Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tobermory posted:

Again....a white person demonstrating that they have also suffered from prejudice is not the best way for them to try to relate to people of color.

And I have, in fact, read your posts. I apologize for assuming that you were referring to this probation for shitposting in this thread:

Rather than to this probation for shitposting in this thread:

I mean, everyone else outside this thread who has seen that first quote wad able to accurately discern that it was a joke about the absurdity and nonsequitorial nature of the request, rather than a serious "no, I will not respect black posters" retort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

teen witch posted:

Egypt and Africa might be a cool topic to discuss in a totally other thread!

Yeah, sorry. Shouldn't have been digging up and rehashing earlier thread discussions and contributing to a derail by trolls. :sigh:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

SealHammer posted:

But nobody forced posters to only post in the "blackness" thread when they wanted to discuss identity politics. The relevance of identity politics in any given issue is something that is going to be debated, and you have to be prepared to debate it at length if you bring it up. That's the nature of discourse.

You do know some people aren't actually interested in real debate and will spin their wheels forever on topics they feel they know more about than black people right? That for some real discourse is actually impossible without some kind of real life impact shaking them out of their comfort zone and making them rethink their rigid beliefs? Who do you think is going to be better at figuring out whether someone is like that or coming into a discussion genuinely prepared to rethink things? Why should black posters put up endlessly with the wheel-spinning dipshits when on any other topic they'd be smacked in line?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Ancient Egyptians were a hyper-isolated ethnic group whose civilization grew to encompass much of north-eastern Africa, through technologically superiority (specifically the chariot). There were black-skinned (Nubians) subjects of the Egyptian Empire, and at one point a Nubian rebellion overthrew the Egyptian dynasty and established their own dynasty, reunifying northern and southern Egypt. It was pretty rad and it eventually fell like all dynasties do. check it out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fifth_Dynasty_of_Egypt

I don't know what any of this has to do with cultural appropriation. Was electing a Black POTUS cultural appropriation?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

You have a history of saying dumb things then being arrogant about it when people get pissed off, you've been constantly butthurt about being run out of the thread, and you've already made insulting shitposts elsewhere in this forum and you'll be really lucky to escape a ban for them. I don't think there was a single regular in that thread who hadn't gotten into it with negromancer so I don't know what your deal is.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Akumu posted:

They actually did force posters to do just that, by punishing them when they discussed it elsewhere.

Links? I'm curious if this is because they were discussing it at all or if this is because of other reasons i.e. posters acting like shitheads.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
It's kinda funny how as soon as this sub-forum was made you can see the effects of gentrification happen in real time.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

420 Gank Mid posted:

So now that this is a subforum, is this thread supposed to be the "USA Black people thread" and another the "international black thread"?

That would actually be super interesting.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Chilichimp posted:

I don't know what any of this has to do with cultural appropriation.

That was my original point. Nothing was about actual cultural appropriation even if the discussion about the history of that region took place.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

So now that this is a subforum, is this thread supposed to be the "USA Black people thread" and another the "international black thread"?

International African Americans, please

No seriously, this is more of the general catchall thread.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SealHammer posted:

But nobody forced posters to only post in the "blackness" thread when they wanted to discuss identity politics. The relevance of identity politics in any given issue is something that is going to be debated, and you have to be prepared to debate it at length if you bring it up. That's the nature of discourse.

This has been the only place where you sometimes can actually discuss it without people making GBS threads up the discussion and the moderation cocking things up. If you tried to have some of the discussions in this thread in uspol they'd get buried in unproductive poo poo so fast your head would spin. There's some discussions you can't have with dumbasses barging in and rejecting the basic facts of the discussion and you getting hammered because something something you're causing the disruption.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

SealHammer posted:

But nobody forced posters to only post in the "blackness" thread when they wanted to discuss identity politics.

My dude, they did. This has been said a thousand times over in this thread; this thread was created because blackness was deemed in-sympatico with the topics in USPOL. The black American experience, something ultimately shaped by politics and politicians, was pushed out of the American politics thread. As Morby said, this entire situation was handled as poorly as could be.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

teen witch posted:

hehe

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

You have a history of saying dumb things then being arrogant about it when people get pissed off, you've been constantly butthurt about being run out of the thread, and you've already made insulting shitposts elsewhere in this forum and you'll be really lucky to escape a ban for them. I don't think there was a single regular in that thread who hadn't gotten into it with negromancer so I don't know what your deal is.

When have I been arrogant? I explicitly went out of my way to be accomodating and civil in the original arguing, and conceded points I felt I had been corrected about. I guess someone might misinterpret that first probation as me saying "lol ur shaking irl", but it was an honest and good-natured suggestion to someone who was spamming "GET OUT"

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

teen witch posted:

Literally every troll in this thread IRL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-dY1xQ58A

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The standard USPOL cycle of "talking about race":

Someone posts a fairly well-reasoned anti-racist argument
Some people respond, some in agreement, some picking at the argument for flaws or overgeneralization but politely and constructively
Someone posts something that's either just plain racist or basic 101 poo poo like "appropriation is bullshit, can't exist, and anyone who disagrees is a whiner"
Someone tells them to gently caress off, usually one of the black posters, and get probated for it
Fin

and after that happened enough times, a white dude posts a QCS thread and Negrotown is born

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I don't know how the mod system works, is KM's power neutered to 6ers unless she gets a special plantation pass from whitey?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

zegermans posted:

I don't know how the mod system works, is KM's power neutered to 6ers unless she gets a special plantation pass from whitey?

iirc full-blown mods can do longer probations but need a site admin to clear any bans

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The standard USPOL cycle of "talking about race":

Someone posts a fairly well-reasoned anti-racist argument
Some people respond, some in agreement, some picking at the argument for flaws or overgeneralization but politely and constructively
Someone posts something that's either just plain racist or basic 101 poo poo like "appropriation is bullshit, can't exist, and anyone who disagrees is a whiner"
Someone tells them to gently caress off, usually one of the black posters, and get probated for it
Fin

and after that happened enough times, a white dude posts a QCS thread and Negrotown is born

but appropriation is bullshit?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

zegermans posted:

I think KM is starting off with simple 6ers to sort of lube people up for the ban-hammer if they don't get their poo poo together.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

SealHammer posted:

but appropriation is bullshit?

Good question. No it isnt.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

420 Gank Mid posted:

iirc full-blown mods can do longer probations but need a site admin to clear any bans

Nope, longer probations also need to be approved by a site admin.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Good question. No it isnt.

I think they mean the fact that it does happen is bullshit, not whether the concept is or not.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Necroskowitz posted:

Is it within a mod's power to appoint IKs to threads in their jurisdiction or is that an admin level ability? It could be a useful way to help KM delegate power.

Mods choose them, but only the admins can make anyone an IK. And only some of the forums have IKs.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

It has started.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I think they mean the fact that it does happen is bullshit, not whether the concept is or not.

clever.

optimistic, but,

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Epic as all hell.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Koalas March posted:

It has started.

:awesome:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

*gambles all negrotown goodwill*

Is that Rhianna? I can't quite tell.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

*gambles all negrotown goodwill*

Is that Rhianna? I can't quite tell.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
All that good will that this forum had when it started.

Edit: Just noticed the new name. It's good.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

All that good will that this forum had when it started.

Edit: Just noticed the new name. It's good.

It's very good imho. It promotes people of all colors.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

zegermans posted:

Pretty sure all mods need admin approval for anything other than 6ers. Check the leper's colony, every 6er is "approved" by the mod requesting it, while all other probations and bans are approved by admins.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

7c Nickel posted:

Hey, now that it's gone I'm kind of curious. Who was the random white guy in your old AV?

He was the President of the my University. He retired now, so I took it down.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
prince is a much better av anyway

Takane
Aug 24, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
why the hell was the Waifus of Color thread gassed? It was promoting women of color in anime.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Takane posted:

why the hell was the Waifus of Color thread gassed? It was promoting women of color in anime.

It was a low effort poo poo post. That's against the rules. It says 90% of low effort posts will be dealt with. You gambled and lost.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Hi KM, I've started a black history thread, would you mind having a quick skim through the OP and letting me know if there's anything I should change/ add?

e: it's here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806595

Lobster God fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 20, 2017

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Gringostar posted:

It's kinda funny how as soon as this sub-forum was made you can see the effects of gentrification happen in real time.

actually this is more like what happened to rosewood than gentrification really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Neurolimal posted:

When have I been arrogant? I explicitly went out of my way to be accomodating and civil in the original arguing, and conceded points I felt I had been corrected about. I guess someone might misinterpret that first probation as me saying "lol ur shaking irl", but it was an honest and good-natured suggestion to someone who was spamming "GET OUT"

Neurolimal posted:

There are black skinned pharaohs. They are egyptian.

Trevor Noah actually had some good standup on this topic, where he first came to america and a black american was talking to him like he was hispanic. He corrected him and pointed out that he was african, and he started saying stuff like "oh man you're from the homeland respect man i always wanted to know my roots y'know". IIRC he equated it to white americans with nothing in relation culturally to native americans taking a faint strain of blood relation to start wearing feathers and loin cloths. It's a weird yearning for other countries' culture, rather than embracing ones own rich history.

This is one of those kinds of topics where it sounds like you mean well, but in actuality, it's basically pissing all over someone else. The problem with that analogy is that many would love to get in touch with their roots and do genealogies and all that to see what part of Africa they originate from, but records are spotty and a lot of people's heritage did not survive slavery. What it essentially argues is that our history begins around the 1600s with slavery.

Now, I have only been to Africa once. I don't know where my family originally comes from. But if I ever found out, I would love to visit the area and learn something about the culture from that area.

• Locked thread