Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

The Dave posted:

How do you envision this versus what the app already does?

I mean like when you go to YOSPOS, the app UI could turn black to match how the forum looks, or pink on FYAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

pokeyman posted:

Fixed in the next update!

Brilliant. You guys do a great job.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Helpimscared posted:

I mean like when you go to YOSPOS, the app UI could turn black to match how the forum looks, or pink on FYAD.

You mean basically the top navigation bar eh? Because everything else does change.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Loving the app, it's just too bad that gifs cause such a problem with it. I don't know if it's my phone or what but any post with more than a couple of gifs completely freezes the app or crashes it. Now I don't know much at all what kinds of things can be done but would it be possible to have a thing where gifs are shown as still frames until you tap them or something? Like flashblock kinda does. Just for gifs above a certain size so smilies an avatars are still animated by default.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Loving the app, it's just too bad that gifs cause such a problem with it. I don't know if it's my phone or what but any post with more than a couple of gifs completely freezes the app or crashes it. Now I don't know much at all what kinds of things can be done but would it be possible to have a thing where gifs are shown as still frames until you tap them or something? Like flashblock kinda does. Just for gifs above a certain size so smilies an avatars are still animated by default.

Posts with lots of gifs are a problem for everyone, but it sounds like you're getting hit particularly hard by it. Are you on an older model phone? This is very much an issue that everyone involved is interested in fixing, but there's unfortunately little that can be done about it right now due to technical reasons that I don't know enough about to explain. It's definitely something that's going to be addressed as soon as a good solution is found, but unfortunately that may not happen any time soon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stare-Out posted:

A frequent and reasonable request, but unfortunately both those things (get a still frame, and determine the size of the image) require the image to load first.

I need to get back to trying the gfycat stuff.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

Posts with lots of gifs are a problem for everyone, but it sounds like you're getting hit particularly hard by it. Are you on an older model phone? This is very much an issue that everyone involved is interested in fixing, but there's unfortunately little that can be done about it right now due to technical reasons that I don't know enough about to explain. It's definitely something that's going to be addressed as soon as a good solution is found, but unfortunately that may not happen any time soon.
I have a 4S and aside from gif-heavy posts it works like a dream. As limited as my knowledge is when it comes to programming this stuff, I get that it must be a trick and half to resolve this issue. Good to know it's being looked at of course.

Subjunctive posted:

A frequent and reasonable request, but unfortunately both those things (get a still frame, and determine the size of the image) require the image to load first.

I need to get back to trying the gfycat stuff.
That makes sense, yeah. One way I can regain some control over the app (at least enough to exit the offending thread) is by going from normal mode to landscape mode which makes the app respond for a brief time somehow.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Let me disable Courier in yospos.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Also, the macinYos font looks like poo poo, same with winyos

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
It would be nice to have a way to skip to the next post, or a way to collapse quotes maybe. Something to reduce the pain of galtse outbreaks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Soricidus posted:

It would be nice to have a way to skip to the next post, or a way to collapse quotes maybe. Something to reduce the pain of galtse outbreaks.

Make 2-finger scroll go at post granularity?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Make 2-finger scroll go at post granularity?

I just got a tingle in my pants, very interesting idea.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Waaaay back in the day the app used to scroll to the next post if you double-tapped the screen. That feels like a better solution to me than two-fingered scrolling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Diabolik900 posted:

Waaaay back in the day the app used to scroll to the next post if you double-tapped the screen. That feels like a better solution to me than two-fingered scrolling.

I disagree, I think it's a scrolling analogue, you want to go fast or slow, and you want to go up or down.

If double-tapping moved me to the next post, I'd probably report it as a bug.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
On the other hand, a gesture that can be performed one-handed would be convenient.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Soricidus posted:

On the other hand, a gesture that can be performed one-handed would be convenient.

That's fair, yeah. map apps use the double-tap drag for one-hand zoom, hmm.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I disagree, I think it's a scrolling analogue, you want to go fast or slow, and you want to go up or down.

If double-tapping moved me to the next post, I'd probably report it as a bug.

I can't picture how two-fingered scrolling would work as a solution. The problem we're trying to solve is that there's no easy way to skip directly to the next post. Every post is a different size though, so wouldn't that mean that the scrolling rate would constantly change as you're scrolling? That sounds like it would be weird and jerky. It would be fine if two-fingered scrolling was like normal scrolling, just faster, but I don't think that would actually solve the problem.

Soricidus posted:

This too.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Another oddity to report.

Whenever I reply to a private message, a back arrow or cancel button is absent but pressing in it's supposed location achieves the desired result regardless. Perhaps it's being hidden somehow?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I take cat pictures on my phone, edit them on my phone (by cropping), then post them. When I post them, the uncropped version ends up on the post.

Image:

Was edited by cropping, seen here:

The version posted is the original, not the cropped edit.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 6, 2014

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Add my vote to double tapping to go to the next post (if this is some sort of democracy)

Edit:

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I take cat pictures on my phone, edit them on my phone (by cropping), then post them. When I post them, the uncropped version ends up on the post. I will edit this post shortly with examples.

I believe this got fixed in the beta. Not got my phone near me to test right now

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

101 posted:

Add my vote to double tapping to go to the next post (if this is some sort of democracy)

Edit:

I believe this got fixed in the beta. Not got my phone near me to test right now

Ah, cool, thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

xilni posted:

Another oddity to report.

Whenever I reply to a private message, a back arrow or cancel button is absent but pressing in it's supposed location achieves the desired result regardless. Perhaps it's being hidden somehow?

Fixed in the next version! Friends don't let friends present view controllers off the main thread.

101 posted:

You are correct!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Shout out to my avatar purchaser (Subjunctive?), who inadvertently helped me fix the bug with the avatar on top of the menu not refreshing properly, and also compelled me to get that avatar animating.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

pokeyman posted:

Fixed in the next version! Friends don't let friends present view controllers off the main thread.

Thank you very much. I had another bug where the app would throw out a scary exception popup message when I tried to open my messages on an empty inbox instead of a more meaningful "you have no messages" as the background text to an empty inbox.

Can't reproduce it anymore since I no longer have an empty inbox and it's by no means a big bug, just a nuisance that could be polished out.

pokeyman posted:

Shout out to my avatar purchaser (Subjunctive?), who inadvertently helped me fix the bug with the avatar on top of the menu not refreshing properly, and also compelled me to get that avatar animating.

Any chance of getting SOAP support when I long click someone's name or portrait? I think this may be a SALR feature that I've really gotten to like.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xilni posted:

Thank you very much. I had another bug where the app would throw out a scary exception popup message when I tried to open my messages on an empty inbox instead of a more meaningful "you have no messages" as the background text to an empty inbox.
Will check that out!

quote:

Any chance of getting SOAP support when I long click someone's name or portrait? I think this may be a SALR feature that I've really gotten to like.

What is SOAP?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

pokeyman posted:

What is SOAP?

Eh now I'm not sure if it's saop or spoa or whatever what it's the button (possibly added by SALR addon) that allows you to see someone's avatar history.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xilni posted:

Eh now I'm not sure if it's saop or spoa or whatever what it's the button (possibly added by SALR addon) that allows you to see someone's avatar history.

Oh ok, cool, looks like that's this SOAP, and there's another one over here called SAARS. Anyone have any idea how these work? If it's scraping the Forums somehow then I can do that in Awful, instead of relying on other sites.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Scraping and guessing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wasn't me on the av.

Two-finger scrolling would work like the by-letter scrolling you sometimes see over the scrollbar area on things like music apps and Contacts. Moving a given distance on the screen would always move the same number of posts, it just changes the unit of scroll from pixels to posts, and snaps to the post. 3/4" per post or so seems like it could work pretty well.

Could do the chunked scrolling thing with a scrollbar-like thing too, which would 1-hand and perhaps be more discoverable.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

pokeyman posted:

Oh ok, cool, looks like that's this SOAP, and there's another one over here called SAARS. Anyone have any idea how these work? If it's scraping the Forums somehow then I can do that in Awful, instead of relying on other sites.

Yep it's absolutely the first one. Try the SALR extension in chrome and take a peak at the implementation.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I believe it grabs the current av URL and backtracks based on that; that's why SOAP won't show avs that are mod-given (like the big BYOB ones) because those are hosted elsewhere on the server and therefore outside the normal SA avatar schema.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I believe it grabs the current av URL and backtracks based on that; that's why SOAP won't show avs that are mod-given (like the big BYOB ones) because those are hosted elsewhere on the server and therefore outside the normal SA avatar schema.

Oh ok, cool. Thanks for the info!

Regarding jumping to the next post: what about tapping the toolbar? (Somewhere there isn't already a button.) Kind of a counterpart to tapping the status bar to jump to the top.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Am I imagining it or did there used to be an option in Settings where you could make the app open the 'Bookmarks' list first rather than the full forums list? I know the Android version has this option (I know the development of that app is completely unrelated to this one).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

Am I imagining it or did there used to be an option in Settings where you could make the app open the 'Bookmarks' list first rather than the full forums list? I know the Android version has this option (I know the development of that app is completely unrelated to this one).

It was removed once the app started restoring your previous state when launched.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Oh ok, cool. Thanks for the info!

Regarding jumping to the next post: what about tapping the toolbar? (Somewhere there isn't already a button.) Kind of a counterpart to tapping the status bar to jump to the top.

Seems like it'd be easy to miss and hit the status bar, but I may be clumsier than most.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Seems like it'd be easy to miss and hit the status bar, but I may be clumsier than most.

Sorry, toolbar at the bottom is what I meant. Navbar is at the top.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'd advise against adding any other hitboxes to that toolbar.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I don't think I can tap the toolbar with my thumb in portrait orientation without hitting an existing one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"Jump" isn't centered over the selectotron. Makes me a little twitchy.

Also, would "last post" be more useful than "last page" there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Actually I think it is, it's the wheel that ends up looking off centered.

• Locked thread