Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Imperador do Brasil posted:

GM is the manufacturer
Pontiac is the brand (make)
Bonneville is the model

And that makes really good sense but then I read stuff like like this

where they claim that the Make is like Ford, or Toyota and the model is like Fiesta.

And I see other places say 'Honda Odyssey LX' but 'Chevrolet Express G1500 LS'

This seems like a completely different convention. Or more like lack of convention.

Honda is a Company. Chevy is a division of a Company.

HawkHill fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The links you posted are saying the same thing he did. So in that picture, you're not seeing 4 makes and 1 model. You're seeing 5 makes and 5 models.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

HawkHill posted:

Honda is the company but it also uses the Honda brand for their cars (Acura too)

It gets really complicated with the bigger companies like Volkswagen and Stellantis which have like a dozen brands each

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When talking about makes and models, ignore GM. GM is a big overarching corporate umbrella, it has little to do with the naming convention.

You refer to a car as like a Pontiac Bonneville or a Ford Fiesta or a Honda Accord. That's the make-model convention.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

dissss posted:

Honda is the company but it also uses the Honda brand for their cars (Acura too)

It gets really complicated with the bigger companies like Volkswagen and Stellantis which have like a dozen brands each

Volkswagen is a company. Volkswagen Group is the owner of that company along with others like Skoda, Porsche, and Audi

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

Accidental gas pedal press?

No, drat thing is defective. The harder I mashed the brakes, the further it pushed into the wall!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

HawkHill posted:

And I see other places say 'Honda Odyssey LX' but 'Chevrolet Express G1500 LS'

This seems like a completely different convention. Or more like lack of convention.

These examples follow the same convention.

Make - Honda
Model (and trim level) - Odyssey LX

Make - Chevrolet
Model (and trim level) - Express G1500 LS

”HawkHill” posted:

And that makes really good sense but then I read stuff like like this

where they claim that the Make is like Ford, or Toyota and the model is like Fiesta.

As for the Ford example, Ford is both a brand (Ford) and a manufacturer (Ford Motor Co). You’re thinking too much about it.

Ford Fiesta. That’s it - make and model.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What the gently caress is this make-model derail that you nerds are talking about? This is the post terrible car stuff thread, not the terrible post thread.

A rat or something tore up the insulation under my hood so I guess I should source a replacement piece.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

MetaJew posted:

What the gently caress is this make-model derail that you nerds are talking about? This is the post terrible car stuff thread, not the terrible post thread.

A rat or something tore up the insulation under my hood so I guess I should source a replacement piece.

Check your wiring harnesses and any vacuum hoses under the hood before you place your order for a new insulation.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

MetaJew posted:

Pretend I also posted this.

Also gently caress you, quit stealing my shtick. :mad:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JDM car meet

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

coupedeville posted:

Check your wiring harnesses and any vacuum hoses under the hood before you place your order for a new insulation.

I did. It was fortunately isolated only to the insulation. I was freaked out when I discovered it, though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/juliowhoolio/status/1408120532529299456

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

A Jeep with every trashy bolt-on known to man ventured beyond the mall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efoZsUcci9Q

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

tuna posted:

Although it was probably much easier to put it on that trailer to tow it out of the desert, I really love that the tow guy was able to drive it from where it was "stuck".

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

100k jeep or a Rzr Turbo S and 75k?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tuna posted:

Thank you for wasting the last two hours of my morning with this rabbit hole of a channel :v:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was pretty hypnotized too. I was waiting for him to pull an F350 with an owner with real weiner issues.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BlackMK4 posted:

Thank you for wasting the last two hours of my morning with this rabbit hole of a channel :v:

It's a great channel. Some of the poo poo he does might not necessarily be OSHA-approved, but he's made some pretty impressive saves. The MORRvair build is pretty sweet too. Rare to see a YouTube project car do actual work.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Zero One posted:

Although it was probably much easier to put it on that trailer to tow it out of the desert, I really love that the tow guy was able to drive it from where it was "stuck".

I mean the steering was broken, not the drivetrain. That's why he kept messing with the rocks, they were straightening out the wheels.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Moatman posted:

I mean the steering was broken, not the drivetrain. That's why he kept messing with the rocks, they were straightening out the wheels.

:ssh:

I'm mocking the 100k Jeep that got "stuck".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
And everything under it looked brand loving new, I wonder how badly they hosed up the geometry to have the sector shaft break clean in two like that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Jesus loving Christ. Note how the centre of the wheel isn't the centre of rotation for the stupid yoke thing too making a manoeuvre like this twice as annoying as it needs to be.

https://twitter.com/SnazzyQ/status/1408883038927220739?s=19

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I gotta say that looks fairly intuitive.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I thought a steering wheel shaped like that was only useful/good in a racing car setup with paddle shifters where your hands never leave the wheel and you dont have to turn it more than half a turn either direction. Trying to spin that thing through full rotations looks awful.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

yeah F1 cars have yokes but are also ~300 degress, not even a full circle, lock to lock. not to mention the loving touchscreen shifter i thought they were joking

I love the people in that thread showing their whole rear end re: being bad drivers, loving wild poo poo like steering with only a finger in the spokes.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 27, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No way I'd ever get in front of my car like that in the middle of the road with the hood up completely blind, it's partly his fault for trusting a bunch of idiots not to hit him

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

No way I'd ever get in front of my car like that in the middle of the road with the hood up completely blind, it's partly his fault for trusting a bunch of idiots not to hit him

I'd probably at least set the parking brake even if I wasn't in front of it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

tuna posted:

I drove my 2000 Toyota Echo on far worse, including dirt roads in Baja, and nothing ever broke (nor did we get stuck).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

I'd probably at least set the parking brake even if I wasn't in front of it.

Definitely, though It probably wouldn't do poo poo, the momentum would still smash his head in with the hood.

Are you supposed to use a warning triangle whenever stopped for an emergency? Even if the idiot didn't see it, there's a decent chance running over it would've get the driver to look up

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Definitely, though It probably wouldn't do poo poo, the momentum would still smash his head in with the hood.

Are you supposed to use a warning triangle whenever stopped for an emergency? Even if the idiot didn't see it, there's a decent chance running over it would've get the driver to look up

Many places you are but I usually see them 5 feet behind the stopped car because most people aren't going to walk a couple hundred feet to place one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Welp, yeah, definitely needs to be a decent distance away to make a difference.

Presented without further comment:

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/4HV6IIk.mp4

Sound improves the viewing experience.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

If you are immobile in an active lane of traffic, being inside your car is always the safest place to be. Also true when you're on the shoulder of a road. You never know if the idiot is going to look up from their phone just in time to swerve left or right and hit you even outside of it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Forgive me for being a hater but I believe that last thing that a driver needs to have a 'learning curve' when driving a new car is the loving steering wheel.

What makes me laugh is the fact a steering wheel that makes turning corners more awkward has been brought in in a country whose entire infrastructure system is built on blocks and 90 degree corners.

https://twitter.com/teslaownersSV/status/1409192547369447434?s=20

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

When Tesla teased the yoke I was pretty sure they'd also introduce a dynamic steering rack that would change the lock-to-lock to something like 270 to 300° on slow speeds. Yokes in race cars are used to increase visibility while making it possible to reduce the center of gravity by placing the driver closer to the road. In race cars where it's pretty normaly that the lock-to-lock will have a "yoke"-wheel that actually makes sense, like this:

You have a clear view of the telemetry dash, and the steering wheel still has a handle at the lower parts, so you can still position the driver lower in the car, since some tracks these GT3 cars run on need a higher steering angle where he can overhand turn the wheel.

Irregardless of all that, the center of rotation should always be the center of the steering wheel, not offset. The Tesla thing seems like a gimmick to me...

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

tuo posted:

Tesla seems like a gimmick to me...

Modified for truth.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Forgive me for being a hater but I believe that last thing that a driver needs to have a 'learning curve' when driving a new car is the loving steering wheel.

What makes me laugh is the fact a steering wheel that makes turning corners more awkward has been brought in in a country whose entire infrastructure system is built on blocks and 90 degree corners.

https://twitter.com/teslaownersSV/status/1409192547369447434?s=20

I’m the Oops when he tries putting it drive

Why does anybody want any of this

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

This whole thing looks like something The Onion cooked up. I can’t believe they made it that hard to steer, let alone change gears lmao

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
How the gently caress do Tesla's even have gwars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

How the gently caress do Tesla's even have gwars?

They don’t, but you still need forward/back/park/neutral.