Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

CitizenKain posted:

I had a problem with one of the older versions of that mod where the character AI would just shut off, and all of sudden Lydia or whoever would just be standing there. You could talk to them, trade with them and so on, just they'd never move again.
While on Skyrim, it was funny how they handed the character Lydia early on and I never once saw a reason to swap her out with anyone else. 1st time through the game, I think she killed more enemies then my character did.

I never use followers and Lydia creeps me the hell out, sitting in my bedroom eating bread 24/7. So she usually doesn't stay in my house very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kimmalah posted:

I never use followers and Lydia creeps me the hell out, sitting in my bedroom eating bread 24/7. So she usually doesn't stay in my house very long.

I like to deliberately tell my follower to sit on the nearest chair and wait while I sleep. "I'm going to have a nap. You just sit there, silently, doing nothing, until I wake up. OK? Good."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The exploding zombies in Dying Light are the worst. Mostly because there's nothing you can do to them, any attack just causes them to explode but if you leave them alone they just run up to you and explode. The damage is so high that if one blows up next to you you're just dead. Also the explosion attracts fast zombies. Basically everything about them is completely unfun.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I like to collect followers in Skyrim, using one of those "andvanced AI/follower" mods. But I hate actually taking them with me into combat.

So I usually wind up building a hearthfire house, then filling it with followers, who I then make into my own personal little party house of NPCs. Then I go build another hearthfire house, and aquire a new set of followers to bind to the house. Rinse and repeat for all homes and steadings in the game. Then everytime I return home from adventuring, no matter which home it is, it's a party!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

princecoo posted:

I like to collect followers in Skyrim, using one of those "andvanced AI/follower" mods. But I hate actually taking them with me into combat.

So I usually wind up building a hearthfire house, then filling it with followers, who I then make into my own personal little party house of NPCs. Then I go build another hearthfire house, and aquire a new set of followers to bind to the house. Rinse and repeat for all homes and steadings in the game. Then everytime I return home from adventuring, no matter which home it is, it's a party!

A party where no one says anything, interacts with any one else or reacts to your presence.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

LoonShia posted:

A party where no one says anything, interacts with any one else or reacts to your presence.

Electrical engineers' frathouse.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Namarrgon posted:

Good old Lambda Lambda Lambda.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire [and presumably Omega Ruby] doesn't let you save between catching Rayquaza and fighting Deoxys. Unforgivable.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You can save before Deoxys if you KO it, beat the E4 and come back to the top of Sky Pillar I think.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Namarrgon posted:

They never grow out of this phase

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pro tip: if your game is 99.9999% scrolling text, run that poo poo through a spellchecker. Better yet, have a few testers actually play the game. I'm like two chapters into Dangan Ronpa 2 and already there has been a line of text that ran way off screen out the side of the window, a word sliced into two separate lines by some parser run awry, and a misspelling that would have been caught and corrected in ten seconds if they'd bothered to spell check.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

LoonShia posted:

Actually, with the mod I use, they do. Not necissarily perfectly, but they don't just stand around doing or saying nothing.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

FF14: Melee and moving mobs, particularly during fates and especially for boss fates. Imagine you're a melee class and want to repeatedly hit this boss until he stops moving and you get a bunch of experience. Now imagine some chode who the boss targets decides to constantly run circles, you have a really good chance at never hitting the loving boss as he is moving. At best the boss may stop do some charge up attack. And the best part is usually this is an archer or a bard who can move and attack at the same time so he is constantly adding more hate to himself bu constantly damaging it.

Not that this is only an issue with boss fates, even in fates where its just "kill a bunch of enemies" and there SHOULD be enough mobs spread out for everyone, one guy pulls every loving mob and goes "Oh poo poo, I will die!" and runs off and resets the god drat fight

Not even going to lie, I loving love doing that as archer/bard. It's just so satisfying seeing all these melee dps getting angry and run after the boss even if I'm running in the same circular pattern for 10 minutes straight. They'll still be there till the end of the fate, raging silently among themselves as I bunny hop in a loop.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Getting stunned in Monster Hunter 4. Sure do love leaping through the air with my insect lance and then landing to find it suddenly properly put away and me stunned.

Now I have to waste time and probably miss a hit or two because a poison spitting dragon is now trying to eat me.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The RNG aspects of Darkest Dungeon are pissing me off, I never feel I'm in control, if I do well the game is letting me via my attacks connecting and my heroes not going insane, but when I do badly its all things beyond my control, get ambushed in battle, random crits against my best guys causing stress levels to get out of hand, enemies constantly dodging, its retarded.

Never mind the non dungeon aspects I can't control like my highwayman going missing, my crusader refusing to stop meditating for an extra week and the stock of heroes having terrible quirks like -5ACC.

The atmosphere is top notch at least, probably the only thing nice thing I can say about the game at this point.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

princecoo posted:

Actually, with the mod I use, they do. Not necissarily perfectly, but they don't just stand around doing or saying nothing.

Oh man, a whole game being followed around by Elder Scrolls dialogue. :v:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Last night I broke my weapons and armor again in Skyrim, it took like an hour of just cheesing console commands to spawn items and for what? I have 40000 for my armor and my damage. I one shot everything and as long as I don't get zapped by lightning I'm invincible. I could literally turn on god mode and get the same result. After 5 minutes of killing poo poo almost instantaneously, I've decided I'm going to un-break at least my weapons, and probably most of my armor. 40000 damage per hit is messed up.

This is with smithing and enchanting potions + %5500, so it's just a matter of making some potions like smithing/enchanting +%200 or whatever.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Alteisen posted:

The RNG aspects of Darkest Dungeon are pissing me off, I never feel I'm in control, if I do well the game is letting me via my attacks connecting and my heroes not going insane, but when I do badly its all things beyond my control, get ambushed in battle, random crits against my best guys causing stress levels to get out of hand, enemies constantly dodging, its retarded.

Never mind the non dungeon aspects I can't control like my highwayman going missing, my crusader refusing to stop meditating for an extra week and the stock of heroes having terrible quirks like -5ACC.

The atmosphere is top notch at least, probably the only thing nice thing I can say about the game at this point.

Some advice that I got from the thread for DD is to not treat your heroes like people; they are exploitable assets to be expended in the name of reclaiming the manor. The game doesn't expect you to be able to keep everyone alive and sane until the end of the game. Even thinking of them that way I still run into Hyperpotion Syndrome and want to hoard everything/everybody, but it's just not how the game is designed. It's still early access, too, so I'd expect some of your complaints to be patched up before final release.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

princecoo posted:

What's the mod?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chard posted:

Some advice that I got from the thread for DD is to not treat your heroes like people; they are exploitable assets to be expended in the name of reclaiming the manor. The game doesn't expect you to be able to keep everyone alive and sane until the end of the game. Even thinking of them that way I still run into Hyperpotion Syndrome and want to hoard everything/everybody, but it's just not how the game is designed. It's still early access, too, so I'd expect some of your complaints to be patched up before final release.

I get that but its frustrating to still have like 3 rooms left and everyone's crazy/dying.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Len posted:

Getting stunned in Monster Hunter 4. Sure do love leaping through the air with my insect lance and then landing to find it suddenly properly put away and me stunned.

Now I have to waste time and probably miss a hit or two because a poison spitting dragon is now trying to eat me.

Get an armor with Negate stun. The best way to play monster hunter is to find the one mechanic dragging it down for you, and making armor/decorations with skills that cancel out that one dumb thing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tengames posted:

Get an armor with Negate stun. The best way to play monster hunter is to find the one mechanic dragging it down for you, and making armor/decorations with skills that cancel out that one dumb thing

But that's a crazy amount if work when the game could just make sense and leave my weapon out. That way I can get right back to acrobatics and farming for another poison sac.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I get that but its frustrating to still have like 3 rooms left and everyone's crazy/dying.

Your parties are probably imbalanced then. If you're having stress issues you should try bringing along a crusader with stress heal to the ruins, or a jester to pop stress heals. If it's a longer dungeon make sure there are some stress reducing camping skills you can use.

Oooor...You upgrade the stage coach to max asap so you can bring burner parties with nothing but 5 torches into each short dungeon on your off weeks when everyone's boozing it up to destress and see how far they make it. There's a lot of trinkets and negative quirks that work well with low torchlight.

edit- I will say the way they lock out the lower leveled runs once you start getting later into the weeks is pissing me off though. Now I can't do burner teams like I used to.

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Feb 24, 2015

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

im pooping! posted:

Last night I broke my weapons and armor again in Skyrim, it took like an hour of just cheesing console commands to spawn items and for what? I have 40000 for my armor and my damage. I one shot everything and as long as I don't get zapped by lightning I'm invincible. I could literally turn on god mode and get the same result. After 5 minutes of killing poo poo almost instantaneously, I've decided I'm going to un-break at least my weapons, and probably most of my armor. 40000 damage per hit is messed up.

This is with smithing and enchanting potions + %5500, so it's just a matter of making some potions like smithing/enchanting +%200 or whatever.
Wait, are you complaining that you cheated and it made the game too easy?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Stuntman posted:

That a little different from the average "I sat there and crafted broken gear. Skyrim is too easy." complaint.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Stuntman posted:

I certainly am and luckily I have the knowledge to fix it so it's easy but not way too easy. I could easily put the game on easy difficulty and get a similar result and Elder Scrolls isn't known for punishing difficulty, but come on man those draugr death overlords deserve a chance at least.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
In Sleeping Dogs you have missions, and those missions have checkpoints. This is good. However, there are spots on the map where you have to do drug busts, which usually involves fighting a gang of thugs. If you die in these fights, which are usually much harder than fights in missions, instead of being able to quickly and easily restart, you instead go to a hospital and lose a lot of cash. So of course you're going to reload, but then you have to go through the process of getting to the spot again, and pick up the extra boosts from vendors along the way. So what should happen instantly, takes a couple minutes. It's a huge pain in the rear end.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Len posted:

But that's a crazy amount if work when the game could just make sense and leave my weapon out. That way I can get right back to acrobatics and farming for another poison sac.

By stunning do you mean when you can't move with stars over your head? Doesn't that only happen when you get repeatedly hit in a row (except for the puffer fish monster), or did that change after monster hunter tri?

Alteisen posted:

I was interested in darkest dungeon right from the first time I saw its art style but I'm pretty sure I'll never get it because the gameplay looks like nothing but an elaborate simulation of sitting alone in a corner, repeatedly rolling dice as you wonder what went wrong with your life. The best response I got to "this game looks like nothing but RNG" was just "you can sort of control the percentages, sometimes, maybe?"

I really wish the gameplay was completely different because the art looks incredible.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
This isn't the games fault, but I really like to play Rogue Legacy and Spelunky on PS4. The only problem? I'm terrible at them. The level design and the platforming aspects are perfect but i'm just not very good. It took me about 2 months of playing Spelunky to even get to the forest part or wherever and I can never get in more than a few rooms on Rogue Legacy. I just hate that the games are fun to play and everything but im just terrible at them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Your parties are probably imbalanced then. If you're having stress issues you should try bringing along a crusader with stress heal to the ruins, or a jester to pop stress heals. If it's a longer dungeon make sure there are some stress reducing camping skills you can use.

Oooor...You upgrade the stage coach to max asap so you can bring burner parties with nothing but 5 torches into each short dungeon on your off weeks when everyone's boozing it up to destress and see how far they make it. There's a lot of trinkets and negative quirks that work well with low torchlight.

edit- I will say the way they lock out the lower leveled runs once you start getting later into the weeks is pissing me off though. Now I can't do burner teams like I used to.

I try to roll balanced always, 2 frontliners like a crusader and hellion and the back is usually buff/debuffers./healers.

I'm feeling the game might be one of those near impossible at start and gets gradually easier as you progress.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

I'm glad it puts away your weapon since you often have to panic dive immediately after the stun wears off.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I try to roll balanced always, 2 frontliners like a crusader and hellion and the back is usually buff/debuffers./healers.

I'm feeling the game might be one of those near impossible at start and gets gradually easier as you progress.

Yeah, the first 5 weeks are the most important. You basically create a whole lot of burner parties and upgrade the stagecoach above everything else. Then you start unlocking skills on the burners you get so the healers can actually heal. If you do it in any other order you basically are destined to fail and spend the rest of that save file trying to run through the dungeons with a party infected with syphilis and 3 torches.

I had to restart 3-4 times because there's really no other way to do it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm glad it puts away your weapon since you often have to panic dive immediately after the stun wears off.

Makes no sense. "Oh poo poo I got stunned while jumping over a monster because of it's flashbang that was behind me? Better put this weapon away properly."

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

Makes no sense. "Oh poo poo I got stunned while jumping over a monster because of it's flashbang that was behind me? Better put this weapon away properly."

Well it doesn't make sense that you can cook meat to well done in a few seconds either. It works better than an accurate portrayal from a gameplay perspective though. Monster Hunter isn't the best series for verisimilitude.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Len posted:

your character dropped the weapon when stunned, and ythen fell on top of it , putting it back in its sheathed position. Immersion maintained.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Len posted:

Dude, just learn not to jump over a monster while it's doing its charge up for a flashbang thing.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This isn't the games fault, but I really like to play Rogue Legacy and Spelunky on PS4. The only problem? I'm terrible at them. The level design and the platforming aspects are perfect but i'm just not very good. It took me about 2 months of playing Spelunky to even get to the forest part or wherever and I can never get in more than a few rooms on Rogue Legacy. I just hate that the games are fun to play and everything but im just terrible at them.

I don't think the platforming in rogue legacy is all that good but maybe that's just me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
My big beef with Spelunky is how things can go so bad so quickly. A single small mistake can get you bumped into spikes, or tossed into a pit of enemies, or otherwise get you instantly killed no matter how well you were doing and I just find it frustrating. The core gameplay is really good but it feels like if the stars don't completely align you're just going to get instantly pasted by something and all of the items, gold and hearts you've found doesn't help for anything. It's not like Binding of Isaac or DoomRL or something where you can actually start off strong and then build up some momentum to get you through some tough spots, because there are so many ways to take massive damage or die instantly.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Just a tip to To The Moon, if you want to tell a serious emotional story about life and death maybe don't frame it with two bumbling assholes who keep spouting Street Fighter and Dr. Who references every five minutes. It's like they watched Eternal Sunshine For The Spotless Mind and thought that Elijah Wood's creepy panty-sniffing nerdlinger should be the protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Master Twig posted:

In Sleeping Dogs you have missions, and those missions have checkpoints. This is good. However, there are spots on the map where you have to do drug busts, which usually involves fighting a gang of thugs. If you die in these fights, which are usually much harder than fights in missions, instead of being able to quickly and easily restart, you instead go to a hospital and lose a lot of cash. So of course you're going to reload, but then you have to go through the process of getting to the spot again, and pick up the extra boosts from vendors along the way. So what should happen instantly, takes a couple minutes. It's a huge pain in the rear end.

Counter point: You're dying in a game where the entire combat boils down to hitting the counter attack button, which basically makes you an immortal murder master.

So Gundam Breaker 2 is a rad game. It's got one huge problem though, you constantly need more money. The easiest way to farm money is an easy, but super boring mission. Most missions in the game are easy and varying degrees of fun. But they usually give out poo poo for cash. It just gets so repetitive doing the same mission over and over and over so I can afford to jazz up my latest robot.