Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tunicate posted:

Well, his message did get to Marsh, sooo...

But Marsh already knew about the spikes and the control they gave over people. Spook contributed nothing to the main story and his scenes were only relevant because Sazed was there. Everything that happened with Sazed could have taken place anywhere too. Its not like he even contributed to Sazed's character arc either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Nitrousoxide posted:

All told I think I'll read the next mistborn book.

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kraps posted:

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

I like the story but Sanderson has a problem with leaving too much fat in the books. The second book had a pointless first third to half. The third book has issues with the Spook storyline. Aside from those structure issues, the characterization is fine the world is interesting, the magic is cool and the descriptions are engaging.

If the fat was cut they would be great books rather than just middling.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I like the story but Sanderson has a problem with leaving too much fat in the books. The second book had a pointless first third to half. The third book has issues with the Spook storyline. Aside from those structure issues, the characterization is fine the world is interesting, the magic is cool and the descriptions are engaging.

He gets better! Mistborn was still pretty early in his career. :)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

But Marsh already knew about the spikes and the control they gave over people. Spook contributed nothing to the main story and his scenes were only relevant because Sazed was there. Everything that happened with Sazed could have taken place anywhere too. Its not like he even contributed to Sazed's character arc either.

I don't think Marsh knew that Vin had a spike, though. He learned that Vin could take in the mists and that Ruin was afraid of that. Spooks message (that a spike doesn't need to be large and could be tiny) made him realise that Vin may have a spike, and couldn't take in the mists when it was in.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

While I enjoyed the books I did kinda feel the same way, which is partly why I love the next book so much.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Lobsterpillar posted:

I don't think Marsh knew that Vin had a spike, though. He learned that Vin could take in the mists and that Ruin was afraid of that. Spooks message (that a spike doesn't need to be large and could be tiny) made him realise that Vin may have a spike, and couldn't take in the mists when it was in.

Marsh didn't put together that she had a spike in her until the end. The plate didn't give him the idea. In fact, he already knew about spikes being small. He spiked, under the direction of Ruin, the king of the central province using a tiny spike. In fact we were treated to his Ruin inspired musings about how they could have used an even smaller instead of the spike he was using. The metal plate Marsh read for Ruin didn't tell him or the reader anything we didn't already know. It was pointless to kill him because he was literally the ONLY thing that might have let Spook have an impact on the main storyline.

I don't have a problem with exploring Spook's character, but Sanderson could have either given him some impact on the main storyline where he was or just moved him to the city that Elrand was sieging trying to take it from the inside. Then, at least, his actions could have pushed the main story along. As written, however, the Spook interludes were just pointless filler content that did nothing to drive the main story arc.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I do remember his chapters being a bit of a slog, but the thing about Spook is that his actions post-Mistborn trilogy dramatically impact the world and will probably influence the next two trilogies in that world. He didn't do much to impact the overall plot of the original three books though.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I finished the third Mistborn book it was okay. I didn't feel like Spook's chapters really contributed anything to the story at all.

SUPER END OF BOOK SPOILERS, DO NOT MOUSE OVER IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE BOOK
Aside from Tensoon coming to pick up Sazed and run him off to the final battle what happened in the city Spook spent the whole time in didn't matter. If Spook had died about 2 pages into his first chapter of the book, as long as Sazed ended up finishing his religion investigation the book would have ended the same. Even the messenger Spook sent didn't get to his destination. Nothing Spook did mattered at all.

Apart from that I felt the story was pretty good. Sazed assention was spoiled by people in this thread NOT SPOILING TALK ABOUT THAT. Though after Vin became the spirit of preservation I expected him to become the spirt of destruction rather than getting both powers.

All told I think I'll read the next mistborn book.

Spook's chapters weren't there for the rest of the world, they were there for you to understand how Ruin works. It also set him up as someone worthy of leading the post-post-apocalyptic world. He's critical to understanding what is going on. Sure, it could have been done differently, but I liked his chapters and prefer it the way it is.

As for spoilers, this is the general Sanderson thread, and the book has been out for years. Spoiler policy says it's fair game. I checked.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
I do remember his chapters being a bit of a slog, but the thing about Spook is that his actions post-Mistborn trilogy dramatically impact the world and will probably influence the next two trilogies in that world. He didn't do much to impact the overall plot of the original three books though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

apt gangbang posted:

What happened there?

And yeah, just like Vin was used in book 1 to examine Allomancy, and Sazed was used in book 2 to learn about Feruchemy, Spooks chapters were used to teach the reader (not the rest of the world) what Hemalurgy can do.

Also, seeing the church of the Survivor pick up Spook as a new survivor was pretty vital to Sazed's arc so I'd disagree that it wasn't important to the immediate plot anyway.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Well I posted first and don't have an alt so :confused:

I have a feeling we'll learn more Spook stuff in the next trilogy or Alloy of Law sequel; he probably got up to some weird stuff.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just finished Words of Radiance and wow...I thought that was his best book by far. Sanderson continues to consistently improve.

Gonna read this whole thread to see what people have to say, before I go further in depth.

EDIT:

Fezz posted:

That excerpt was posted on Tor.com.

In any case: The guy with the white scar has shown up a few times prior to that. Most notably in the two prologues and the Ym interlude. Speculation is that he's one of the heralds, the one linked to the just attribute and has gone crazy over the thousands of years and is now doing a sort of dark justice by killing new knight radiants in order to prevent the coming desolation. Similar to the herald who is going around destroying art from Way of Kings.
I am dumb. :saddowns:

While I figured out Judge Dred was a Herald during his appearance before Seth it never crossed my mind that lady might be a Herald.

I'm going to have to reread all their chapters now.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 31, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
We have apparently seen all 10 heralds

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

computer parts posted:

Skin Game in about 5 days.

What's skin game, precious?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

uh zip zoom posted:

What's skin game, precious?

The new Dresden Files book by Jim Butcher.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

ulmont posted:

The new Dresden Files book by Jim Butcher.

My good friend keeps telling me to read those. Are they all heists? I saw the first episode of that adaptation they did for sci-fi; wasn't terrible.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

uh zip zoom posted:

My good friend keeps telling me to read those. Are they all heists? I saw the first episode of that adaptation they did for sci-fi; wasn't terrible.

No, the most recent is a heist. The rest are all mysteries really. Takes a real Noir theme at times.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
He's definitely in the vein of the hard-bitten, chain-smoking, whiskey-swigging detectives (though he only drinks the occasional *craft* beer and only smokes when he's literally on fire, which happens a lot) taking cases for hard-on-their-luck "dames" and getting shot at constantly. There's lots of internal monologue similar to that genre as well. Dresden's also a huge goon that plays D&D, wears trenchcoats, and literally lives in a basement with swords. Despite the covers, he actually is never said to wear a hat (so no fedora for the bingo) but I think he wore cut-off shorts in one book. Jim Butcher has no qualms making fun of his character.

It's a pretty fun series, though Dresden has a weird attitude about women; author-wise, female characters are generally capable and some are terrifying.

E: I'm told that the cut-offs were actually boxers with duckies on them.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

If you start reading the series, the first book or two are kinda bad but get steadily better.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

rafikki posted:

If you start reading the series, the first book or two are kinda bad but get steadily better.

they're just kinda bleh, but picks up quickly around book 3 and by book 4 is genuinely awesome. after that they just get better for the most part.

Also his Codex Alera series is full on great

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

treeboy posted:

Also his Codex Alera series is full on great

Until the final book when it suddenly becomes DBZ.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Until the final book when it suddenly becomes DBZ.

The codex alera books are terrible. Shoddy plotting, boring characters who do stupid things, and mysteries that are telegraphed for hundreds of pages before being revealed as exactly what everyone thought they were. And there's none of the winning humor of the Dresden Files. Stay far away.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Just finished Alloy of Law.

It was great, easily my favorite Sanderson yet. I wouldn't say his prose has improved a ton compared to Elantris/Mistborn, but he sure has cut out of lot of the annoying issues I had with previous books.

Looking forward to the next Wax and Wayne book, any word on when to expect it?

Can't decide if I want to read Warbreaker next, or just move on to Way of Kings.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Damo posted:

It was great, easily my favorite Sanderson yet. I wouldn't say his prose has improved a ton compared to Elantris/Mistborn, but he sure has cut out of lot of the annoying issues I had with previous books.

Can't decide if I want to read Warbreaker next, or just move on to Way of Kings.

I think either later this year or in the first half of next year. There is an advance chapter on brandonsanderson.com (that was linked a page or so back)

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Damo posted:

Warbreaker is pretty short, and there's an easter egg in WoK/WoR if you've already read it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I found Alloy of Law and Words of Radiance much funnier than his previous works. Since my sense of humor hasn't changed in the last couple of years I guess he's finally getting better at that. :colbert:

EDIT: Changed Way of Kings to Words of Radiance

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 2, 2014

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

I found Alloy of Law and Way of Kings much funnier than his previous works. Since my sense of humor hasn't changed in the last couple of years I guess he's finally getting better at that. :colbert:

Yeah, Wayne is a fantastic character, aside from his humor and skills, the parts from his POV and his ruminations on hats and accents and life in general are amazing IMO.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

For those that don't know, Brandon Sanderson does a weekly podcast with some other writers. http://www.writingexcuses.com

He doesn't generally get into details about the plot of his books but it is interesting to see how he thinks about his magic systems and structure of his novels.

The podcast is more focused on aspiring writers than readers of his books but as even someone who ends up on the shameful mention list on the thunderdome more often then not, like I do, its actually really interesting.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 1, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
WOR If the Spren can never really die and come back to life if their Knight regains his honor, then surely a Shard can never truly die either, merely be broken or merged with another.

I wonder if Odium merely dealt Honor the final blow. Unlike Ruin, Preservation or Cultivation, Honor is not based on a physical process but on an ideal. If the collective beliefs and ideals of people can so strongly effect the makeup of reality as is explained by Jasnah, then surely the betrayal of nine Heralds and then the Knights Radiant would effect Honor quite negatively, weakening him severely.

Conversely, if Kaladin and Dalinar bring honor back into this world, could not Honor be resurrected, or at the least his splinters greatly strengthened?

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 2, 2014

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Charlz Guybon posted:

WOR If the Spren can never really die and come back to life if their Knight regains his honor, then surely a Shard can never truly die either, merely be broken or merged with another.

I wonder if Odium merely dealt Honor the final blow. Unlike Ruin, Preservation or Cultivation, Honor is not based on a physical process but on an ideal. If the collective beliefs and ideals of people can so strongly effect the makeup of reality as is explained by Jasnah, then surely the betrayal of nine Heralds and then the Knights Radiant would effect Honor quite negatively, weakening him severely.

Conversely, if Kaladin and Dalinar bring honor back into this world, could not Honor be resurrected, or at the least his splinters greatly strengthened?

Honour was splintered, which is why there are so many more Spren around than their used to be. Theoretically it would be possible for someone to pick up the power if they were able to remerge the splinters of honour back into their whole. Pretty sure the Nahel bond is when someone takes up the power of Honour only on a much smaller scale with a much smaller piece of Honour (which is what I think happens with Investiture on other Shard worlds when somebody gains access to their relevant magic system, they are bonding with a piece of the shards power, so like what happened to Sazed except on a much much smaller scale.

What we are seeing with the Stormfather is what happens when there is no will behind a shards intent and the shard (or what's left of it) itself becomes sentient. That's my take on it anyway.

Tanadon
May 18, 2014

So I thoroughly enjoyed the Mistborn Trilogy but wasn't enamored with Elantris, where should I go next?

I'm not entirely sure if I want to read The Allow of Law considering the ending of the trilogy, I can ascertain form lurking people enjoyed it but I'm not sure how well he's going to transition the world into modernity.

Nitrousoxide posted:

For those that don't know, Brandon Sanderson does a weekly podcast with some other writers. http://www.writingexcuses.com

Thanks for this, I now realise I've listened to a few before, great stuff.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Alloy of Law owns.

Warbreaker is a good next stop if you don't want more Mistborn. You can even get it free in PDF/ebook formats from his website.

Elantris is probably his weakest overall book. However, the Emperor's Soul is set on the same world (on another continent) and won a Hugo. It's probably his best piece to date.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Alloy of Law is the start of a NEW trilogy, not the end of anything. It's not even really a sequel to Mistborn, so much as a novel set in the same world hundreds of years later.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Read "The Emperor's Soul" next. It's a great short story.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Emperor's Soul is an amazing piece of literature, let alone fantasy. It's just well-paced, -structured, and -characterized all around.

shivwhorra
Jan 27, 2010

mostly harmless

thespaceinvader posted:

Alloy of Law is the start of a NEW trilogy, not the end of anything. It's not even really a sequel to Mistborn, so much as a novel set in the same world hundreds of years later.

From my understanding, AoL was a one-off. The second "trilogy" should start separate from that.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

shivwhorra posted:

From my understanding, AoL was a one-off. The second "trilogy" should start separate from that.
A two-off now, but yeah. AoL isn't part of the three-Mistborn-trilogies plan.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I enjoyed reading Legion a lot, and it's an extremely quick read. I love the concept and have said a few times that it would translate very well to tv with good casting of the core group of hallucinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Tor officially announced the White Sand graphic novels today. Brandon(or an assistant) just emailed me the ebook a few weeks ago. Should I go ahead and read it, or hold off and see the more polished version in 2015?