Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

namaste faggots posted:

How about this

Increase capital gains taxes by two. ~Small business~ can keep their loving sprinkles

i'll vote for a raccoon that increases capital gains tax by 5% and eats garbage the rest of its political career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RBC posted:

It's crazy that the government is basically ok with a place like this existing. It should be shut down immediately.

Ok with it existing? They gave them multiple loans and look away when apparently sub-human temp workers die:

quote:

Three temp agency workers have died at Fiera or its affiliated companies. In 1999, a 17-year old temp named Ivan Golyashov was killed at Fiera’s Norelco Dr. plant when a dough mixer was activated while he was inside cleaning it. In 2011, 69-year-old Aydin Kazimov was crushed by a transport truck outside Marmora Freezing Corp. Fiera Foods and Marmora were convicted in each case under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and fined $150,000 on each occasion.

In August, the Ministry of Labour also laid charges against Fiera for the death of Amina Diaby, who was killed after just two weeks on the job. A police investigation into the case is ongoing.

Gelbloom acknowledged that Fiera had been issued with numerous health and safety orders from the ministry, but said it has always worked to immediately resolve them, and took “adequate measures” to protect Diaby. He said Fiera remains “saddened” by the deaths that have occurred “at or near” its facilities.

“We believe that the health and safety of our workforce is our highest concern and we continue to strive for improvements,” he said.

In 2013, Fiera received a $3.2 million federal business loan. The following year, Fiera was awarded a $1.5 million grant from the provincial Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs to expand capacity. At the time, the company was lauded by Premier Kathleen Wynne for providing “good jobs” to Torontonians.

Fiera donated $2,500 to the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario in 2007 and has donated $25,000 to the Liberal Party of Ontario since 2010, electoral finance disclosures show. In 2016, the company was included in a provincial trade mission to India.

The trip came just two months after Diaby died.

No one I speak to at the factory knows Diaby’s name. But there are still whispers of the accident that killed her. Once, at the start of one of my shifts, a group of us huddle under the neon-purple glow of a pest-control lamp to wash our hands.

“Just make sure you don’t hurt yourselves,” a male colleague calls out in passing.

“They’ll send you home and bring in a new one.”

Workers’ compensation insurance premiums are calculated in part by injury rates, and by extension are meant to reflect workplace health and safety.

Despite the orders issued by the Ministry of Labour against Fiera Foods, it remains a model employer in the eyes of the WSIB. At a facility where there are hundreds of people working around the clock, there was just one lost-time injury claim registered in 2016.

The company has received multiple rebates from the WSIB for their low-injury claims rate over the past decade. This year, the compensation board did not issue it a rebate because of Diaby’s death. Its investigation found the company “did not take sufficient precautions to prevent the incident.”

But non-fatal injuries to temp agency employees — if they are even claimed — wouldn’t impact Fiera’s insurance premiums.

At the WSIB, the temp agency is considered the worker’s employer. If they are hurt on the job, the agency takes the financial hit, not the place where they were actually injured.

As a result, the compensation system “doesn’t really reflect the safety in the workplace,” says the University of Waterloo’s MacEachen. “It doesn’t hold (companies) responsible properly.”

The Star spoke to three former employees of Fiera Foods who asked not to be named for fear of reprisal. They said workers were discouraged from reporting injuries to the WSIB. In some cases they said workers were told they could stay home and still be paid, as long as they didn’t file claims.

“This is an invisible workforce,” Deena Ladd of the Toronto-based Workers’ Action Centre says of temps. “That starts to provide a legitimization of lesser standards and lesser treatment.”

The repeated safety violations found by Ministry of Labour inspectors also don’t affect Fiera’s premiums.

“Nobody is held responsible. Nobody is held accountable,” adds Chris Buckley of the Ontario Federation of Labour. “They’ve built a successful business on the backs of workers.”

So just to clarify, the penalty for an unsafe workplace killing one of your workers is a whopping $150,000 fine, and possibly the loss of a modest annual low-injury rebate from the WSIB. If you're nice enough to donate a solid $1-2k annually to the ruling party, you could get a thousand-fold return on your investment in government loans and cushy trade trips. You can almost taste the delicious, freshly-baked corruption.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
God I love rankled doctors

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't an entrepreneur someone who's supposed to be able to jump from scheme to scheme to avoid things like this? When did it become the word for anyone who makes money?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lol doctors are not entrepeneurs. theyre quasi government employees with zero risk and a captive gauranteed client base

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
what are people's takes on the medical groups like the one my doctor's office has now joined? Appletree Medical Group etc. I don't know anything about them, all I got was the spiel from the office about better care blah blah

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dreylad posted:

what are people's takes on the medical groups like the one my doctor's office has now joined? Appletree Medical Group etc. I don't know anything about them, all I got was the spiel from the office about better care blah blah

It sounds wonderful. https://www.glassdoor.ca/Reviews/Appletree-Medical-Group-Reviews-E193807.htm

quote:

Organization was disorganized, unprofessional, understaffed, underpaid and overworked! Managers would not care about employees or patient care, period.

CEO and higher management put themselves first, then patients, then employees which in fact is why the turnover rate is very high.

There is no proper training for new employees and when I was hired, I had 3 days of training and was left on my own to …

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The reaction Trudeau keeps getting from the Canadian right is alternatively hilarious and sad. His cabinet's policies are barely different from the Conservatives. He's basically Harper with better PR.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Do we know the name of that crazy oval office who crashed jagmeets speech yet

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

The reaction Trudeau keeps getting from the Canadian right is alternatively hilarious and sad. His cabinet's policies are barely different from the Conservatives. He's basically Harper with better PR.

It's a perfect demonstration of how politics is much more about self-identification and team loyalty than it is about enacting policies.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

namaste faggots posted:

I knew she was Barrie 10 seconds into that video, https://www.facebook.com/jennifer.bush.9615

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
of course she was at ford fest

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

RBC posted:

of course she was at ford fest

What's wrong with a Ford show?

Wait...

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Wistful of Dollars posted:

What's wrong with a Ford show?

It's full of relics that are soon to be replaced by their foreign superiors and Fords.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Does anyone have an actual list or a detailed summary of all the tax changes in the currently proposed bill? Almost all the articles I've found so far just say 'it's complicated' and then list all the people angry at the government about them.

Anecdotally I got a cousin who's a doctor and she's constantly sharing stuff about how bad it would be. Seems to be a big push in that community against it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

namaste faggots posted:

This was on youtube.

https://everipedia.org/wiki/jennifer-bush-1/

She's pure psycho.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

attackmole posted:

Does anyone have an actual list or a detailed summary of all the tax changes in the currently proposed bill? Almost all the articles I've found so far just say 'it's complicated' and then list all the people angry at the government about them.

Anecdotally I got a cousin who's a doctor and she's constantly sharing stuff about how bad it would be. Seems to be a big push in that community against it.

There's no actual bill yet, it's still in committee

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

RBC posted:

lol doctors are not entrepeneurs. theyre quasi government employees with zero risk and a captive gauranteed client base
Yeah, this. Entrepreneurship, in my view, requires the giant loving risk that comes with investing money that may not ever be recoupped.

Being a doctor in Canada is absolutely not that.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Nikitron is online

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Dreylad posted:

Because I didn't have a GP when living across the river from Ottawa I have been to Appletree clinics a number of times over 5 years.

Appletree is the McDonald's of healthcare. Patients usually cannot discuss more than one medical concern per visit. I think I got my flu shot from the reception lady who was definitely not a nurse. I can go on, but it's just anecdotal evidence.

Super happy to have found a proper family doctor. She's part of a group (Medicare) but compared to Appletree it's night and day.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HookShot posted:

Yeah, this. Entrepreneurship, in my view, requires the giant loving risk that comes with investing money that may not ever be recoupped.

Being a doctor in Canada is absolutely not that.

Ten years of your life and a huge amount of debt isn't taking a risk?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ten years of your life and a huge amount of debt isn't taking a risk?

Not when it leads you to a career where you make 350k, nope

Won't somebody please think of the .5%ers! :qqsay:

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Dreylad posted:

time to find a new doctor, I guess

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol at the :qq: over 400k in debt. white trash making 80k/year are taking out 800k mortgages and leasing BMWs you retards

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Med school debt pales in comparison to a Vancouver house mortage aahaahahahahaha loving baby doctors

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

Not when it leads you to a career where you make 350k, nope

Won't somebody please think of the .5%ers! :qqsay:

Yeah, this.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Med school debt pales in comparison to a Vancouver house mortage aahaahahahahaha loving baby doctors

You could move somewhere that's not Vancouver

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

You could move somewhere that's not Vancouver

nah

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

I dunno, man.... have you looked at some fine amazing homes in Iqaluit??

https://atiilu.com/homes-for-sale/

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
how do you live in iqaluit without killing yourself

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

I dunno, man.... have you looked at some fine amazing homes in Iqaluit??

https://atiilu.com/homes-for-sale/

I've always wondered what it would be like living up there

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

namaste faggots posted:

Apparently the crime rate is double that of anywhere southern Canada so if you don't do it yourself somebody else will probably kill you first.

Or a polar bear.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Patients usually cannot discuss more than one medical concern per visit.

That's generally because doctors only get paid for one medical concern per visit. If you bring them multiple concerns they get paid the same amount, so it makes sense from a business perspective to just answer the first concern and then move on.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

namaste faggots posted:

You don't, according to the statistics. Nunavut has the highest suicide rate in all of Canada by a country mile.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

High alcohol/substance abuse too. I think the only area where they're not #1 is teen pregnancy?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

odiv posted:

I think the only area where they're not #1 is teen pregnancy?

Govt of nunavut says they're #1 there too, http://www.gov.nu.ca/sites/default/files/files/Maternal%20strategy_ENG.pdf

quote:

Nunavut reports the highest teenage pregnancy rate in the country – 24% of live births were to mothers under the age of 19 years compared to the national average of 5% in 2004

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Brandon Proust posted:

time to find a new doctor, I guess

haha that's probably not happening so we'll just roll with it

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Evis posted:

That's generally because doctors only get paid for one medical concern per visit.

Oh, I'm well aware of that. Never got to see the same doctor twice, so I'm doubtful much (if any) of my medical history was available at each visit besides whatever I'd provide the same day.

Follow up was also lackluster. I once had an appointment to have a weird and evolving mole looked at. Some non-medical staff took photos to send to a dermatologist. They repeatedly told me to expect a call "any day now."

On my next Appletree visit, to refill my EpiPen or whatever, the doctor had no record of me ever getting a tele-dermatology consultation. :eng99:

I have yet to hear positive things about the Appletree model of care.

Bonus anecdote: clinic on Richmond Rd without heating in February. Good times.

Edit: since I did not have an Appletree family doctor, perhaps Dreylad's experience will be different.

EvidenceBasedQuack fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 10, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Albino Squirrel posted:

This is a greatly delayed response, but I'm on my (unpaid, not a benefit :( ) vacation.

Currently, I restrict my income to what my family needs and save the rest. I think the elimination of income splitting is happening no matter what, so that would slightly increase my taxes. The big deal is the increase in capital gains taxes which renders the Corp useless as an investment vehicle. If I had to take all my income up front rather than using the Corp as a quasi-RRSP, that would cost me a few dozen extra thousand in tax.

It will not ruin my life. Many of my colleagues are acting like it will ruin them, but the only case in which I can see that is if you spend the vast majority of your income on staff. (In my case my clinic pays for them.) People are talking about maybe going to Australia or new Zealand, but the two largest Anglophone countries in the world are clusterfucks both Healthcare and otherwise so I don't see a huge brain drain happening.

I may have to wind up the corporation and pay myself several years of accumulated income, so, uh, I guess I'm getting the plug-in Volvo.

Don't forget to apply for the tax breaks for the green vehicle :razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 25, 2018