Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

You were told not to let the gays get married.

You saw the billboard!

But seriously, you're completely surrounded by fire right now, please don't catch on fire.

http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca/

Will do my best!
Sounds like lethbridge fires are out at least and the smell of smoke is pretty much gone. Winds seem to have died down a bit too. Need to go to medicine hat tomorrow, expect to see everything that was not tied down in my area today over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just looked out my backyard and noticed my neighbors big Vermont Castings BBQ got f***** up in the wind last night. I think his natural gas line was the only thing keeping it on his deck lol.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Got my insurance renewals, they must have pulled info from some fucky VIN service or something, because my truck is now listed as an F250 Lariat, and also a compact pickup(lol), the lincoln is now listed as a 4 door.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I mean, in red deer it is a compact truck. Relatively speaking.

And really that's an honest assumption given that the Lincoln doors are ten feet long. Most people's brains will just insert a hinge in the middle during interpretation.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If they're anything like how it works in health insurance the auto underwriters just rubber stamp the standard renewals and wait until an issue comes back to them. I've talked to a guy in auto and they get like 10 minutes to process a renewal so I'm sure that unless you've had a major claim they're not gonna pay any attention to stuff like that. For the longest time my dad's bike was insured as a 1970s Honda civic or something just because of the displacement.

Do you guys reckon it's worth picking over the corpse of Sears tomorrow? My dad got a helluva deal on a snowblower when the Crowsnest pass location closed out this year and I'm in the market for a generator but I think it's probably going to be slimmer pickings in Calgary.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Do you guys reckon it's worth picking over the corpse of Sears tomorrow? My dad got a helluva deal on a snowblower when the Crowsnest pass location closed out this year and I'm in the market for a generator but I think it's probably going to be slimmer pickings in Calgary.

If you can find any half-inch speed handles, Slung's interested. Otherwise, I bet there's poo poo all for tools.

Maybe there's some cool dead stock from the 70s. Bring a six pack and see if you can convince the warehouse guy to let you take the pallet lifter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

If they're anything like how it works in health insurance the auto underwriters just rubber stamp the standard renewals and wait until an issue comes back to them. I've talked to a guy in auto and they get like 10 minutes to process a renewal so I'm sure that unless you've had a major claim they're not gonna pay any attention to stuff like that. For the longest time my dad's bike was insured as a 1970s Honda civic or something just because of the displacement.

Yeah. 15 years driving, 15 years claim free. I haven't even gotten a ticket in 10 years ago because i'm a responsible driver™

Even before they were officially liquidating, the sears here was half empty because none of their suppliers would give them anything. If you need garage fixins, they'll be selling the shelves and stuff for cash on the last day, so if you do go to check it out early, it's worth scouting out some shelves if you need. Don't expect any of the employees to give a poo poo about anything, if they even have any left.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm going to hit Sears today for a quick look, but TBH I don't expext there to be anything left.

Also, Redcliff/Medicine Hat area got nailed pretty darn hard with that wind Tuesday night. I'll post a few pics later. One of my major clients might have to close their facility because of it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah great liquidation clearance deals
E: pic wont attach. Whopping 10% off tools and power equipment

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 19, 2017

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gently caress Sears.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone know where to score parts for an old crappy tire/Noma snowblower? Just need a scraper blade for it. Could probably make one if I had to but would rather not. Of course the store is beyond useless. If anyone knows, it's a little 4/21 2-stage model 60-3975-8 Mastercraft. Probably circa early 90s but maybe even 80s.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Did you check the small engines thread? There are some part sourcing wizards in there.

(Sorry man, I have no idea)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I bet it'd be easier to find the entire snowblower for sale instead of the parts.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I bet it'd be easier to find the entire snowblower for sale instead of the parts.

Yup. Check Kjiji, find somebody flogging a similar blower with dead motor.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Does Noma even exist anymore? You could maybe trying ringing a Canadian tire and see if they have any parts diagrams for old small engine stuff kicking around. If you had a parts number you could probably try and cross reference it since I'm assuming Noma made those for other house brands as well. Would probably be tricky without a parts number.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure Noma still exists but perhaps only as a holding company to continue to fruitlessly sue Walmart for stealing the concept of LED lights with clips attached.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Some googling has suggested that Briggs may have bought Noma's manufacturing assets mid 2000s, so maybe take a couple measurements and compare them to a Briggs model? That's a pretty big stretch though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looking for the fuel line for my snowblower i bought at canadian tire less than 3 years ago, they have basically no parts for anything they sell.

i have a small yardworks blower that was $20 at an auction. runs perfectly but the rubber paddles are worn out, and they cost 5 times what the blower did. I figured i would eventually just have to cut some out of an old mudflap using the worn ones as a template.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks guys. I think by the time I invest another 15 minutes searching, I might as well just retrofit something else or get the machine shop in my building next to my office just to put some slot holes in a scrap piece of angle iron. The old blower works great, the 4hp Tecumseh fires up and runs perfect, just this wear part really. Only thing I've had to do replace the auger shear bolts (which now that I think of it are just standard bolts I used) and one of the tires likes to go flat after a few months.

I actually got a smoking deal on brand new 24" at Lowes a couple weeks ago which just arrived, so the old one will almost certainly be gifted to a couple friends of ours.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well, someone with a shotgun and a lifted ford f350 keeps driving around shooting at trucks on HWY40 fury road style.

3 trucks shot on the 18th and another one yesterday. Whoever is doing it is head hunting as all the hits have been driver height. But I guess it's hard to time a buckshot blast at 200km/h relative speed with oncoming traffic.

Oh well if I get shot CRITICAL HIT maybe someone could set up a gofund me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

quote:

Grande Prairie RCMP are looking for a black 2007 F250/350 with a 6/8 inch lift, black rims and larger wheels. The suspect vehicle also has a red canister in the truck bed (possibly a fire extinguisher) and mud on the lower half of the truck.

That only narrows it down to 4,000 trucks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
To be fair, I've driven Highway 40 before. Getting shot to death on that road is practically a humanitarian exercise in mercy.

The weird part is that it's a Ford. Usually the biggest douchebags are driving Dodges, but maybe they can't work the shotgun, beat their wife and check Grindr at the same time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a 100% chance the truck is stolen. I'm willing to bet when they find the guy he's got meth, the shotgun is stolen, the aim sucks because it's sawed off, he was arrested within 6 months before the incident in a different stolen truck with a different stolen shotgun with a different bag of meth.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Powershift posted:

There's a 100% chance the truck is stolen. I'm willing to bet when they find the guy he's got meth, the shotgun is stolen, the aim sucks because it's sawed off, he was arrested within 6 months before the incident in a different stolen truck with a different stolen shotgun with a different bag of meth.

And he'll be out and on the street in 2 weeks because "aw he doesn't want to hurt anyone"....

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus christ :psyduck:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

To be fair, I've driven Highway 40 before. Getting shot to death on that road is practically a humanitarian exercise in mercy.

The weird part is that it's a Ford. Usually the biggest douchebags are driving Dodges, but maybe they can't work the shotgun, beat their wife and check Grindr at the same time.

Listen fucko. I have a Dodge ram and I have NEVER been married.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

Listen fucko. I have a Dodge ram
Sorry to hear that :(

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

Sorry to hear that :(

Nah despite it's minor issues (22L/100km average), It's been a good truck. Coming up on 4 years ownership and I've only have a broken exhaust manifold bolt, and a carrier bushing for the 2 piece driveshaft come apart. And the only thing it does is short trips barely long enough to warm up, or long mountain towing trips with double the weight of it's tow rating.

Edit: With that said, gently caress Fiat Ram. They literally haven't improved since the late 90's except for more modern looking grills and dashboards.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just giving you a hard time :)

So I just got one if those free local papers and someone actualy paid for a classified ad to list a car for sale. 1200 obo for a 92 firefly with 60k or sonething. Almost certainly owned by a senior (who else would put an ad in a print paper) and I have to admit I am drat tempted to see it. It might be an early 90s time capsule of the worst.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

So I just got one if those free local papers and someone actualy paid for a classified ad to list a car for sale. 1200 obo for a 92 firefly with 60k or sonething. Almost certainly owned by a senior (who else would put an ad in a print paper) and I have to admit I am drat tempted to see it. It might be an early 90s time capsule of the worst.

Is it a stick?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yep 5spd. New tires and a "complete check over and winterized". Also it's a 91 and 92k. Still drat low kms.

Oh, also says "new engine"....whatever that means.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

I know! But if I'm ever given a hard time, I hope it's from Alberta AI.

In other news, i currently have a hard on for pre emissions Volvo flat top tractors. I want to turn one into a single drive axle hauler for my travel trailer. Guys get 12-13mpg in the mountains pulling 18,000lb RV trailers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Buy one, take it to Fontaine Modification in North Carolina.

They're the guys who do the factory chop tops for Volvo on the Volvo VAH car haulers. the lowest is a 97.5" roof.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus christ, driving from Medicine Hat back to Lethbridge yesterday afternoon was fun. Doing 110K against a 110K headwind. I like fall, but gently caress the winds we always seem to get during it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ, driving from Medicine Hat back to Lethbridge yesterday afternoon was fun. Doing 110K against a 110K headwind. I like fall, but gently caress the winds we always seem to get during it.

Driving the Town Car in wind basically halves its already not great fuel economy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Driving the Town Car in wind basically halves its already not great fuel economy.

Install a sail, follow the wind.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Doing 110K against a 110K headwind.

On the bright side, how many people can legitimately claim to have acheived a 220km/h airspeed in their car?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, I was going to say I've done it several times :smug: but not typically in a Tacoma.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fox Mustangs topped out around 240km/h. Back in the late 90's those things were such death traps. Poor handling, bad brakes, 60/40 weight, 300+ft lb torque, manual trans, live axle, and pristine condition ones could be had for $4000, so your average Save on Foods grocery bagger just out of highscool could afford one with 2 months pay and a maxed out Capital One card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I remember when the 87 5.0 came out and it was a huge deal it could do darn near 150mph out of the box. I think they were fuel regulated to 145 or something like that though. The earlier ones were pretty woeful but that was a big deal.
e: or was it 140?

Also, Oct 27 and still mowing my god drat lawn

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 28, 2017