Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kanos posted:

Alpha 3 has a bit of a scale issue where it's a galactic-level conflict culminating in a giant battle against the living personification of entropy, so that's sort of hard to top. It feels like a natural conclusion so that's probably why they've been putting it off for so long.

Alpha 3's problem is randomly going back to Earth in the final 10 stages because Gundam SEED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Maybe they'll just finish OG with Alpha 3 and then boot a new OG setting based on all the DS games and the next couple console releases from Z to whatever?

What I liked about OG1 is that it actually felt like a single setting. Everyone's backstories were folded into either the Fed or DC, and there were a few specific initiatives going on that tied into one epic (DC vs first contact, TKs, launching the Space Noahs). That's why your forces were a bunch of PTs, some fancy heavies from Tesla, and a couple of odd birds like Cybuster and generally anything related to a Zoldark. Kyosuke has to pilot the fuckin' Wildraubtier for a bit and Elzam's first outing is in a Gespenst. Sorry, an unarmed Gespenst.

So naturally, weird units are actually weird. Tenzan in a Lion tricked out with nothing but some extra missiles and the System is scary. The SRX was imposing and the Granzon was terrifying. The Cybuster's glitter sparkles mean something and that actually extends all the way out to the Angelg's introduction at the start of OG2.

By OG2 it was back to regular SRW "some things happening, simultaneously" territory, which coincides with everyone and their dog getting a unique magical space robot with a never-before-seen physics-defying reactor core and they were just casually in your garage barring the obligation to feature units like RyuJinKi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

you think the series will continue after they finish the Alpha 3 plot?

If they have the budget for it sure. They've got alternate dimensions and other godlike beings to deal with. Even if they finish Alpha 3 they've got Z's insane cosmic metaverse bullshit sitting to strip-mine.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

If they have the budget for it sure. They've got alternate dimensions and other godlike beings to deal with. Even if they finish Alpha 3 they've got Z's insane cosmic metaverse bullshit sitting to strip-mine.

It'd take a lot of twisting of Z's plot (Z1 specifically was highly setting-bound and crossover-related) but all the Cycle bullshit would absolutely work with OG's whole metanarrative "this has all happened before, in Alpha" thing and Z comes with its own abstract multi-universe shenanigans.

My problem is that with two galactic empires already in OG, I'm not sure where there's room for Sidereal.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Yeah that's another reason I liked OG1, it had a much smaller cast than subsequent games so the characters were fleshed out a lot better thanks to the extra screen time. To this day, Excellen is my favorite character in the series mostly because her getting under the skin of enemy pilots in the middle of combat and causing them to lose their poo poo was hilarious. Even in OG2 where she's the co-protagonist, it felt like she didn't get the development she got in OG1, and she's barely present in MDs plot/script.

I'd love to see that sort of focus return to the series, but I'm guessing that Banpresto is more in the "bigger is better" camp.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silvergun1000 posted:

Yeah that's another reason I liked OG1, it had a much smaller cast than subsequent games so the characters were fleshed out a lot better thanks to the extra screen time. To this day, Excellen is my favorite character in the series mostly because her getting under the skin of enemy pilots in the middle of combat and causing them to lose their poo poo was hilarious. Even in OG2 where she's the co-protagonist, it felt like she didn't get the development she got in OG1, and she's barely present in MDs plot/script.

I'd love to see that sort of focus return to the series, but I'm guessing that Banpresto is more in the "bigger is better" camp.

To be fair it's pretty understandable why Excellen wouldn't be overly present in MD. :smith:

Caphi posted:

It'd take a lot of twisting of Z's plot (Z1 specifically was highly setting-bound and crossover-related) but all the Cycle bullshit would absolutely work with OG's whole metanarrative "this has all happened before, in Alpha" thing and Z comes with its own abstract multi-universe shenanigans.

My problem is that with two galactic empires already in OG, I'm not sure where there's room for Sidereal.

Yeah, but honestly you're going to run into weird issues with a lot of potential OG villains without serious rewriting I think, aside from the just-an-alternate-dimension-rear end in a top hat ones.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but honestly you're going to run into weird issues with a lot of potential OG villains without serious rewriting I think, aside from the just-an-alternate-dimension-rear end in a top hat ones.

I think they can just jam Chronos in there (OG hasn't really had a lot of space opposition but whatever), and there's no reason they can't have Edel just be an up and coming politician instead of Basically Created Our Civilization.

Oh wait gently caress they can't have The and Elgan there at the same time.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair it's pretty understandable why Excellen wouldn't be overly present in MD. :smith:

Doh, I'd completely forgotten about that. Yeah, :smith: indeed.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

ImpAtom posted:

Silvergun1000 posted:

Doh, I'd completely forgotten about that. Yeah, :smith: indeed.

Not really, Terada himself said that Mizutani had already done all her recording for the game way before she passed.

And if Banjou's any indication, losing the VA doesn't really mean you NEED to lose impact on a given story.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Brunom1 posted:

And if Banjou's any indication, losing the VA doesn't really mean you NEED to lose impact on a given story.

Has Banjo really been that impactful these last few go rounds though, lets be honest here.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Banjo was basically a main character in z1.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You guys are making me want to replay OG1, and maybe finally finish it this time.

KoB
May 1, 2009
OG is not only a successful good seller, but they also dont have to pay out the rear end for anime/music licenses so even if they end the current story with the next game, they'll definitely do another as a reboot or something.

It would be great to shake things up and pair down the cast. Sorry Russel but I have 10 different god mechs Im not going to field 5 different Gespents and Radha's dumb guncannon.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm starting to think SRW sequels just constitutionally have a hard time working. They get too bogged down in their own legacies. Z2 was okay because relatively little of it was about inflating the Z mythos, whereas, uh, Z3.2.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Not but seriously, I never got around finishing OG1 because it gets pretty sloggish near the end with all the HP Monsters of the Aerogaters.

If I could I would just field Gespensts all the time because I love those guys.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not but seriously, I never got around finishing OG1 because it gets pretty sloggish near the end with all the HP Monsters of the Aerogaters.

If I could I would just field Gespensts all the time because I love those guys.

That's what we need, an Aggressors spinoff with Kai as the protagonist. Though I guess at this point the Aggressors have gotten hit with mech inflation as badly as everybody else had.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Silvergun1000 posted:

That's what we need, an Aggressors spinoff with Kai as the protagonist. Though I guess at this point the Aggressors have gotten hit with mech inflation as badly as everybody else had.

Not as much, really. Kai and Gilliam are piloting Gespents that have been upgraded to keep them useful. Sanger and Ratsel pilot Double Gs, which were made by Zoldark, who already had some crazy supers back in OG1. So the original Aggressors aren't as inflated as you might think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wouldn't be surprisedi f they slip the V originals into the next game just because they're so lowkey that they'd be really easy to work in.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Inferno-sama posted:

Not as much, really. Kai and Gilliam are piloting Gespents that have been upgraded to keep them useful. Sanger and Ratsel pilot Double Gs, which were made by Zoldark, who already had some crazy supers back in OG1. So the original Aggressors aren't as inflated as you might think.

I mean like the current roster with Lamia, Latooni and whatnot. However I like your idea even better, the old team gets back together to totally ruin somebody's day!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I wouldn't be surprisedi f they slip the V originals into the next game just because they're so lowkey that they'd be really easy to work in.

I'm wondering if we'd see the Grungust and Huckebein pilots at least.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Silvergun1000 posted:

I mean like the current roster with Lamia, Latooni and whatnot. However I like your idea even better, the old team gets back together to totally ruin somebody's day!

You got a point there, more so for the 2nd OG guys.
The Wild Wurger and the Wild Falken aren't top of the line anymore, and they were really just "Slightly different Alt Eisen and Weissritter". That's basically all they had to them.
Lamia has the Angelg and Vysaga, so you kinda have something there, but I'm taking points off since she and her robots are from an alternate universe and made by a slightly off scientist (hesitant to call Lemon mad, since she ultimately wants Lamia to be human, even if they're on opposite sides).
Latooni has an upgraded Wildraubtier and her Fairlion. I'll give you the Fairlion, but not the Wildraubtier.
Josh and Chris have their special tech reals and Forte Gigas, so you get the full thing with them. Glacias has her magic mech, so again, you got that.
Hugo and Aqua, same thing. Special tech Garmraid Blaze and Cerberus Ignite (kinda wish we had the Garberus as well, as like a two-in-one option, but whatever).

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I see no reason why they couldn't just make more original plot and characters just for the next game. Sure the Lamilace were lame as hell but there is no reason why every new enemy faction would be bad. I liked Masoukishin's Yotenai and her group of Bleach rejects till they were unceremoniously killed off 2/3rds through the game.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Kyosuke and Excellen piloting custom Gespensts has always made me wonder if they were "plants" for OG.

Caphi posted:

By OG2 it was back to regular SRW "some things happening, simultaneously" territory, which coincides with everyone and their dog getting a unique magical space robot with a never-before-seen physics-defying reactor core and they were just casually in your garage barring the obligation to feature units like RyuJinKi.

Things that have been reactor cores in OG: Plasma, Nuclear Pulses, Black Holes, Anti-Matter, a stupidly radioactive meteor, Alchemy, Chinese Alchemy, a dead... whatever the Einst are, an alive whatever the Einst are, the flow of time, a 5th fundamental force of physics, background energy produced by organic things, Dimensional Energy, and "Unknown". The Res Arcana units are black boxes.

Not included is the Soulsaber, because I don't know what powers it. As far as I know, all OG units yet to be included either have normal reactors or literally magic crystal hearts. Oh, and the Dis Astranagant, which I think runs on Death?

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 26, 2017

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
poo poo, I suppose the Valzacard doesn't actually have any fancy power source, just bullshit deep-future tech (or would it be bullshit ancient tech on technicality?) and two other robots duct-taped to an already combining battleship.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

HitTheTargets posted:

Not included is the Soulsaber, because I don't know what powers it. As far as I know, all OG units yet to be included either have normal reactors or literally magic crystal hearts. Oh, and the Dis Astranagant, which I think runs on Death?

Are you counting Spheres as magic? Because I'm pretty sure they draw from the fundamental positive energy of the universe that drives life, or some dumb poo poo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HitTheTargets posted:

Things that have been reactor cores in OG: [...] background energy produced by organic things,

For the record, psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich, who invented Orgone and the science of Orgonomy, lived and worked at his home, the Orgonon, and you can read all about his exciting discoveries in his book, The Function of the Orgasm.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Silvergun1000 posted:

Honestly, I'd be ok with them reeling the scale of things back a bit. OG1 is probably my favorite SRW because the conflict in that game is a lot more realistic (well, you know, mecha anime realistic) in scale. I mean sure, the later games do lots of cool stuff and the more fantastic units are great, but I really liked how in OG1 the 'special' units (like Cybuster, Alt/Weissritter, pretty much all the supers) really felt like superweapons.

I mean in OG1, when you combined SRX you basically knew poo poo had gotten real, while in MD, I can't remember if I even really used it.

I used the SRX constantly in MD, I basically never fileded the R-seires separated though.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

For the record, psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich, who invented Orgone and the science of Orgonomy, lived and worked at his home, the Orgonon, and you can read all about his exciting discoveries in his book, The Function of the Orgasm.

To add to this, Orgone energy was taken semi seriously a hundred years ago. Reich even got Einstein to try out some of his experiments.

Too bad real life Orgone Accumulators don't grow magic green crystals.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Caphi posted:

Are you counting Spheres as magic? Because I'm pretty sure they draw from the fundamental positive energy of the universe that drives life, or some dumb poo poo.

Hella magic.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Everything about anime robots is basically magic other than the gasoline engines that Xabungle units run on.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 27, 2017

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
That they run on gasoline is pretty magic in of itself though to be fair, even if it is a comedy.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah, everybody knows real trucker robots would run on diesel.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, Nasu Kinoko of the Fate series and Terada had an interview that turned out to be revealing about SRW's development. It's fun to see anime robot fans talk to Terada.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, Nasu Kinoko of the Fate series and Terada had an interview that turned out to be revealing about SRW's development. It's fun to see anime robot fans talk to Terada.

I want Masaki and Shu to be added to FGO.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Anything interesting? google translate isnt coherent enough.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KoB posted:

Anything interesting? google translate isnt coherent enough.
Yeah, since its about robot anime I guess it wouldn't be. Terada talks about how he wants to keep characters who died in their animes alive as much as possible, and the difficulty of making an original final boss that feels threatening but doesn't impinge on the anime bosses, and stuff like that. Also of course the difficulty of working with source material that isn't his, and saying "well in Fate you kind of have that problem too but I doubt as many people are gonna be angry that Thomas Edison has a lion head".

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've not seen any of these Fate shows but a lion seems like an awfully noble head for a guy as shifty and questionable as Thomas Edison.

Perhaps a vulture would have been the more appropriate animal.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

I've not seen any of these Fate shows but a lion seems like an awfully noble head for a guy as shifty and questionable as Thomas Edison.

It's true, and that's a point they didn't go into since this is about SRW and not Fate. In a game where you collect historical figures, and there are more and more of them in Japan all the time, just how far can they go in turning them into anime catgirls or whatever before someone complains?

I don't like Fate itself for various reasons but I love that concept and I wish the West would get in on it more.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Raxivace posted:

A vulture would've waited for that elephant to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

...So, finally got around to finishing off IBO Season 2... Yeah, looking forward to SRW working on that.

• Locked thread