Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Watching a guy I know play dark souls for the first time and I was reminded of the official strategy guide, written by someone who apparently only died one time.

Final paragraph on the page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don’t want to be That Guy either, but I also have a kid and run a business. Some days I’ll manage to clear off a solid few hours to really dig into something, but most of the time I’m lucky if I get an hour a day in, usually less. I straight up don’t have time to git gud at something that requires me to spend hours dying in the same spots.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
So many posts here like "well I can't even fathom how many other people have different views on games" and it's like, you're almost getting it, buddy

Need I also point out that on average something like 40% of people buying a game don't even beat the tutorial boss?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

People talking about Dark Souls this way feels a little silly because the whole difficulty thing was originally a marketing meme. Yeah it's a tough game but not especially so other than the added tension of few checkpoints and the fear of losing stuff on death. Brickwalling into non-optional bosses doesn't actually happen all that often and people beat the game doing things like playing on a DDR mat or on a Guitar Hero controller so you don't need split second reflexes either, there's even a hilarious 'speedrun' of multiple people playing the games all sharing a single controller and having to desperately coordinate.

Here's LPer Geop facing off a notorious early game brick wall, the Capra Demon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7W5XpvMqj4&t=20s

Geop wins because they brought enough firebombs (without really meaning to) and just flinging them at the boss and flailing around. This is a boss I had trouble with and complained about years ago and Geop does it on a first try because they were willing to test out a silly strategy that ended up working.

I think this is a little different to games like Celeste where there aren't usually 'alternate strategies' unless you're a pro at the advanced movement techniques.

Even in Sekiro, a lot of people don't use as many of the different shinobi tools as they could be.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

bewilderment posted:

Geop wins because they brought enough firebombs (without really meaning to) and just flinging them at the boss and flailing around. This is a boss I had trouble with and complained about years ago and Geop does it on a first try because they were willing to test out a silly strategy that ended up working.

Also because one of the dogs got wedged into a corner and stuck :lol:

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I've seen a lot of people bitching about Witcher 3 on the forums but I'm really digging it, my favorite part of the serie has always been the "gothic medieval horror" theme and it's hitting it out of the park and I'm only level 8. It's soooo much better then W2 which had a lot of issues and felt like a budget xbox game at time.

But the skill system is so bad, why so few slots for skills??? There's about a 100 interesting skills you can learn but you can only slot less then a handful at a time. I'm going to mod it up because that is so drat boring, I want a shitload of cool skills at the same time if I can!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

tripwood posted:

I've seen a lot of people bitching about Witcher 3 on the forums but I'm really digging it, my favorite part of the serie has always been the "gothic medieval horror" theme and it's hitting it out of the park and I'm only level 8. It's soooo much better then W2 which had a lot of issues and felt like a budget xbox game at time.

But the skill system is so bad, why so few slots for skills??? There's about a 100 interesting skills you can learn but you can only slot less then a handful at a time. I'm going to mod it up because that is so drat boring, I want a shitload of cool skills at the same time if I can!
It's the same with AssCreed: Odyssey. I don't want to choose between setting someone on fire or poisoning them. Maybe I want to do both:colbert:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, Witcher 3's skill system is bad. I preferred how they did it in Witcher 1, where you didn't have to "equip" skills, you just got given bronze, silver and gold points which you could put into the various aspects of being a witcher, like signs, bombs and sword stuff, and you eventually got enough to max out pretty much everything.

In Witcher 3 your choice is, "What kind of Witcher do you want to be?" and in Witcher 1 it's "What part of being a Witcher do you want to be best at first?"

For long RPGs that few players are going to replay, the second question is a much better one than the first.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I've had a lot of fun with both Diablo 3 and Path of Exile, but D3's system is one I can explore and learn myself, PoE is one where I have to look up a build and stick to it because there's no way I have time to figure out how all these things work together.

"deckbuilding" build systems like D3 or Guild Wars are pretty cool, though they also tend to be hideously broken if they're flexible enough not to be boring, which creates a whole other family of problems, where the floor and ceiling of player power at the same level are too far apart for any content to reasonably engage both people trying to break the system and people just casualing

as for things actually dragging this game down, I really hated how PoE, a game about skill trees, has a whole midgame-relevant skill tree gated behind your ability to clobber your way through this no-checkpoints dungeon and its boss without dying. that poo poo actually made me stop playing, and tbqh I had just started to get cozy with the game's other weird systems and see the value in them

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I bounced hard off of Path of Exile with it's stupid skill tree. It is so incredibly tedious to have to figure out which of the twenty choices you have every level is best, and all the choices are lovely. Like +3% fire damage or other poo poo you would never notice. Like you have to build it right, and the difference between zero skills and a full build is dramatic, but you never feel any more powerful at any given level.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Alhazred posted:

It's the same with AssCreed: Odyssey. I don't want to choose between setting someone on fire or poisoning them. Maybe I want to do both:colbert:

AC:Odyssey desperately needs a third skill wheel, because with all the DLC you get a hilarious amount of skill points, which you more or less just end up dumping on the passive "stats go up"-point sink which unlocks at level 50.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

AC:Odyssey desperately needs a third skill wheel, because with all the DLC you get a hilarious amount of skill points, which you more or less just end up dumping on the passive "stats go up"-point sink which unlocks at level 50.

Didn't it have one? I thought you had to switch between it and the left-hand one somehow. It was amusing how you got drowned in skill ups in the DLC though, but some of the super-Elysium skill mods actually made the skill worse somehow, like the health-restoring one.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

tight aspirations posted:

Didn't it have one? I thought you had to switch between it and the left-hand one somehow. It was amusing how you got drowned in skill ups in the DLC though, but some of the super-Elysium skill mods actually made the skill worse somehow, like the health-restoring one.

Third non-arrow skill wheel; yes it technically has three wheels already but the one on left is reserved for bow skills only.

And yes, out of 9 or so alt-skills only 3 of them were clear updates, one, maybe 2 alternatives that worked better in some contexts, and rest made things worse.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Didn't the thread title used to be "Shut the gently caress About Dark Souls"? I'm beginning to see why.

For the guy who wrote about Witcher 3, I think it catches a disproportionate amount of poo poo simply because so many people (especially on this board) play it. I had my problems with the game and never finished it but I think that said more about me and my personal preferences than the game. I just don't have the time and energy to dedicate to an entire second life, especially one that asks me to micro manage my groceries and recipes and poo poo. Too much time spent in the sub menus and staring at the mini map got old but it's a pretty amazing game and I get why people love it. A lot of little poo poo does drag it down but I've heard a lot of that poo poo is totally skippable.

But also, gently caress Dark Souls. I spent about 3 hours with it and didn't find it fun getting repeatedly wrecked through an entirely blind trial and error system. Again, I get why people might like it but it's just not for me.

RIght now I'm loving around with Alien: Isolation after a long layoff. It's awesome and very underrated but gently caress... gently caress who ever laid out that "shopping mall" level or whatever it is. Jesus Christ. All the doors and vents look the same but only like 1 in 10 open. The map is confusing and every area of the game looks exactly the other areas so you can never tell if you're in a new place you need to be. I had to look up how to get thru it but still got lost and almost rage quit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Western RPGs in general tend towards the very complex and trying to simulate as many aspects of the world as possible, which can lead to problems. (Not that JRPGs can't also be kinda byzantine, but it's more of a design choice.)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BiggerBoat posted:

Again, I get why people might like it but it's just not for me.

lol this should be the new thread title

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Not that JRPGs can't also be kinda byzantine

Nani?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In the original Mega Man X it's a common consensus to beat Chill Penguin's level first, to unlock the dash-move. The entire game is built around this skill because your basic moveset is incomplete without it.

What games have important, major features either poorly telegraphed or made optional when the core experience suffers without it?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games have important, major features either poorly telegraphed or made optional when the core experience suffers without it?

I had a blast with Metal Gear Rising but it's very bad at actually showing you how new moves work, and your basic dodge is in the paid upgrade menu with a pretty unhelpful name and description.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

In the original Mega Man X it's a common consensus to beat Chill Penguin's level first, to unlock the dash-move. The entire game is built around this skill because your basic moveset is incomplete without it.

No More Heroes has a dodge technique called the darkstep. It's incredibly useful for dodging enemy attacks and it leads into long combos.

The game never once tells you this is a thing that exists.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pretty sure that's in the (lengthy, and gives you multiple chances to opt out) tutorial.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

There's at least one person who played through Mega Man X and did Chill Penguin last and that is both pretty funny and incredibly tragic.

A lot of people went through Nier Automata not knowing that 9S could do heavy attacks. I don't think the game ever actually tells you how to do them.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Some Goon posted:

Pretty sure that's in the (lengthy, and gives you multiple chances to opt out) tutorial.

You see, this is why all tutorials should be unskippable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

A lot of people went through Nier Automata not knowing that 9S could do heavy attacks. I don't think the game ever actually tells you how to do them.

The reverse of that is that you don't have to do the theme park attacks in Kingdom Hearts 3. They can be avoided by not pressing the butt on when they're highlighted.

God of War tells you how to activate Spartan Race but doesn't tell you that you can cancel it. I figured these things out by pressing buttons when I'm curious if things would work, but not everyone's got the time to test if a game will let you do things like that all the time.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Zinkraptor posted:

EXCUSE ME?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Yeah, IIRC there's two ways to do them. Either do a light attack and then briefly pause DMC style or press evade and then immediately attack. The latter method might require the Continuous Combo chip, I dunno.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

The reverse of that is that you don't have to do the theme park attacks in Kingdom Hearts 3. They can be avoided by not pressing the butt on when they're highlighted.

Even knowing how to avoid them I still hated them for being basically a popup ad in a video game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Not pressing my butt on things always drags games down for me

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Even in Sekiro, a lot of people don't use as many of the different shinobi tools as they could be.

Because if you use them and die they're gone forever.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Final Fantasy VIII hides save points. Both in terms of some being invisible without equipping a certain skill, and by actually physically putting them in obscure rooms.

I know we've generally considered save points archaic anyway, and it's one of the few parts of RPG design that I'll concede is obsolete rather than just 'we decided it was old-fashioned and stopped', but holy poo poo it sucks on a whole new level to have to get a significant way through a dungeon before you can stop because they hid the save point in a weird corner.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Someone had to tell me that in Final Fantasy X you can swap out characters mid-battle.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Maxwell Lord posted:

Someone had to tell me that in Final Fantasy X you can swap out characters mid-battle.

No there's literally a tutorial the first time you're forced to fight a Garuda of Wakka telling you to swap him out for Yuna to summon an aeon to fight big baddies.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

I get that with your example of Control. That is a game with lots to offer and is a fun experience even outside of shooty parts. There's still a lot there if you take out the challenging parts.

But Dark Souls or Celeste? The parts that people want to skip are the entire game. Everything outside the hard parts is utter garbage. Most other games have a lot more to offer, unless you are specifically looking for slow ugly sword swinging or precise jump puzzles.

Like I completely do not give a single poo poo how other people want to play games. But I just don't understand it in this case. Who are the people who look at a game like Celeste and say "boy I want to play this specific game that has 1.) garbage art 2.) two minutes of bad story vaguely about depression and 3.) brilliantly designed jumping puzzles but please take out the jumping puzzles please."

This is an insanely bad post containing insanely bad opinions about games and an insanely bad understanding of how people possess different skill levels and come to games for different reasons. Yikes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zinkraptor posted:

There's at least one person who played through Mega Man X and did Chill Penguin last and that is both pretty funny and incredibly tragic.
I mean to be fair, for that to happen you'd have to be enough of a natural at the game to make it through all 7 non-Chill Penguin stages on your first attempt without needing the dash, or at least quickly enough that it doesn't occur to you to check out Chill Penguin stage at any point, or you'd come across the dash automatically. Although anyone that does apply to will indeed have felt extremely silly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

This is an insanely bad post containing insanely bad opinions about games and an insanely bad understanding of how people possess different skill levels and come to games for different reasons. Yikes.

Celeste *does* have options, right? I'm not sure there's an outright "easy mode" but it can be tweaked.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Cleretic posted:

Final Fantasy VIII hides save points. Both in terms of some being invisible without equipping a certain skill, and by actually physically putting them in obscure rooms.

I know we've generally considered save points archaic anyway, and it's one of the few parts of RPG design that I'll concede is obsolete rather than just 'we decided it was old-fashioned and stopped', but holy poo poo it sucks on a whole new level to have to get a significant way through a dungeon before you can stop because they hid the save point in a weird corner.

Never, ever play Final Fantasy III.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Never, ever play Final Fantasy III.

I did, the DS remake when I was a teenager.

On one hand it has some loving GAUNTLETS, I never got to beat the game because the final dungeon(s) run is so demanding. But on the other hand, by the time they got to that point they had at least figured out some form of quicksave implementation, so while you have to do it in one run, you don't have to do it in one sitting.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Maxwell Lord posted:

Celeste *does* have options, right? I'm not sure there's an outright "easy mode" but it can be tweaked.
There is an assist mode that allows everyone to get through it. You can turn on infinite stamina, dashes, make the game run slower, or become invincible.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Playing Among Us with 9 friends is the most fun that exists

Playing Among Us solo is [word unprintable]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had a blast with Metal Gear Rising but it's very bad at actually showing you how new moves work, and your basic dodge is in the paid upgrade menu with a pretty unhelpful name and description.

The game's pretty big on having you parry attacks instead of dodging them, but yeah, it would have been nice to have been told how the dodge works. I had to look it up at the end of my second playthrough because I genuinely had no idea how to do it.

It pretty much trivializes the entire final boss fight