Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
This might be a bit of a dumb question, but regarding chili oils with flakes/crisp stuff at the bottom (like Lao Gan Ma for example)

I generally find that I end up draining it of oil pretty quickly and there's just the chili crisp stuff at the bottom. Do you guys add more oil to it or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Revitalized posted:

This might be a bit of a dumb question, but regarding chili oils with flakes/crisp stuff at the bottom (like Lao Gan Ma for example)

I generally find that I end up draining it of oil pretty quickly and there's just the chili crisp stuff at the bottom. Do you guys add more oil to it or anything?

No, I stir it up before using it and have oil the whole time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Revitalized posted:

skill issue

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fr0id posted:

Could I get some guidance on the super basics for authentic Chinese stir fry:
What are the measurements for meat and marinade
What are the measurements for seasoning?
What are the measurements for sauce, if any?

I know it’s soy sauce, white pepper, msg, alcohol, vinegar. What else and what amounts?

cut everything into similar size & shape pieces

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't crowd the pan! Cook one ingredient at a time of you have to. That's a common technique in Chinese home cooking. Then combine at the end for a quick heat through.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
For sauce, if you have no idea what you're doing with those, I would recommend starting with dark and light soy sauce, white pepper, and maybe a little sugar + some cooking wine to deglaze and going from there.

You'd probably also find this channel helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WujehK7kYLM&t=230s

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cantonese steamed fish is an easy and wonderful dish. It's always a delight. And guests/family love the hot oil sauce being poured over the serving dish at the table. If you can julienne a vegetable and you own a steamer you too can be a master chef for an evening.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 30, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That sounds good, I haven't done that in a while. Got to grab a fish next weekend.

Been doing pork and peppers with a yuxiang sauce a bunch recently.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I wonder who Julienne was. An immortal.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

potato

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Any recommended mooncake recipes?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's not really something people make themselves.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just looked it up because I'd never heard of it. Is this like asking American how they make their own Twinkies?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Every local Chinese bakery makes them and last year I watched Martin Yan make them in person in SF but I couldn't follow the recipe and don't remember it, so I don't think it's exactly an industrial process

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just looked it up because I'd never heard of it. Is this like asking American how they make their own Twinkies?

It’s something you can make, but you’d want the molds for it. It’s also a fairly time consuming process so it’s no wonder that a lot of people will just buy them at a bakery. But it’s not so exceptionally time consuming that you couldn’t do it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

big black turnout posted:

Any recommended mooncake recipes?

I made them once, and they were very good, but as long as I live in a place where I can go buy decent ones, I won’t bother again.

Unless I REALLY want to impress someone who loves them, or I get super fixated on a unique flavor idea that I think would somehow be best in a moon cake format.

That being said, if it’s just a project you think would be fun, give it a shot! Souped Up Recipes on YouTube has a few great videos about it.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Is there a mail order/online source for hua jiao (Sichuan peppercorns) that are actually have a decent kick to them? I picked some up at the Chinese supermarket that were green, which I thought meant they haven’t undergone the flavor-killing heat treatment. But they had barely any potency at all, even putting them straight up on my tongue. The package had a mid-2024 “best by” date so that probably wasn’t the issue either. Was kind of a bummer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Porfiriato posted:

Is there a mail order/online source for hua jiao (Sichuan peppercorns) that are actually have a decent kick to them? I picked some up at the Chinese supermarket that were green, which I thought meant they haven’t undergone the flavor-killing heat treatment. But they had barely any potency at all, even putting them straight up on my tongue. The package had a mid-2024 “best by” date so that probably wasn’t the issue either. Was kind of a bummer.

Green is a variety, it doesn't have anything to do with how they're treated. Green is generally more floral and citrusy. 50hertz, Mala Market, and Fly by Jing all sell good Sichuan pepper. The stuff in the grocery is usually poo poo yeah, even in Chengdu.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Porfiriato posted:

2024 Best Buy date means that they were probably already a few years old.

Honestly, These ones from Amazon are my favorite. Intense flavor, plenty of numbing, and literally not a single seed last batch.

https://a.co/d/72oSpQc

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Green is a variety, it doesn't have anything to do with how they're treated.

Ah, I guess I'm confusing old memories of the import ban with the fact that I only ever saw green ones in the supermarket in my far-from-Sichuan part of China. I thought there was a time when they were allowed but only heat-treated ones that were pinkish? Or maybe that was just the variety that they chose to import.

Thanks to both of you for the recommendations, I'll give them a shot.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

It'd be like Pączki before Lent. Or King Cake during Mardi Gras. Yes, you can make it yourself, but the bakeries all gear up to make numbers of them so you don't have to.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i made mapo tofu with lamb it was good

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Ailumao posted:

with lamb

quote:

it was good

Well of course.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Darryl Lict posted:

My Thai friend who was a really terrific cook, used Mae Ploy. She said it's way too much a pain in the rear end to make your own Thai curry sauce. Also, it seems to last forever in the fridge.

It lasts a near infinite time in the freezer and doesn't freeze so solid you can't scoop it out

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My big jar of lao gan ma went rancid sooner than expected. Please send $4.95

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

My big jar of lao gan ma went rancid sooner than expected. Please send $4.95

Not if you can't be responsible and eat it fast enough. Seriously, I don't know how it lasts longer than a month.

mystes
May 31, 2006

maybe you should have bought some new godmother chili oil instead?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I didn't even know LGM could go rancid, how long was it open?

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's mostly oil and oil will eventually go rancid so it's not that surprising. If you only use it occasionally you would probably want to replace it after a year at longest

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pookah posted:

I didn't even know LGM could go rancid, how long was it open?

Sriracha tasted the same so it might just be antibiotics messing with my sense of taste.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It takes me about 3 years in the fridge before I notice it going rancid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6938580905510391045

Apparently self-heating noodles have been blowing up in the last couple years. Reviews seem to say they’re great for camping/traveling but not as good as other options. I am intrigued that they have big rear end vegetables and meat unlike dehydrated instant noodles

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Neat, basically an mre (or a nre if you will. noodles, ready to eat).

I'm tempted to get some for my wife, so she'll have something she can have at the office if the need arises.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I got a self heat lunch out of curiosity once and it was possibly the worst thing I ever ate in China. Indescribably vile.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

I got a self heat lunch out of curiosity once and it was possibly the worst thing I ever ate in China. Indescribably vile.

Was it the smell of being cooked in plastic, or something else?

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I've had some of those Haidilao ones and they were okay. The biggest things I remember were that 1. It's a real pain in the rear end to lift the tray of food out of the bowl without either scalding your fingers on steam from the self-heating part or spilling the soup (the tray parts aren't really as big as they should be), and 2. If you eat them in a hotel room they really stink up the room and you can smell the lingering aroma the next day. (edit: you can eat them without taking them out of the big bowl but it continues to steam for a while and keeps the food just shy of boiling so it's not really that pleasant)

For travel food though they're much better than like a bowl of instant noodles or something - the ones I had came with actual slices of beef and stuff.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 25, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Steve Yun posted:

forget it op, gf’s gimmick is exaggerating and over generalizing how bad stuff in east asia is

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7bJvmfW9Js

This guy owns.

Steve Yun posted:

It was just gross food, nothing in particular. The heating system was pretty cool, I imagine you could put good stuff in it instead and it'd be fine.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

now there's a man that understands garlic. ain't gonna be no vampires in his village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What’s the difference between Chinkiang vinegar and this?

https://a.co/d/aDJODI1

I bought it assuming it was just a similar vinegar from a particular brand, but this one is a lot fruitier and sweeter than usual. Did I get a different kind of black vinegar or something?