Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

WoWs highlight videos are apparently garbage. I had one recommended to me because I watched tutorials for my ships when I played this a while back and the trend seems to be plastering some random Anime character (??) over the map so you can't see how badly the videotaker is losing while the remaining 8 ships charge at them recklessly to get a few more xp allowing them to get a pointless devastating strike.

Stop covering the minimap with bullshit let us laugh at your shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Rev posted:

Free XP is building up and I keep going back and fourth on whether I should go for the Paulo Emilio (via RP conversion of my Free XP), or save up some more any buy the Smaland? I already have Friesland and Halland if that maters.

Apparently the Yolo Emilio can be a lot of fun but also has a very high skill floor if you want to do something better than "yolo one ship and die" in it. It would probably be insane in a T9 1-on-1 ranked sprint.

Everyone keeps talking up the Småland and I can see it. Better firepower than the Halland, still good torps, and radar. Probably the ultimate DD buster at T10.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I wish they would limit the number of duplicate ships in CB. Yes I know even if there were no duplicates the meta would still get "solved" eventually, but IMO it would still introduce more varied and interesting gameplay. Plus they should definitely be alternating CB from T7-T10 and Ranked from even T6 to T10 and with more variety in number of players per match.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

The Rev posted:

Free XP is building up and I keep going back and fourth on whether I should go for the Paulo Emilio (via RP conversion of my Free XP), or save up some more any buy the Smaland? I already have Friesland and Halland if that maters.

We've talked a lot about Småland recently and for good reason - it's arguably the best all-rounder T10 DD. The torps aren't great but they're usable, and it's an extremely strong gunboat which unlike most of the other gunboats is very good at hunting down and killing enemy DD's without any support. Kleber and Marceau are technically better at both open water gunboating and yolotorping, but Småland isn't far behind and is much more flexible in general. If you enjoy open water gunboat DD's at all it's very hard to go wrong with Småland. It has so many tools it really lets you outplay almost anyone if you have the skills to pull it off. It feels a lot like the legendary mod Des Moines in many ways - extremely high DPM, survivability scales very well with your situational awareness, can clutch games extremly hard, etc.

I don't have Paolo Emilio but it's not all that attractive to me. Far less flexible than Småland at any rate.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Der Shovel posted:

Apparently the Yolo Emilio can be a lot of fun but also has a very high skill floor if you want to do something better than "yolo one ship and die" in it. It would probably be insane in a T9 1-on-1 ranked sprint.

Everyone keeps talking up the Småland and I can see it. Better firepower than the Halland, still good torps, and radar. Probably the ultimate DD buster at T10.

Just to clarify because I think a lot of people don't realize it, it's not just better firepower than Halland, it's the second highest HE dpm of any T10 DD. Higher than Harugumo, or Daring. Only Marceau is slightly higher than it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

kaesarsosei posted:

I wish they would limit the number of duplicate ships in CB. Yes I know even if there were no duplicates the meta would still get "solved" eventually, but IMO it would still introduce more varied and interesting gameplay. Plus they should definitely be alternating CB from T7-T10 and Ranked from even T6 to T10 and with more variety in number of players per match.

Given that they had to introduce a merc system to try and get the numbers up because its sometimes hard to get 7 for Clan Battles as it is, potentialy excluding people who don't have a whole stable full of tier 10s ready to make sure you have 7 distinct ships on your team seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Keeping in mind I don't have any Tier 10s yet and I have been taking part in our CBs in a rental Zao, so I may be a bit biased. But it does mean I've experienced the wonder of the multi-petro comps.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Your rental zao has been proven mightier than both an enemy rental groz and also a non-rental zao, fear not.

You are literally a Richthofen magnet though, :smith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Preechr posted:

Your rental zao has been proven mightier than both an enemy rental groz and also a non-rental zao, fear not.

You are literally a Richthofen magnet though, :smith:

Yuuup. Opening strikes every time

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That Works posted:

Yuuup. Opening strikes every time

Not every time! There was that game where it went and hit one of our De Moines instead and then looped back to hit me for like 85% of my HP with dive bombers.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I miss the old DFAA panic effect. I wonder if it would help things to have planes taking an increasingly long time to aim based on AA DPS + time under fire vs plane HP so that while flying through long range AA and/or multiple AA zones might not kill off planes, it would at least make them less accurate.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

I miss the old DFAA panic effect. I wonder if it would help things to have planes taking an increasingly long time to aim based on AA DPS + time under fire vs plane HP so that while flying through long range AA and/or multiple AA zones might not kill off planes, it would at least make them less accurate.

considering they just released a carrier that can do a full 360 with torp planes during their attack run and lose no aiming focus, Im gonna say that's not happening

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The FdR has similar torpedo drop mechanic like the Audacious? Hrrm..

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

The FdR has similar torpedo drop mechanic like the Audacious? Hrrm..

An example https://clips.twitch.tv/TrustworthyPrettyPizzaFailFish

The discovery of this mechanic took Gaishu's opinion from "Buy literally anything else, convert your steel to coal and buy the Tier 3 destroyer Campbelltown instead" to "This is the best farmer in the game". Because you really never miss a torp drop now. You start your torp runs at an angle that no rational person would think is for them, and then you just turn on a dime in any direction you need to. With the torp attack extension module you can do this FOREVER. Like start your attack run near a DD, turn out and do a full 360 degress and the come back to torp the angle that he "dodged" into. With 0 loss of focus. You basically always land 8 torps on a battleship every time. There is no possible way to turn to avoid it, because the planes obviously fly faster and now can also turn to match the tiny meager adjustment a BB can make. It's actually really, really stupid.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Tom Tucker posted:

WoWs highlight videos are apparently garbage. I had one recommended to me because I watched tutorials for my ships when I played this a while back and the trend seems to be plastering some random Anime character (??) over the map so you can't see how badly the videotaker is losing while the remaining 8 ships charge at them recklessly to get a few more xp allowing them to get a pointless devastating strike.

Stop covering the minimap with bullshit let us laugh at your shame.

if its from a stream, that's there to make stream sniping a little harder (enemy can't just look at the streamer's minimap to know where everyone is immediately, they have to wait for the streamer to pan the camera around to see).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toadee posted:

An example https://clips.twitch.tv/TrustworthyPrettyPizzaFailFish

The discovery of this mechanic took Gaishu's opinion from "Buy literally anything else, convert your steel to coal and buy the Tier 3 destroyer Campbelltown instead" to "This is the best farmer in the game". Because you really never miss a torp drop now. You start your torp runs at an angle that no rational person would think is for them, and then you just turn on a dime in any direction you need to. With the torp attack extension module you can do this FOREVER. Like start your attack run near a DD, turn out and do a full 360 degress and the come back to torp the angle that he "dodged" into. With 0 loss of focus. You basically always land 8 torps on a battleship every time. There is no possible way to turn to avoid it, because the planes obviously fly faster and now can also turn to match the tiny meager adjustment a BB can make. It's actually really, really stupid.

Yeah this is literally what the RN carriers can do as well. Just not as many torps.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah this is literally what the RN carriers can do as well. Just not as many torps.

Yes I know, and yes, that is the problem. Problem also is that RN carriers don't have bombs that pen 60mm decks, and FDR does, so it's like an Audacious with more torp alpha, higher torp flood chance, better bomb alpha, and better bomb pen, with slightly worse rockets, with planes that cannot be killed by any conventional weapon.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
So is Ranked finished now?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toadee posted:

Yes I know, and yes, that is the problem. Problem also is that RN carriers don't have bombs that pen 60mm decks, and FDR does, so it's like an Audacious with more torp alpha, higher torp flood chance, better bomb alpha, and better bomb pen, with slightly worse rockets, with planes that cannot be killed by any conventional weapon.

Not really arguing anything here dude. I was just asking for clarification since I haven't seen anyone play the FDR. Surprised no one noticed earlier lol.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Not really arguing anything here dude. I was just asking for clarification since I haven't seen anyone play the FDR. Surprised no one noticed earlier lol.

Yeah it was never mentioned in any of the writeups on FDR, Gaishu just randomly noticed it while playing during ranked, then started exploiting it and pretty soon was like "oh, this took this ship from trash to busted". The bombers do the same thing, although they don't turn as tightly. The torp plane turning radius is what makes it so ludicrous.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toadee posted:

Yeah it was never mentioned in any of the writeups on FDR, Gaishu just randomly noticed it while playing during ranked, then started exploiting it and pretty soon was like "oh, this took this ship from trash to busted". The bombers do the same thing, although they don't turn as tightly. The torp plane turning radius is what makes it so ludicrous.

Maybe someone at WG messed up the throttle + turn coefficient or something. Yeah those torp planes turn on a dime. I have pulled kinda similar turns in the Audacious but only at perpendicular angles to my target. 360 no scoping DDs though :q:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I'm sure they'll never fix it. Can't have a CV that has any weakness at all, especially one for steel.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Hey goons, I haven't played for a while, and I just logged in for the first time in more than a year or so. And for some reason I have 121 million credits and 434000 free xp sitting in my account, which is enough for a Tier X ship. I could get myself any one of these:

Des Moines
Khabarovsk
G. Kurfurst
Minotaur

Last I played the Khaborovsk was considered OP, the Des Moines was good but you needed to deal with the shell arcs, and I don't know much about the others. In the current state of the game, which of these is the funnest?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Some people would say Mino is most fun but I'd pick the Des Moines, hands down. The Khaba is just poo poo now, and the GK is situationally fun but really hard to play with the current meta.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

Hey goons, I haven't played for a while, and I just logged in for the first time in more than a year or so. And for some reason I have 121 million credits and 434000 free xp sitting in my account, which is enough for a Tier X ship. I could get myself any one of these:

Des Moines
Khabarovsk
G. Kurfurst
Minotaur

Last I played the Khaborovsk was considered OP, the Des Moines was good but you needed to deal with the shell arcs, and I don't know much about the others. In the current state of the game, which of these is the funnest?

The Des Moines is always good. The Khaborovsk was nerfed to the ground, and then replaced by other DD lines. The Mino has its moments, its fun, but I would pick it second over the DM.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
DM and Mino are both extremely strong and fun, although you'll be missing out on the legendary mod for Des Moines which is a little feels bad. Mino works great out of the box although it is somewhat hard mode for a cruiser. They both require very good situational awareness but are also extremely rewarding.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
How able/willing would you be to saving up another 500k FreeXP? Because for 1m you can get Alaska which is probably the best or second-best Tier9 ship of any type (Georgia). You can always grind the tech-tree T10s.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

My Mino experience up until recently has been terrible, but I've amped up my movement, forgot about torpedos and try to be a nuisance to the enemy team. It's getting more fun but it sucks to be deleted by any Tier 10 BB for the tiniest mistake whereas the Des Moines can tank it better.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I ended my night last night on an extremely satisfying Minotaur game, a kraken where I killed both members of an O7 division. Here's the saved out highlight from my Twitch stream. I'm pretty poo poo at explaining what I'm thinking but maybe there's some useful take from it. I also make about a billion mistakes at the end after I get raided by another streamer and Im chatting with him, but, it all works out, because when you love your Mino Bae, she puts a horseshoe in your rear end (no kinkshame).

https://twitch.tv/videos/770069356

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

toadee posted:

I ended my night last night on an extremely satisfying Minotaur game, a kraken where I killed both members of an O7 division. Here's the saved out highlight from my Twitch stream. I'm pretty poo poo at explaining what I'm thinking but maybe there's some useful take from it. I also make about a billion mistakes at the end after I get raided by another streamer and Im chatting with him, but, it all works out, because when you love your Mino Bae, she puts a horseshoe in your rear end (no kinkshame).

That Montana kill was nice

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

New WoWS Code: TOGETHER800K

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

toadee posted:

This was great, the Republique torpedo loving was perfect. I play way too aggressively in my Mino.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Cancelbot posted:

This was great, the Republique torpedo loving was perfect. I play way too aggressively in my Mino.

Watching that monster game made me realize just how bad the meta has changed. He had a lot going for him; specifically his team did little things wrong but none of the DDs suicided early, there were no carriers, and he got lots of spotting for his island firing. The first death of the game was almost four minutes in, and you don't start seeing him farm damage until well after that.

Every single game I've played has pretty much been decided in the first two to three minutes. By minute four my team either has 5 kills or has lost 5 ships in most games, and the only times I've been able to claw back games has been through hyper-aggressive play or oppressive spotting/harassment when I'm playing a CV. The ships where you have to play cautious early and see where the enemy is going, or that play best when the field is whittled down a bit are the ships where I find myself where he was...5 minutes in with 10-15k damage, only with my team down 2 caps and with multiple ships lost or I'm 5 minutes in with 30 or 40k damage but my team is winning so hard the enemy score goes to zero. It's just not satisfying gameplay in general. In this environment, the ships I can really move the needle on are tanky BBs, CVs, and ships like the Ostergotland which can shrug off CVs, outgun most DDs, and harass the gently caress out of everything else with long range torps. It might be power creep but ships that I can reliably do great with late-game (Zao, French Cruisers, American DDs) just haven't been as effective because they can't reliably upset the game's balance in the first two minutes.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

This lines up with my experience too - in the North Carolina I do well because I can tank damage and pull bigger stuff in towards me, in the Minotaur I have to hide for the first 5 minutes and finish up with well below 40k damage dealt whilst the BBs sweep everything up. Also lol when toadee got spotted the first time and the priority target lit up with "5" almost immediately, the true Minotaur experience; I managed to get it to 8 in one game.

Cruisers definitely get stronger in late game, but they might as well not exist until half the enemy team is gone. The way I go about it now is making it a numbers game, 5x BB at the start with ~30 second reloads means overlapping fire can come in as quickly as every 6 seconds, if you're 1 on 1 with the last BB in the game they have 24-30 seconds depending on their uptake of adrenaline rush/captain bonuses and you can apply pressure more effectively as a light cruiser based on counting their reload times to sprint around cover.

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 15, 2020

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Cancelbot posted:

Cruisers definitely get stronger in late game, but they might as well not exist until half the enemy team is gone.

This. This has been why my winrate has been declining and it's almost entirely been a steady drop in my cruiser performance. Unless you can trap a DD in a radar cruiser or land some good stealth torp hits from a Zao/Atago/Mino type ship, most cruisers have to wait a few minutes taking pot shots and crossing their fingers that their team doesn't go full retard in the new meta.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I mean, that's one game, and one Minotaur game at that. You pretty much never want to be taking any chances early in Minotaur. Other cruisers would happily be shooting in the open then. Nevsky for example would be open water firing, just not moving up past the edge of his cap face in to 3 BBs like the enemy one did (and STILL got away with!!!!!!). The ships on my flank were mostly kiting away at the beginning, and Minotaur wants to be receiving a push, not pushing a kite - so sometimes in those situations you have to wait for an area where an enemy will want to push. Other games though you get it right off the bat and I'm at 100k 6 minutes in. It's all about playing the board, not just playing a single set of rules for your ship.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

You under-estimate my ability to potato. Some games I get to be incredibly mobile and switch flanks quickly but the more common match is when I get caught flat footed way too far in front and get melted very quickly, I've watched other Minotaur games and they're similar to yours: they alternate extreme caution with "gently caress this particular ship" and that's where I get stupid fingers and crash broadside to a Yamato.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

toadee posted:

I mean, that's one game, and one Minotaur game at that. You pretty much never want to be taking any chances early in Minotaur. Other cruisers would happily be shooting in the open then. Nevsky for example would be open water firing, just not moving up past the edge of his cap face in to 3 BBs like the enemy one did (and STILL got away with!!!!!!). The ships on my flank were mostly kiting away at the beginning, and Minotaur wants to be receiving a push, not pushing a kite - so sometimes in those situations you have to wait for an area where an enemy will want to push. Other games though you get it right off the bat and I'm at 100k 6 minutes in. It's all about playing the board, not just playing a single set of rules for your ship.

That's why I've found the new Russian cruisers so useful in the current meta; they can tank absurd damage and either dish out tons (Nevsky) or have excellent broadside-punishing alpha (Petro). Honestly I haven't leaned hard on using the radar with those ships, tanking and punishment are what seems to help the most in the meta. Especially when spotting with your face in random battles is very important.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I saved out another good example of being patient from the same night. This game looked absolutely hopeless, but, the power of not dying occasionally just puts you in the position to win. It's not amazing gameplay or anything, but, maybe people want to see examples of being patient instead of making huge plays I dunno. Also excuse the odd audio, I div up with my 76 year old dad on Tuesdays. He doesn't do Discord/have a headset or a mic etc, and so Im on the phone with him via Google Voice.

https://twitch.tv/videos/771410902

Blindeye posted:

That's why I've found the new Russian cruisers so useful in the current meta; they can tank absurd damage and either dish out tons (Nevsky) or have excellent broadside-punishing alpha (Petro). Honestly I haven't leaned hard on using the radar with those ships, tanking and punishment are what seems to help the most in the meta. Especially when spotting with your face in random battles is very important.

Yeah my single game record for damage tanked is in Nevsky:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kaesarsosei posted:

How able/willing would you be to saving up another 500k FreeXP?

Pretty much not at all.

Got the Des Moines. I'm so out of date on everything. Is this right for upgrades/skills?

T1: Main Armaments 1
T2: Damage Control 1 sucks, right? It's Engine Room Protection for T2?
T3: Aiming Sytems 1
T4: DC2 (Or is this the one that sucks?)
T5: Concealment
T6: GFCS

Priority Target
Adrenaline
Expert Marksman
Superintendent
Concealment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Pretty much not at all.

Got the Des Moines. I'm so out of date on everything. Is this right for upgrades/skills?

T1: Main Armaments 1
T2: Damage Control 1 sucks, right? It's Engine Room Protection for T2?
T3: Aiming Sytems 1
T4: DC2 (Or is this the one that sucks?)
T5: Concealment
T6: GFCS

Priority Target
Adrenaline
Expert Marksman
Superintendent
Concealment

Good except swap the t4 slot to prop mod