Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

GaussianCopula posted:

I'd argue that Euron will be just fine in the book when there is no 20 year pause between reading AFFC and Winds of Winter.

In the show he doesn't come across as dangerous at all. He does what he says and is pretty good at it. Sure, he wants to rule, but everyone wants to rule. If they want him to come across as Ramsay level evil he needs to rape Yara, which they can't do because they went to that well to often already.

GaussianCopula posted:

I'd argue that Euron will be just fine in the book when there is no 20 year pause between reading AFFC and Winds of Winter.

In the show he doesn't come across as dangerous at all. He does what he says and is pretty good at it. Sure, he wants to rule, but everyone wants to rule. If they want him to come across as Ramsay level evil he needs to rape Yara, which they can't do because they went to that well to often already.
Just to maintain my own sanity when reading these transpositions: Euron in the show is Victarian in the books (mostly).

Euron in the books is a nothing character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

wooger posted:

Just to maintain my own sanity when reading these transpositions: Euron in the show is Victarian in the books (mostly).

Euron in the books is a nothing character.

Euron in the books is like Yara before AFFC or Brienne in ACOK- a character that is only introduced but has not yet gotten to the main phase of his arc.

esperterra posted:

As if they won't do a lower budget spinoff, so the only magic they need to pay for is the poo poo that doesn't involve CGI wolves or dragons or skellingtons.

But I want a spinoff set in Asshai by the shadow ...

Nah. You need tits dragons but replacing the main cast will go a long way making the show cheaper - HBO is currently paying Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington 1.1m per episode for their acting talent (also Dinklage, Coster-Waldau and Headey but they at least can actually act).

My guess is that their concept for spin-offs will be shorter self-contained stories that continue to uphold the production value but have more of a revolving cast of characters. The Dance of Dragons would be a good starting point, simply because it has most of the elements of the show (intrigue, dragons, war) and is not as spoiled as the Conquest or Roberts Rebellion, where even show only people know the outcome already.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm not a book reader so i didn't know this but arthur dayne was supposed to have a badass greatsword and not that dual wielding bullshit? lmao. what a show.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Made from a fallen star

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Being a colossal goonlord, I recently read a WH40k book. Even in that the main character calls out dual-wielding as something that's only done by nerds desperately trying to look cool.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's one of those changes that truly boggle the mind. You had a chance to put a very tragic, heroic character on screen and what they did was abandon his whole premise for some Star Wars prequel style light saber sword choreography.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also howland reed was supposed to be a swamp hillbilly with a frog poisoned spear and they make him just a generic dude with a knife???

this sword looks badass as hell why are these guys such hack frauds.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

They must be of the night.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bloom posted:

Being a colossal goonlord, I recently read a WH40k book. Even in that the main character calls out dual-wielding as something that's only done by nerds desperately trying to look cool.

I've read that many times but didn't the real life Myamoto Musashi developed a whole style of dual wielding? Or is it something made up by the book?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Elias_Maluco posted:

I've read that many times but didn't the real life Myamoto Musashi developed a whole style of dual wielding? Or is it something made up by the book?

Musashi did it, or claimed to do it, and it was also common in European martial arts at one point to use a rapier in right hand and main-gauche in the left. It is mostly overblown Hollywoodism though.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

WINTER'S LONGER THAN YOU THINK DAD. LONGER THAN YOU THINK.

is there a reason The Jaunt is coming up more than usual suddenly, or is it just something I'm noticing because I'm in a goon bubble?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Because it's a fun short story.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

probably due to the mist series and dark tower coming out. also because it might be his most effective story.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arthur D didn't have a shield with him and he was outnumbered 3 to 1 so using two swords makes sense in that context, especially for someone superbly skilled.

All that twirling his swords makes sense in that he was fighting three guys at once. He was trying to distract and confuse them so they wouldn't all attack at once.

He also put his helmet on before the fight so right there he's one of the best fighters on screen.

It's one of the better fights on the show although the Dane does stab through plate armor in a couple of shots.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Arglebargle III posted:

Arthur D didn't have a shield with him and he was outnumbered 3 to 1 so using two swords makes sense in that context, especially for someone superbly skilled.

All that twirling his swords makes sense in that he was fighting three guys at once. He was trying to distract and confuse them so they wouldn't all attack at once.

He also put his helmet on before the fight so right there he's one of the best fighters on screen.

It's one of the better fights on the show although the Dane does stab through plate armor in a couple of shots.

But why does a Knight of the King's Guard not own a shield but two longswords and carry them with them all the time? Not to mention the fact that he for no reason at all sticks his weapon into the sandy ground which is super stupid, because it blunt's the tip.

But hey, they gave us the "dawn" symbol as a super cool easter egg for book readers right guys? That was super sweet.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
and why is benjen on a horse?????????

there's a million issues like this, who gives a poo poo about dayne

this show's pinnacle moment- the wall coming down - is due solely to a dragon being brought north of the wall. it's insanely stupid and nothing else should bother you as much as that

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe Valley rian swords are impossible to blunt.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

source your quotes.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

this show's pinnacle moment- the wall coming down - is due solely to a dragon being brought north of the wall. it's insanely stupid and nothing else should bother you as much as that

Look, S07E07 will be an episode so bad that it will be the measuring stick for badness for a long time to come. It will not only have the absurdly stupid parley where literally every character that is not involved in the worst scheming plot ever (aka Winterfell) comes together in an Colosseum, the conclusion of said worst scheming plot ever and of course the the epic boatsex wedding extravaganza followed by the fall of the wall due to a dragon that was brought there by our supposed heroes the episode before.

Extra gimmicks include a castrate beating a stronger men because of his superpower being to withstand multiple kicks between his legs which leads to Theon forming "Wicking Rescue Ranger II - electric boogaloo" (he is in luck, Euron is to much into his Hot Topic cloth and will not fight half-naked).

And the wider internet is going to celebrate it because Jaime leaves Cersei, Jon and Dany bang and the icedragon is soooo cooool.

Additionally there will be very witty posts on Vanity Fair and EW.com that tell us about the history of the name Aegon and the fact that Jaime seeing the first snowflake when he leaves Cersei being a book reference.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

This right here, the dude was a fuckin Pro

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

source your quotes.

These forums have gotten really small. :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

When Ramsey died his plot armor latched on to Euron Greyjoy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bloom posted:

Dual-wielding styles of combat absolutely existed in both Europe and Japan. They were almost never used, however.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

etalian posted:

When Ramsey died his plot armor latched on to Euron Greyjoy.

i watched a youtube video about the 5 best and worst changes from the books (by two book readers, one who's read the series twice) and they said ramsay was a good change. what.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ramsay's initial plan to take winterfell in the books is nearly incomprehensible, I can see liking the show more in season 3 or whatever that was.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ramsay's book plan is utterly random and either involves telepathy and mind control or is otherwise completely random nonsense that involves the rash idiot Ramsay throwing multiple hail Marys and playing every single card just right.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

but the rest of him is awful.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

grack posted:

Dual-wielding styles of combat absolutely existed in both Europe and Japan. They were almost never used, however.

the only realistic forms of dual wielding in CQC was a short sword and a parrying dagger

unfortunately in TV its always gotta be a dude twirling 2 longswords

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Ramsay's book plan is utterly random and either involves telepathy and mind control or is otherwise completely random nonsense that involves the rash idiot Ramsay throwing multiple hail Marys and playing every single card just right.

remind me what his book plan was

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

mastershakeman posted:

Ramsay has no plan as far as I can remember.

Roose is smarter in that he doesn't poo poo over his alliance with the Lannisters and rallies the Northern houses to fight Stannis, sending the ones whose support are more dubious into the front lines first.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

few pages back, but holy gently caress it's been DECADES since i've seen this.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GaussianCopula posted:

Nah. You need tits dragons but replacing the main cast will go a long way making the show cheaper - HBO is currently paying Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington 1.1m per episode for their acting talent (also Dinklage, Coster-Waldau and Headey but they at least can actually act).

My guess is that their concept for spin-offs will be shorter self-contained stories that continue to uphold the production value but have more of a revolving cast of characters. The Dance of Dragons would be a good starting point, simply because it has most of the elements of the show (intrigue, dragons, war) and is not as spoiled as the Conquest or Roberts Rebellion, where even show only people know the outcome already.

That's a good point, I often forget a lot of the budget bloat is paying the people who have survived since season one.

Still, I can't see them doing anything that requires a lot of CGI for any lengthy period of time. Maybe shorter run spinoffs for the more magical poo poo, with lesser known actors. Then any longer running spinoff may just focus more on the intrigue or wars of men.

But who loving knows. GoT did well enough for them, I can easily see them sinking a boatload of money again if any of these spinoffs do well.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

mastershakeman posted:

Perhaps not much of it is planned but it's still quite unlikely:
Ramsay takes lady hornwood captive and forces her to marry him, then he throws her into a locked room where she starves to death, when Ser Rodrick comes he flees with the real Reek, during the flight he kills Reek, smears himself with poo poo and dresses Reek with his own fancy clothing, Ser Rodrick and his crew all fall for this scheme and take Ramsay to Winterfell, after Theon takes winterfell Ramsay manages to wormtongue his way into being his confidant and second in command and he convinces Theon to set him free so he could ride to the dradfort and bring men to support Theon (even though as far as Theon knows he was basically a complete nobody, a manservant to Roose Bolton's disgraced bastard), then he gets back and slaughter's Rodrick's man and all the iron borne.

I mean even if it's not planned in advance Ramsay's initial action (kidnapping lady hornwood) is suicidal and pointless and clearly contrasts with the cunning of everything else he did, it also contrasts with pretty much everything he does afterwards, almost all of which is foolish, cruel and lacks any sort of restraint and planning.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Roose is still alive in the books, right? God drat its been awhile

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I finished reading the books five years ago.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

I finished reading the books five years ago.

Does Euron win everything? If not, most dissapointing book series ever.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Kromlech posted:

Yeah, last we see of him he's at the winterfell great hall being super annoyed at one of the Freys attacking Wyman Manderley and sends them and Ramsay to ride to fight Stannis in the middle of a blizzard.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im pretty sure Ramsay will end up killing Roose in the books too

Or would, if was ever another book

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kromlech posted:

Probably. He could have died offscreen, but we don't know for sure. He's leading the Freys and Manderleys to attack Stannis. If you believe the letter from Ramsay that Jon receives was actually from Ramsay, it kind of implies Roose is dead because it's signed "Ramsay Bolton, Trueborn Lord of Winterfell". On the other hand it could be Ramsay bullshitting, or someone else bullshitting that they are Ramsay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im pretty sure Ramsay will end up killing Roose in the books too

Or would, if was ever another book

Almost certainly. I just doubt he'll get away with it and become Lord Bolton like in the show. Unless he does it after Stannis crushes them on the lake or some poo poo and the house and alliances are already in more disarray than they currently are.

• Locked thread