Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
a lot of the world doesnt include the 11th largest nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

oh yeah mexico is "a lot of the world" i forgot. i didn't say everywhere

i cn think of shitloads of <500 people small country villages in the usa and canada that have no public transit at all other than MAYBE a cab

basically anywhere that doesn't have a police department and relies on the county sheriff is probably also not going to have public transit

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 26, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pram posted:

a lot of the world doesnt include the 11th largest nation

i think he's talking to people from the largest nation so that is a bit of a difference

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my nation, that is smaller than alabama, and has 16x the population, has a better public transportation system than in america. god save the queen yanks :smuggo:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
fart simpson is a libertarian techsperglord who lives in china and thinks china is the best country in the world because children can go to stores and buy cigarettes for their dads or something.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that sounds coherent

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

that sounds coherent

:pram:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

in teh south u provide the bus

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

i cn think of shitloads of <500 people small country villages in the usa and canada that have no public transit at all other than MAYBE a cab

basically anywhere that doesn't have a police department and relies on the county sheriff is probably also not going to have public transit

yeah you guys are right im just being dumb

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fits my needs posted:

fart simpson is a libertarian techsperglord who lives in china and thinks china is the best country in the world because children can go to stores and buy cigarettes for their dads or something.

correct.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
easy, fellas. we've all had some drinks, etc....

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Condiv posted:

3. They're cute.

Google's new fleet was intentionally designed to look adorable. Our brains are hardwired to treat inanimate (or animate) objects with greater care, caution, and reverence when they resemble a living thing. Psychological studies have been done whereby participants, when asked to harm an inanimate object, were less likely to hurt the object if it had a face. Participants in the study would happily bludgeon a potato with a hammer, unless you stuck some hair and a pair of eyeballs to the potato, at which point their moral compasses would obediently snap into place.

By turning self-driving cars into an adorable Skynet Marshmallow Bumper Bots, Google hopes to spiritually disarm other drivers. I also suspect the cuteness is used to quell some of the road rage that might emerge from being stuck behind one of these things. They're intended as moderate-distance couriers, not open-road warriors, so their max speed is 25 miles per hour.
lmbo

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
someone post that here comes a huge fag picture again so i can empty quote it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i think if all people were slaves of the state we might be better off

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

same except google

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

their stupid faces make me angry and I am looking forward to cutting them off

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I went to dinner in mountain view a few days ago and parked next to one of the self driving cars (the Lexus crossover ones). some guy was standing out in the cold in front of it telling random people about it. when I finished dinner and got back to my car, maybe an hour and a half later the guy was still there doing the same thing.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

someone post that here comes a huge fag picture again so i can empty quote it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

what if instead we just forcibly resettled everybody in the flyover states to the coasts?

well, except for a small farming staff that rotates in and out like oil riggers, of course

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pseudorandom name posted:

what if instead we just forcibly resettled everybody in the flyover states to the coasts?

well, except for a small farming staff that rotates in and out like oil riggers, of course

depends if mississippi and alabama count as coasts

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Management posted:

I went to dinner in mountain view a few days ago and parked next to one of the self driving cars (the Lexus crossover ones). some guy was standing out in the cold in front of it telling random people about it. when I finished dinner and got back to my car, maybe an hour and a half later the guy was still there doing the same thing.

with the same ppl???

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theadder posted:

with the same ppl???

no, different people. they looked like just people that were walking by. oh and the car's motor was running the whole time with the camera on top rotating

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The Management posted:

their stupid faces make me angry and I am looking forward to cutting them off
it's seriously impressive how patronizing they manage to be

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

google hasn't built a self-driving car. they've built a fancy slotcar where the track is a detailed set of pre-driving instructions from an actual human.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

google hasn't built a self-driving car. they've built a fancy slotcar where the track is a detailed set of pre-driving instructions from an actual human.

much like people

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i like how google is all total nerdout "we have ideas and implementation guys too let's do crazy poo poo" and then they do everything 2/3rds of hte way till it gets hard and give up and you're left with android, self driving car, wave, what have you

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

met a guy on the glass team last night, he knows how lame it is, he just does what they want and has his cushy ballpit job

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

they can't even reach the speed limit if they're outside of moderate city traffic

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

met a guy on the gay bar team last night, he knows how loving great it is, he does what they want and has his cushy ballpit job

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/announcing-deprecation-of-google-earth.html

quote:

However, the Earth API is built on a technology called the NPAPI plugin framework, and recently, for security reasons, both Chrome and Firefox have announced they’re removing support for this framework. These security reasons, combined with dwindling cross-platform support (particularly on mobile devices), had made building applications that leverage the Earth API untenable for developers.

Therefore, after careful consideration, we have decided to retire the Google Earth API. Per our deprecation policy, the API will be supported until one year from today and will be turned off on December 12, 2015.

heh

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

we coded it to be insecure and seeing as we are google, known not-technology company, we are incapable of adding support for mobile platforms, including our own

time to update the google product status site

pram
Jun 10, 2001
to be fair npapi is an ancient piece of poo poo

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and I don't think anybody actually uses the Google Earth API

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

to be fair npapi is an ancient piece of poo poo

yeah if only they had some in-house experience with the pluggin api chrome uses

pram
Jun 10, 2001
whats the point??

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i dont even know what the hell google earth is, how is it different from maps

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
what did Google Earth API do anyway?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
why does google have two map products lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pram posted:

hint:

pram posted:

pram posted:

why does google have

pram posted:

google have

pram posted:

google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

Google bought one and made the other, and lol if you think anyone at Google is going to tell two groups to collaborate

• Locked thread