Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014
Is there any indication that they plan to reprint the Grandmaster box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

G1mby posted:

Is there any indication that they plan to reprint the Grandmaster box?

At release they said it would be restocked 'early next year'. I'm hoping they mention it at the Heresy event next weekend.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A quick look at what you get in Kill Team: Arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5l2GpSEUlI

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

xtothez posted:

At release they said it would be restocked 'early next year'. I'm hoping they mention it at the Heresy event next weekend.

I have heard May, but that might be bullshit.

However a Battlegroup + rules + box of knights is a better and cheaper starter.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
TItandeath is good. Well worth buying.

Krytos suuuck.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

TTerrible posted:

TItandeath is good. Well worth buying.

Krytos suuuck.

Yeah, lots of good content.

Was hoping for Fire Wasps rules but guessing they're waiting for books set closer to Terra.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The missions are totally bonkers.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think Krytos has potential as a comedy warlord legio that just levels the entire board. They can run a myrmidon maniple with nothing but three warlords and that should juuuuust fit at 1500, depending on weapon options. Regia is also a good choice. I checked the terrain rules to be sure and it wouldn't be that difficult for them to clear a bunch turn 1 with their Scorched Earth stratagem and some split fire orders. Sadly, buildings don't collapse and cause damage to nearby titans and dangerous terrain isn't even all that dangerous.
:smith:

I'm doing Solaria so it's not like I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. I just think Krytos isn't DOA like some people. :v: Would've been nice if they had made the reaver/warlord swap less conditional. They could have written it like Solaria's warhound swap where you could replace one mandatory reaver with a warlord. I don't think that would have broken anything. Even the Venator maniple would have been fine as its rules specifically refer to the maniple's reaver.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Played 2 more games of Necromunda today, won both! However my opponent in the first, our Van Saar player, did better than I did in credits earned so is closing the gap gang rating wise. Especially because he then thrashed our Escher player (she stubbornly refused to bottle, which let him pick up loads of xp from killing her guys), collecting another hefty sum and securing the 2nd VS special territory. Taken together, those are super powerful and I expect him to be the most threatening opponent in the campaign. Especially as he has bought 3 cyber arachnids and given his whole gang mesh armour - pretty bloody powerful! drat Van Saar.

Our game was Ghast Harvest, but it went a little odd. I used Tunnels to get some of my Orlocks forward, and was lucky in taking out his leader and a champ with shooting. Basically I only had time to get one bag of ghast before he bottled, leaving me without much winnings, and he didn’t take any permanent harm from injuries.

My new juve took a spinal injury. I generated a new one from a Settlement Territory, so retired and replaced him. Larkin became Other Larkin.

Played a standard game against Escher, took one person out but my opponent used the tactic card ‘Scrag’ to make nerve tests 9” radius instead of 3”. So when the first guy went down to a chem thrower, half my gang fled! They all recovered and gained xp, but it was embarassing! My opponent bottled soon after due to serious injuries, but only had one taken out. So again, she didn’t suffer much.

Other Larkin was the guy who went down to the chem thrower. An Escher juve coup de graced him. He died. RIP.

In summary, I am still undefeated but other players are threatening my position and I don’t feel my gang is advancing too fast in xp. OTOH, I am still top of the table and increased in gang rating again, buying more guns.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
What kind of campaign are you playing? We started our first ‘real’ campaign since Newmunda was released a couple of weeks ago. (Real campaign for us means one that is not considered a practice, or a familiarisation to learn the rules, and where everybody in our group takes part - Oldamunda was the game that brought us together so we place a high degree of importance on the ‘club campaign’.)

We are playing the Old Kingdoms variant of Dominion, and we are already running into serious problems. Because Newmunda games can be very quick, and due to the way territory income is generated, we have got some extreme gang rating differences. My Van Saar have had the fortune of getting two income generating territories and also of winning 4/5 games they’ve played, and are sitting at the top of the GR pile at about 1850. We have gangs still hovering around the 1000 mark.

I think Dominion RAW is pretty broken, or at least very abusable. I have posted a thread on Yaktribe about this should you wish to get involved.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Played Killteam for the first time today. It was... an experience.

...So are Orks bad, or am I just bad? It felt like there was nothing I could do against even marginal armor saves, like everything I was throwing just bounced and was completely ineffective? Granted, maybe Thousand Sons and Primaris Marines are better at the whole armor saves/survivability than most, but holy poo poo I killed one model over two games and lost like 25 Boys during that same chunk of time.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

What kind of campaign are you playing? We started our first ‘real’ campaign since Newmunda was released a couple of weeks ago. (Real campaign for us means one that is not considered a practice, or a familiarisation to learn the rules, and where everybody in our group takes part - Oldamunda was the game that brought us together so we place a high degree of importance on the ‘club campaign’.)

We are playing the Old Kingdoms variant of Dominion, and we are already running into serious problems. Because Newmunda games can be very quick, and due to the way territory income is generated, we have got some extreme gang rating differences. My Van Saar have had the fortune of getting two income generating territories and also of winning 4/5 games they’ve played, and are sitting at the top of the GR pile at about 1850. We have gangs still hovering around the 1000 mark.

I think Dominion RAW is pretty broken, or at least very abusable. I have posted a thread on Yaktribe about this should you wish to get involved.

I definitely agree with you there. Firstly, if you keep winning you simply accumulate piles of territories and get the benefits every game. If I play someone who has been losing, even if they win, I will generate as much or more income than them, and I have things like a rogue doc to defray the expenses of casualties.

Our arbitrator has been keen to use the House Favours table to help people catch up, but frankly it’s too random and not so very weighted towards helping the weaker gangs. I fortunately rolled ‘no benefit’ or it would have been embarassing, but the 1500 gr Van Saar got as much out of that as the 1000 gr Escher did.

The campaign also adds another layer to the game one needs to be savvy about, and this widens the player skill gap. I mean, I’m no expert, but I can look at our territories list and see which are clearly better. The Van Saar special options are miles and miles better than the goliaths’ for example. We have an incoming Goliath player (not everyone being available to start playing games was also a problem for us) and he challenged for a really pointless territory first off. I sort of nudged him and advised him to go for one that generated income. OTOH our VS player/arbitrator is very savvy on this sort of thing, has a plan, can see what’s good, and is 600 gr ahead of that guy. So I would be very surprised if he loses, he will generate far more from the game than the Goliath, and he will get another territory to exacerbate the problem for their next game. Ridiculous.

Part of Necromunda is dealing with that power difference, it’s where the competition of the game comes from. But I agree I want to see a lot of territory rules re-written, and more control, probably based on a physical map, of what can be challenged for. Stopping people from easily nabbing the best territories. You could also look at greater rewards for gangs fighting and overcoming higher gr opponents, as in old Necromunda. The current equaliser of ‘more tactics cards’ partly deals with the games but can’t handle the campaign issues.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The utter lack of an underdog-balancing mechanism makes it really egregious in this edition. It used to be that the weaker gang had a much higher chance of picking the scenario (thereby allowing them to choose ones where they got the jump on a smaller group from the other gang for example, or scenarios where there were big credit rewards for winning).

In addition it used to be that even a modest difference in gang rating would return a boosted XP rate to the underdog, and big income boosts if they won the battle.

There is none of this in Newmunda / Dominion and I think it’s really problematic.

Easy enough to integrate the old systems into the new game IMO, and I know the Yaktribe community has some real issues with the campaign system, so I think we’ll have some good fan-written campaign tweaks or hacks before too long.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

ineptmule posted:

The utter lack of an underdog-balancing mechanism makes it really egregious in this edition. It used to be that the weaker gang had a much higher chance of picking the scenario (thereby allowing them to choose ones where they got the jump on a smaller group from the other gang for example, or scenarios where there were big credit rewards for winning).

In addition it used to be that even a modest difference in gang rating would return a boosted XP rate to the underdog, and big income boosts if they won the battle.

There is none of this in Newmunda / Dominion and I think it’s really problematic.

Easy enough to integrate the old systems into the new game IMO, and I know the Yaktribe community has some real issues with the campaign system, so I think we’ll have some good fan-written campaign tweaks or hacks before too long.

I know it isn’t nearly as big of a thing, but don’t Tactics cards include a balancing component in some scenarios? Would be nice to have the same or better options as before. I imagine a good Arbitartor could incorporate them as you suggest.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

susan posted:

Played Killteam for the first time today. It was... an experience.

...So are Orks bad, or am I just bad? It felt like there was nothing I could do against even marginal armor saves, like everything I was throwing just bounced and was completely ineffective? Granted, maybe Thousand Sons and Primaris Marines are better at the whole armor saves/survivability than most, but holy poo poo I killed one model over two games and lost like 25 Boys during that same chunk of time.

Were you trying to shoot at them or get into CC? Rubrics for example are pretty poo poo in CC.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

I agree about the lack of a reward for Underdogs facing and beating bigger/better gangs. OTOH I may be underestimating tactics cards - our Goliath player, partly by using his tactics cards cunningly, absolutely thrashed the Van Saar overdog today. The problem lies more in the territories, the VS player was able to repair his losses and advance slightly in gang rating nonetheless, and of course he will gain xp etc.

I saw the subject on Yaktribe and had a look. While everyone seems to agree that the XP, territories and underdog system need work, I get rather sceptical of people producing huge list of exceptions, additions and improvements to standard rules. I would think an arbitrator could think about all the issues beforehand and solve most of them by modifying the territory effects to be more even where they relate to income. Everything else is just controlling who challenges whom for what, and the missions that are selected. A heavily arbitrated campaign can do that. I admit it's probably not feasible with your 10 regular players.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
My biggest issues in the campaign yet are
*The two cards that basically remove enemy gangers from the get go (history of violence and that one that produces a gap)
*Sentry rules (so every enemy rolls to detect? And if you raise alarm, nobody gets to activate until the end of the turn unless they have a ready marker?)
*What happens when you activate a dude who's broken or on fire?
*Do territory discounts on, say, toxic weapons apply to combis?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
As a heads-up, all the tactics cards are on Last Chance to Buy on the GW site. I've picked up all the ones I'm missing, even though I'm not playing NM at the moment!

Weirdly, some Kill Team and AT stuff is also like that. Coupled with the Blood Bowl stuff I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm getting the impression GW has hit a supply problem with their card stuff, or they may be changing suppliers or something.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Kill Team getting soft relaunch, AT restocks haven't arrived from the printers.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
AT xenos Titans when???

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
New Year Blitz results are up. Came 16th out of 71 with my Dark Elves.

But more importantly, although I didn't win the prize, I got 3 of 3 favourite opponent votes.

:c00lbert:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Moola posted:

AT xenos Titans when???

2021 or 2022 I think. Starting with Orks.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

AT xenos Titans when???

Give us an Imperator you cowards!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Failson posted:

Dominus Knight + AT terrain pieces = Imperator.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Failson posted:

yessssssssssssssss

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Failson posted:

Are you a bad enough dude?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KWYFFSD6K/emperor-part-1-2
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XFF8QSXKF/emperor-part-2-2?optionId=18129226&li=more-from-shop

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Not remotely. I don't remember shapeways prices being that high.

Z the IVth posted:

Dominus Knight + AT terrain pieces = Imperator.

That's not a bad idea.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Failson posted:

Not remotely. I don't remember shapeways prices being that high.
Still cheaper than buying an actual Imperator, assuming they do one. On the stream, Andy said it would most likely not be plastic, so a FW imperator would run you probably close to $400, with the weapons being an additional $75 per arm.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Failson posted:

That's not a bad idea.

I can't find it now but someone's done it and posted photos. The leg assemblies could have done with a little more work but the shoulder cathedral looks on point.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Imperium designer notes: if in doubt, stick a cathedral on it

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Moola posted:

Imperium designer notes: if in doubt, stick a cathedral on it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kris Kuksi is 40k as fuuuuuck.

Great stuff.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

I agree about the lack of a reward for Underdogs facing and beating bigger/better gangs. OTOH I may be underestimating tactics cards - our Goliath player, partly by using his tactics cards cunningly, absolutely thrashed the Van Saar overdog today. The problem lies more in the territories, the VS player was able to repair his losses and advance slightly in gang rating nonetheless, and of course he will gain xp etc.

I saw the subject on Yaktribe and had a look. While everyone seems to agree that the XP, territories and underdog system need work, I get rather sceptical of people producing huge list of exceptions, additions and improvements to standard rules. I would think an arbitrator could think about all the issues beforehand and solve most of them by modifying the territory effects to be more even where they relate to income. Everything else is just controlling who challenges whom for what, and the missions that are selected. A heavily arbitrated campaign can do that. I admit it's probably not feasible with your 10 regular players.

I think that tactics cards are an important component (and most importantly - they are a hell of a lot of fun) but by themselves they don’t do enough.

If it was tactics cards + higher chance of underdog choosing the scenario, I think that would be a relatively small tweak that would make a good difference.

My group decided before the campaign began that Sneak Attack and Sabotage are both fundamentally broken scenarios, so we replaced that result on the scenario table with ‘random scenario’ - we have now replaced it with ‘underdog picks the scenario’. It’s a recent change and we’ll see how it goes.

As for arbitrator, we’ve played heavily arbitrated campaigns before and they’ve gone well (primarily in Oldamunda though), having been played on maps and required game limits in each campaign round. We wanted something more relaxed this time and :laffo: boy have we got into trouble as a result.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This might not be the right thread, but does anyone have any idea how Warmaster stacks up against Kings of War? Weird question, I know, but I did a 10mm KoW army a while back and I'm trying to recruit some people in my area and wondering which will be easier for a group that's never gamed at all.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

I think that tactics cards are an important component (and most importantly - they are a hell of a lot of fun) but by themselves they don’t do enough.

If it was tactics cards + higher chance of underdog choosing the scenario, I think that would be a relatively small tweak that would make a good difference.

My group decided before the campaign began that Sneak Attack and Sabotage are both fundamentally broken scenarios, so we replaced that result on the scenario table with ‘random scenario’ - we have now replaced it with ‘underdog picks the scenario’. It’s a recent change and we’ll see how it goes.

As for arbitrator, we’ve played heavily arbitrated campaigns before and they’ve gone well (primarily in Oldamunda though), having been played on maps and required game limits in each campaign round. We wanted something more relaxed this time and :laffo: boy have we got into trouble as a result.

As with territories, I think the scenarios are full fo great ideas but need a lot of balance and stress testing. As you say scenarios can be absolutely broken with victory conditions. The designers haven't really interfaced with bottling and its effect on conventional ending the game conditions which most wargames use.

Territories, I think heavy arbitration with use of a map, or house rules/rewrites are needed, or we just accept inabalnce. I mean, there are Goliaths territories with give d6x5 credits. Tech Bazaar for Van Saar gives d6x10, rising to 2d6 with another territory, and lets you buy items at half price - ie you can save about 60-80 credits on any big ticket purchase. Unreal.

This all sound negative, but actually, I'm just having so much FUN! All the missions have character, the kit and ideas are really cool, our gangers are developing their own stories and rivalries.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Springfield Fatts posted:

This might not be the right thread, but does anyone have any idea how Warmaster stacks up against Kings of War? Weird question, I know, but I did a 10mm KoW army a while back and I'm trying to recruit some people in my area and wondering which will be easier for a group that's never gamed at all.

There are some minor similarities, like you don't remove individual models, but other than that, they are pretty different.

That said, WM is a good game that relies on your troops, rather than characters and magic - the two exist, but they will absolutely not make or break the game. It's more about being able to pull off your orders and getting your troops across the table. Plus, because of the scale, it really give you the feel of epic combat and armies actually being able to maneuver.

If you're interested, check out the Warmaster Revolutions rules - they fix some of the issues with the original WM.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Warmaster is good. Happy to help.

Getting minis is the issue.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah WM Revolution is the system I've been eyeing. Just a cursory glance I see it's big differences are stands vs. combined unit footprint, the command system which is familiar for me because I've played the Warlord historicals that crib heavily from it, and it's limited combat rolls which I see as a positive since I think KoW suffers from buckets of dice syndrome. As for models, there are a few third-party sellers like Kallistra and Pendraken that have filled the GW shaped hole in the market.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

I think KoW would be easier to get into for complete novices, but that Warmaster is the better game overall.

Specifically, Warmaster suffers from a "problem" where it's possible to get really unlucky and just not be able to do things (rather than just missing or failing to wound or whatnot). For new players who aren't used to managing risk and planning ahead such that missing a move isn't a big deal, this can feel very bad. Once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad, but I'd be worried about new players bouncing off the order system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

This all sound negative, but actually, I'm just having so much FUN! All the missions have character, the kit and ideas are really cool, our gangers are developing their own stories and rivalries.

Yeah man, me too. It’s good to emphasise that! I’m enjoying it a lot, we just have a couple of lame dudes who are moaning.