Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Well what is her game going to be now?

She gets out of the coma and Kiryu teaches her how to dish out street justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a large part of the game will be kiryu following the trail of people haruka beat up in that new city. it turned out that she could only be stopped by sending a hundred dudes at her followed by a car.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

a large part of the game will be kiryu following the trail of people haruka beat up in that new city. it turned out that she could only be stopped by sending a hundred dudes at her followed by a car.
Now I have the mental image of the "They hit me with a truck" scene from the Venture Brothers, but with an angry post-coma Haruka running down hordes of Yakuza mooks.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Well what is her game going to be now?

You run around Hiroshima destroying cars with your bare fists like a Street Fighter bonus round until you find the one that ran you over.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

He's probably (apparently) not going to be playable in 6, but I hope Akiyama is at least still around, he's my favorite character. I mean he's basically Kiryu's lieutenant/financier at this point and he and Haruka shared a chapter, it's plausible he'd want to help out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it really is too bad that haruka is back to being nothing more than a motivation for kiryu, though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

it really is too bad that haruka is back to being nothing more than a motivation for kiryu, though.
Same as with Sayama and also Dojima's wife back in 1, I guess they were concerned that their manly man series was getting too girly by having literally a single female character per game with any agency.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i forgot this thread existed, holy poo poo yakuza 5 is so loving good

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009
After finally acquiring Yakuza 2 for my PS2, I'm ready to plow through all 5 games. Are there any advice for going through these games? Right now I'm using a guide for the 1st game to get all the side quests done (At Chapter 4 right). For an older game it's good fun!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The older 2 games are rough gameplay-wise. Don't worry about all the side quests, some are baaaad. Be sure to do Be My Baby.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

You're in for a treat!

Do note that because of Yakuza 3's localization budget, some sidequests and activites, mainly focusing on hostesses were dropped so I don't think you can 100% complete it but it's still fine.

This is very unpopular but I think you might want to try Yakuza Dead Souls before 5, it's very much a Yakuza game with over the top cutscenes, dramatic character moments and extremely bizarre sidequests just with a not well implemented 3rd person shooter gameplay

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It works a little bit better if you just think of bullets as extensions of the characters' fists.

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009
Dead Souls does sound like a fun game, but the score and different story/setting might make me play it after 5, depending on how much time I have. I love doing side quests/activities, so probably gonna take me a while getting through them all either way. From what I can gather, you can finish most of the side stuff at any time, or is there any of missable stuff I need to look out for?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
How the hell do you get that locker key on top of the Dyna Chair sign?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Capsaicin posted:

you can grab keys from first person view, there's usually some hidden on top of air conditioners and poo poo, too.

if you're already trying that and it's not working, the spot for it is pretty finicky, i think.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Capsaicin posted:

I have no idea where the quoted poster is in the game but for those of you playing Yak 5 for the first time, it bears repeating that you shouldn't pick up locker keys as Haruka, you can't transfer them or the items in the lockers to Akiyama and some of them are rare crafting ingredients and stuff you don't want to effectively miss out on.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
this is the most homoerotic game of air hockey i've ever had

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in yakuza 5, anything you get in the post game free roam mode doesn't transfer to new game+. you only get access to haruka's inventory in that mode.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

mikeycp posted:

The older 2 games are rough gameplay-wise. Don't worry about all the side quests, some are baaaad. Be sure to do Be My Baby.

Good news, friend: the first game has been remade.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Good news, friend: the first game has been remade.

Not in a language I can understand it hasn't!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I hate Ms. Park and her stupid face!!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

alcharagia posted:

I hate Ms. Park and her stupid face!!
Your feelings about her might change later.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

alcharagia posted:

this is the most homoerotic game of air hockey i've ever had

Wait until you get to ping pong and Haruka mysteriously has a larger bust and jiggle physics

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

This is very unpopular but I think you might want to try Yakuza Dead Souls before 5, it's very much a Yakuza game with over the top cutscenes, dramatic character moments and extremely bizarre sidequests just with a not well implemented 3rd person shooter gameplay
Which is weird because apparently the same team made Binary Domain.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Your feelings about her might change later.

mine did! i went from not liking her very much to wondering how someone that crazy ever managed to function in society.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

mine did! i went from not liking her very much to wondering how someone that crazy ever managed to function in society.

Simple: She found someone even crazier.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i still can't believe that they treated a crazy lady picking up an unrelated girl and telling her that it is her destiny to fulfill the crazy lady's failed aspirations as a good thing.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Where do I find more Victory Road guys in Osaka? I think I'm about to finish this chapter and I've only fought one guy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

i still can't believe that they treated a crazy lady picking up an unrelated girl and telling her that it is her destiny to fulfill the crazy lady's failed aspirations as a good thing.
Sounds like someone needs to have their face ground into the asphalt until they learn the true meaning of ~dreams~.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Wait until you get to ping pong and Haruka mysteriously has a larger bust and jiggle physics

where can you play ping pong?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

"Listen, this is my dream, and therefore yours. Now stop loving about and dance better, or I'm tossing your loving orphan siblings out in the cold."

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Croccers posted:

Which is weird because apparently the same team made Binary Domain.

They made Binary Domain after Dead Souls though. Dead Souls was a learning experience for Binary Domain.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

El Hefe posted:

where can you play ping pong?

Bath houses.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Caitlin posted:

Bath houses.

I went to the one in Kamurocho but they only had air hockey

Also, they removed that awkward massage parlor that was in 4 right?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

El Hefe posted:

I went to the one in Kamurocho but they only had air hockey

Also, they removed that awkward massage parlor that was in 4 right?

Sorry, I checked (I'm at work so I just gave a quick answer) and the very specific answer is Yunosono Hot Springs.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/yakuza-4/trophy/28423-Table-Tennis-Pro.html

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I am pretty sure the Massage Parlor is in 5 somewhere but not in the areas it was in a previous game

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

To me the bigger problem is that they did kinda sorta present Haruka as herself wanting to be an idol but never any explanation as of why other than I guess that's what all girls want?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
to become an idol she had to ditch everyone she cared about in favor of becoming park's proxy. it was really, really out of character for her!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

To me the bigger problem is that they did kinda sorta present Haruka as herself wanting to be an idol but never any explanation as of why other than I guess that's what all girls want?

Especially since in 2 they made a big deal about her really really NOT wanting to be an idol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kids go through phases. I'm sure next week she'll want to be an astronaut or something.

• Locked thread