Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
see the real way to fix the game is to spend all your time and resources fixing the New Player Exphahahahahaha im sorry i couldnt do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr. Grinch posted:

see the real way to fix the game is to spend all your time and resources fixing the New Player Exphahahahahaha im sorry i couldnt do it

I lived in Empire for a couple of weeks learning to do basic stuff, and then another few days after applying. I finished the Exploration stuff, and did the first couple of mining missions before I podded myself to 1DQ. My opinion was that a completely new Eve pilot could learn all the basics from the Agency stuff, so it’s not bad and they cover all the stuff I wanted to do anyway. Of course, I only have 1 character on one account, but I was happy as Alpha and Omega is a good deal to me for my playtime spent in a social game!

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

yea but you had the benefit of graduating to goonswarm to keep your interest, which is what hooks most of the years long veterans; social groups
no amount of revising the agency missions or whatever is going to hook people quite like joining a space guild

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Exactly. CCP should build things that enable groups, and guide/nudge players toward groups.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Just lolling if you think any current MMO publisher wants to voluntarily permit players to vet other players into certain facets of exclusivity within their game, and not simply keep a gacha themepark on life support for the lowest denomination of a clueless pubbie mouthbreather with an IOT device.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

well yeah im not delusional enough to believe that ccp will make any game design decisions that dont prioritize pursuit of profit above all else

i guess i should clarify when i say "fix the game" i mean make it good, not make it popular

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
imagine if they, instead of cash grabbing, made the game good instead of driving off 80% of the players since 2013

then their 33% price hike would be 5x more profitable

game devs always go for the short term benefits, because they're company hoppin bitches, and want the short term gains and promos so they can go to another job and call their life there a success

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

imagine if they, instead of cash grabbing, made the game good instead of driving off 80% of the players since 2013

game devs always go for the short term benefits, because they're company hoppin bitches, and want the short term gains and promos so they can go to another job and call their life there a success

hell yeah, gently caress all those game devs moving on to the other lucrative game dev positions in iceland lol

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Cease to Hope posted:

hell yeah, gently caress all those game devs moving on to the other lucrative game dev positions in iceland lol

i mean it's less to other game dev positions and just other positions in generla

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

when you do everything perfectly, logoff trap the target, but before you land from logging in they've already warped off because they saw you in local

very good balance

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cease to Hope posted:

I feel like I learned how to differentiate between criticizing someone's work and criticizing someone as a person when I was like, 12 years old

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

I feel like I learned how to differentiate between criticizing someone's work and criticizing someone as a person when I was like, 12 years old

it's always fun to see "lazy game devs" deployed unironically

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

when you do everything perfectly, logoff trap the target, but before you land from logging in they've already warped off because they saw you in local

very good balance

at the end of the day, if both sides do everything perfectly, either the prey gets away or the prey is hosed. the only good way to balance the game is if the prey does everything perfectly, they can get away.

the question of how hard it should be to do everything perfectly is another question, but you can't have the prey in a no-win situation because they then just don't play

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

evilweasel posted:

at the end of the day, if both sides do everything perfectly, either the prey gets away or the prey is hosed. the only good way to balance the game is if the prey does everything perfectly, they can get away.

the question of how hard it should be to do everything perfectly is another question, but you can't have the prey in a no-win situation because they then just don't play

yeah, the issue is it's laughingly easy to have a script screen read, or just bot and be 100% safe

it's pretty much automated safety at this point

and also there are plenty of times where predators win when prey play perfectly, happens all over eve, and people still do those activities (ie buttholes and pogven)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

pugnax posted:

Sorry guys, saw some of those posts on r/eve and given the shitshow of this thread thought it could use some deep wisdom from the Reddit sewer.

:smithfrog:

that's just the lighting

adjust your helmet's lamp a bit and you'll see what you thought is deep wisdom is actually just a sinkhole filled with poo poo

NtotheTC posted:

So I don't know if this is the place for a big "help me please" effort post but I don't really know where else to put this. The recent price hike on accounts has caused me to re-evaluate how many I'm willing to run at once, but I'm having difficulty in deciding which ones to ditch/transfer. I was hoping the Fanfest reveals would contain something that grabbed me and steered me in a direction but unfortunately nothing did.

The 7 accounts I currently Omega are:

1: Main Account ~48mil SP
- Main pilot that flies/is always training to fly the generic subcap doctrine ships
- Jita Alt

2: Logi Account ~27mil SP
- Subcap logi pilot who is currently training towards being a FAX pilot as well
- Salvage/hauling alt that can fly DSTs
- a PI char

3: Ratting Alt 1 ~ 27mil SP
- This was my main ratting character when I did Ishtar ratting in 2016, now she has good Domi/drone skills and is training to fly a carrier

4: Ratting Alt 2 ~8mil SP
- A character I started to do havens in a squad of 4 praxis' with all my ratting accounts, can now fly a smartbombing machariel
- a PI char

5: Ratting Alt 3 ~8mil SP
- Same as above
- a PI char

6: Ratting Alt 4 ~30mil SP (14mil unspent)
- a character I bought cheapish off a friend that still has 14 million unspent SP (don't ask) that is about 7 days off being the gunning character for a trio of smartbombing machs with Ratting alts 2/3

7: Dread alt ~8mil SP
- a dread alt I've had training for 6 months or so

Currently my eve online routine is going on fleets with my main (or logi alt if needed) doing incursions sometimes when we get a delve spawn, and ratting in havens occasionally with 4 praxis' for ISK generation. I was training towards 3 smart bombing machs to replace the praxis squad and that's nearly complete.

THINGS I WOULD LIKE:
- Main subcap pilot for fleets
- A dread pilot so I can take part in the big cap fights
- A carrier pilot (possibly need 2, I was considering using some of the 14 million free SP) for killing dread spawns and other "big" ratting, and for incursions and suitcasing (along with the dread) for gef deployments etc
- Some form of ISK generation that is "log on for an hour or two some evenings to unwind" style, I liked haven ratting for this reason
- To only have to pay for 3 (max 4) accounts per month. If others can be kept online via plexing in a way that doesn't take up more than a few hours a month of space work I'm ok with that too

The carrier and dread alts currently have their skill queues loaded and are subbed for 6-8 months each and will have finished training by the time their subs expire so I don't have to worry about them for a while.

I'm not averse to selling some of the characters for ISK, but they're quite a hodgepodge of skills so it may not be worth it. I think I'd enjoy the trio of smartbombers ratting havens, but that kind of requires 4 accounts to run (with the salvager) so I'd have to shuffle characters around. I also as yet have not sorted out cyno alts, which I guess I'd have to MCT on my existing accounts (one for each cap pilot?)

Alternately if there's a better place to post this feel free to tell me to gently caress off there.

My own suggestion would be to cancel all your accounts and donate half the money you gain to charity. Escape this hellscape and make the real world a better place at the same time!

Use your new free time to play Elden Ring or something, I dunno

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

and also there are plenty of times where predators win when prey play perfectly, happens all over eve, and people still do those activities (ie buttholes and pogven)

what are the circumstances in the hole or in poggersland where a target has no way out?

my understanding of holes, at least, is that somebody who is d scanning for combat probes will always be able to get away

can you logoff trap a hole site being cleared by a Tengu 80km away? or are logoff hunters targeting Bastion module ships being lazy

this is a genuine question by the way, I am curious how the risk profile in the hole compares to null or pcosven

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 15, 2022

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

what are the circumstances in the hole or in poggersland where a target has no way out?

my understanding of holes, at least, is that somebody who is d scanning for combat probes will always be able to get away

can you logoff trap a hole site being cleared by a Tengu 80km away?

or wait in hole cloaked in sites

ez pz

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

or wait in hole cloaked in sites

ez pz

what's the counter play for this? what does the prey do to avoid it happening?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Me leaving a Ganking/Scamming 101 class minus a Paladin and a billion shorter.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

NtotheTC posted:

play economically, rat with friends (aka get friends), and utilize hole control

also it's inordinately hard for predators to play 'perfectly'

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

NtotheTC posted:

ideally, a hacksaw and access to CCP's servers

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Funny, people always manage to find and kill our newbies when we send them in to WH space to huff gas in ventures.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

play economically, rat with friends (aka get friends), and utilize hole control

also it's inordinately hard for predators to play 'perfectly'

What it sounds like is that you want your solo playstyle to be preserved while saying that ratters don't have the right to play solo because they're too vulnerable? I dunno what play economically means, sounds awfully clcose to "don't undock"

e: to be clear, what you've described sounds like the ratter has no way to escape if they happen to go into a site that someone has log trapped them in. that's not good gameplay. there needs to be play/counter play otherwise it's just rng

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 15, 2022

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

NtotheTC posted:

What it sounds like is that you want your solo playstyle to be preserved while saying that ratters don't have the right to play solo because they're too vulnerable? I dunno what play economically means, sounds awfully clcose to "don't undock"

e: to be clear, what you've described sounds like the ratter has no way to escape if they happen to go into a site that someone has log trapped them in. that's not good gameplay. there needs to be play/counter play otherwise it's just rng

...as opposed to ratters always being safe always and forever?

yeah i think slightly pushing it in favor mechanically for the predators is better than the prey being 100% safe with absolutely no effort

this isn't to say reward should remain dogshit, but balancing it in favor of the predators but having it be much more mechanically balanced is in everyones best interest

once again, the whole 'your playstyle' thing is old, it's not my playstyle, i actually rat more than i hunt in nullsec

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

I can’t :capitalism: large enough or loud enough.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

...as opposed to ratters always being safe always and forever?

yeah i think slightly pushing it in favor mechanically for the predators is better than the prey being 100% safe with absolutely no effort

I never suggested that ratters should be safe always and forever, I'm saying you can't have a system where an alert and competent ratter ends up in a situation where they have no warning of an impending gank and then no options for escape when the ganker springs their trap, it doesn't matter if the rewards are better, that isn't a good gameplay loop

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

learnincurve posted:

Funny, people always manage to find and kill our newbies when we send them in to WH space to huff gas in ventures.

operative word, newbies

lol

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

NtotheTC posted:

I never suggested that ratters should be safe always and forever, I'm saying you can't have a system where an alert and competent ratter ends up in a situation where they have no warning of an impending gank and then no options for escape when the ganker springs their trap, it doesn't matter if the rewards are better, that isn't a good gameplay loop

the issue is, you CAN have that, you can also have the inverse, where an attentive ratter is always safe

the problem is, currently, it is laughably easy to google 'afk ratting script eve online' to download a screen reading ahk script that warps you off when a hostile enters local

it's so loving stupid easy to be infinitely safe, and it's insanely hard to be perfectly offensive

this is a bad thing, that needs to be fixed

if anything, in NULLSEC the attacker should be favored in favor of higher rewards for prey.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

"they can cheat"

so cheat back

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
no, they'd rather poo poo their pants and cry that CCP is making the game easier for nullsec carebears

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
qq i cant gank a ratter because he saw me in local qq

so what move on to a place were they dont pay attention, or better yet realize this isn't 2008 and people have more of a clue now

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

It's a lot easier to cry and blame someone else, though.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Globby my dude i dont know how many more different ways to say if you want to incentivize people to stay in space and fight you they have to believe that they have some counter play to getting caught.

youre telling on yourself with the "play economically" which I assume means "plan to die and fly cheap poo poo" which as we have established is not an incentive to undock and remain in space

theres a conversation to be had around creating incentives for people to stay and fight hunters if they believe they can survive/win, there is no conversation around incentivizing players to plan on dying with no counterplay "because the isk is good"

Edit: it seems kind of obvious and is silly to type out but dichotomizing players into predators/prey is dumb. no one chooses to be prey, and dying isnt fun no matter how much isk you earned in that hull
there is a huge difference between playing a game where its fun to be in space and even if you get caught, you have some options that might allow you to escape/kill them vs if you get caught youre hosed but hey at least you turned a profit

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 16, 2022

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Mr. Grinch posted:

no one chooses to be prey, and dying isnt fun no matter how much isk you earned in that hull
there is a huge difference between playing a game where its fun to be in space and even if you get caught, you have some options that might allow you to escape/kill them vs if you get caught youre hosed but hey at least you turned a profit

This is a good point and also highlights how complicated balance is in a game full of minmaxing autists. Give the ratter more abilities to escape, and soon whatever mechanic is created to do that will be abused (eg make it easier to cyno/jump, etc). They already have some options to kill the hunters but will choose not to, because you want to minmax for the task at hand and optimal ratting fits are bad for pvp and vice-versa.

Given the game design, the ratters should be in a small gang, but because of inherent selfishness no one wants to dilute their isk/hr so they go solo in specialized fits and avoid any pvp by immediately docking up. Or social coordination and game theory inevitably lead groups to share intel and deny any fights at all to discourage roaming gangs from “farms and fields” content.

There’s no easy answers. Make 0.0 over too safe and reasonably sized fleet combat withers. Provide a way to engage in consensual fleet combat (eg instanced battles) and the game loses what made it special in the first place.

Don’t envy Hilmar at all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

once again, the whole 'your playstyle' thing is old, it's not my playstyle, i actually rat more than i hunt in nullsec

And when you rat, do you keep local minimized so you can't see if any hostiles enter the system?

If not, you're part of the problem.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Hobologist posted:

And when you rat, do you keep local minimized so you can't see if any hostiles enter the system?

If not, you're part of the problem.

You can play within the established game theory of a system, and still recognize and call out that it's not working. Seriously. All of you making GBS threads on Globby's good points should grab a frigate/destroyer/T1 cruiser, take a Needlejack filament, and try to catch literally, loving, *anything*. You're accusing him of not knowing what he's talking about (He's probably ratted/krabbed more than most of the posters itt against him here have), when none of y'all have tried even the most casual, bare basic, minimal investment small scale PvP out in null sec. It's really next to impossible to even catch the lowliest of AFK vexors, let alone anything else. You're appearing in local before your game client even loads the system you've entered, and they are already in warp at that point. If you think that's the way the game should be balanced in null, we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Did ESI just explode? Just got a warning my entire set of alts need ESI updated.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021
https://forums.eveonline.com/t/please-close-investment-scam-eve-easy-invest-use-your-isk-to-make-isk-and-withdraw-at-any-time/315043

630 bill not bad. Wish I had the skills to put together something as sleek as having a whole app for a fake bank.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

A quick question: How long does the auth process usually take for returning members? Itching to start importing.

Edit: just to be clear, im not trying to hurry anyone, just interested to adjust my expectations. If it takes a week, then it takes a week

Keisari fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Keisari posted:

A quick question: How long does the auth process usually take for returning members? Itching to start importing.

Did you pay the special fee for expedited service?