
If you want to wear a cool white coat, be an NP (or PA), not a physician. Most of the pay, most of the respect, basically none of the debt (well except for the PAs, sorry folks) and you don't have to spend years of your life climbing a hierarchy that everyone acknowledges sucks but can never be changed for reasons.

Also the nurses are cooler to you because you know how poo poo works and no one has to lie about 1h neuro checks, I&Os or how much ativan they just gave the detoxing alcoholic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

If you want to wear a cool white coat, be an NP (or PA), not a physician. Most of the pay, most of the respect, basically none of the debt (well except for the PAs, sorry folks) and you don't have to spend years of your life climbing a hierarchy that everyone acknowledges sucks but can never be changed for reasons.

Also the nurses are cooler to you because you know how poo poo works and no one has to lie about 1h neuro checks, I&Os or how much ativan they just gave the detoxing alcoholic.

Lol no. I'm a NP now and I'm making nowhere near the same amount of money. Like, less than a 3rd to a 5th, depending, and i dont get reimbursed for procedures either. Granted, I'm not anywhere near as useful as an attending and I didn't have to spend 5+ years of my life in a residency/fellowship to do critical care, and my schooling was both cheaper and a lot shorter, so I'm not really bummed out by it. Also definitely don't get the same respect from patients, but the perks of nurses not bullshitting you anywhere near as much helps with that. I don't regret going to NP school but I sure wouldn't say you get anywhere in the same league of salary of anyone but residents (for a better schedule, granted.) So yeah. NP school is great, and definitely was better for me than med school.

E: math may be different for other specialities, to be fair.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 8, 2020

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

E: math may be different for other specialities, to be fair.

Yeah, specialties get all hosed up. I'm a hospitalist and probably make 60-70% of my physician coworker salaries while working fewer hours. If I were part of a surgical or procedure team I'm sure my salary would be kept in the pretty cash drawer.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
Hey Dirp, or anyone about to graduate/take boards of any kind, have you all run into issues with Pearson Vue being closed/only partially open? I should get my ATT Thursday, but I’m some places people are being told they may not be able to test until July.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I'm in the same boat. I've heard alot more testing centers are going to start opening 50% capacity this week and healthcare is supposed to be prioritized but I have no idea what that means until I get my ATT and see what's open. I'm on the east coast but I'll drive to California if it means taking boards soon and being done with studying.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Dirp posted:

I'm in the same boat. I've heard alot more testing centers are going to start opening 50% capacity this week and healthcare is supposed to be prioritized but I have no idea what that means until I get my ATT and see what's open. I'm on the east coast but I'll drive to California if it means taking boards soon and being done with studying.

You’re in the middle of the east coast, right? B/c if you steal my testing spot I will kill you!

I’m in the same boat. I’ll drive anywhere to take the NCE. Hopefully you’ll get your ATT soon.

Xepherra
Apr 4, 2008

It burst into flames! It burst into flames, and it's falling, it's crashing!

trauma llama posted:

Hey Dirp, or anyone about to graduate/take boards of any kind, have you all run into issues with Pearson Vue being closed/only partially open? I should get my ATT Thursday, but I’m some places people are being told they may not be able to test until July.

I graduate in 2 weeks. I’m expecting to need to travel to take my NCLEX promptly. I’m in northern NJ which is a dumpster fire right now.

That said, if anyone has any protips on where to go or avoid for jobs in the area please hmu, DM’s are open, etc. For context I’d like to go into critical care or ER if possible but will be grateful for any job in a good environment.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
We have a tech on the floor that's had his ATT for like a month and a half now and cannot get it scheduled anywhere nearby.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Crawled through the river of poo poo that was CRNA school and have now come out clean on the other side.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Dirp posted:

Crawled through the river of poo poo that was CRNA school and have now come out clean on the other side.

No

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
No one comes out clean, but it really wasn’t that bad. Apparently I’m a doctor-nurse gas passer now.

Still have boards in a week. poo poo.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

trauma llama posted:

No one comes out clean, but it really wasn’t that bad. Apparently I’m a doctor-nurse gas passer now.

Still have boards in a week. poo poo.

Took them yesterday and found it to be much easier versus apex practice exams.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
How many American RNs buy their own liability insurance, meaning not provided by their employer?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

computer angel posted:

How many American RNs buy their own liability insurance, meaning not provided by their employer?

Never heard of it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Dirp posted:

Took them yesterday and found it to be much easier versus apex practice exams.

I assume that means you passed. Congrats man. Welcome to the club. :toot:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

computer angel posted:

Unless you are an APP RN, It’s pretty rare. I only know two of my BSN-level colleagues who carry it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

computer angel posted:

Unless you are an APP RN, It’s pretty rare. I only know two of my BSN-level colleagues who carry it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
I carried my own because I’m ICU and it’s ~$100/year. ICU, ED, and L&D are areas most likely to be sued, and insurance will usually help you out with a lawyer in case of board issues.