Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
how much do they make on aws anyway? DO they make anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mr Dog posted:

AWS is still extremely expensive compared to rolling your own servers, so probably

Edit: I mean assuming you actually need a bunch of servers with power

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ultramiraculous posted:

i thought wall street was p ok with it and it was confusing the tech bloggers mostly? like there's a reasonable business underneath the r&d spending, and bezos is messaging that they could trim the r&d 'fat' at any time.

i think after the fire phone debacle there's been some rumblings among the press that maybe amazon is losing focus and shoveling tons of r&d money into things so incredibly external to their core business that they have no real chance of making big money off them. things like aws and streaming video worked out well enough to keep the investors happy but now that they've started failing the investors aren't so prone to tolerating it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

investors are just the worst

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

it's a couple billion in revenue, but they don't break down their expenses enough to work out profit specific to aws

it makes sense, given how they originally sold the idea of AWS as excess infra they were reselling, leading some bloggers to describe it as ~pure profit~

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Elder Postsman posted:

investors are just the worst

tbf so is amazon's entire consumer electronics lineup, with the exception of the kindle

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
kindle's a pretty huge exception

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

it's growing so fast i assume 100% of profit is plowed back into capex

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
[quote="ultramiraculous" post=""440968593"]it makes sense, given how they originally sold the idea of AWS as excess infra they were reselling, leading some bloggers to describe it as ~pure profit~
[/quote]

yeah i don't think that was ever true. that's definitely how they framed it, but it didn't make sense even on day one.

logically, almost any aws customer (who isn't using spot pricing) is gonna be subject to swings that match amazon's own swings -- consumer peaks on christmas, black friday etc, business peaks in q4 and q1 and so on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nintendo Kid posted:

kindle's a pretty huge exception

well yeah.

although i mean specifically the plain kindle, whatever gen that's at now.

none of this kindle fire bullshit

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

FrozenVent posted:

I think Facebook is turning a profit now? idk.

yeah they're doing really really good and eating the gently caress out of google's lunch
quick stats stolen from cnn:

-1.4 billion monthly active users during the quarter, up 13% from a year ago. Nearly 1.2 billion of those people were using mobile devices to access the social network, up 26% over last year.
-time that people spent on Facebook grew 10% compared top the prior year,
-grew its headcount by 45%
-managed to grow its profit 34% to $701 million in the fourth quarter of 2014.

-advertisers paid :siren: 335% more :siren: for each ad purchased this past quarter than the price they paid a year earlier, sending profit higher. Meanwhile, Facebook made ads more scarce on its network. The number of Facebook ads served fell 67%, mainly due to the site's redesign of its right column.

-overall sales rise 49% to $3.8 billion last quarter.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

infernal machines posted:

well yeah.

although i mean specifically the plain kindle, whatever gen that's at now.

none of this kindle fire bullshit

its still funny how they're completely wrecking everyone except kobo, and kobo's merely hanging on due to presence in markets that had less amazon access.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah i don't think that was ever true. that's definitely how they framed it, but it didn't make sense even on day one.

logically, almost any aws customer (who isn't using spot pricing) is gonna be subject to swings that match amazon's own swings -- consumer peaks on christmas, black friday etc, business peaks in q4 and q1 and so on

yeah, basically if it was spot-pricing only it would make sense. even if you take the hourly rate as worst-case spot prices 24/7, that means they'd need to buy extra capacity for peak times anyway.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
so basically they're still significantly growing their userbase while their ads are becoming more scarce but better targeted and effective. facebook is doing rly good

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

yeah they're doing really really good and eating the gently caress out of google's lunch
quick stats stolen from cnn:

-1.4 billion monthly active users during the quarter, up 13% from a year ago. Nearly 1.2 billion of those people were using mobile devices to access the social network, up 26% over last year.
-time that people spent on Facebook grew 10% compared top the prior year,
-grew its headcount by 45%
-managed to grow its profit 34% to $701 million in the fourth quarter of 2014.

-advertisers paid :siren: 335% more :siren: for each ad purchased this past quarter than the price they paid a year earlier, sending profit higher. Meanwhile, Facebook made ads more scarce on its network. The number of Facebook ads served fell 67%, mainly due to the site's redesign of its right column.

-overall sales rise 49% to $3.8 billion last quarter.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

its still funny how they're completely wrecking everyone except kobo, and kobo's merely hanging on due to presence in markets that had less amazon access.

kobo was bought and subsequently sold by the one and only surviving book store chain up here. heather reisman, who's business is ostensibly selling books, couldn't figure out what to do with it. now they're a lifestyle store that sells overpriced accents to yuppies.

i have no idea who's doing what with kobo now, but they have an office around the corner from me still

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
kobo haram

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Necc0 posted:

so basically they're still significantly growing their userbase while their ads are becoming more scarce but better targeted and effective. facebook is doing rly good

gotta wonder how much of that userbase growth is real

facebook says its monthly active userbase is 1.23 billion, which is about twenty percent of the entire human population of the planet earth, and that its current daily active userbase is 757 million people, which is slightly more than the entire combined human population of all of europe. their total number of accounts (including inactive ones, fakes, and so on) probably outnumbers the entire human population by now

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Main Paineframe posted:

facebook says its monthly active userbase is 1.23 billion, which is about twenty percent of the entire human population of the planet earth, and that its current daily active userbase is 757 million people, which is slightly more than the entire combined human population of all of europe. their total number of accounts (including inactive ones, fakes, and so on) probably outnumbers the entire human population by now

the advertisers are paying for it so :shrug:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Main Paineframe posted:

it's really easy to get smartphones these days and Facebook is incredibly popular in india

if the prc would stop being such a bunch of shits you could probably add another 100-200 million from china too

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
advretising on facebook is really really expensive but because you can target so well it's kind of worth it imho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i remain bearish on facebook. display ads are garbage bullshit. "brand engagement" is bullshit. it's double bullshit when you have to pay for it.

google's core business that makes the billions is search advertising. show people ads about what they are already looking for. it harvests intent, that's what makes it so valuable. (their other ad business, display ads, has been in the dumps for years. declining revenue and profits every year, because lol display ads)

facebook makes money of precisely targeting display ads. ads that are shown to you while you're doing something completely unrelated. "gee i just got on here to see my cousin's baby photos, but i guess i did want a mercedes benz" -- said no one, ever

it doesn't even matter how good the targeting is because the inventory is poo poo. great, 99% of my ads were shown to the micro-audience for my product. aaaaand 0% of my audience actually looked at the ad, or clicked on it deliberately

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
banner ads were a multi-billion dollar business, once

targeting was definitely not what killed'em

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Necc0 posted:

they are incredibly dependent upon free to play app advertising though. the app makers have gotten quite good at targeting suckers and the cost per install rates for those ads have shot up.

but then again that describes the whole mobile app environment right now so....

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
it's the retargeting that's the thing, not just randomly showing you pics of lawnmowers next to baby photos.

it even gets around adblock now too, with promoted posts and poo poo.

say you went on over to google and punched in "mercedes benz" because you saw the superbowl ad, the cookie on mbusa.com is all like "sup baby" and then a week later you haven't returned and mb is all "here's a ad in your feed for the new c series hatchback that you click on a bunch of times"

try it with like amazon carts or other storefronts. put something in your cart and then ditch, and then watch it appear in your facebook 'suggested/promoted' posts thing inside of a week with a discount or something.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beast of Bourbon posted:

it's the retargeting that's the thing, not just randomly showing you pics of lawnmowers next to baby photos.

it even gets around adblock now too, with promoted posts and poo poo.

yeah i just don't believe "promoted posts" are any different than banner ads, in the medium run

this is dumb and boring advertising that people will learn to ignore. costs will fall as marketers realize they're not getting what they pay for

Beast of Bourbon posted:

say you went on over to google and punched in "mercedes benz" because you saw the superbowl ad, the cookie on mbusa.com is all like "sup baby" and then a week later you haven't returned and mb is all "here's a ad in your feed for the new c series hatchback that you click on a bunch of times"

try it with like amazon carts or other storefronts. put something in your cart and then ditch, and then watch it appear in your facebook 'suggested/promoted' posts thing inside of a week with a discount or something.

doubleclick was doing this 15 years ago. they are now an underperforming unit of google, with declining revenues

there's never gonna be a secret sauce in display ads. they're just bad inventory.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 31, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also lol mobile

has anyone in history clicked a mobile ad on purpose

facebook is even more vulnerable than google on this one. display ads are pretty poo poo on the desktop, they're not even lovely on mobile. they're just negligible. and guess where people mostly use facebook?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i will never click an ad unless i am fooled into doing so

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
the only ads I've ever clicked on purpose in recent times are spotify ads for more free music which sounded good

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
back to the India Uber thing... did she pay the $1 safe rides fee?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

computer parts posted:

it's really easy to get smartphones these days and Facebook is incredibly popular in india

if the prc would stop being such a bunch of shits you could probably add another 100-200 million from china too

my point is that if facebook's userbase comprises about a fifth of the human population, and is growing at a much higher rate than the global population. if it continues to increase at current rates, then in ten years facebook will have five billion users. at some point either user growth is going to taper off, the fake accounts are going to outnumber the real accounts, or facebook is just going to start flat-out making up numbers

the incentives are there, anyway, since the last time facebook reported slowing user growth (dropping from 3% to just 2%), their share price dropped by 10% despite the fact that it made more money than it expected. at some point facebook is going to literally run out of non-users to sign up, and then wall street will kill them for having negative growth

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i remain bearish on facebook. display ads are garbage bullshit. "brand engagement" is bullshit. it's double bullshit when you have to pay for it.

google's core business that makes the billions is search advertising. show people ads about what they are already looking for. it harvests intent, that's what makes it so valuable. (their other ad business, display ads, has been in the dumps for years. declining revenue and profits every year, because lol display ads)

facebook makes money of precisely targeting display ads. ads that are shown to you while you're doing something completely unrelated. "gee i just got on here to see my cousin's baby photos, but i guess i did want a mercedes benz" -- said no one, ever

it doesn't even matter how good the targeting is because the inventory is poo poo. great, 99% of my ads were shown to the micro-audience for my product. aaaaand 0% of my audience actually looked at the ad, or clicked on it deliberately

These are pretty much my feelings. Also, didn't they basically do those studies a year or two back that showed the curve(s) of demographics, user wise? Basically that the normal 20-40 year old user base in the US was decreasing, while it was increasing in Europe (and maybe the rest of the world, I forget); numbers of older users were increasing, too. I imagine they're all just behind the initial curve and eventually everyone will stop using it except for old people who want to stay in touch.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

triple sulk posted:

These are pretty much my feelings. Also, didn't they basically do those studies a year or two back that showed the curve(s) of demographics, user wise? Basically that the normal 20-40 year old user base in the US was decreasing, while it was increasing in Europe (and maybe the rest of the world, I forget); numbers of older users were increasing, too. I imagine they're all just behind the initial curve and eventually everyone will stop using it except for old people who want to stay in touch.

probably in terms of growth which makes perfect sense if you think about it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SplitDestiny posted:

I once got in a cab and it smelled like poop so I got out and called a lyft

It was you!! Lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

apparently companies are cutting their ad and marketing spend for this year's south by southwest. im not sure if it is a sign of pullback, a response to a saturated market where you have to spend obscene amounts of money to even have a chance of someone noticing you over the crazy stunt brand y is doing next door, or just because the city is going to be cracking down on events due to last year getting out of control.

also users have successfully learned to tune out left side and right side search ads. it won't be too long before the ones at the top of the search listing state to see drop offs as well. companies mixing ads into their article links and content are playing a very dangerous game because if users associate those with ads (which I'm sure is already happening) they will just start to completely ignore them when they skim the page.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

most content is ads anyway

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theflyingexecutive posted:

most content is ads anyway

on television, that's ok. tv ads are actually good and entertaining (the first few times you see them) and they're at least a not-bad part of the television experience

nobody has ever felt that way about the ads getting in the way of whatever bullshit they're reading. oh hey some totally extraneous text with a logo, glad i got to ~*~ engage that brand ~*~

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

this is one thing that's really not so bad for facebook

young people are useful as early adopters but they're kind of a lovely demo otherwise. little disposable income. no decision-making power over major spends at home or at work. facebook is going to stay strong in 25-54 and among moms, and those are really useful ad demos.

facebook really has some loving fantastic demographics and gives advertisers the tools to precisely target them. now, if only they had any ad inventory worth poo poo

--

edit: the real problem w/ facebook demos is the global problem. u.s users are worth a lot to advertisers. european users are worth some. the rest of the world? not all that relevant to people buying ad inventory on facebook.

facebook is losing users in the u.s. and u.k. and gaining them in countries where the ad inventory isn't worth anything

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 31, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

on television, that's ok. tv ads are actually good and entertaining (the first few times you see them) and they're at least a not-bad part of the television experience

TV ads are terrible and gently caress Hulu for not letting users pay to avoid them because it's run by TV people who want them to stick around forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is one thing that's really not so bad for facebook

young people are useful as early adopters but they're kind of a lovely demo otherwise. little disposable income. no decision-making power over major spends at home or at work. facebook is going to stay strong in 25-54 and among moms, and those are really useful ad demos.

facebook really has some loving fantastic demographics and gives advertisers the tools to precisely target them. now, if only they had any ad inventory worth poo poo

--

edit: the real problem w/ facebook demos is the global problem. u.s users are worth a lot to advertisers. european users are worth some. the rest of the world? not all that relevant to people buying ad inventory on facebook.

facebook is losing users in the u.s. and u.k. and gaining them in countries where the ad inventory isn't worth anything

there's value in reaching consumers in emerging markets

go down to Africa or something sometime and count the billboards and poo poo

also when china finally officially gets on Facebook... loving lol

• Locked thread