Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

Has anyone linked their Amazon Prime account to their Wargaming account, and are the rewards worth it? Normally I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth but with Wargaming you wouldn't know what BS they could pull.

I have, but the things you get are pretty meh. It's mostly been rental ships that I already own or some containers with some Commanders/credits/camo's. If you're already getting Twitch drops and have Amazon Prime, you might as well link them for the extra's, but don't expect anything amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

kaesarsosei posted:

Has anyone linked their Amazon Prime account to their Wargaming account, and are the rewards worth it? Normally I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth but with Wargaming you wouldn't know what BS they could pull.

Why wouldn't you? You get free stuff for no tradeoff and it takes 15 seconds. Wargaming rips you off by selling a premium ship that you voluntarily buy for $50, not by ordering dildos with your amazon prime info or whatever it is you expect.

Darkrenown posted:

The T7 is rather nice too, unless sit's been power creeped by now.

The Pan Asian DD line is fine except for tier 8 and 10, there's just no reason to play it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

James Garfield posted:

The Pan Asian DD line is fine except for tier 8 and 10, there's just no reason to play it.

(Well, don't look now, but Gaishu was running Smoke YY the first day of Clan Battles)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Missions requiring you to earn "base XP" are a bigger cancer than carriers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Missions requiring you to earn "base XP" are a bigger cancer than carriers.

This but missions requiring you to do things in winning matches.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Der Shovel posted:

This but missions requiring you to do things in winning matches.

This but missions requiring you to survive the match.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

toadee posted:

(Well, don't look now, but Gaishu was running Smoke YY the first day of Clan Battles)

Yeah, YY has a really fast smoke reload and smoking two Henri into a cap was quite effective. It’s not just Gaishu either, another clan was doing it Wednesday too. It’s a solid counter to the Petro/Stal meta. I wonder if Salem/Goliath will be another one.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Question about campaign tasks - if I have 3 tasks from the Strong-Willed campaign in progress (which ends in 15 hours), can I continue to do them after 15 hours?

Might be a silly question but I know people were able to grind legendary mod missions after they took those away and put them behind the RB.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

kaesarsosei posted:

Question about campaign tasks - if I have 3 tasks from the Strong-Willed campaign in progress (which ends in 15 hours), can I continue to do them after 15 hours?

Might be a silly question but I know people were able to grind legendary mod missions after they took those away and put them behind the RB.

No, the missions were specifically extended, I doubt you'll be able to keep the campaign tasks.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Velius posted:

Yeah, YY has a really fast smoke reload and smoking two Henri into a cap was quite effective. It’s not just Gaishu either, another clan was doing it Wednesday too. It’s a solid counter to the Petro/Stal meta. I wonder if Salem/Goliath will be another one.

SCCC is already running Salem/Goliath as well. Petro v Petro is a very long dumb fight and all Petro is hideously stupid so I hope so!

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

so while ranked is dumb it is fun when you actually get matched up with good players all around. for shits and giggles i've been running full(!!) aa spec wooster ie all skills and modules and even against super unicum cv's a mfr simply doesn't have enough hp to push his rocket ships through your aa and they will die before launching every time. i've racked up more aa expert medals this season than in the rest of my games combined.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

also the fdr's giant fat squadrons eat flak bursts like candy

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

DonkeyHotay posted:

so while ranked is dumb it is fun when you actually get matched up with good players all around. for shits and giggles i've been running full(!!) aa spec wooster ie all skills and modules and even against super unicum cv's a mfr simply doesn't have enough hp to push his rocket ships through your aa and they will die before launching every time. i've racked up more aa expert medals this season than in the rest of my games combined.

This is fake, thread told me that all flak can always be dodged, AA damage doesn't matter, and if a cv wants to kill you there's nothing you can do about it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I mean, the FDR in his example here is a guy with a 1200 PR and 36k Average Damage in CVs. Yes, if a bad CV player is playing CV, he will be bad at it, it has nothing to do with you or the ship you were in though.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

toadee posted:

I mean, the FDR in his example here is a guy with a 1200 PR and 36k Average Damage in CVs. Yes, if a bad CV player is playing CV, he will be bad at it, it has nothing to do with you or the ship you were in though.

That was just the only screenshot i had because of the insane base xp but I've put up similar numbers against several 60%+ overall w/r players this season. Besides its just further cements the wooshta as a dumbass toolbox because it has been so supplanted as dpm monster

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

I did get stuck with some guy whom already had over 800 games played this season alone, somehow.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
How the hell does someone that bad at CVs get 33k steel (or c25k with coupon) to buy FDR?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

The thing with CVs is that because there's no actual interaction, you can just do simple arithmetic to figure this out:

Worcester with all AA mods (minus MASSIVE AA which is literally a nerf to actual AA) and DFAA active is at 1042 dps maximum (that is, plane inside of all 3 Auras).

FDR Level Bombers have 5045 HP per plane with modules, Ovenchicken, and aircraft armor, with 14 planes per squad.

So, an FDR would literally have to linger in all 3 of your AA zones for a minute and 10 seconds for you to kill all of them (actual time spent in there is typically around 10 seconds or so).

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

toadee posted:

The thing with CVs is that because there's no actual interaction, you can just do simple arithmetic to figure this out:

Worcester with all AA mods (minus MASSIVE AA which is literally a nerf to actual AA) and DFAA active is at 1042 dps maximum (that is, plane inside of all 3 Auras).

FDR Level Bombers have 5045 HP per plane with modules, Ovenchicken, and aircraft armor, with 14 planes per squad.

So, an FDR would literally have to linger in all 3 of your AA zones for a minute and 10 seconds for you to kill all of them (actual time spent in there is typically around 10 seconds or so).

I don't think that's right. With this build I get 181+576+190 = 947 base DPS, times 1.5 for DFAA, times 1.5 for sector (which is actually usable vs MvR rocket planes but much less so against APDB's which are unlikely to stay in one sector). That's 2130 DPS total, or 1703 DPS on the mid+long range auras. Sector reinforcement doesn't actually kick in all at once though but let's be generous here.

MvR rocket planes are the weakest planes at T10 with "only" around 2000 HP each with a reasonable build, so in the midrange aura you'll almost be dropping one a second. Midrange aura is only 4km though. I don't know what range they drop at, but I still sorta doubt you can actually kill a squad before it launches unless it's eating flak (and yes, all flak is in fact dodgeable). Maybe if he pre-dropped so there's only 6 planes, I dunno.

And all of this means that with the strongest AA cruiser in the game by far running a gimped build and with DFAA off cooldown you can maybe prevent a particular CV from striking you (and not anyone else) with a particular type of squad. If you do succeed they lose a little bit of their mana and get to try again in a minute or so, when your DFAA will be on cooldown. Remember when the Worcester was a legit alternative to DM because it had more team utility and a significant part of that utility was the long AA range?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 9, 2020

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

toadee posted:

assuming the wows wiki isn't just lying (which it might very well be) dfaa gives +50% plus sector reinforcement gives another +50% so by the time they all overlap you should be seeing in the enighborhood of ~2000 dps?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

TheFluff posted:

I don't think that's right. With this build I get 181+576+190 = 947 base DPS, times 1.5 for DFAA, times 1.5 for sector (which is actually usable vs MvR rocket planes but much less so against APDB's which are unlikely to stay in one sector). That's 2130 DPS total, or 1703 DPS on the mid+long range auras. Sector reinforcement doesn't actually kick in all at once though but let's be generous here.

MvR rocket planes are the weakest planes at T10 with "only" around 2000 HP each with a reasonable build, so in the midrange aura you'll almost be dropping one a second. Midrange aura is only 4km though. I don't know what range they drop at, but I still sorta doubt you can actually kill a squad before it launches unless it's eating flak (and yes, all flak is in fact dodgeable). Maybe if he pre-dropped so there's only 6 planes, I dunno.

And all of this means that with the strongest AA cruiser in the game by far running a gimped build and with DFAA off cooldown you can maybe prevent a particular CV from striking you (and not anyone else) with a particular type of squad. If you do succeed they lose a little bit of their mana and get to try again in a minute or so, when your DFAA will be on cooldown. Remember when the Worcester was a legit alternative to DM because it had more team utility and a significant part of that utility was the long AA range?

FDR, not MVR

It's also harder to factor in priority sector, because especially when counting max DPS, you're talking about planes that have to be inside your short range aura. Thus, they are almost certain to fly over you, and therefore over to the other side that now has reduced DPS because of sector reinforcement. It's likely a wash in real world circumstances, or at the very least not nearly the full 1.5x modifier.

Also Im pretty sure the 1.5x from priority sector is actually adding on +50% of base DPS, not DPS with DFAA added on, so it's more like 1500dps, for whatever amount of time the planes haven't crossed over. Also not instantly, it ramps over time. I mean we could charitably call it 1500 dps then, and that still brings us to 47 seconds of sitting inside close range AA - when in reality it's still more like 10 seconds.

toadee fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 9, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

toadee posted:

FDR, not MVR

It's also harder to factor in priority sector, because especially when counting max DPS, you're talking about planes that have to be inside your short range aura. Thus, they are almost certain to fly over you, and therefore over to the other side that now has reduced DPS because of sector reinforcement. It's likely a wash in real world circumstances, or at the very least not nearly the full 1.5x modifier.

I know you were talking about FDR, I was referencing DonkeyHotay's earlier post that he was consistently shooting down MvR rocket planes before they got the rockets off. For those specific planes sector reinforcement is useful but against other things I agree it's in practice far less than +50%.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Yeah MVR rocket planes are weak to Worcester and Halland legitimately. But, taking the lowest HP planes out of the lowest HP per plane CV as an example of "AA works" is sort of cherry picking. Also, good CV players will simply suicide their opening MVR rocket squad into your Worcester for a single strike (typically for 16-26k of unrepairable citadel damage) and then carry on with their life until later when they can folllow up on you with less AA/the game is already won/you've been crippled by losing half of your health permanently in spawn.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The big brain move if your AA is mediocre is to hit Priority Sector on the opposite side from where the planes are coming from, so that as they fly over, loiter and turn, they are getting more dmg. And just eat the first strike which unless you are grouped and/or have the absolute best AA, is inevitable anyway.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

toadee posted:

Yeah MVR rocket planes are weak to Worcester and Halland legitimately. But, taking the lowest HP planes out of the lowest HP per plane CV as an example of "AA works" is sort of cherry picking. Also, good CV players will simply suicide their opening MVR rocket squad into your Worcester for a single strike (typically for 16-26k of unrepairable citadel damage) and then carry on with their life until later when they can folllow up on you with less AA/the game is already won/you've been crippled by losing half of your health permanently in spawn.

I thought it was pretty obvious from my post that I was trying to make the case that AA does not in fact work, not even with the strongest AA cruiser in the game vs the weakest planes at T10. I've eaten plenty of strikes from even T8 CV's in the Worcester myself. Putting a lot of resources into making the CV player pay more mana to strike you can be a sorta funny way to try to grief bad CV players but it's not really doing much else.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I really really hope this doesn't descend again, but IMO, if a T8 CV sends 8-9 planes to attack any ship, at the cost of losing every single one of those planes he ought to be able to get 1 strike off. That to me is a poor trade for the CV.

Kaga/Enterprise can get away with that a few times but every other CV cannot afford that cost more than once or twice.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Sure, the problem is that in almost all cases they won't lose all of those planes

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

i mean fine but what about against a 70% overall fdr?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

How many of those were fighters?

Also, a good CV on a losing team is going to be throwing things away in desperate moves because they are out of options to win a game. Likely lingering planes in AA over people in hopes of someone from his team securing a kill, for example.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

toadee posted:

Also, a good CV on a losing team is going to be throwing things away in desperate moves because they are out of options to win a game. Likely lingering planes in AA over people in hopes of someone from his team securing a kill, for example.

I think zero fighters and he struck me twice at the beginning them hosed off for the rest of the game (flak dude). I'm not arguing that cvs aren't broken trash because they obviously are, what I'm saying is that you can play so far off-meta that you can catch even very very good players off guard.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

toadee posted:

A good cv on a losing ranked team is going to be securing that star are you serious

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

DonkeyHotay posted:

A good cv on a losing ranked team is going to be securing that star are you serious

They can't really - CVs saved so many stars the first ranked season they were in, WG gutted their base xp rewards. Gaishu had multiple high cal 250k+ games in FDR with like 1600 bxp.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

toadee posted:

They can't really - CVs saved so many stars the first ranked season they were in, WG gutted their base xp rewards. Gaishu had multiple high cal 250k+ games in FDR with like 1600 bxp.

didn't the fdr come out like a week ago?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

DonkeyHotay posted:

didn't the fdr come out like a week ago?

Yes and he bought it day one and streamed a bunch of ranked games with it. All CVs got their base xp nerfed though, it's extremely hard to top the scoreboard with one now in ranked.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

toadee posted:

Yes and he bought it day one and streamed a bunch of ranked games with it. All CVs got their base xp nerfed though, it's extremely hard to top the scoreboard with one now in ranked.

Yeah i misread that

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

kaesarsosei posted:

The big brain move if your AA is mediocre is to hit Priority Sector on the opposite side from where the planes are coming from, so that as they fly over, loiter and turn, they are getting more dmg. And just eat the first strike which unless you are grouped and/or have the absolute best AA, is inevitable anyway.

That doesn't actually work, if you do the arithmetic your best option is almost always to activate it on the side the planes are on whenever they are in range so that you get the damage from priority sector activation. Whatever advantage you get from timing it perfectly is unlikely to be more than the extra damage from having it come off cooldown faster. It also has the advantage that it minimizes effort wasted on a difference of like 0.1 planes worth of hp.

kaesarsosei posted:

I really really hope this doesn't descend again, but IMO, if a T8 CV sends 8-9 planes to attack any ship, at the cost of losing every single one of those planes he ought to be able to get 1 strike off. That to me is a poor trade for the CV.

Kaga/Enterprise can get away with that a few times but every other CV cannot afford that cost more than once or twice.

That isn't exactly a poor trade. One reasonably well executed strike from a Lexington for example is around 9k damage, and in a 15 minute game the Lexington has about 90 planes to use. If it loses the full squadron for one strike every time, that's 81k damage for a tier 8 CV that's deliberately targeting tier 10 AA ships. The Lexington can also trivially get 50% more strikes by pre dropping 3 planes from every wave, and it doesn't have to target tier 10 AA ships since a Lexington will never, ever get a match with no ships it can drop twice.

The CV doesn't have to "afford" the planes; its goal is to get damage and win, not to lose 0 planes. If you lose 90 planes every game in your Lexington and get 81k damage out of it, you end up with pretty decent stats. Focusing the tier 10 AA ship all game is only a bad decision because CVs are so powerful that removing one enemy ship that's supposed to counter you from the game with zero counterplay isn't even the best thing they can do.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Any suggestions on Anchorage builds? I've seen Aeroon's suggestion of acceleration mod/rudder shift but I'm curious what other builds are out there.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Under no cirumstances am I engaging in CV chat in this thread again.

Blindeye posted:

Any suggestions on Anchorage builds? I've seen Aeroon's suggestion of acceleration mod/rudder shift but I'm curious what other builds are out there.

Have you got it already? I'm just about to complete phase 17. I'd imagine the usual USN CA build would work since I don't think the smoke or torps themselves are worth building around although I guess the smoke leans the choice of rudder vs accel slightly more in the direction of accel.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

If you aren't going to engage in CV chat can you stop posting bad advice on how to play them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

kaesarsosei posted:

why did you post an opinion you knew that people were likely to engage with then

kaesarsosei posted:

Why should they get to make this trade at all, though?

CV planes are a resource they can spend to buy damage on any ship anywhere on the map at any time, something no surface ship can do. You can argue along similar lines that ship HP is also a resource that can be traded in a similar fashion, but this analogy breaks down quickly. Whether I have to trade any HP at all in a surface ship depends a lot on my skill as a player as well as on the skill of the other player. How much plane mana a CV has to trade to do damage depends only to a very small degree on the skill of the player (whether they can dodge flak or not) and on some intrinsic properties of the targeted ship. Also, when I trade HP in a surface ship I have to put up all of my HP at risk at once, but in a CV absolutely worst thing that can happen to me is that I risk something like 1/6th of my immediately available plane mana, and far less of my total plane mana over the course of the match.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 10, 2020