Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tower Offense game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I guess doom is too then also symphony of the night

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Upsidads posted:

I guess doom is too then also symphony of the night

The easiest legit distinguisher is that you have to go looking for the enemies in Doom/Symphony of the Night/etc., whereas in a tower defense the enemies always know where your base is, how to reach it, and are always going to come towards it while the run is going. Hence, VS as tower defense where you're both the base and the tower, but not unmodded Doom.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

No there is fixed position monsters too

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Slotducks posted:

Simplicity is key:
Lethal Company's arachnophobia mode is a way better executed:

As a different kind of phobia haver, is this getting super common nowadays?

It's always seemed really interesting that this is the 1 type of phobia I see handled via a config

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The stuff that gets publicity gets special handling. Spiders are pretty infamous, because most people find them offputting, so they get used by every dev who wants to unsettle the player. And thus people with arachnophobia can't play an awful lot of games, and raise a fuss about it.

Folks who play retro games often hack them to remove full-screen flashes, to protect epileptics, for similar reasons. These days it's pretty rare (though not unheard-of) for a game to use strobing visuals, because many devs know that they're problematic, but there's plenty of other ways that epileptics get hosed with that don't get fixed because they're less well-known. For more info on that, see this thread.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Upsidads posted:

No there is fixed position monsters too

ALL of the enemies have to be trying to get into position to attack the base ALL of the time, though. I'm sure it's easy to make them even if there somehow aren't Doom TD wads already but the base game didn't do that.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Speaking of magicraft, it just dropped a new sizable update!

quote:

In the new version, we have added 250 new maps, 5 new spells, new NPC6, 2 new relics, 2 new curses, and other brand new content;

Seems like they added a way to enable/disable spells?

quote:

New NPC 6: Tentacle Girl
NPC function to unlock new spells and increase the range of spells available
The development of this feature stems from concerns about the gradual increase in spells and the dilution of the spell pool resulting in not being able to construct builds smoothly. We have added this feature after an active meeting and discussion, and we hope you can enjoy it. Of course, Tentacle will also have new features in future versions, please look forward to it~!

As well as being able to do some more crazy chain type builds

quote:

This new spells were added because people wanted to increase the demand for spells that trigger new spells after the end of the fuse type, so we managed to introduce 4 new spells of this type after going through a heated discussion.
Because the original code logic is not enough to support the new spells, so we threw all the code into the forge for recasting, completely refactoring all the underlying logic, so it took a longer time, I hope you can forgive;

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The easiest legit distinguisher is that you have to go looking for the enemies in Doom/Symphony of the Night/etc., whereas in a tower defense the enemies always know where your base is, how to reach it, and are always going to come towards it while the run is going. Hence, VS as tower defense where you're both the base and the tower, but not unmodded Doom.

To add to this:
Your primary objective is surviving waves of enemies over time. Your abilities all auto fire. Enemies pursue a singular point and will pursue said point until time expires or they are dead.

Ticks every box. If "your tower moves" means you're not tower defense, then call it turret defense.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm kind of sad that "bullet heaven" didn't catch on as much as "action roguelike" for Vampire Survivors-style games, since it's both relatively descriptive and also a completely unique appellation that isn't reliant on other genre names that are already so broad as to be functionally meaningless out of context.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Thats because Bullet Heaven is a bullet hell I played on newgrounds fifteen years ago.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Mario is a walking simulator
But with a jump modifier and has classes
Yes platforms are involved why you ask?

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 21, 2023

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

As a different kind of phobia haver, is this getting super common nowadays?

It's always seemed really interesting that this is the 1 type of phobia I see handled via a config

It's a combination of good publicity and (in most cases) an easy ask. And if done right (like Lethal Company) it evens builds on the existing vibe of a game.

Other phobias aren't nearly as easy to handle. Take me and Subnautica as an example. Still haven't beat either game because I can only play in very short bursts before my phobia wins out. Really no way to handle thalassophobia there without changing the ENTIRE game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2273430/BlazBlue_Entropy_Effect/

Anyone kept track of the BlazBlue game? It seems like they're hitting 1.0 in January.

How does it's gameplay stack up compared to something like Dead Cells?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Retro42 posted:

Other phobias aren't nearly as easy to handle. Take me and Subnautica as an example. Still haven't beat either game because I can only play in very short bursts before my phobia wins out. Really no way to handle thalassophobia there without changing the ENTIRE game.

I didn't have any fear of the depths before I finished subnautica, real or virtual

now I have thallasophobia, thanks subnautica

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

That first reaper is responsible for a lot of trauma.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Subnautica helped me get over the phobia of the ocean I've had since getting stung by a jellyfish as a kid, but still gently caress the leviathans I will always close my eyes while they're on screen.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Systemic Cleverness Wars escalate anew in the eternal battle between DiceCard games vs CardDice games----the latter perhaps pulling ahead for now with Reign of the Renegade:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2306530/Reign_of_the_Renegade/

quote:

Reign of the Renegade is a challenging roguelite deckbuilder. Learn Actions, Collect Artifacts, and level up your Character to make powerful synergies.

3 Unique Characters

Overwhelm enemies with your strength as the Warrior, dive into the shadows and strike as the Rogue, or center yourself and unleash channeled blasts as the Monk. Each character has their own style, as well as advantages and disadvantages.

12 Different Classes

Hone each Character's playstyle further by picking from one of their classes. Will you be a fist-flinging Berserker, or a calculated Executioner?

300 Actions to Master

100+ Artifacts to Collect

100+ Enemies to Vanquish

Can you beat the odds, and will that be enough to end the Reign of the Renegade?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I made a thread. A Tiny Rogues thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050084

Right now it isn't very good, but you can improve it! by posting on it!

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2273430/BlazBlue_Entropy_Effect/

Anyone kept track of the BlazBlue game? It seems like they're hitting 1.0 in January.

How does it's gameplay stack up compared to something like Dead Cells?

I haven't played it in a bit, but when I did it was pretty fun; gameplay is kind of based around modifying a handful of main actions, there's a fun gimmick of saving the record of runs to use them as equipment for a future run (giving you one of the character's abilities on a cooldown and I think some stat bonuses). Each character I had unlocked played notably different and they each have their own set of upgrades. Might reinstall it and check out the new content I've missed out on.

In other news I just bought Chrono Ark, and got a "whoops you weren't supposed to get this far on your first run" cutscene so I must be doing something right.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Chrono Ark is great. I love everything about it. The story gets pretty compelling too. Just waiting for the final update to add the real ending before I go back to it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just got to Doom Gardens in RoboQuest and what the actual gently caress

(e) is there a way to clear a keybind? i have one thumb mouse button mapped to 2 things by mistake

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 22, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Ciaphas posted:

I just got to Doom Gardens in RoboQuest and what the actual gently caress

Doom Gardens has a bit of a gimmick to it. If you hang back and snipe, the timer kills you; if you try to rush through, the grapple turrets and legions of jumping mines kill you. You want to push through briskly but carefully, clearing out safe spots and staying on the move.

Killing the different-coloured, hovering mines gives you some health back and replenishes the timer a fair bit. So it's a matter of balancing safety against alacrity - you need to be making steady progress, neither rushing nor hesitating. Check your blind spots, clear a path, pick off the special mines as you go, and you'll be fine.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Either use guardian and tactically forcefield your way through clusters of exploding enemies, or use engineer and rely on your drones to thin the field while you push forward.

Other classes can probably work too but those seem like the easiest ways to cheese it in my experience.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

the holy poopacy posted:

Either use guardian and tactically forcefield your way through clusters of exploding enemies, or use engineer and rely on your drones to thin the field while you push forward.

Other classes can probably work too but those seem like the easiest ways to cheese it in my experience.

Commando (or anyone with damage/firerate upgrades) with a decent torpedo gun can pretty much spray-and-pray through the entire stage. Those things don't have a ton of health, so you can just magdump in their general direction and the constant barrage of homing explosives will do the rest.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Angry Diplomat posted:

Doom Gardens has a bit of a gimmick to it. If you hang back and snipe, the timer kills you; if you try to rush through, the grapple turrets and legions of jumping mines kill you. You want to push through briskly but carefully, clearing out safe spots and staying on the move.

Killing the different-coloured, hovering mines gives you some health back and replenishes the timer a fair bit. So it's a matter of balancing safety against alacrity - you need to be making steady progress, neither rushing nor hesitating. Check your blind spots, clear a path, pick off the special mines as you go, and you'll be fine.
ok good to know. i bamboozled myself into instinctively rushing through because i'd done The Rift the previous run (with 0.11s to spare. least I got a cheev for that :shepface:)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Chrono Ark is great. I love everything about it. The story gets pretty compelling too. Just waiting for the final update to add the real ending before I go back to it.

It's great! There are a couple loose ends I'd love to be solved (like the period of time after the mine collapse but before the emergency freeze protocol) as well as the 'real identities' of a couple of the characters, but I hit all the achievements in preparation for the ending. It's a good game!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tiny Rogues has officially updated to Heaven & Hell on the non-beta branch :toot:

Progress from the beta did not carry over, but progress from the non-beta branch did so you may have a lot of metaprogression unlocks anyway, and might have World Tier 3 unlocked.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 22, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also unlike other timer-based areas, Doom Gardens only seals off the crystal/upgrade point if you fail. It can be advantageous to duck in there if your build can handle it because you'll likely hit level 15 from the extra XP. Plus extra rank power cells.

Admittedly not something I've ever done regularly. But I appreciate that most of the oddball alternate routes can stay relevant.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Tiny Rogues has officially updated to Heaven & Hell on the non-beta branch :toot:

Progress from the beta did not carry over, but progress from the non-beta branch did so you may have a lot of metaprogression unlocks anyway, and might have World Tier 3 unlocked.

Huzzah! I was worried my progress wouldn't carry over, so this is good to know.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I feel like tiny rogues got harder but also lots more interesting. Haven't gotten to death yet. 4 runs in.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Got my first death win in Tiny Rogues about 6 runs in. Had 6 soul hearts and 3 armor and a Necrotic staff that was doing 1500+ a hit with doublestrike (whatever it is that makes you shoot twice). My next run I made it to floor 10 on Cinder 2. Heaven and Hell is good.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

victrix posted:

I didn't have any fear of the depths before I finished subnautica, real or virtual

now I have thallasophobia, thanks subnautica

Conversely, playing Subnautica made me yearn for the sea even more than I normally do (a whole lot). I want to go there and pet all those fish. Except for the little exploding assholes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There are several brave souls who suffer from thalassophobia who've played Subnautica on Youtube and I feel a little bad about how entertaining I found it. (But hey, I gave them views just like they wanted!)

But yeah, I don't have thalassophobia but playing Subnautica was the first time I understood it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I didn't realize there was a name for it until I was panicking checking out a submerged shipwreck in Skyrim of all things.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm not quite at the point of being "phobic" but there was a part in Might & Magic VI where you're going through a bunch of archipelagos and there's Titans rising out of the ocean surface to stalk you. That made 9-year-old me go "Oh hell no I'm not doing that."

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
If you haven't tried Tiny Rogues on controller, you may be interested to know that it enables aim assist. There's a slider you can crank all the way up. This lets you focus more on dodging but there are some boss fights where locking onto an add instead of the boss might make you take longer to get the kill.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Has anyone played Have a Nice Death? It looks gorgeous, and it has an Overwhelmingly Positive Steam review average, but all the reviews are just insanely dumb meme poo poo so it's impossible to tell if the game is actually good, or if it just appealed to Steam morons.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Diephoon posted:

If you haven't tried Tiny Rogues on controller, you may be interested to know that it enables aim assist. There's a slider you can crank all the way up. This lets you focus more on dodging but there are some boss fights where locking onto an add instead of the boss might make you take longer to get the kill.

this was my biggest problem trying to play on controller, or specifically the target assist just targets what it wants so in some rooms/situations it makes things significantly harder than it has to be :(

i really want to kill the low health enemy lobbing projectiles at me but the aim assist insists on targeting the high health melee enemy following me instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Has anyone played Have a Nice Death? It looks gorgeous, and it has an Overwhelmingly Positive Steam review average, but all the reviews are just insanely dumb meme poo poo so it's impossible to tell if the game is actually good, or if it just appealed to Steam morons.

It's very pretty, but I found the game kinda frustrating to play. As far as recent action roguelikes go, I wouldn't really recommend it