Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Income change - you're a month ahead so it won't effect your November budget. But it's very smart to phase your spending down ahead of time.

Pet teeth cleaning - CALL EVERYWHERE. My folks were quoted between $180 and $760 for cleaning or cleaning and 2 extractions for their dog! Prices vary SO much. I am going to take my fur child in for cleaning soon, I expect it to be around $160 as he shouldn't need any extractions. Make sure you call around vs just go to your vet. Even if your vet is super cheap for most things - that's the case with mine, but he's $300ish for cleaning vs sub-$200.

YNAB caps - dude you did it again. Stop hiding headers and poo poo...

Yeah I figure that even if we're a month ahead we can still budget how we would with our new income, and putting the remainder towards savings goals or car pay down.

Alright we have an appointment tomorrow, but I'm not even sure what they quoted us (my wife called). I'll call around today as I'm leaving work shortly.

I tried to consolidate categories so I could have everything open, and I ended up with more. I'll have another go at it to see if I can knock it down to a single screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Gym advice, first off: I have a home gym. I made it out of sandbags and buckets. Total cost: $42 bucks, and that's because I went fancy and threw in some pipe insulation to cushion the handles and some work gloves for better grip. There are many, many guides on how to do this. Try that first if you enjoy throwing heavy stuff around, it's pretty great.

Serious effort post: Have you ever worked big box retail, KG and Janus?

Next time you go out to any big box retail stores I want you to take note of all the people you see who are well past retirement age. People with hearing aids, mobility issues, cataracts, wrist splints, and plenty of other health problems you can't see.

I am poor and I work a poo poo retail job, and I am surrounded by people who are in constant misery because they can't stop working. These aren't people who were always poor, either. Most of the elderly people I work with had real viable careers. They made enough money to finance a lifestyle just like yours. But they have nothing to show for it.

You will age out of your profession. That's unfair, but it's true. Even if you don't, is this what you'll want to be doing 40 hours a week when you're seventy two and getting up to pee hurts? You already have back problems. Do you think those will get better with time?

You could probably sustain your spending and lack of budget adherence for the rest of your viable careers. A lot of people have! Now they work with me, and they have to wear stupid uniforms, be managed by people a third of their age, and eat the incredible load of poo poo that is perpetual poverty. They will never get out. Their best hope is to become totally disabled and eke out a meager existence in a government nursing home.

It's just something to think about the next time you go shopping.

Edit: to be completely, unavoidably clear, think about it and then put whatever out of budget thing you wanted back on the shelf.

Tiny Deer fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 14, 2015

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Edit: for example, we're taking my dog to get her teeth cleaned tomorrow which will probably nearly 0 out our vet fund. Since that hasn't been contributed to in awhile I'm trying to figure out where that will come from moving forward.

Okay, so here's a good example. As best as I can tell, the vet fund hasn't been contributed to since July/August. Yet you've made an appointment to get the dog's teeth cleaned, and you don't know how much this will be. If you didn't get an estimate, why not? Why did you agree to do this without knowing how you would pay for it? If it's an emergency, why is it not coming out of the emergency fund?

Yes, it's for the dog, not for you, and you'd better believe that if something happened and I needed to spend money on my dog I'd move heaven and hell to do it, but WHY isn't this a concern for you? It's you just going "eh, we'll figure it out" again.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Tiny Deer posted:

Gym advice, first off: I have a home gym. I made it out of sandbags and buckets. Total cost: $42 bucks, and that's because I went fancy and threw in some pipe insulation to cushion the handles and some work gloves for better grip. There are many, many guides on how to do this. Try that first if you enjoy throwing heavy stuff around, it's pretty great.

Serious effort post: Have you ever worked big box retail, KG and Janus?

Next time you go out to any big box retail stores I want you to take note of all the people you see who are well past retirement age. People with hearing aids, mobility issues, cataracts, wrist splints, and plenty of other health problems you can't see.

I am poor and I work a poo poo retail job, and I am surrounded by people who are in constant misery because they can't stop working. These aren't people who were always poor, either. Most of the elderly people I work with had real viable careers. They made enough money to finance a lifestyle just like yours. But they have nothing to show for it.

You will age out of your profession. That's unfair, but it's true. Even if you don't, is this what you'll want to be doing 40 hours a week when you're seventy two and getting up to pee hurts? You already have back problems. Do you think those will get better with time?

You could probably sustain your spending and lack of budget adherence for the rest of your viable careers. A lot of people have! Now they work with me, and they have to wear stupid uniforms, be managed by people a third of their age, and eat the incredible load of poo poo that is perpetual poverty. They will never get out. Their best hope is to become totally disabled and eke out a meager existence in a government nursing home.

It's just something to think about the next time you go shopping.

Powerful stuff. I've never worked any retail no, but my wife has quite a bit of experience.

I know I'll age out of this profession. It's one of the reasons I've liked the idea of FI and getting a business going. I think that even by the time I'm in my 40s it will be much more difficult to find a job in software.

Thanks.

IllegallySober posted:

Okay, so here's a good example. As best as I can tell, the vet fund hasn't been contributed to since July/August. Yet you've made an appointment to get the dog's teeth cleaned, and you don't know how much this will be. If you didn't get an estimate, why not? Why did you agree to do this without knowing how you would pay for it? If it's an emergency, why is it not coming out of the emergency fund?

Yes, it's for the dog, not for you, and you'd better believe that if something happened and I needed to spend money on my dog I'd move heaven and hell to do it, but WHY isn't this a concern for you? It's you just going "eh, we'll figure it out" again.

Well I know from our last cleaning appointment that we cancelled that our current vet fund can cover it. I just don't know the exact dollar amount. We didn't get estimates from other places. Our vet is the cheapest in town (and very good), so I didn't think of pricing this particular procedure out. As I said I'll do that today.

Edit plus I was relying on my wife. She just let me know that she thinks that it's $200 for the cleaning, and $50 per tooth extraction if needed.

Edit 2: My wife even wanted to throw this out there to show that we planned for an expense well in advance.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 14, 2015

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Forest for the trees.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

What was the estimate? We had our dogs teeth cleaned since he was already having surgery to remove a mass. The teeth cleaning was easily more than the mass removal. My vet's base estimate was based of all teeth just needed scaling and cleaning and anything that resulted in removing teeth or anything extra the price went up by what needed to be done and it wasn't cheap. She explained it all going in. I opted to have her decide what needed doing without clearing it with me because the more phone calls they needed to make the longer my dog was under anesthesia. I had enough $ set aside to cover worst case teeth scenario so I was comfortable with her judgement and limiting my dogs time in surgery was more important to me than having to approve every deviation from the plan.

Edit: I see you put the numbers in. Does that include anesthesia, post operative care, monitoring during surgery, pre op blood work, etc? Or is that solely the price of only cleaning and removing the teeth and all the other stuff has yet to be added on?

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
E: gently caress it. You've learned nothing and you stubbornly insist on doing the same poo poo over and over. I'm out.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Ugh.

Look.

Pay what you need to in bills. House, car, utilities. Things that come due every month.

Then everything else goes into savings.

How's that?

EVERYTHING ELSE is not to be touched unless you really need to buy something!

This is literally how I live my life. I touch my "savings" to buy groceries. And when I do, I say, "Do I REALLY need these chips? They're horrible for me after all." And then I don't buy them. Or put them back. Whatever. I actually put a lot of stuff back because I rethink it and am like, "I don't need this! WHAT AM I THINKING!" After ten years of marriage, our savings are more than most people see in their lifetimes. We could literally not work for years and still be able to pay our bills and eat food and send our kid to private school. Any money you have? You're gonna need it for that HUGE CRISIS that you can't see coming but that is going to hit you like a freight train! Better not spend it on things that won't help you when that BIG CRISIS hits! That shoe! You see it? It's gonna drop! And then that OTHER shoe is gonna drop! AND EVERYTHING WILL BE poo poo. UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOT OF MONEY. THEN IT WILL ONLY BE MOSTLY poo poo.

I dunno, I think I'm out, too. People want to help you because you seem like a nice guy, but you're good at lying to yourself so you're good at lying to everyone else, too. We just can't help you in here, I don't think.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Quantum Finger posted:

People want to help you because you seem like a nice guy, but you're good at lying to yourself so you're good at lying to everyone else, too. We just can't help you in here, I don't think.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Knyteguy posted:

I was actually just going to answer you in PMs (well inform you that you if you bought plat to get PMs we could work through it), but the post you made just above n8r's changed my mind. That's 100% the truth. I feel like you're being a dick about it, and that's not going to make me change my mind.

Just close the thread then. What's the point if you're going to be hide a $2500 expenditure from the thread?

Was it a DUI from your oopsie back in April, did you have to pay fines and a lawyer to get something taken care of? Did you buy a hydro setup for your new weed card? Growing your own will pay for itself in no time!

Hell, use code words like BASIL if you're that worried about the potential repercussions. It'll appeal to BFC regulars more than obfuscating your finances intentionally.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

bringer posted:

Just close the thread then. What's the point if you're going to be hide a $2500 expenditure from the thread?

Was it a DUI from your oopsie back in April, did you have to pay fines and a lawyer to get something taken care of? Did you buy a hydro setup for your new weed card? Growing your own will pay for itself in no time!

Hell, use code words like BASIL if you're that worried about the potential repercussions. It'll appeal to BFC regulars more than obfuscating your finances intentionally.

The point of this thread isn't to get 10 pages of posts of people saying "BAD KNYTEGUY JESUS CHRIST" every time I mess up. In fact that behavior right there is one of the reasons I go dark, because it's hard to hear. I don't want to hear how much I messed up sometimes. I know I messed up. My mistakes often can't be rectified, so instead I'd much rather just focus on missing that mistake, and those like them in the future. I think this thread is to formulate strategies to get our finances in a good place. There are lots of good posts here to consider like too much consumerism, and those are also helpful.

No it wasn't a DUI. And I never got a weed card. I was simply pondering it, and I think it's best to wait after hearing some input. That stupid April thing? I bought a bunch of cocaine and did it with my old drinking buddy. I don't necessarily want to broadcast that kind of poo poo to the world for obvious reasons. Sometimes everyone just needs to back off when I say no. How about instead it's "I went over budget, let's talk about it." I can save details of that stuff for my therapist (which we discussed). And in fact I punished myself for that, because I had to miss that bachelor party since the money wasn't there. And no August wasn't illicit drug use, nor anything illegal, nor anything I'm hiding from my wife, nor gambling, nor any vice at all.

Also what's killing me at the moment is everyone getting pissed off when I'm trying to take the advice mentioned here. "Budget for the stuff you want", followed by a response of "No don't budget for that stuff you can go without". "Decide how much you want to spend towards debt pay off and savings every month.", followed by "No you need to put more towards your debt". "Figure out your goals and we don't care what they are, just figure them out", followed by "No you see these are bad because X."

Like jeez guys debate with each other a little bit so I know who the gently caress to listen to. I appreciate the input, except this has been a cluster gently caress of me trying to figure out what we need to do to quiet the noise. Frankly I don't care what the budget we follow looks like at this point as long as it can meet the needs; I'm just tired of all the negativity right now. And perhaps that's just a perception of negativity. My wife seems to grasp points a little better, so we've been talking after she catches up on the thread at night, and she's been paraphrasing what everyone is trying to say.

The way I figure it we're on budget for this month, so I have no idea why everyone is pissed off during the planning stages, when that won't go into effect for another 2 weeks so there's plenty of time to do all of this.

Y'all can't expect me to be perfect at this whole planning every minute detail thing when I've always been spontaneous. Always.

tl;dr: stop getting upset when I am taking advice and trying to implement it. This is the best month yet and I've been on the defensive the entire time. As I've said before, I'm actually up for this whole budgeting thing for once, so let's just do this.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 14, 2015

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I can't even tell if that's a serious admission or not. Because if you are blowing 2k+ on cocaine when you have a job, wife, and baby....you need help with more than just budgeting.

If I was Janus Owl, and knew about that, I'd have packed up and left. drat.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
The point is for you to learn from your mistakes and change your actions. If you refuse to acknowledge or accept your mistakes, then you do not learn from them. That part of the process is essential, and you just try to skip it and end up repeating your mistakes every single time.

Like, ok, the weights. If you had a weight set and you sold it, why would you think that having another weight set would be any different? You already had some and didn't use them and sold them. Learn from the past.

edit: Also, everyone here is just sick of you being dishonest when they are trying to help you.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

sheri posted:

I can't even tell if that's a serious admission or not. Because if you are blowing 2k+ on cocaine when you have a job, wife, and baby....you need help with more than just budgeting.

If I was Janus Owl, and knew about that, I'd have packed up and left. drat.

$2k? No. April not August.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

No it wasn't a DUI. And I never got a weed card. I was simply pondering it, and I think it's best to wait after hearing some input. That stupid April thing? I bought a bunch of cocaine and did it with my old drinking buddy. I don't necessarily want to broadcast that kind of poo poo to the world for obvious reasons. Sometimes everyone just needs to back off when I say no. How about instead it's "I went over budget, let's talk about it." I can save details of that stuff for my therapist (which we discussed). And in fact I punished myself for that, because I had to miss that bachelor party since the money wasn't there. And no August wasn't illicit drug use, nor anything illegal, nor anything I'm hiding from my wife, nor gambling, nor any vice at all.

If that's the case, then why are you being so secretive about what it is?

And just because I'm curious, not judging- what did you classify cocaine as in YNAB?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

For gymchat, just use some discretionary to pick up a 2-3 sets of dumbbells and do P90X or something. In the meantime, budget $50/month or something toward a bench or power cage & weights and get those when you save up for them.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Old Fart posted:

E: gently caress it. You've learned nothing and you stubbornly insist on doing the same poo poo over and over. I'm out.

Agreed. I think in some ways we're actually making it harder for Knyte and co to improve. Some people thrive on negative attention, because hey, it's still attention. Maybe just posting the weekly budget updates without any feedback, bad or good, will be helpful.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I don't understand why you think a thread in an Internet forum is ever going to have a consensus on anything.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Close this thread, spend money on a therapist. If you're gonna drop two large like that no plan is gonna help you until you get your head right.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

And just because I'm curious, not judging- what did you classify cocaine as in YNAB?

I took a brief look, and I'm not sure where I put it. It must have fit in pretty nicely somewhere, because April was actually a pretty good month besides that incident.

I'm being secretive because I don't want to hear it. I don't want another 10 pages of talk about messing up in August, that if I could do over I would. I'd really like to just focus on this renewed sense of doing this that I have right now, and doing it. You guys say the proof is in the pudding... well so far the pudding has maintained it's integrity, or however the hell you interpret that literally. Make me stick to my weekly budget updates.

RheaConfused posted:

The point is for you to learn from your mistakes and change your actions. If you refuse to acknowledge or accept your mistakes, then you do not learn from them. That part of the process is essential, and you just try to skip it and end up repeating your mistakes every single time.

Like, ok, the weights. If you had a weight set and you sold it, why would you think that having another weight set would be any different? You already had some and didn't use them and sold them. Learn from the past.

edit: Also, everyone here is just sick of you being dishonest when they are trying to help you.

There have been few times I've been dishonest with you guys, and I've told you guys the specifics on every single one eventually. Give me a little bit and I probably will spill the beans on August. I just don't want to deal with a bunch more criticism right this minute about over 2 months ago when I'm trying to get back on track, and stay committed to this thread.

Weights: We sold the weights for money and to show you guys we were serious about this and we wanted to continue getting help, because we had gone over budget on them previously. Remember my willingness to sell the Camaro? Same thing. I didn't sell them because I didn't want them or they didn't get used.

I do acknowledge my mistakes. I accept them as well, and I try to figure out what I can do to prevent them in the future. My biggest repeated mistake is pretty simple. It's going over budget on discretionary so much. I'm trying really loving hard to stick to budget this month, and I want that to be the thing I do moving forward. I'm not going to beat myself up if I miscalculate something in fixed expenses, but there's no excuse anymore for discretionary. I fully acknowledge that it's been a stupid ride almost completely because of those overages in those categories.

Hawkgirl posted:

Agreed. I think in some ways we're actually making it harder for Knyte and co to improve. Some people thrive on negative attention, because hey, it's still attention. Maybe just posting the weekly budget updates without any feedback, bad or good, will be helpful.

Are you implying I thrive on negative attention? I hate it. There are many times I wish I'd stayed nice and anonymous. I can't even post in the Bad with Money thread which I really like without catching a bunch of poo poo.

I'd be down with this for awhile though. Give me like 2 or 3 weeks to actually take in what everyone has said. A lot of times I can't even think before I post because runaway concepts will get ingrained if I don't jump on them (like that I spent $2,000 on cocaine when it was like $150 6 months ago and I haven't touched an illicit drug since).

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Close this thread, spend money on a therapist. If you're gonna drop two large like that no plan is gonna help you until you get your head right.

April is not August, and it was nowhere close to $2,000. It was like $150 or something. Good lord guys please read the thread. It's like 3 posts up.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 14, 2015

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
I know I said I was out, but goddamnit.

Knyteguy, the reason people get upset is not because you gently caress up. Everybody fucks up. They get upset at your attitude about it.

When I was 12 years old, I kept slacking on my Haftarah studying, because singing Hebrew with weird vocal fluctuations is boring as gently caress. I always had excuses and the cantor was always sore with me. Finally one day he told me that making a mistake wasn't a problem. What he wanted to see was for me to take responsibility for it. So the next time I wasn't ready, I told him I hadn't studied because I didn't want to. No excuses. He was a lot less sore with me, and I eventually did learn the passage.

I imagine you don't see all this as excuses. You see it as "reasons". But it's the same loving thing. You spend all this energy hiding from the thread, and the coming up with reasons why you needed this thing, or why you had less money, or whatever. You hide purchases and shovel a pile of bullshit. You say you don't want to fess up because other people are mean about it. Deflect deflect deflect. You can't take responsibility for yourself. Then after a month of negativity you say "fine okay I hosed up but I learned my lesson, can we move on now?"

Clearly you can't move on because you keep making the same mistakes.

Stop with the bullshit. Stop with the hiding. Stop with the lying. Only then will you make progress. Until that point you're going to keep on spinning your wheels.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

IllegallySober posted:

"Side business expenses." Man this thread just keeps on going!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Either KG is deliberately trolling his own thread and is turning into another Blue Story, or he legit spent about 1/2 a year's discretionary budget on "SELF-RAISING FLOUR" while in debt and supporting a child.

The last year or so of this thread has basically been:

:v: Hey guys how do I best approach my financial situation?
:geno: Generally speaking, you should create a budget and stick to it while paying down debt.
:v: Hey guys, I just blew a shitload of money on unnecessary expenses and made changes to the budget because reasons. How do I best approach my financial situation?
:geno: Generally speaking, you should stick to your budget while paying down debt.
:v: Hey guys, I'm thinking of making a major financial decision that will leave me worse off. How do I best approach my financial situation?
:geno: Don't do that, you should focus on sticking to your budget for an extended period while paying down debt.
:v: Hey guys, I've spent 3 months shuffling budget items around and tweaking it so that my goals match my reality rather than the other way around. There's also a lot of money missing. How do I best approach my financial situation?
:supaburn:gently caress'S SAKE, stop doing that, track your finances, agree on a stable budget that you're capable of sticking to, and stick to it while paying down debt.
:v: You're all a bunch of aggressive sarcastic shouty haters.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

April is not August, and it was nowhere close to $2,000. It was like $150 or something. Good lord guys please read the thread. It's like 3 posts up.
Over the arc of the thread you're trying to use spending to make you happy. It's not making you happy because you keep spending, and it's also making you sad because it's preventing you achieving your goals.

The long term goals you've stated are achievable, and to achieve them you specifically will need a thorough plan. But you're not even at the point where developing the plan makes sense, because you need to get your head right. Specifically, you need to get your head right so that you can be happy without using discretionary spend to try and make up for being unhappy.

So go to a loving therapist and fix your head, because you're not gonna manage to execute a plan that involves not spending money until you're over using consumerism as a drug.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I want all of you to realize how quickly this thread can turn into telephone. April, not August. $150, not $2000. That's really frustrating sometimes.

Old Fart posted:

I know I said I was out, but goddamnit.

Knyteguy, the reason people get upset is not because you gently caress up. Everybody fucks up. They get upset at your attitude about it.

When I was 12 years old, I kept slacking on my Haftarah studying, because singing Hebrew with weird vocal fluctuations is boring as gently caress. I always had excuses and the cantor was always sore with me. Finally one day he told me that making a mistake wasn't a problem. What he wanted to see was for me to take responsibility for it. So the next time I wasn't ready, I told him I hadn't studied because I didn't want to. No excuses. He was a lot less sore with me, and I eventually did learn the passage.

I imagine you don't see all this as excuses. You see it as "reasons". But it's the same loving thing. You spend all this energy hiding from the thread, and the coming up with reasons why you needed this thing, or why you had less money, or whatever. You hide purchases and shovel a pile of bullshit. You say you don't want to fess up because other people are mean about it. Deflect deflect deflect. You can't take responsibility for yourself. Then after a month of negativity you say "fine okay I hosed up but I learned my lesson, can we move on now?"

Clearly you can't move on because you keep making the same mistakes.

Stop with the bullshit. Stop with the hiding. Stop with the lying. Only then will you make progress. Until that point you're going to keep on spinning your wheels.

Thank you for the good post.

I liked the story.

I can stop with the hiding and lying (again we're talking a few times only here. I do aim for honesty.), but I'm not sure what you guys consider bullshit. I can see that there's bullshit with like justifying stuff when it's outside of the budget, I can see there's bullshit in saying this time will be better, when it's usually not; I can see there a boatload of bullshit in the budget (and that's something I'm trying to fix right now). What else? I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

Breetai posted:

Either KG is deliberately trolling his own thread and is turning into another Blue Story, or he legit spent about 1/2 a year's discretionary budget on "SELF-RAISING FLOUR" while in debt and supporting a child.

The last year or so of this thread has basically been:

:v: Hey guys how do I best approach my financial situation?
:geno: Generally speaking, you should create a budget and stick to it while paying down debt.
:v: Hey guys, I just blew a shitload of money on unnecessary expenses and made changes to the budget because reasons. How do I best approach my financial situation?
:geno: Generally speaking, you should stick to your budget while paying down debt.
:v: Hey guys, I'm thinking of making a major financial decision that will leave me worse off. How do I best approach my financial situation?
:geno: Don't do that, you should focus on sticking to your budget for an extended period while paying down debt.
:v: Hey guys, I've spent 3 months shuffling budget items around and tweaking it so that my goals match my reality rather than the other way around. There's also a lot of money missing. How do I best approach my financial situation?
:supaburn:gently caress'S SAKE, stop doing that, track your finances, agree on a stable budget that you're capable of sticking to, and stick to it while paying down debt.
:v: You're all a bunch of aggressive sarcastic shouty haters.

I laughed. Let me budget then!

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
At least you're finally copping to wasting $2000 and not hiding behind a pile of bullshit like headers are weird or overall bank balance is fine or gee you just can't find it but it's bugging you too honest. All the while you're giving me poo poo for not letting it drop. While you're lying directly to me.

That's a real rear end in a top hat move on your part.

Old Fart fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 14, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I'd like to throw out there that while I do spend some energy hiding from the thread, there's a lot more energy when I'm active being put towards this thread for better purposes. This thread is often my first thought in the morning, and my last thought at night. "How can we do this?" "I want to prove to these guys we can do it, because I know we can do it." "Where can I improve, hopefully in a quick manner?" "We have to succeed this month." Every single loving day guys. Every day. My wife will vouch. Despite my failures and successes throughout the thread, no one can say that motivation has been a problem up to this point. Maybe not all towards the budget, but towards the process.

Old Fart posted:

At least you're finally copping to wasting $2000 and not hiding behind a pile of bullshit like headers are weird or overall bank balance is fine or gee you just can't find it but it's bugging you too honest. All the while you're giving me poo poo for not letting it drop. While you're lying directly to me.

That's a real rear end in a top hat move on your part.

Sometimes I need time man, but that was an rear end in a top hat move you're right. I apologize.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 14, 2015

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

Sometimes I need time man, but that was an rear end in a top hat move you're right. I apologize.
In your last post you still don't see what's bullshit. You completely glossed over all the lies you were directly telling the thread. You're so deep in it you don't even see it. You blame the thread for your lies. That's really hosed up.

Knyteguy posted:

I want all of you to realize how quickly this thread can turn into telephone. April, not August. $150, not $2000. That's really frustrating sometimes.
Do you honestly not see how your slippery obfuscation contributes to this? Be up front and direct, and this won't happen.

STOP BLAMING OTHER PEOPLE!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

You've been directly lying to a number of people on the internet about where you spent your money so that they won't castigate you for how you chose to spend your money, after asking them to advise you in how to spend your money, and ignoring their advice.

SEE A THERAPIST

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Fart posted:

In your last post you still don't see what's bullshit. You completely glossed over all the lies you were directly telling the thread. You're so deep in it you don't even see it. You blame the thread for your lies. That's really hosed up.

Do you honestly not see how your slippery obfuscation contributes to this? Be up front and direct, and this won't happen.

STOP BLAMING OTHER PEOPLE!

I will work on being up more up front and direct with the thread.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You've been directly lying to a number of people on the internet about where you spent your money so that they won't castigate you for how you chose to spend your money, after asking them to advise you in how to spend your money, and ignoring their advice.

SEE A THERAPIST

WE HAVE NO loving INSURANCE STOP SAYING THIS I ALREADY HAVE OUTLINED AN ENTIRE PLAN WHERE I HAVE SAID I WILL DO SO STARTING ON NOVEMBER 1

gently caress

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I honestly think you should just change your goal to, "I want to live happily, and comfortably within my means while paying down debt" instead of, "I want to get out of debt quickly/by X timeframe" because everything you've done and said indicates you value stuff/trips/fun more than you do being out of debt. I think if you realized that (like some of the posters here have), you'd find the advice given to be more to your liking.

You like reading and quoting MMM a lot. I want you to go back and read the part about Debt Emergency. You are currently not treating your debt as an emergency, but as an inconvenience. The weights, the vacations, the tailgating, the gifts, the cigarettes, etc etc... For you, those are all emergencies. Those are all things that must happen now or very soon. You have yet to really realize that all of those things keep you from paying off your debt quickly. Those are all extra payments. Those are all savings. Those are all college tuition.

Can you have the vacations, and the sights, and the tailgating, and the gifts, and the the the the? Yes. But not all at once. Not all now. Maybe not even soon.

Get your priorities straight. Is it a Debt Emergency, or a Debt Inconvenience?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

WE HAVE NO loving INSURANCE STOP SAYING THIS I ALREADY HAVE OUTLINED AN ENTIRE PLAN WHERE I HAVE SAID I WILL DO SO STARTING ON NOVEMBER 1

gently caress

"I DON'T HAVE ANY SPARE MONEY TO SPEND ON MY OWN WELL-BEING!", said the chain-smoking cokehead dipsomaniac.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure everyone who thrives on negative attention says they hate it. It's not a conscious thing. No one goes "oh man I hope someone yells at me today!"

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

foxatee posted:

I honestly think you should just change your goal to, "I want to live happily, and comfortably within my means while paying down debt" instead of, "I want to get out of debt quickly/by X timeframe" because everything you've done and said indicates you value stuff/trips/fun more than you do being out of debt. I think if you realized that (like some of the posters here have), you'd find the advice given to be more to your liking.

You like reading and quoting MMM a lot. I want you to go back and read the part about Debt Emergency. You are currently not treating your debt as an emergency, but as an inconvenience. The weights, the vacations, the tailgating, the gifts, the cigarettes, etc etc... For you, those are all emergencies. Those are all things that must happen now or very soon. You have yet to really realize that all of those things keep you from paying off your debt quickly. Those are all extra payments. Those are all savings. Those are all college tuition.

Can you have the vacations, and the sights, and the tailgating, and the gifts, and the the the the? Yes. But not all at once. Not all now. Maybe not even soon.

I agree, and I think I know the answer, but I want to reflect on it especially with my wife as she's 50% of the equation.

What would the difference between the two budget-wise look like? Like right now we're at $805 debt paydown, $695 debt, about $3000 fixed. Basically the last weekly update I posted.

Hawkgirl posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone who thrives on negative attention says they hate it. It's not a conscious thing. No one goes "oh man I hope someone yells at me today!"

No this is definitely an improper analysis. In fact I have an alt account because I want to get away from the negative attention sometimes and screw around on GBS or something without someone mentioning my cats. I think that will nip that theory in the bud.

Breetai posted:

"I DON'T HAVE ANY SPARE MONEY TO SPEND ON MY OWN WELL-BEING!", said the chain-smoking cokehead dipsomaniac.

cokehead? That's super ignorant, and gently caress you. Get off your high horse. You're on loving something awful forums for god's sake. THIS is why I don't loving share details sometimes. Jeez.

And half a pack a day smoking is a far cry chain smoking. And I drink like 3-4 beers a week I'm just a lovely lightweight. You really need to enlighten yourself here before spouting off insults.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 14, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

cokehead? That's super ignorant, and gently caress you. Get off your high horse. You're on loving something awful forums for god's sake. THIS is why I don't loving share details sometimes. Jeez.

Are you serious? Someone uses hyperbole by calling you a cokehead to make a very real point and you get upset about the hyperbole part and ignore the point? This is why people think you aren't really serious about this and it's all bullshit.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

Get off your high horse. THIS is why I don't loving share details sometimes. Jeez.
It's like you're not even reading your own thread.

The bullshit artist who just spent pages lying to everybody has earned being taken down a few pegs. Shut up and take it.

You still don't get it. It's not the fuckup that draws ire. It's the way you go about it after the fact.

But yes, it's the thread's fault you wasted $2000 worth of therapy sessions on who the gently caress knows what. All our fault. You'd be successful if it weren't for that darn Internet!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Rurutia posted:

Are you serious? Someone uses hyperbole by calling you a cokehead to make a very real point and you get upset about the hyperbole part and ignore the point? This is why people think you aren't really serious about this and it's all bullshit.

A very real point about what? That I did cocaine once in the past 12 years, and before that I was a teenager? What the gently caress point is that?

And yeah insulting people isn't a very good way to get them to hear the rest of their point. That's dysfunctional communication.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

What would the difference between the two budget-wise look like? Like right now we're at $805 debt paydown, $695 debt, about $3000 fixed. Basically the last weekly update I posted.

A debt emergency looks like the ~$450 of discretionary spending being $0, and all of that money being spent on debt repayment.

You aren't prepared to do what a debt emergency looks like mentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

foxatee posted:

Please read this and understand it KG. People are giving you poo poo because your declared goal is to get out from under a bunch of high interest debt as quickly as possible, but honestly sometimes you have to accept that making a bad decision in the past is going to sting more than it should. How you accept that is up to you. You've tried austerity and it plainly doesn't work so perhaps your way out of this is to throw money at it (by extending the period of debt repayment) and working on making your life right now happier. I think you'll be happier spending $35,000 on the Corolla and still doing the things you want than you will if you cut cut cut and manage to get out of debt $5k faster.

• Locked thread