Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volkerball posted:

after you've given blood.

To the doctor, not the blood God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Got an RX 480. Framerate is so high it fucks up the simulation in the menus and lockpicking minigames. :allears:

Meanwhile, dicking around with Vault 88 and I realize now that I am terrible at workshop stuff. It's interesting enough, but I am so bad at it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sonofabitch! I think the mind control subliminal Phoropter must be occasionally lethal. One of my Vault Dwellers is dead in the streets with no explanation. I'm *pretty* sure it wasn't the soda drugged with happy juice, that's supposed to be non fatal.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

I still need a long range weapon... I'm bored of sniper rifles.

How about a Revolver Rifle?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How do you feel about automatics for long-range weapons? Could do some kind of assault rifle thing with mods focused on recoil reduction. It's not going to be as effective as sniper rifles but then nothing is, really.

Speedball posted:

Harpoon gun or other Heavy Weapon for a long range weapon. If you have Strong Back unlocked you have enough strength for Heavy Gunner too. Only problem is you need to be careful about the weight because weight is pretty awful in Survival.

Plus you can recycle the ammo with the Harpoon Gun, which makes it viable to use outside of Far Harbor despite ammo for it not being found in the Commonwealth.

Looks kind of silly though. I would want to use a rocket launcher with the tracking chip but the ammo is just sooo heavy.

I have never managed to install any mod for this game. I was just hoping that the geck developer thing would have been out by now.

Volkerball posted:

after you've given blood.

MinorRed posted:

And then go back a day or so later for the quest to start.

It goes like this:

Enter vault
give blood
A girl says her cat is missing, go out and save the cat.
Return to the vault and people will start talking about the kid having been bitten by a mole rat.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zephyrine posted:

I have never managed to install any mod for this game. I was just hoping that the geck developer thing would have been out by now.

It... it is? For months now

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It's not. Am I missing something?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think it is. Once the mod thing is released. Bethesda game mods tend to be "put in folder, click checkbox on launch"

Fallout 4 is still in the "put in folder, edit text files, pray to god, never mind didn't work anyway"

For me at least.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
it's really not that hard to mod this game

if you're especially inept or lazy, the nexus mod manager literally does everything for you

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

antidote posted:

It's not. Am I missing something?
The Geck has been out since april. Annoyingly you will need to install the Bethesda Launcher to get it.

Zephyrine posted:

I don't think it is. Once the mod thing is released. Bethesda game mods tend to be "put in folder, click checkbox on launch"
Boot up the game. In the main menu go to mods. Login with your Bethesda.net account if you haven't done so already once. You can set your loadorder here.
Setting the loadorder by having a loadorder manager tool edit the .txt files or editing those yourself (provided you do it correctly) works as well.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Hey you're right! There are mods all over now.

Do I still have to edit text files to install mods from modnexus?

I really want a proper pump action shotgun and a desert eagle working,

Edit: I was about to get the modern weapons mod but apparently it breaks the game balance.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 9, 2016

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
all you have to do is copy and paste two lines of text into a .txt file and save

that's it

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

General Morden posted:

all you have to do is copy and paste two lines of text into a .txt file and save

that's it

How do I know if it works?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Zephyrine posted:

Things will be different.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Motherfucker posted:

Things will be different.

But if it's a mod like. "Adds this gun to vendors" then I won't know until I get to an actual vendor with a refreshed inventory.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

If you want to be sure, check the ingame loadorder manager.

Edit: Note that this will only tell you if you've edited the .txt file correct and a plugin is active or not. Whether or not the mod itself actually works is another matter.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 9, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just download Nexus Mod Manager if you want a simplified mod downloading/installing setup. It will handle everything for you.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Zephyrine posted:

But if it's a mod like. "Adds this gun to vendors" then I won't know until I get to an actual vendor with a refreshed inventory.
Just add something like the stand alone 1911, open console and type "help 1911 4" and then type "placeatme <codeforweapon>" and it should spawn a nice 1911 at your feet.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Has anyone made a good vault yet? So far I've been almost exclusively building atrium-style rooms with the ovular street lights for lighting as they're the only thing which casts any light.

Also, there is not enough copper in the wastes to support my vault lighting.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

TimWinter posted:

Has anyone made a good vault yet? So far I've been almost exclusively building atrium-style rooms with the ovular street lights for lighting as they're the only thing which casts any light.

Also, there is not enough copper in the wastes to support my vault lighting.

I made the entrance a huge 3 story atrium that goes almost all the way across to the far side of the cavern where the subway tunnels are. Then to the right I made 6 residence rooms (2 per level) and a clinic. Then to the right I made a sweet overseer's office/bedroom/bathroom that goes all the way back to the overlook with the stairs going down. Then I started on the hallway that was going to go down the other left path which was where I was going to make the Robotics Research area, but at this point I am maxed out and can't build anything else. I hate the tiny build limit they impose and hate that I have to try and find a mod just to make the game decent.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

Edit: I was about to get the modern weapons mod but apparently it breaks the game balance.

The modern weapons mod is pretty kickass. I love it, but unless you're playing a survival run where enemies do like 5x damage to you, it results in you and your companions armed to the teeth with assault rifles that will drop anything in 1 or two hits. Having enemies do more damage makes it less bullshit because then, at least, you both die super fast (especially if the enemy spawns equipped with one of the modern weapons)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

princecoo posted:

The modern weapons mod is pretty kickass. I love it, but unless you're playing a survival run where enemies do like 5x damage to you, it results in you and your companions armed to the teeth with assault rifles that will drop anything in 1 or two hits. Having enemies do more damage makes it less bullshit because then, at least, you both die super fast (especially if the enemy spawns equipped with one of the modern weapons)

The survival settings mod allows you to change damage multipliers for both the enemies and the player, so you could always tune yourself down if you have overpowered mod weapons. I imagine that would end up rendering the vanilla weapons pretty useless, though.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

princecoo posted:

From the reviews I read it makes the first enemies you fight with your 10mm pistols brutal. But after you acquire some of the "Modern weapons" the other weapons in the game becomes worthless and the game trivial.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Welp, doing a lot of screwing around in Sanctuary with Vault bits. (And collecting deathclaws - I'm up over twelve now, and have two or three trapped in one of the houses - it's the one with two deathclaws on the roof. :getin: Saw an unannounced Gunner raid come in and my turrets hardly got spun up before everyone got eaten. :unsmigghh:)

If you scrap the destroyed houses, you have nice foundations to start building off of. (Except for the stupid shrubberies blocking my artistic vision. :argh:) Made a quick one using the tall Atrium entrance bits as an experiment, and it came out well enough, mostly - not sure exactly how the gaps in the upper slanted surfaces are supposed to be closed off, though. <shrug> This was built on the foundation to the north side of the roundabout with the bigass dead tree.

Continuing clockwise to the next foundation (with a downhill slope towards the river), I went bigger - and still had to funkify shapes to get around those loving shrubs. (Might do a single-level inset to allow bush clearance, and make the rest of the building One Big Block.) The ugly-rear end grimy elevators do snap to Vault floor levels properly, but look horrible and, building off the foundation, you only get four stories and a roof before hitting the buildable-are- limit, heightwise. Thus, the elevator pokes out through the roof. :smith:

However, with the downward slope, I may be able to extend the building to the river and enclose my... very much non-Vault-Tec scavvy water purifiers. Might keep that room locked off with a terminal, it's not in keeping with the overall style.

Right now, I'm playing with external pods of rooms for residences/etc. Hallway out (or stairway for fancier vert positioning), ending in a four-way intersection. Hallway out from each remaining doorway, drop a room section with doorway to mate, add a window opposite, and two corners on each side gives you a six-floor-square "pod", three to a "branch", and the size means they don't interfere with each other or the main building. (Of course, I can't be totally symmetrical and add pods to all sides of the building because of build-area limits and/or trees clipping through/blocking construction.)

I'll fiddle some more, especially with dropping complex weapons to be stored in the workbench - that worked well in clearing some buildable-object total, and I have like sixty Fat Man launchers, for example.

Eventually, I should have all the crafting and stores safely inside, with only the Brahmin troughs, caravan station and cages outside. Oh, and the stupid immovable Workbench. Garden plots can be added, probably all in one big grow-op room, maybe down near the purifier closet. Every possible wall will be windowed, except for ones that would just show bushes or external pods. Higher-level balconies/walkways will be added for scenic views/plunging fire, and roof turrets will be standard, of course.

And thus, Deathclaw Sanctuary Supermax will come to be, looming over the Wasteland with a vision of a bright shining future...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Muahahaha, I love how deathclaws naturally patrol up and down the streets of Sanctuary.

Interesting thing I found out, if you defeat the Institute as the BOS, the Defend the Castle mission becomes a "Defend it from Super Mutants" mission.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Speedball posted:

Muahahaha, I love how deathclaws naturally patrol up and down the streets of Sanctuary.

Interesting thing I found out, if you defeat the Institute as the BOS, the Defend the Castle mission becomes a "Defend it from Super Mutants" mission.

I was getting a series of "Defend the Castle" missions after Mass Fusion (went as BoS, didn't complete starting Liberty Prime and later murdered the BoS) and had, IIRC, two Institute and two Gunner attacks before I finally got around to nuking the nerdhole. I really should have just murdered the Institute manually, because I got less and less-interesting loot via the Minutemen version.

In Sanctuary screwing around at lunchtime, I have a couple test stairwells running down to the river, but the buildable area is at an odd angle and I'm not sure if I could make anything nice. Maybe I should just start in the river and build up towards my foundations?

I need to cap some footage of the nightly mass-iron-pumping-and-gymnastics at the 5x weight benches and pommel horses, because the deathclaws will congregate around, watching, prowling a little, and sharpening their claws on the dirt. Maybe they want to work out, too?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The Robot DLC is buggy. I have a robots who can't be renamed with hacking modules that won't activate on novice terminals.

Also, what's a good setup? I'm not high enough for the good stuff but using double top tier automatic lasers shreds most organics from medium to short range and have the added bonus of activating like tracers for me to hone in on.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The Robot DLC is buggy. I have a robots who can't be renamed with hacking modules that won't activate on novice terminals.

Also, what's a good setup? I'm not high enough for the good stuff but using double top tier automatic lasers shreds most organics from medium to short range and have the added bonus of activating like tracers for me to hone in on.

That's pretty good right now. If you have Robotics Expert you can start building the REALLY cool robot modules and Sentry Bots (plus the added bonus of being able to simply shut off any dangerous robots you face). One of my favorites is the robot module that gives you regenerating health out of combat similar to Life Giver rank 3, though if you're going for a stealthy character there's a module that makes you and your robot both more stealthy.

Important question, have you beaten the Mechanist yet? Finishing the Automatron questline is what makes all the robot schematics unlock, so you're not limited to copying stuff you've collected parts of. There's a lot of Raider armor for robots that looks chunky but requires less rare materials to build. Or Voltaic armor that looks all electrical-y that upgrades a robot's energy damage.

Protectron heads aren't very good for accuracy but there's a lot of bonus helmet armors for them that confer neat effects, like a chance to make enemies frenzy or to simply explode in chunks on a hit.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 10, 2016

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I usually go for the Robobrain because the text says it is the most accurate, but I hate that it will stop raining pure death with its dual laser Gatling cannons for several full seconds to shoot that stupid ~psychic attack~ at the most distant raider that does gently caress-all.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006
I quit using the head lasers on the bots because they constantly hit me with it. Got tked by my own assaultron once.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Never not running Sentry torso with 2 more explosive weapons for arms. It's the sensible option.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr.Grit posted:

I quit using the head lasers on the bots because they constantly hit me with it. Got tked by my own assaultron once.

Does the inspiration perk that makes you immune to damage from companions not apply to bots? Seems like that would solve it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Does the inspiration perk that makes you immune to damage from companions not apply to bots? Seems like that would solve it.

I'm pretty sure it does, it's just not a lot of people take Inspiration.

I find it's useful if I happen to give my followers grenades because they will happily use them when I'm in the blast zone..

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's possible to get infinite sprint in fallout 4. At an endurance of 21, action points don't drain and you can just keep sprinting.

Endurance 10
+1 from the Special book. You have to be in survival mode, and let yourself get hungry, which temporarily lowers your END to 9, to use the book and raise it above 10.
+1 from the endurance bobblehead
+2 from the Sea Captain's Hat.
+1 from the Green shirt and combat boots
+1 from the Champion left arm
+2 from the Solar Powered perk. Only works outdoors during the day, though.
+3 from bufftats or psychobuff. These last for 8 minutes, but with the right perks and armor can last much longer.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Downloaded my first mod. A desert eagle pistol mod. The gun is invisible and has no sound :v:

Well this whole mod thing was a nice run.

I did a search for "console" in the in-game mod search thingy and oddly enough I did not find a single mod that turns the console in survival. I would imagine that to be a very popular mod (Found one on nexus anyway)

How are companions in power armour? Do they still break it like it was tin foil?

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 10, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

How are companions in power armour? Do they still break it like it was tin foil?

even fully upgraded x-01. the worst is when they decide to get into a boxing match with a super mutant suicider.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

Adding the keyword "PowerArmorPreventArmorDamageKeyword" to the companions' NPC record, or the follower quest alias should solve that.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Okay I found a mod that supposedly stops them from breaking.

Explain to me again how fertilizer production works. Do more troths mean more cows and so more fertilizer generated?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm running into the "Purified Water appears when it feels like it" bug in the workshop. Wiki says it takes 8 in game minutes and you can't have more than 5 other beverages in your workshop but even then it's completely random as to when it shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm running into the "Purified Water appears when it feels like it" bug in the workshop. Wiki says it takes 8 in game minutes and you can't have more than 5 other beverages in your workshop but even then it's completely random as to when it shows up.

Don't leave any water in your workbench or it probably won't show up. Sleeping and waiting in a chair don't cause the water to appear, you have to actually spend time playing the game. It may be that you need to leave the area and come back as well, I'm not sure.

• Locked thread