Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Pubic Lair posted:

I'm 5'10" and 210 so I don't totally need forwards.

Huh, that explains it. I found the Zephyr to be really comfy on a long ride, but I'm 5'5" with short legs. Cruiser position feels awkward to me, I like being on top of the bars and not using my spine to absorb road shocks. Had me wondering when you posted about trading the Zephyr for a Sporty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Took a detour on the way home and found a petroleum refinery with the security gate wide open. Rode around inside it and nobody came out to yell at me, figured I'd stop for a quick photo-op.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Dielectric posted:

Huh, that explains it. I found the Zephyr to be really comfy on a long ride, but I'm 5'5" with short legs. Cruiser position feels awkward to me, I like being on top of the bars and not using my spine to absorb road shocks. Had me wondering when you posted about trading the Zephyr for a Sporty.

The seat also had a weird slant and I always felt like I was falling forward. I also should mention I've lost like 40lbs and at 250lbs the seat was way to thin. I think if I got down to 170 or so the bike would have been pretty nice but as a 550 it was still pretty buzzy trying to cruise on the highway.

Zeroboy
Feb 21, 2001

Oh god what did I just do.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Zeroboy posted:

You did the best thing you'll ever do.

Repsol scheme is the greatest scheme.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Zeroboy posted:

You just did what I want to do!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Zeroboy posted:

The best thing you'll ever do in your life.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

That adds 50 HP to the bike, easily. :smug:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Zeroboy posted:

Topical

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Zeroboy posted:

You appear to be about to kick your rear sprocket. Or wee on your own seat. Are these theft-prevention measures?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Saga posted:

You appear to be about to kick your rear sprocket. Or wee on your own seat. Are these theft-prevention measures?

Looks like he's going to shart in his pants, actually.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
*plooorrrp*

"Self-destruct system. Deee-activated. Good morning, Michael."

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

This is cool as gently caress.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
:aaa: I looked for the source of that image, and did you know that it's also mechanically functional? There's a tiny engine with moving pistons that operate when you turn the rear wheel.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/30154

Wish the guy had built it in that Lego CAD program -- then you can upload the file to Lego and they'll let you order a custom package with all the parts and automatically-generated instructions to build it.

couple other lego motorcycles
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/9899
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/29123
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/23369

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Wow, that Lego Repsol replica is fantastic! I modded my 8420 into a boxer engine tourer a while back.
EDIT

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 1, 2012

Fatz
Jul 1, 2011
It's burned 1qt every 1000 miles since new, but it's mine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Harley taking a page from Honda reliability? :v:

Bon Mot
Dec 7, 2007

by T. Finninho

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

All that black is loving awesome.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Something's wrong with the rear turn signals.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

front wing flexing posted:

All that black is loving awesome.

Needs more black. Get a can of Hammerite and sort out those lights, foot controls, and heads.

Now here's the important question - how do you make fork sliders and brake disks black, while keeping them functional? I think anodising, if it's done really well, could take care of the forks but the brakes are a bit more of a problem. Maybe some kind of automatic sprayer connected to the brake light. Whoever cracks that problem has a fortune waiting for them...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Black-oxidized nickel plating on the fork sliders, reinforced carbon-carbon brake discs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Black-oxidized nickel plating on the fork sliders, reinforced carbon-carbon brake discs.

You're a genius. Of course how you get carbon brakes on a harley when their riders already think the front brake is the insta-death lever is another matter...

(Actually wouldn't Harleys (assuming decent rubber) benefit most from insanely powerful brakes, with that low centre of gravity and nice long rake and trail? Part of me wants to do this just to take it to a track day)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Disagree, an all blacked out bike like that really could use polished rims

Comedy option: whitewalls

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel
Is it bad that I think whitewall tires would look badass on that bike?

Edit: also, some red and white pinstriping

Detroit117 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 11, 2012

Bon Mot
Dec 7, 2007

by T. Finninho
I originally planned to put red rims on her, but settled for the black. And I would definitely put whitewalls on them.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Picked up my new F700GS today.
First thing to do will be to remove the massive mudflap hanging off the fender, then get a real windscreen.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

theperminator posted:

Picked up my new F700GS today.
First thing to do will be to remove the massive mudflap hanging off the fender, then get a real windscreen.

Ride it in the rain before you take the rear flap off first. It really cuts down on a lot of nasty splash and spray in inclement weather, even if it does look like rear end on the bike. PO put an F800GS rear flap on my F800S, and I've ridden with it both on and off, definitely a noticeable difference with it on. Your tailbags or pillion might appreciate it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Just put down the first payment for this:

Should have her in about 45 days. A bit of a step up from my current Suzuki 125. :neckbeard:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Edmond Dantes posted:

Just put down the first payment for this:

Should have her in about 45 days. A bit of a step up from my current Suzuki 125. :neckbeard:

Looks cool. What is it? I don't recognize it and didn't see a brand on it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

front wing flexing posted:

Looks cool. What is it? I don't recognize it and didn't see a brand on it.

It's a Jawa Daytona 350, but I think the name depends on the country, in Europe and (I think) the states it's a Leonart Daytona 350.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ThatCguy posted:

Ride it in the rain before you take the rear flap off first. It really cuts down on a lot of nasty splash and spray in inclement weather, even if it does look like rear end on the bike. PO put an F800GS rear flap on my F800S, and I've ridden with it both on and off, definitely a noticeable difference with it on. Your tailbags or pillion might appreciate it.

I'd also suggest riding it (like legitimately on the highway for a few hours) with the stock windshield before going all GS-guy with an NBA backboard setup.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

This thing showed up today!

2011 Yamaha FZ6R 5400~ miles

No pictures of the Harley box that it came in.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

clutchpuck posted:

I'd also suggest riding it (like legitimately on the highway for a few hours) with the stock windshield before going all GS-guy with an NBA backboard setup.

If it's anything like the f650gs it's going to need a better windscreen. I'm short and anything over 65-70mph for any amount of time got tiresome.

The #1 thing I love about my new bike over my F650 is the wind protection, now I can ride up to 60mph with my visor open.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Went on a turkey run last weekend, loaded 4 turkeys on the bike.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
This is my 2005 KTM 625 SMC. I finally have it all in order, sort of. Though, I think I need to adjust the valves, and figure out where a small oil leak is coming from.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MetaJew posted:

I think I need to adjust the valves, and figure out where a small oil leak is coming from.

I believe this is the Austrian pledge of allegiance.

e: nice bike!

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

If it's anything like the f650gs it's going to need a better windscreen. I'm short and anything over 65-70mph for any amount of time got tiresome.

The #1 thing I love about my new bike over my F650 is the wind protection, now I can ride up to 60mph with my visor open.

Yeah I took it on a freeway for an hour and it was pretty bad, something bigger than the thumbnail sized stock one would be good, It shouldn't need to be too massive.

Are these things known for clutch drag? even with the cable adjusted and the lever all the way out it lunges forward a little when starting, and is hard to push around with the clutch in.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was curious about that for a 250 ninja. I usually move it in N but i was pushing it in 1st with the clutch in the other day and it took a lot of force to move. I'm a small dude but i was having to really push to get it going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure I never had that issue on my EX250, I always park and leave the bike in first. same thing on my 675.

It's annoying because I can't walk the GS around unless I put it in neutral.