Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

I thought this was the police behaving badly thread for a second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Just flinging rounds around everywhere into the side of an elementary school no biggie :cumpolice:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

Just flinging rounds around everywhere into the side of an elementary school no biggie :cumpolice:

This is also what I was thinking, what happened to situational awareness?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

My reaction got a bit more understanding when I read the bit about the guys having killed someone hours ago but I would seriously prefer my police to not just loving spray rounds out of their moving vehicles

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
That video reminds me of those Brazilian and South African cop videos where they just chase dudes down on foot/helicopter/motorbike and are just shooting like there's no one else that could possibly be hit

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I loving love watching those videos. I can't find it but there was a great one with a cop sprinting full speed through traffic blasting away one handed and he nailed the guy in the back of the head through the headrest of his car.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF PEOPLE DYING

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

It won't damage the power of the round by a meaningful amount, but it does deflect the round up or down depending on whether you're shooting in or out.

Windshields are hard and take a good amount of energy to penetrate, and a hollowpointed round like carried by the police isn't going to make it through unscathed.. The much ballyhooed Teflon-coated cop-killer bullet, the KTW round, was a round invented by cops specifically to be able to reliably penetrate car windshields.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-buick-o-truth-2-windshields-outsidein/

Also I hope that guy was wearing earpro.

aphid_licker posted:

My reaction got a bit more understanding when I read the bit about the guys having killed someone hours ago but I would seriously prefer my police to not just loving spray rounds out of their moving vehicles

ObMeToo: Me too.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Windshields are hard and take a good amount of energy to penetrate, and a hollowpointed round like carried by the police isn't going to make it through unscathed.

The test I read about suggested that bullets lose about 20-25% of their velocity going through a car windshield, which is very significant. Bullet deformation is also a concern, though apparently deflection is going to be less than 2 degrees, which is a lot less than I expected.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

John 'Shrek' Mcgee, a former CAG dude who runs a firearms training company now does a video on it. His lesson is, 'yeah, a windshield will effect the round, not enough to matter.'

In through the windscreen, rounds deflect slightly down. Out, slightly up.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'm sure if you mag dump through a windshield center mass at someone driving you're gonna get a few hits even if it affected it a lot

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'm sure if you mag dump through a windshield center mass at someone driving you're gonna get a few hits even if it affected it a lot

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bulletsponge13 posted:

In through the windscreen, rounds deflect slightly down. Out, slightly up.

I do wonder why this is. It seems like it should be opposite, with the bullet hitting a curved surface with its top first causing it to deflect down.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

chitoryu12 posted:

I do wonder why this is. It seems like it should be opposite, with the bullet hitting a curved surface with its top first causing it to deflect down.

I was thinking the same thing but I guess it tries to take the shortest path through the glass which is the opposite of the way the pane is angled.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
round normalization, likely

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
ITT we get mad at cops for actually killing dangerous people instead of unarmed innocents for a change.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

ITT we get mad at cops for actually killing dangerous people instead of unarmed innocents for a change.

:rolleyes:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Godholio posted:

It's totally cool and normal that US police kill an order of magnitude or two more people than most countries' cops. There's also no problem at all with US cops on average firing several times as many rounds per shooting, this is a sign of well trained and functioning police.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:shrug:

Hot Karl Marx posted:

That video reminds me of those Brazilian and South African cop videos where they just chase dudes down on foot/helicopter/motorbike and are just shooting like there's no one else that could possibly be hit

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF PEOPLE DYING
------------------------------

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's totally cool and normal that US police kill an order of magnitude or two more people than most countries' cops. There's also no problem at all with US cops on average firing several times as many rounds per shooting, this is a sign of well trained and functioning police.

I don't think anyone, to include most cops, would argue that they get enough range time or realistic shooting practice. My point was that these were valid shoots, but we're still getting people talking about executions by government death squads in blue.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol at thinking maybe cops shouldn’t drive around shooting out the window and windshield at fleeing, if very bad, people is the same as bitching about government death squads.

Sheesh.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Godholio posted:

I don't think anyone, to include most cops, would argue that they get enough range time or realistic shooting practice. My point was that these were valid shoots, but we're still getting people talking about executions by government death squads in blue.

Sure, the individual shooting was probably technically legally valid. The underlying problem is that there are a bunch of poorly trained, trigger happy cops all over the place and more people than necessary are dying as a result. Even when a shooting was justified on paper there are usually less fatal alternatives - and the death rates at the hands of cops in other countries prove that out. That goes for countries with significant private rates of firearm ownership as well. American police are more likely to shoot someone, and tend to fire more bullets when they do. All of that adds up to more dead people in the streets.

You are missing the forest for the trees. That we would even be in a place where it's arguably acceptable for law enforcement to start wildly spraying bullets out of their cars with other people around shows how far off the deep end this conversation has gone.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Godholio, I'm specifically referring to this type of post

jizzy sillage posted:

I loving love watching those videos. I can't find it but there was a great one with a cop sprinting full speed through traffic blasting away one handed and he nailed the guy in the back of the head through the headrest of his car.

WATCH HIM SPLIT THAT MELON PINK MIST SO BADASS

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

lol at thinking maybe cops shouldn’t drive around shooting out the window and windshield at fleeing, if very bad, people is the same as bitching about government death squads.

Sheesh.

Dude I agree with you. I disagree with the execution poo poo and it gets old.

Godholio, I'm specifically referring to this type of post

Oh. Well, poo poo. I'll plead "not even halfway through my coffee" your honor.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
This is literally the thread for posting shooting and exploding people videos

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The longer video of this shooting also shows the people in the SUV being pursued were shooting back at the cops during the chase, so more drastic action than normal may have been justified, though I'm not entirely convinced that the cop wasn't only willing to get so close because they had run out of ammo.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

This is literally the thread for posting shooting and exploding people videos

There's a difference between posting videos of combat and shootings and outright glorifying somebody being brutally killed. I'm sorry if you don't understand that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That cop wasn't even the best example of shooting during a car chase. Pistols are easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p47ONDlR9aY

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Remember when Dorner had the cops pissing their pants and some ladies were delivering newspapers in a similar looking truck to his and they put like a hundred rounds into it and somehow managed to not kill them?

LOL good times

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Didn't they do that a few times?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Didn't they do that a few times?

I think that was the only one with Dorner. Cops have plenty of other opportunities to unload their guns on people not doing anything because they kinda think something looks threatening and their only response is "Fire as many rounds as possible while screaming, then insist there was nothing else you could do."

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Or the St. Louis cop with his AK

edit: wrong city

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Shooting being ”justified” doesn’t mean it is ”necessary”. I’d rather the people flee than my kid getting hosed by a stray bullet. If cop can’t safely follow the car, don’t follow.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

There's a difference between posting videos of combat and shootings and outright glorifying somebody being brutally killed. I'm sorry if you don't understand that.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm betting that there's an awful lot of parked cars with extra bullet holes after that loving fiasco.

Which is better than people, or school kids.

poo poo was like a drive by shooting.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

You don't see the hit on video. It's entertaining because it's so unreal and unlikely. It's the kind of poo poo you'd expect from a Call of Duty game, not a real life thing that actually happened.

Maybe because I live in a country where my cops don't murder people on a regular basis it's a different thing for me. Our police defused a 'deranged gunman' situation by evacuating the area, driving a LAV through the wall of his house and hitting him with a flying tackle. That's just as baller and nobody died.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Is this not the thread where we revel in watching dudes get schwacked?

You weren't crying about it when it was a bunch of dirt dicks.

South Africans & Brazilians aren't dark enough for that sort of perverse enjoyment, eh?

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Just post vids that’s all anyone comes here to see. Save the passive aggressive political comments for your book club.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh look 49 new posts in combat camera thread, bet there’s a new and brutal video of some killing.

Nope, just you faggots going on.

Voting 1.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Nope, just you faggots going on.

Voting 1.

Calm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU