Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'M NOT MIDDLE AGED YET

You're posting on Somethingawful. If you're not middle age in actuality then you're middle age in theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

You're posting on Somethingawful. If you're not middle age in actuality then you're middle age in theory.

I said yet! I got two years left!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just finished reading Blue is the Warmest Colour and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to read some good graphic novels. I wanted to post the last few pages but:
A. I just returned it back to the library
B. GIS isn't really pulling much except the first few pages (in French) and the more....explicit....pages of the book.
But really the whole thing would probably fit in with this thread and I really do suggest people check it out.

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I said yet! I got two years left!

Your doctor begs to differ... (as does mine)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Achernar posted:

"The Unicorn? That's a Russian guy who shoots laser beams out of his helmet!"
I'm not 100% on my low-tier Marvel continuity but it seems like both Rhino and Squirrel Girl would know him.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
most old political cartoons(or indeed political cartoons in general) would be a poor fit for this thread, this one I feel is an exception;

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
If that's a Confederate soldier on the left, that cartoon can gently caress right off.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Cursory googling suggests they're both Union soldiers and the point is more that black and white soldiers should be held in the same esteem, which was apparently a thing people promoted back then rather than suggesting that good and bad are actually the same.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senior Woodchuck posted:

If that's a Confederate soldier on the left, that cartoon can gently caress right off.

Why? Ex-Confederate soldiers went on to form the KKK, but it wasn't a universal thing. Rich man's war poor man's fight and all. Union and Confederate soldiers had mutual reunions for as long as there was veterans. It would be more heartwarming if it was a Confederate on the left.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Why? Ex-Confederate soldiers went on to form the KKK, but it wasn't a universal thing. Rich man's war poor man's fight and all. Union and Confederate soldiers had mutual reunions for as long as there was veterans. It would be more heartwarming if it was a Confederate on the left.

The takeaway from this information should be that a lot of Union soldiers were, and their descendants still are, super loving racist, not that Confederate soldiers were just following orders and were actually cool and good

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

What the gently caress are you all arguing about? This is an idiotic derail about a cartoon that has to be almost 150 years old.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

purple death ray posted:

The takeaway from this information should be that a lot of Union soldiers were, and their descendants still are, super loving racist, not that Confederate soldiers were just following orders and were actually cool and good

Well, yeah, that too. My point is 2.75 million people is a varied bunch in any age and I think the slight ambiguity in which side the white guy fought for(iirc there was plans for a Confederate black fighting force but I don't think that ever happened?) adds to the work two human beings crossing immense division.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 14, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

WickedHate posted:

Well, yeah, that too. My point is 2.75 million people is a varied bunch in any age and I think the slight ambiguity in which side the white guy fought for(iirc there was plans for a Confederate black fighting force but I don't think that ever happened?) adds to the work two human beings crossing immense division.

No.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

flosofl posted:

What the gently caress are you all arguing about? This is an idiotic derail about a cartoon that has to be almost 150 years old.

To be fair arguing about a 150 year old cartoon is just as useful as arguing about a 15 second old cartoon

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

It's more about the phrase "good cause."

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Apparently no one here saw "Glory"

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Ferrule posted:

Apparently no one here saw "Glory"

That movie made me cry actual tears in my seventh grade history class, but I don't think that completely invalidates the argument that on both sides, there were people who were undoubtedly coerced into fighting that may not have fully understood or agreed with the ideals their side was fighting for.

edit: removing funny panels because my dumb rear end thought I was in the funny panels thread, not the touching and inspiring panels thread.

wyntyr fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 15, 2017

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's more about the phrase "good cause."
Agreed. If they both lost a leg fighting to keep the Union together, or for the abolition of slavery, that would be acceptable. If they each gave a leg in support of slavery and treason, that rather diminishes the nobility of the sentiment.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cartoon only works if they were on the same side anyway.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Amazing Spiderman #700.5
"What would Spider-Man Do?" Click it

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Amazing Spiderman #700.5

God drat.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Wow. That started off down a path that I thought was going to be more of the old "Parker luck" bit.

:unsmith:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty facile for a Spider-Man comic talk about what a great hero it's brand name represents.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

It's almost as if it's supposed to uplift the reader, should they be needing it, and show the effect heroes can have on ordinary people :rolleyes:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's pretty facile for a Spider-Man comic talk about what a great hero it's brand name represents.

The fact that "look how great our brand is" is your primary takeaway from that story is... yeah, that's sort of sad. Are you Darren Rovell?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BravestOfTheLamp is an ongoing shitposter who goes into threads and makes intentionally inflammatory comments in order to derail the thread and make it all about himself. Please do not respond to him.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The fact that "look how great our brand is" is your primary takeaway from that story is... yeah, that's sort of sad. Are you Darren Rovell?

Everything anyone does is a cynical corporate ploy for money, except for Batman v Superman, which is the only pure work of art left in this awful world. If you read more terrible posts you'd know this. Try to keep up

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Amazing Spiderman #700.5

Is that Arthur from The Tick?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Is that Arthur from The Tick?
Is Arthur's name Tommy?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

redbackground posted:

Is Arthur's name Tommy?

Maybe it's his middle name!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What better way to disguise your real name than to use a completely different one as your superhero name/hacker alias.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

i wondered what you meant, then I realized I didn't notice the imgur link on a mobile phone amd only looked at the one page without context, haha. Turns out the full thing was just innocently cloying.

Sandman #75, the final issue of the series where Shakespeare is writing Tempest on commission from Dream, is one of my favourite comics. it's good because how it uses history and fantasy to presents the crushing yet utterly mundane tragedy of William Shakespeare's life in such a convincing manner. It might be the height of Gaiman's writing as a whole, really.

(I like the detail that the Endless in the background is usually relevant to what Shakespeare is talking about)

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 6, 2017

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

i wondered what you meant, then I realized I didn't notice the imgur link on a mobile phone amd only looked at the one page without context, haha. Turns out the full thing was just innocently cloying.

Sandman #75, the final issue of the series where Shakespeare is writing Tempest on commission from Dream, is one of my favourite comics. it's good because how it uses history and fantasy to presents the crushing yet utterly mundane tragedy of William Shakespeare's life in such a convincing manner. It might be the height of Gaiman's writing as a whole, really.

(I like the detail that the Endless in the background is usually relevant to what Shakespeare is talking about)

I agree with this. The Sandman comic hits and hits hard, on real, true regrets and wondering that anyone could feel. You can project your own musings in place of Shakespeare's, easily. The Spider-Man story is more 'everyone around Peter Parker must suffer to make him feel bad and the reader feel bad for him.'
But then again, Spider-Man is written for children. Telling the same story over again is no sin when new children are your target audience.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I think you take comics just a little too seriously, but you're entitled to your opinion.
That is, indeed, a good Sandman comic though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

VanSandman posted:

But then again, Spider-Man is written for children. Telling the same story over again is no sin when new children are your target audience.

About that...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Manchildren are well-named.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
That second page echoes some things Gaiman has said about his own life in interviews. The Writer's Curse of a voice in the back of your head numbly-eagerly-lapping up every reaction and negative moment for storage to use in the craft is a sadistic devil.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Choco1980 posted:

That second page echoes some things Gaiman has said about his own life in interviews. The Writer's Curse of a voice in the back of your head numbly-eagerly-lapping up every reaction and negative moment for storage to use in the craft is a sadistic devil.

"and yet... there was a part of me... the part that observes and writes... rubbing its hands, and saying... 'well, if she dies, at least I'll be able to use it in Animal Man. It'll add a nice touch of poignancy.'" -- Grant Morrison

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Parahexavoctal posted:

"and yet... there was a part of me... the part that observes and writes... rubbing its hands, and saying... 'well, if she dies, at least I'll be able to use it in Animal Man. It'll add a nice touch of poignancy.'" -- Grant Morrison

If it hadn't already been done many times, I would post that sequence of Animal Man right now. It gets me even on multiple readings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Do it anyway!