Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Any help identifying this mystery tentacle in our new tank?

https://youtu.be/uY7T4VRLA1E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Spaghetti worm?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
That's what other people are saying. That's good, we were worried it was aiptasia for a bit.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

DrakeriderCa posted:

That's what other people are saying. That's good, we were worried it was aiptasia for a bit.

Aiptasia look like palythoas, but brown and glassy. And they're not as big a deal as most people say they are in small numbers.. Kalkpaste or something makes quick work of them.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

SaNChEzZ posted:

Aiptasia look like palythoas, but brown and glassy. And they're not as big a deal as most people say they are in small numbers.. Kalkpaste or something makes quick work of them.

Keyword there is small numbers. If you have a big tank you can easily have hundreds before you notice them. :gibs:

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Last week I bought 9 berghia nudibranches for $110 to deal with the 50-100 apstasia in my 130. I've tried Apstasia-X for years and the shits always just come back. Very short term, inefficient solution. I'm REALLY hoping the nudis work.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Nudibranches are cool dudes. I have a lettuce nudi in my tank now and he's fun to watch and works hard.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Rallos posted:

Nudibranches are cool dudes. I have a lettuce nudi in my tank now and he's fun to watch and works hard.

Are lettuce nudis really reef safe? I love watching nudis but I've heard mixed things about their predilection for soft corals.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

With nudis the main thing to worry about is if they die they release toxins.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Nudis are pretty much all obligate feeders and generally only exactly the things they look like, lettuce nudis only eat certain species of algae.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I see. We have really limited hair algae in our tanks, so I'm not sure if we could sustain one very long.

I also have a wrasse and a clown now. :toot: I just love watching them both swim.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Just rebooting my tank using the aquaforest system. Totally sterile tank, cooked rocks and sand and running siporax. No ducking about this time.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

DrakeriderCa posted:

I see. We have really limited hair algae in our tanks, so I'm not sure if we could sustain one very long.

I also have a wrasse and a clown now. :toot: I just love watching them both swim.

Depending on the wrasse it would probably have harassed the nudi to death anyway.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
It's a six line

They don't jive sometimes?

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

DrakeriderCa posted:

It's a six line

They don't jive sometimes?

Six lines can be real assholes. Depends on the specimen really.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I got my gel filters in the mail and dug out my old camera to take some new macro pics! The filters really help with the color balance.

I'm too lazy to go through and inline a dozen images so click here. (SA should really have an automatic gallery inliner already...)

Also, people have probably already seen it but I can't stop looking at this "pest only" pico tank

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 17, 2016

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anony Mouse posted:

I got my gel filters in the mail and dug out my old camera to take some new macro pics! The filters really help with the color balance.

I'm too lazy to go through and inline a dozen images so click here. (SA should really have an automatic gallery inliner already...)

Also, people have probably already seen it but I can't stop looking at this "pest only" pico tank

Nice pics! I really need to take some new photos, but I've been fighting such an algae battle lately that I get too annoyed to do it.

That "pest" tank ended up looking gorgeous.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

That "pest" tank ended up looking gorgeous.
Yeah it's ridiculous. Once I get my current tank stabilized I'm tempted to start a "pest/free livestock only" tank on a shoestring budget. I'm sure my results wouldn't come close to this guy though.

Side note, later in that thread pest tank guy complains about living in Portland and unironically links to this article, by douchebag "author" Matt Forney who wrote a book about how to manipulate foreign women into sleeping with you. :sigh:

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 17, 2016

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Is General Hardness something that is valid to measure in a saltwater tank, or only KH? I tried measuring GA and it was off the charts, I gave up on adding drops to the tube trying to get the color to change. Google isn't being very helpful.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Anony Mouse posted:

Is General Hardness something that is valid to measure in a saltwater tank, or only KH? I tried measuring GA and it was off the charts, I gave up on adding drops to the tube trying to get the color to change. Google isn't being very helpful.

KH is the only one that matters. You should be using RO water anyway so the general hardness is a non issue.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Makes sense, thanks.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Anony Mouse posted:

Makes sense, thanks.

You should pick up a saltwater specific test kit. It will have more relevant tests for your tank. The Red Sea kits are pretty good and reasonably priced.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016
So in a few months I'll be getting my own house and I'll have the space and freedom for a salt water tank. it will be my first plunge into SW but I've kept tropical for years. I plan on getting a big tank, the biggest one my budget or should I start small? I know bigger is better in fresh water because water parameters are easier to control. Also,is RO water a must and do I need live rock and sand because the horror stories with prest hitch hikers like bristleworms scare the poo poo out of me.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Kinbote posted:

So in a few months I'll be getting my own house and I'll have the space and freedom for a salt water tank. it will be my first plunge into SW but I've kept tropical for years. I plan on getting a big tank, the biggest one my budget or should I start small? I know bigger is better in fresh water because water parameters are easier to control. Also,is RO water a must and do I need live rock and sand because the horror stories with prest hitch hikers like bristleworms scare the poo poo out of me.
I went the "bigger is better" route with my first tank and got a 75 gallon. It taught me a LOT about the hobby but looking back I wish I had started smaller. 75 gallons was a bit big and I didn't have clear goals of what livestock and corals I wanted to keep, and I ended up getting rid of the tank in about a year for a variety of reasons. I would say 30 gallons is a perfect first tank size, look into "biocubes" and the like. But really it comes down to what your goals are and what you want to keep. Every saltwater animal has different requirements and preferences on everything from tank size to water quality to lighting power to their individual temperament and diet. Step one is having a good idea of what you want to be in the tank.

As for RO/DI water, it's definitely recommended, even if your tap water is relatively "clean" it will have lots of undesirable trace minerals in it. I recounted a horror story earlier in this thread about how I accidentally used my RO/DI waste water in my tank for about 6 months and had few ill effects, but I did have some nuisance algae and diatoms that evaporated almost overnight when I switched to using the correct water line. Hitchhikers and bristle worms - there are steps you can take to minimize your risk of pest hitchers but at some point you are almost guaranteed to end up with some. Even by taking every conceivable precaution and starting from scratch with a "dead" tank, every single rock, coral, and animal you put in your tank has some risk of carrying pests. But it's really not that big of a deal when it happens, most "pests" are actually pretty harmless. Your best bet is to take precautions against the worst of the worst (red bugs, nudibranchs, fire/eunice worms etc) and don't sweat the small stuff. Most things that show up are easy enough to manage and can sometimes actually be pretty cool. Bristle worms for example aren't really a pest, they're scavengers and will only reproduce to a sustainable level so it's important to not overfeed the tank. You just have to be careful not to touch them or wear sturdy gloves when your hands are handling rock (which is a good best practice anyway, worms or not) because their spines do suck balls.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Lord Kinbote posted:

What do you want to keep? That will kind of dictate tank size and shape, used versus new, RODI water vs distilled vs treated tap water, etc.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Anony Mouse posted:

I went the "bigger is better" route with my first tank and got a 75 gallon. It taught me a LOT about the hobby but looking back I wish I had started smaller. 75 gallons was a bit big and I didn't have clear goals of what livestock and corals I wanted to keep, and I ended up getting rid of the tank in about a year for a variety of reasons. I would say 30 gallons is a perfect first tank size, look into "biocubes" and the like. But really it comes down to what your goals are and what you want to keep. Every saltwater animal has different requirements and preferences on everything from tank size to water quality to lighting power to their individual temperament and diet. Step one is having a good idea of what you want to be in the tank.

As for RO/DI water, it's definitely recommended, even if your tap water is relatively "clean" it will have lots of undesirable trace minerals in it. I recounted a horror story earlier in this thread about how I accidentally used my RO/DI waste water in my tank for about 6 months and had few ill effects, but I did have some nuisance algae and diatoms that evaporated almost overnight when I switched to using the correct water line. Hitchhikers and bristle worms - there are steps you can take to minimize your risk of pest hitchers but at some point you are almost guaranteed to end up with some. Even by taking every conceivable precaution and starting from scratch with a "dead" tank, every single rock, coral, and animal you put in your tank has some risk of carrying pests. But it's really not that big of a deal when it happens, most "pests" are actually pretty harmless. Your best bet is to take precautions against the worst of the worst (red bugs, nudibranchs, fire/eunice worms etc) and don't sweat the small stuff. Most things that show up are easy enough to manage and can sometimes actually be pretty cool. Bristle worms for example aren't really a pest, they're scavengers and will only reproduce to a sustainable level so it's important to not overfeed the tank. You just have to be careful not to touch them or wear sturdy gloves when your hands are handling rock (which is a good best practice anyway, worms or not) because their spines do suck balls.

I have a 200 litre juwel lido(I'm from Ireland so we don't deal in gallons) tank sitting in my parent shed just sitting there from when I upgraded,its a cube and would be perfect, L 70 cm H 70 cm W 50 think it's actually designed for reefs. I was going to sell it to fund something bigger but looks like I'll be using that! Maybe invest in some good equipment for it instead,so I'll just need a canister filter and Rodi water?my LFS sell Rodi water but I'll just buy Rodi unit .

Wandering Orange posted:

What do you want to keep? That will kind of dictate tank size and shape, used versus new, RODI water vs distilled vs treated tap water, etc.

Well I guess clowns and cleaner shrimp I havnt really thought about it,they seem to be the go to beginners.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

My new mystic sunset monti is losing some color on the skin which is a bit worrying. Polyps seem healthy though. Hoping that once I get rid of my huge plating monti and start automatically dosing it will color up some. I also have a new LED bulb on the way that I'm interested in trying out.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Welp, sad times. One of my sexy shrimp got herself killed overnight. Not sure exactly what happened. I found her stuck upside down in the overflow box between the media basket and glass. I have no clue how she could have even gotten into the overflow, let alone in that weird of a position.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are you sure it's the shrimp and not a molt? I've been fooled before on that.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

Are you sure it's the shrimp and not a molt? I've been fooled before on that.
I've been fooled too. Sadly this is not one of those times. :C

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anony Mouse posted:

I've been fooled too. Sadly this is not one of those times. :C

Bummer =(

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
After I visited the Ocean Riders guys in June (seahorse.com) I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of seahorses from them. They'll ship along with a small live supply of the Hawaiian red opae ula shrimp.

I haven't been this excited about a new addition to my tanks since forever.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I watched a PBS Nova special the other day on biofluorescence, and the seahorses were by far the coolest looking.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Enos Cabell posted:

I watched a PBS Nova special the other day on biofluorescence, and the seahorses were by far the coolest looking.

Hail Satan.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Hey guys. I just had a tank crash in my bedroom tank and lost my goldfish so I'm going to break this whole thing down, disinfect the gently caress out of it and rebuild it from scratch as a invert/reef tank. No fish.

I have been doing some research and I wanted to run is by you all as a set up. I can't drill this tank so that's out.

What I was going to do was make an overflow area in the corner and run one of my cannister filters from it, through the cannister acting as a media reactor, to the sump with a protein skimmer and live rock in it and use the other cannister filter as another media reactor coming from the sump and going back into the tank. Any possible problems with is set up?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

No, that won't work. The drain from an overflow needs to be due to gravity otherwise you are trying to balance two pumps (one draining tank, one draining sump) which will NEVER be stable. If you can't drill the tank then your only overflow option is an over-the-top style. Give this a read through for sump FAQ if you haven't already: http://www.melevsreef.com/articles/what-sump

You're not going to need to run a lot of media since you'd have zero fish so low nitrate production. The canisters are likely to end up being used just as pumps and additional water volume which is needlessly complicated and expensive, in my opinion.

What size tank, sump and canister filters are we talking anyways?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Wandering Orange posted:

No, that won't work. The drain from an overflow needs to be due to gravity otherwise you are trying to balance two pumps (one draining tank, one draining sump) which will NEVER be stable. If you can't drill the tank then your only overflow option is an over-the-top style. Give this a read through for sump FAQ if you haven't already: http://www.melevsreef.com/articles/what-sump

You're not going to need to run a lot of media since you'd have zero fish so low nitrate production. The canisters are likely to end up being used just as pumps and additional water volume which is needlessly complicated and expensive, in my opinion.

What size tank, sump and canister filters are we talking anyways?

40 gallon breeder aquarium
2 MarineLand C-360 filters
20 gallon aquarium for sump

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
If you don't have a drilled tank you don't do marine.

Period. Full stop. Don't even try. You'll hear stories about people that managed it, don't listen to them.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

revmoo posted:

If you don't have a drilled tank you don't do marine.

Period. Full stop. Don't even try. You'll hear stories about people that managed it, don't listen to them.

So basically I have to drill this thing. Okay. I guess I will find someone to drill it.

Now who the hell drills aquariums? LFS?

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Buy a glass drill and watch YouTube. It really is a piece of piss to drill a tank. Hell with a breeder 40 it not like it's a weird or expensive ta k to replace God forbid you ham fist it.

• Locked thread