Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006
Decided to finally flush my disgusting coolant and replace my radiator.

This poo poo was disgusting. Full of scale and smelled like vinegar. Not sure if it was the 12 year old factory coolant, stop leak, or some combination thereof.

New rad and hoses:

atlas barfed fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

atlas barfed posted:

Decided to finally flush my disgusting coolant and replace my radiator.

This poo poo was disgusting. Full of scale and smelled like vinegar. Not sure if it was the 12 year old factory coolant, stop leak, or some combination thereof.

Your username is incredibly apt. :barf:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Installed a 'drift' brand oil catch can and plumbed the tappet breather back into the intake. Fixed a vacuum leak in a mystery vacuum hose and found another that is running from my power-steering pump to a place I like to call hanging in the breeze.

The service manual says it is the power steering air-valve and it needs be plumbed in just before the MAF so that's next weekends project.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Back in the beginning of summer I posted in the stupid questions thread about how I might get my sunroof back in working order. The motor worked, but the wires went to a mystery box that somehow went bad and I didn't know quite enough to bypass the box completely. A kind goon pointed me to a diagram for a switch to invert the power, and long story short Ive finally been able to use my sunroof. I dont have working AC either, so it was a big help in the summer.

No pictures of the project because really it was pretty boring, but I did get one of the only decal Ive ever put on any of my four cars.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Is that backwards? Which way is the writing facing from below? :spergin:

I got the missing piece of windshield trim, pulled the three remaining snaps out, and with the two that were in it..

Waiting on replacement radio and seat covers, then this project is officially done after a wash!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Viggen posted:

Is that backwards? Which way is the writing facing from below? :spergin:

I got the missing piece of windshield trim, pulled the three remaining snaps out, and with the two that were in it..
Backwards? You mean upside-down? The ears are pointing to the rear of the car, if thats what youre asking.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cage posted:

The ears are pointing to the rear of the car, if thats what youre asking.

That's precisely what I was wondering. So you see the bat-logo properly when you look up!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah I see the bat signal in the sky wherever I am. Its lame, but you dont really notice it unless youre in the car.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Friend ordered what was supposed to be a factory aux input for a 2006-2011 Civic, for her 2006 Civic, from a reputable seller on ebay. The wiring is pre-installed from the factory, but you have to cut a small hole and attach the jack, then plug in the included pigtail to the existing wiring.

Went to her place to install it. Wait a minute, this doesn't look anything like what the PDF says I should have... and it has 5 pins instead of 6.. and the plug doesn't fit.. and where's the pigtail.. :suicide:

Turns out the seller had mislisted it as 2006-2011, when it's actually for 2008-2011. The 2006-2007 part is $55 instead of $20. gently caress that, I found the pinout for the 06-07, I'll snag a jack from Radio Shack and solder a pigtail on it for under $5.

In the event we can't get the seller to take it back, anybody need the 08-11 aux input thing? :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 25, 2012

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Not mine, but I've been pressed into service helping my father-in-law restore his cardiologist's 1956 C1 Corvette (for fun and profit!) Apparently he bought it in the early 80s in Arizona, drove it home and after a few years started taking it apart until he was in over his head and its been sitting ever since in a storage unit.

Today's progress: removed body from the frame without breaking anything.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Did the RTABs and rear swaybar links/bushings on my e36. Actually took a week because my swaybar was so rusted I had to get a new one.

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
I've had a very intermittent clicking sound coming from the rear of the F150 for a couple weeks now, and today it went from rarely making a sound, to almost constant clicking. Jacked up the rear axle and did some snooping around but didn't find anything suspicious. Then I pulled the driveshaft and checked out the u-joints. The rear most one was so bad, I could hear it grind when I moved it by hand.

A quick trip to the parts store and one hour later I had everything buttoned back up. Glad I caught it before my hour long commute tomorrow or it would have most likely failed.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
KYB GR2s and stabilizer bar links on the back of the $50 T-Bird.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

kimcicle posted:

I took it to the DMV to get it registered and they told me any front window tint is now illegal in California.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

Did the DMV look at your vehicle and tell you this or did you say "hey can i have tint?" because of course dmv is going to just tell you you cant have it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Argenteus posted:

I've had a very intermittent clicking sound coming from the rear of the F150 for a couple weeks now, and today it went from rarely making a sound, to almost constant clicking. Jacked up the rear axle and did some snooping around but didn't find anything suspicious. Then I pulled the driveshaft and checked out the u-joints. The rear most one was so bad, I could hear it grind when I moved it by hand.

Ages ago, my stepdad replaced the front u-joint in my 1980 F-150 (I didn't know poo poo about cars back then.. well, don't know much more now either). I picked it up, started driving home...

5 miles later the front yoke snapped. I got yelled at for "racing" (140 hp in a 4500 pound truck? a 3 cylinder geo metro could outrun it). Because I'm sure the front u-joint being replaced and the front yoke snapping nearly immediately aren't related in any way. :shepface:

The truck started shaking violently right before it broke, I was pulling over when it broke. I was barely moving when the truck got a giant boner..

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Today I painted a couple wheels. I did it outside, in the wind. They don't look great and have a few runs but are much better than before. I filled in the curbed areas with bondo and prepped them decently, but to no avail because I just spray bombed them anyway. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ran out of gas. In my driveway. :shepicide:

I knew it was low when I parked, but figured I'd have enough to get it started again. I guess that the steep driveway made the little bit that was in there slosh away from the fuel pump.

Also found out that the gas in the gas can (for the lawnmower) was pretty drat stale, and my car definitely made its opinion of said stale gas known.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 29, 2012

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.
Finished applying epoxy primer and sealer to my 280ZX engine bay.

Hopefully going to paint next weekend!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh hey there ball joints, I need you to come out please. Oh, you won't come out of your control arm? How about a pitman puller? Oh, you are laughing at a loving pitman puller? How about a puller, pickle fork, and a loving torch for 10 minutes? WELL gently caress YOU TOO THEN.

(It took 20 minutes of the torch and pickle fork + pitman to get the ball joint out.
Then it wouldn't press out, even with a press, so I had to bring the hubs to a shop. And the new ball joints had a grease insert that rubbed up against the axles. :suicide:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What vehicle? I usually use the big hammer trick, crank the press or whatever down and then whack it with a hammer and see what happens.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
1999 Ford Taurus.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Had intentions of replacing the driver's side foglight bulb on the A4.

First step in the service manual is "remove front bumper" :suicide:

There is no way to sneak the housing out of the front of the hole it goes through as an adjustment bolt is in the way. The backside is contained within the intercooler shroud, so I guess I have to figure out how to get at it from the back?? Superior German Engineering at its best...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Timmy Cruise posted:

Had intentions of replacing the driver's side foglight bulb on the A4.

First step in the service manual is "remove front bumper" :suicide:

There is no way to sneak the housing out of the front of the hole it goes through as an adjustment bolt is in the way. The backside is contained within the intercooler shroud, so I guess I have to figure out how to get at it from the back?? Superior German Engineering at its best...

Beetle Turbo S has the same issue... no way around it in that case, remove bumper. VAG engineering at its finest.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Since we're discussing "Superior German Engineering"...

I replaced the main drive belt in my BMW 1996 328is. When I'd bought new tires a few months ago, the inspection report (which they did gratis - every time I go to Kal Tire I get a bit happier) said "badly cracked". There were indeed a few rather severe cracks and chips from the edges on the old belt. It took way longer than it should have for me to do this, mainly because I don't know what the hell I'm doing under the hood of a car. But, I managed to replace the belt without removing the fan.

The A/C belt was in pretty rough shape, but I couldn't put it back on even if I wanted to because I managed to crack both sockets that hold my hex-head screwdriver bits (6.5mm and 1/4 inch) in the process of pushing the tensioners out of the way. So one task crossed off the list, one new task (get better tools, replace A/C belt) added.

Also, gently caress plastic clips. I am by no means an experienced mechanic, I'd call myself "barely capable" when it comes to working on my car. But every time I've tried to do anything, the plastic clips I encounter are always the worst part of the job. They break, the slice my fingers, and they fall into awkward places. gently caress that poo poo.

Belt Replacement 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I don't know if it's hearsay but do auto manufacturers engineer in complicated poo poo like that so their dealers can get guaranteed work?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

azzenco posted:

I don't know if it's hearsay but do auto manufacturers engineer in complicated poo poo like that so their dealers can get guaranteed work?

I think it's more likely that some things get built separately then crammed together with no thought to maintenance, like an engine designed for a rear-wheel drive vehicle getting mounted in a front-wheel drive vehicle, making the oil filter extremely difficult to change, etc.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
It seems absolutely retarded that a consumable replacement requires removal of a major body component. These lights are used for driving lights as well as fogs, so they are on for all day time driving. Its just so stupid...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hey man, it sure made putting it together on the assembly line easy and fast. What's your problem?

:shepicide:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
As I've remarked before, daily driving a 30 year old car will find you suddenly beset with bizarre failures. Parts that have no maintenance schedule suddenly fail. Tonight the 240d gave me a new one. I broke my air-cleaner assembly. No, not the filter, the housing that contains it failed. It did this while cruising down the highway.

Basically it's held on to the intake manifold by three rubberized mounting bolts. At the outermost mounting point the metal of the housing itself fatigued and cracked out. Weird.

Oh and one more thing, the racket a four-cylinder diesel will make when one of the three mounting bolts holding its air-cleaner assembly is broken is quite impressive. I seriously thought I cracked an exhaust manifold or dropped a valve or something bad wrong.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 1, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ExecuDork posted:

Since we're discussing "Superior German Engineering"...

I replaced the main drive belt in my BMW 1996 328is. When I'd bought new tires a few months ago, the inspection report (which they did gratis - every time I go to Kal Tire I get a bit happier) said "badly cracked". There were indeed a few rather severe cracks and chips from the edges on the old belt. It took way longer than it should have for me to do this, mainly because I don't know what the hell I'm doing under the hood of a car. But, I managed to replace the belt without removing the fan.

The A/C belt was in pretty rough shape, but I couldn't put it back on even if I wanted to because I managed to crack both sockets that hold my hex-head screwdriver bits (6.5mm and 1/4 inch) in the process of pushing the tensioners out of the way. So one task crossed off the list, one new task (get better tools, replace A/C belt) added.

Also, gently caress plastic clips. I am by no means an experienced mechanic, I'd call myself "barely capable" when it comes to working on my car. But every time I've tried to do anything, the plastic clips I encounter are always the worst part of the job. They break, the slice my fingers, and they fall into awkward places. gently caress that poo poo.

Belt Replacement 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

Are you referring to the radiator clips? Those are easy peezy, just stick a small flathead in the thin part of the "T" slot and pull it up from the radiator.

I've also done the "snake new belt around fan" trick and I'll never do it again. Take the time to figure out how to remove the fan and it makes the job 5x as easy. You don't even need the fan clutch tool, just a screwdriver, 32mm wrench and big fuckoff sledge. I got so many scratches trying to get the belt around the blades.

azzenco posted:

I'd say it's a case of designing for the assembly line.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 1, 2012

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

kastein posted:

Hey man, it sure made putting it together on the assembly line easy and fast. What's your problem?

:shepicide:

I can see the thought process from that perspective, but it totally ignores the service aspect.

Anyway, by being creative (some strategic use of a knife... ) , I got the housing into the inter cooler ducting, which meant I could spin it around enough to change the bulb.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Crustashio posted:

Are you referring to the radiator clips? Those are easy peezy, just stick a small flathead in the thin part of the "T" slot and pull it up from the radiator.
This is not true. I did that, no movement, utterly futile.

Crustashio posted:

I've also done the "snake new belt around fan" trick and I'll never do it again. Take the time to figure out how to remove the fan and it makes the job 5x as easy. You don't even need the fan clutch tool, just a screwdriver, 32mm wrench and big fuckoff sledge. I got so many scratches trying to get the belt around the blades.
No problems at all getting the belt around the fan. I don't own a big fuckoff sledge, and I don't understand your instructions - I have the 32mm wrench, but I couldn't hold the assembly steady while turning with the 32mm. Where would the screwdriver go?

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

trouser chili posted:

As I've remarked before, daily driving a 30 year old car will find you suddenly beset with bizarre failures. Parts that have no maintenance schedule suddenly fail. Tonight the 240d gave me a new one. I broke my air-cleaner assembly. No, not the filter, the housing that contains it failed. It did this while cruising down the highway.

Basically it's held on to the intake manifold by three rubberized mounting bolts. At the outermost mounting point the metal of the housing itself fatigued and cracked out. Weird.

Oh and one more thing, the racket a four-cylinder diesel will make when one of the three mounting bolts holding its air-cleaner assembly is broken is quite impressive. I seriously thought I cracked an exhaust manifold or dropped a valve or something bad wrong.

FYI, I was at speedway salvage today, it has 3 high-mileage, rusty w123's with pillaged interiors. 2 are 240's with engines and most engine accessories, one had that aluminum aircleaner housing.

A mostly untouched Mercedes 280se yielded working ACC parts, just in time to replace the servo unit that is leaking coolant again. This system was just a taste of Mercedes-Benz and Chrysler's collaboration...

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

MATLAB 1988 posted:

FYI, I was at speedway salvage today, it has 3 high-mileage, rusty w123's with pillaged interiors. 2 are 240's with engines and most engine accessories, one had that aluminum aircleaner housing.

A mostly untouched Mercedes 280se yielded working ACC parts, just in time to replace the servo unit that is leaking coolant again. This system was just a taste of Mercedes-Benz and Chrysler's collaboration...

Great information, thanks!. Unfortunately I don't have the time to get there in the next two weeks, so I stopped by McClaren motors on the way home and saw Anselm. He dug up a very dirty but intact aircleaner assembly for me, $25. I'm currently soaking it in gasoline, the poor 240d it came from must not have had a single seal that didn't leak and for many thousands of miles. Simple green barely dented the crud.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Couldn't get the M5 to pass I/M (O2 sensor not ready, Evap not ready, Secondary Air System not ready) so I got to drive on the freeway for 20 minutes at 50mph turning 2500RPM. Got tailgated and honked at by about a hundred people. Come on people, the far right lane is for slow traffic, feel free to pass me.

Finally got the registration renewed, though. Popped a tire and Big O couldn't fix it, so now I get to make use of Tirerack's absolutely poo poo roadhazard warranty and try and find another 255/35/18 tire. Lemme know if you know where to get one for cheap.

One cool thing I discovered: Torque will read your car's I/M sensors and tell you when they're ready, so you can use the $10 ELM27 Bluetooth OBDII adapter and Torque to find out while you're driving, instead of having to visit the I/M station every week.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Found a mobile mechanic. :smug: He has 13 years of experience. He is ASE certified, insured, and licensed to work in Idaho, and he's cheap.

35$ an hour book time and flat rates on common jobs. The water pump/tensioner/idler/belt will only run me 90$, and the heater core is only going to cost 200$ + parts.

gently caress yeah!

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Put some new wheels on:

I found these new with tires at a local shop for nearly the same price another tire place wanted to sell me new tires for my Honda wheels. The tires are Kumho ASTs which I am not to fond of, in too small of a profile, but it will get me through the winter. I had my eye on these wheels anyway, stoked I could find a mint set. I need to paint the lugs black.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Nait Sirhc posted:

Couldn't get the M5 to pass I/M (O2 sensor not ready, Evap not ready, Secondary Air System not ready) so I got to drive on the freeway for 20 minutes at 50mph turning 2500RPM. Got tailgated and honked at by about a hundred people. Come on people, the far right lane is for slow traffic, feel free to pass me.

Out of curiosity did you have your flashers on? They're being dickish either way but I would hope people wouldn't honk at someone with their flashers on because they obviously know they're going slow and have a good reason.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ExecuDork posted:

This is not true. I did that, no movement, utterly futile.

No problems at all getting the belt around the fan. I don't own a big fuckoff sledge, and I don't understand your instructions - I have the 32mm wrench, but I couldn't hold the assembly steady while turning with the 32mm. Where would the screwdriver go?

Eh, that screwdriver method has worked on every e36 radiator I've had to mess with. Helped a few people do that one.

For fan removal, the screwdriver gets wedged between the bolt heads/fan shaft on the water pump (the thing in the bottom left of the picture. Have the screwdriver pointing towards the left of the car (from the front). Use the 32mm wrench to rotate the fan clockwise until the grip runs into the A/C pulley attached to the crank. Wind up and smack it with a sledge.

Some people (in I assume less rusty climates) have had luck just putting the 32mm wrench on the fan clutch nut and just smacking it with a hammer. I tried that for 10 minutes before finding the screwdriver trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Ah, I see! Thank you!