Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That always a bit felt more "I want him to be Kid Flash because Barry Allen never had a sidekick called Impulse" to me. :v:

A lot of Johns' run/influence was him trying to turn Wally into Barry and Bart into Wally. Changed his costume to look more similar, retconned his relationship with the Rogues to make them more antagonistic, Bart becoming Kid Flash obviously etc etc. I'm guessing he felt like it was the natural place for Wally to go, the whole sons become their fathers schtick. It's not a bad idea, just not quite as interesting or good as the work Waid did with both the characters.

The real meat of Johns' Flash run is, ironically, not his Flash or Kid Flash (and definitely not his Linda, who he never wrote right) but in all the villains and side characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Die Laughing posted:

I was sixteen when the book came out, and Bart was my favorite character in it. Embracing the family legacy, and reading some books was a pretty positive message. And besides losing the goggles, I find the Kid Flash costume to be superior. Plus, he got to drive a Batmobile that Tim hid the cost of in the batarang budget.

Sure. I don't mean it as an indictment of Johns or anything (although since having read a little Young Justice, I can certainly understand why a lot people would) because his Teen Titans was my introduction to most of the characters in comic form when I was 13-14 (having been familiar with the cartoon already) and I had no prior familiarity with either Impulse or Superboy.

I quite like the Superboy retcon, though his angsting over it in the back half of the run (i.e. just before Infinite Crisis) got on my nerves!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Comics aren't real life dude

:bravo:

"This name is terrible"
"COMIC BOOKS AREN'T REAL"

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The real meat of Johns' Flash run is, ironically, not his Flash or Kid Flash (and definitely not his Linda, who he never wrote right) but in all the villains and side characters.

What'd he do wrong with Linda? Thinking back, I remember caring less about that relationship during his run, but I can't remember specifics.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aquaman sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Aquaman-75th-Anniversary-Sale/page/12333?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
The Peter David stuff's great, right?

e: For all of the new Superman/Pat Gleason fans, he did a run starting at #15 in the 2003 series.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 20, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

Aquaman sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Aquaman-75th-Anniversary-Sale/page/12333?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
The Peter David stuff's great, right?

e: For all of the new Superman/Pat Gleason fans, he did a run starting at #15 in the 2003 series.

And an Aquaman sale! Why do the books I want go on sale at the same time. 😭

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC & IDW are putting out a comic to support the Orlando nightclub shooting victims.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/21/books/comic-book-artists-create-publication-to-honor-orlando-victims.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1

quote:

The comic book community is coming together to help the victims of the Orlando shooting. In December, DC Comics and IDW Publishing will publish “Love Is Love,” a 144-page comic book whose proceeds will benefit Equality Florida and its fund for those affected by the June 12 attack at the Pulse nightclub in Florida.

“I’m a child of the 80s; I grew up with ‘We Are the World’ and Live Aid,” said Marc Andreyko, a comic book writer and screenwriter who organized the project.

“Events like this shouldn’t be compartmentalized,” he said. “They should hurt and we should want to change for the better.”

The comic will sell for $9.99 and is made up of more than 100 stories, each one or two pages, whose creators include Damon Lindelof, Patton Oswalt, Phil Jimenez and Olivier Coipel. “I purposely said it would be a one-page thing to get people to commit,” Mr. Andreyko said.

He also spent time playing matchmaker for writers and artists. “I was e-Harmony-ing people,” he said. “Mixing and matching and seeing who felt right.”

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Good thing Chris Claremont isn't involved, considering the last charity comic he collaborated on.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jack of Hearts posted:

What'd he do wrong with Linda? Thinking back, I remember caring less about that relationship during his run, but I can't remember specifics.

It was almost entirely making her uninvolved in the story aside from being a target for Zoom and disappearing afterwards.

Flashback to Waid's stories where she was constantly involved in the ongoing plot, whether it be everything to do with Terminal Velocity, the John Fox thing, the Conclave+Francis Kane arc, the entire Dark Flash saga etc etc. He literally wove into the story that Wally was completely reliant on her, both emotionally and with his powers. Waid also did a lot more love story stuff which naturally included Linda whereas Johns just wanted to do very direct superheroics, so the only time he did anything with her was the horrifying Zoom stuff. He basically wrote Linda like Iris was written back in the pre-crisis days -- the girlfriend/wife moreso than a character in her own right and even pulled the direct Hunter/Thawne parallel with them attacking their respective Flash's Wife.

Johns even dropped the whole lightningrod thing until we got to Flash Rebirth, where they copped it for Barry.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 20, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Comics aren't real life dude

how does this even relate to his complaint

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Trinity focused on the Superman family having Bruce and Diana over for dinner, and 'Superman' was an issue devoted to them going to the fair.

Start your day off with those two :)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Teenage Fansub posted:

'Superman' was an issue devoted to them going to the fair.

I loved the gamut of expressions Clark and Lois's faces ran through on the second to last page ans Clark got busted.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Trinity focused on the Superman family having Bruce and Diana over for dinner, and 'Superman' was an issue devoted to them going to the fair.

Start your day off with those two :)

I read Trinity.

Art is gorgeous but the writing left a LOT to be desired. Manapul instead of organically deal with pre flashpoint Superman earning the trust and friendship of Bruce and Diana. Just have them talk about Superbro for a couple of pages and then a cut offscreen later they're all chummy as if they always would've been friends. Bullshit.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I read Trinity.

Art is gorgeous but the writing left a LOT to be desired. Manapul instead of organically deal with pre flashpoint Superman earning the trust and friendship of Bruce and Diana. Just have them talk about Superbro for a couple of pages and then a cut offscreen later they're all chummy as if they always would've been friends. Bullshit.

What? He explicitly showed Bruce being hesitant and Diana being open to the idea through conversation, particularly with Lois. The thing isn't even really resolved.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Two Tone Shoes posted:

What? He explicitly showed Bruce being hesitant and Diana being open to the idea through conversation, particularly with Lois. The thing isn't even really resolved.

That only lasted for four pages. The next time we see Bruce, he's bonding with Clark over having children, and the next time Diana shows up, is in that hallmark moment with the three on the fence being all chummy.

Is just sloppy writing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I think he just skims anything without a red helmet on the page.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So, I'm getting the impressin that Trinity was great? poo poo, it's one of the once-monthly ones, right? I dunno if I can afford to put another double-shipping title on my list.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That only lasted for four pages. The next time we see Bruce, he's bonding with Clark over having children, and the next time Diana shows up, is in that hallmark moment with the three on the fence being all chummy.

Is just sloppy writing.

There is a finite number of pages in a book, dude. "It was only one fifth of the comic!"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I am completely in favor of anything that ignores new 52 Superman and just lets the iconic characters be together. These people have been hanging out since the 1940s. According to the complicated rebooted continuity this Superman has never hung out with this Batman but honestly does anybody want to read the hundreds of pages it would realistically take for anybody to earn Batman's trust? Who cares. These three people are friends. Everybody knows they're friends. I don't need to see them becoming friends any more than I need to see Uncle Ben and the Waynes get shot again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

I think he just skims anything without a red helmet on the page.

Well we all know what the problem is, I just get probated when I point it out.

Or he's just an idiot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People are buying Trinity to see Trinity stuff, not moping about the other Superman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Um, I just read Trinity and it has nothing to do with the Wachowskis seminal Matrix films? WTF?

Well at least i can read this sandman someone recommended, he said Morpheus is in it.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Travis343 posted:

I am completely in favor of anything that ignores new 52 Superman and just lets the iconic characters be together. These people have been hanging out since the 1940s. According to the complicated rebooted continuity this Superman has never hung out with this Batman but honestly does anybody want to read the hundreds of pages it would realistically take for anybody to earn Batman's trust? Who cares. These three people are friends. Everybody knows they're friends. I don't need to see them becoming friends any more than I need to see Uncle Ben and the Waynes get shot again.
This is the correctest of all possible opinions.

EDIT: To expand on this just a little bit, Superman is the most well-known comic book character in the world; people who have never read a single issue of a DC comic or watched a Warner Bros. movie know who Superman is and know, broadly, what he is. He's The Good Guy - you can trust him and rely on him and he saves people and/or the world. The fact that DC has this going for them (and with Batman) and seems to, for some reason, want to consistently run shrieking in the exact opposite direction by writing stories where nobody knows what to make of this strange visitor from another world is one of the most baffling things about the editorial direction this century.

NorgLyle fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 21, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

But how else can we see Batman and Superman bond over their shared Mother's Name?

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

NorgLyle posted:

This is the correctest of all possible opinions.

EDIT: To expand on this just a little bit, Superman is the most well-known comic book character in the world; people who have never read a single issue of a DC comic or watched a Warner Bros. movie know who Superman is and know, broadly, what he is. He's The Good Guy - you can trust him and rely on him and he saves people and/or the world. The fact that DC has this going for them (and with Batman) and seems to, for some reason, want to consistently run shrieking in the exact opposite direction by writing stories where nobody knows what to make of this strange visitor from another world is one of the most baffling things about the editorial direction this century.

He's still the reliable, trustworthy Good Guy; we just live in a terrible world now. Think about Edward Snowden, who most people seem to think is either a hero or a villain: 33% of Americans support a pardon, which means either one or two-thirds of the population is straight-up wrong. I have to imagine Superman would inspire similar reactions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vseslav.botkin posted:

He's still the reliable, trustworthy Good Guy; we just live in a terrible world now. Think about Edward Snowden, who most people seem to think is either a hero or a villain: 33% of Americans support a pardon, which means either one or two-thirds of the population is straight-up wrong. I have to imagine Superman would inspire similar reactions.

Superman was a good guy in a time frame when literally everyone was at horrific war and the 'good guys' (lol) included some of the most horrific monsters of the time and bombing of civilian targets with unfathomable weapons. It's hard to say we live in a worse time than that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I read Trinity.

This loving post.

In case you need any other proof that this clown is the biggest blight this form has ever seen, go read Trinity #1 and enjoy one of the best books DC has released under the Rebirth banner thus far.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Trinity was good but Superman was just lovely. Really great to have one of those "day-off" sort of comics that no-one really does anymore

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Green Lanterns just had its best issue yet.
Simon is in charge of baking ma'amoul (like Lebanese cookies, but better!) for his hardass mom's visit to the family, and Jessica gives him a pep talk and they bake together. Also, Simon's nephew finds a Guardian meditating alone, boops his nose, and stacks stuff on his head as high as he can.
Humphries getting an issue to focus on purely character-driven moments without any world-ending threats is exactly what the series needed.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Space Fish posted:

Humphries getting an issue to focus on purely character-driven moments without any world-ending threats is exactly what the series needed.

I don't read Green Lantern, but like Superman and Trinity, it seems like DC are having a good week in the "just do fun comics" stakes. This is exactly the sort of thing that I've been missing in superhero comics for the longest time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

But how else can we see Batman and Superman bond over their shared Mother's Name?

It's almost as bad.

Bruce: "I don't trust this Clark from another dimension. He didn't lose both both parents like our one did. I could relate to that. It's why we were best friends!"

If there was anything lousy about the comic, it was that.

e: But on the whole, compare how the characters are relating to each other here to Hitch on JL. This is a good comic.

ee: And speaking of, here's this spread from 'Superman.' The actual pages of the week are the last two in the issue. I ain't gonna spoil them yet.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 21, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So did anybody read Raven? I can't go to the comic shop to pick up my pull list until tomorrow, and I want to know if I should brace myself for disappointment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's almost as bad.
Bruce: "I don't trust this Clark from another dimension. He didn't lose both both parents like our one did. That's why we were best friends!"

e: But on the whole, compare how the characters are relating to each other here to Hitch on JL. It's really nice.

BATMAN can only befriend ORPHANS.

... wait, poo poo, that makes disturbing amounts of sense.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
counterpoint tim is not an orphan (anymore)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ImpAtom posted:

BATMAN can only befriend ORPHANS.

... wait, poo poo, that makes disturbing amounts of sense.
If Jonathan Kent is dead, wouldn't that make Superman a 1.5x orphan? And if Martha buys the farm(bad analogy in this case), he'd be a full double orphan.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

ImpAtom posted:

Superman was a good guy in a time frame when literally everyone was at horrific war and the 'good guys' (lol) included some of the most horrific monsters of the time and bombing of civilian targets with unfathomable weapons. It's hard to say we live in a worse time than that.

Except people of the era thought that those horrific monsters were pretty swell and the bombing of civilian targets with unfathomable weapons was sad but necessary, while MLK's approval rating in the years before his death were in the low thirties. Look at how dramatically perceptions of the United States have shifted in the last fifty to seventy-five years; it makes sense that people's opinions of Superman would have shifted as well.

I recognize the notion that Superman is disliked by some of the public is unappealing to some people, but I don't think it's "wrong." Let's be real here: Lex Luthor is running for president in our world, right now. And he might win.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Aren't his Jonathan and Martha both dead since that earth no longer exists anyway?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

But he still reached maturity with both alive.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Raven is such a mess, Jesus Christ.

ed: I'm probably gonna keep reading it because I really love Raven as a character and there's just enough of Raven's character voice to make it palatable, plus it's set up from the start to be a mini so the investment is super low, but Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus.

Roth posted:

So did anybody read Raven? I can't go to the comic shop to pick up my pull list until tomorrow, and I want to know if I should brace myself for disappointment.

Didn't notice this when posting. If you really, really love Raven, specifically the Teen Titans cartoon version of Raven, there's just enough there to make it work and Wolfman nails just enough of the character to make it enjoyable at points, but it's got a fair amount of Wolfman-patented leering at teenage girls, the narration's all over the place, the dialog can be very "Hello, fellow teens", and Raven's character voice switches from needlessly complex pseudo-Asgardian Marvel speech to normal everyday casual English, and it doesn't come across as Raven having difficulty fitting into modern-day society over Wolfman unsure of what her character voice is supposed to sound like.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sorry for double posting (no I'm not) but this needs to be emphasized: HOLY poo poo TRINITY IS SO loving GOOD JESUS CHRIST

Teenage Fansub posted:

The one lousy thing I'd say about the comic would be that Bruce literally says "I mean, Superbro tried to kill me in his first appearance but I just trusted him, you know?" which - I don't care who the gently caress you are or what the gently caress extenuating circumstances there are, but justifying a guy as trustworthy who tried to murder you when you first met him in comparison to a guy who's a cipher (with a wife and kid) when you first met him is loving nuts.

But there was so much else that was great who the gently caress cares. It uses The Rainbow loving Batman as an emotional high point, and it loving works.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 21, 2016