Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

I studied early Modern Scots for a while and I was intensely happy that saying yer ma's a huir is an ancient tradition going back centuries, and has an established spelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

I think the issue I have is that Gaelic, like Welsh, is very clearly its own language with its own vocabulary, grammar, etc. Scots, on the other hand, follows the general rules of English with variations of spelling and a few unique words. I'm sure 1707 did go some way towards making 'proper' London English the 'standard', but the Lowland areas had been dominated by the Anglo-Saxons long before that, and England and Scotland as a rule had significant links as far back as the middle ages. It stands to reason they'd have spoken a variation of English, and the fact that Gaelic was pushed to the periphery as Anglo-Saxon influence expanded seems to confirm this. If Scots was a fully fledged language in its own right, it should have become less common far earlier than it did in much the same way.

Whatever the historical cicumstances, it's pretty clear that Scots and English are mutually intelligible. This clearly means they have a common root and one that isn't too far removed. I'd honestly say that common root is close enough they could be considered variations on the same language at most, and quite possibly about as distinct as any heavy accent from the English regions.

I see the relationship more like the difference between 'German' German and Austrian German, or between Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic, rather than between English and French. I guess there's an argument for them being the same language group, like Italian/Spanish/French, but even that seems to be going a bit far.

What about the Scandinavian languages though? They are mutually intelligible and come from a common source, yet they are always referred to as languages rather than dialects.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I think the issue I have is that Gaelic, like Welsh, is very clearly its own language with its own vocabulary, grammar, etc. Scots, on the other hand, follows the general rules of English with variations of spelling and a few unique words. I'm sure 1707 did go some way towards making 'proper' London English the 'standard', but the Lowland areas had been dominated by the Anglo-Saxons long before that, and England and Scotland as a rule had significant links as far back as the middle ages. It stands to reason they'd have spoken a variation of English, and the fact that Gaelic was pushed to the periphery as Anglo-Saxon influence expanded seems to confirm this. If Scots was a fully fledged language in its own right, it should have become less common far earlier than it did in much the same way.

Whatever the historical cicumstances, it's pretty clear that Scots and English are mutually intelligible. This clearly means they have a common root and one that isn't too far removed. I'd honestly say that common root is close enough they could be considered variations on the same language at most, and quite possibly about as distinct as any heavy accent from the English regions.

I see the relationship more like the difference between 'German' German and Austrian German, or between Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic, rather than between English and French. I guess there's an argument for them being the same language group, like Italian/Spanish/French, but even that seems to be going a bit far.

Gaelic was spoken in the lowlands until the 14th century and (I'm pretty sure) the lowlands were never "dominated" by the Anglo-Saxons as such (I think the main contention over land between England and Scotland was over Cumbria/Northumbria and that was in the 14th century, but correct me with sources if I'm wrong).

Danish and Swedish are, for the most part, mutually intelligible (they even have ingredients/instructions together on the backs of packets and stuff). That doesn't mean they are the same language. They have a distant roots, but because they have a shared history, they've had similar influences upon the language. Why are Swedish and Danish distinct languages, but after the Treaty of Union, Scots was no longer seen as one by the typical Brit, although is currently defined as a language by the Scottish, UK and European groups who deal with such definitions.

Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic are different languages. They are partially mutually intelligible, but they are distinct as languages. As far as I can find, Austrian German is officially defined as a dialect (or variety) of German.

QuantumCrayons fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 22, 2014

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah, fair enough. I guess I'd just draw the line differently and say that the Norse languages are pretty much dialects based on what you say (though I have no idea about them so god knows). Anyway it's not a particularly important issue. If you want to consider it a language that's cool but very few people would write a job application in it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, fair enough. I guess I'd just draw the line differently and say that the Norse languages are pretty much dialects based on what you say (though I have no idea about them so god knows). Anyway it's not a particularly important issue. If you want to consider it a language that's cool but very few people would write a job application in it.

Basically I think we can agree the distinction between a dialect and a language is often fuzzy and highly politicised.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

marktheando posted:

Basically I think we can agree the distinction between a dialect and a language is often fuzzy and highly politicised.

That's a fair conclusion I think

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

QuantumCrayons posted:

Danish and Swedish are, for the most part, mutually intelligible (they even have ingredients/instructions together on the backs of packets and stuff).
Relatively mutually intelligible in writing, but that's only really because Danish sticks to a pretty archaic spelling considering the rapid shift in pronunciation it went through in the last century. Spoken Danish is a completely different thing from the written form, and it makes communication with Swedes pretty difficult. Basically, we just speak English with each other.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Another example is the Serbo-Croat language. Or possibly the Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin languages, depending on who you ask.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Relatively mutually intelligible in writing, but that's only really because Danish sticks to a pretty archaic spelling considering the rapid shift in pronunciation it went through in the last century. Spoken Danish is a completely different thing from the written form, and it makes communication with Swedes pretty difficult. Basically, we just speak English with each other.

This explains why sources talk about them being so similar, but every Swede and Dane I've asked has denied it fervently.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
People who post condescending suggestions to "write properly" need to check their privilege.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

return0 posted:

People who post condescending suggestions to "write properly" need to check their privilege.

talk proper hen. ye'll no get a jobe if ye gau intae the interview speakin yon wae.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Watching the UKIP gains in local councils in England is probably enough at this point to make me vote in favour of Scottish independence.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pesmerga posted:

Watching the UKIP gains in local councils in England is probably enough at this point to make me vote in favour of Scottish independence.

Yup.

Regardless of what you're all going to say about FPTP making this irrelevant, this'll swing Britain further to the right than it was before and that'll drag Scotland with it.

Get independence and it'll only be England and Wales that burn.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Scotland will burn later when the "immergrents!" arrive.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pesmerga posted:

You're being facetious, but could this actually play a role? I am assuming UKIP is not popular in most of Scotland.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

See? This is exactly what I was saying. This man doesn't understand the difference between taxonomy and reality. If he doesn't even understand the significantly simpler conceptual foundation and purpose of biological taxonomy, how is he going to understand linguistic taxonomy?

Oh no I do, I just find you don't understand how silly your statement about taxonomy is. But maybe science is out your depth? Unless now science is "man made"?

marktheando posted:

Fluo :ughh:

You really need to stop mouthing off about things you obviously aren't very informed about. Saying poo poo like Scots is just an accent or slang or implying that people who use it are too stupid to use "proper" English is not very helpful. That's the same poo poo ruling elites say about every minority language, when the truth is that the dividing line between language and dialect has always been fuzzy. Usually the difference is simply that a language has a government backing it and a dialect does not.

All you're doing is cheerleading in this thread, maybe you should add something.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Phlegmish posted:

You're being facetious, but could this actually play a role? I am assuming UKIP is not popular in most of Scotland.

UKIP are not as unpopular in Scotland as some would claim.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Phlegmish posted:

We shall find out on Sunday with the Euro results, there were a few worrying polls showing UKIP support creeping up. Hopefully the SNP and Greens have done enough to get their vote out, as there is the potential risk of UKIP picking up the final EP seat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

We shall find out on Sunday with the Euro results, there were a few worrying polls showing UKIP support creeping up. Hopefully the SNP and Greens have done enough to get their vote out, as there is the potential risk of UKIP picking up the final EP seat.

I was going to say this. Smug complacency about how the English council election results will help the Yes movement is premature. Even if the Kippers don't get one of Scotland's MEPs, if their percentage of the Scottish vote has risen markedly then the Yes cause will not be helped. In fact it may even be harmed.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Interesting that so many unionists desperately want UKIP to do well, hatred of the SNP runs deep.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fluo posted:

All you're doing is cheerleading in this thread, maybe you should add something.

I was participating in the discussion in the post you are quoting!

Jedit posted:

I was going to say this. Smug complacency about how the English council election results will help the Yes movement is premature. Even if the Kippers don't get one of Scotland's MEPs, if their percentage of the Scottish vote has risen markedly then the Yes cause will not be helped. In fact it may even be harmed.

That's a fair point. And if UKIP look certain to split the tory vote and put Labour in power in 2015 I can see that being bad for the Yes campaign. Independence does seem much more attractive with the tories in power.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Jedit posted:

Complacency is generally bad, yes. We learned this through watching Westminster's approach to the No campaign.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Can't be that bad as most people intend to vote No?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If the SNP (or at a push the Greens) increase support in the Euro elections, the Yes campaign will portray it as vindication of support for independence, while the No campaign will write it off as irrelevant because the election is not about independence.

If UKIP increase support the No campaign will portray it as vindication of the support for the union, while the Yes campaign will write it off as irrelevant because the election is not about independence.

These are my predictions for Monday's newspapers.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Can't be that bad as most people intend to vote No?

They managed to piss away a lot of the lead they had before.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

It's only 'pissing away' if you believe the Yes campaign to be entirely unpersuasive and ineffective.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

It's only 'pissing away' if you believe the Yes campaign to be entirely unpersuasive and ineffective.

You don't think the No campaign has performed badly?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

You don't think the No campaign has performed badly?

You're suggesting the only reason somebody might decide to vote Yes is because of how ineffective the No campaign is, rather than being persuaded by Yes.

It must be worrying for Yes if a badly performing No is able to maintain and even increase its lead in the polls.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

You're suggesting the only reason somebody might decide to vote Yes is because of how ineffective the No campaign is, rather than being persuaded by Yes.

It must be worrying for Yes if a badly performing No is able to maintain and even increase its lead in the polls.

I'm not suggesting that at all, not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

I'm not suggesting that at all, not sure how you came to that conclusion.

marktheando posted:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah still not seeing it. The No campaign pissing away their lead doesn't preclude the Yes campaign making gains from persuading people.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Maybe this is a language thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alertrelic posted:

Interesting that so many unionists desperately want UKIP to do well, hatred of the SNP runs deep.

Something I never said or even implied at any point. Take your blatant ad hominem and gently caress yourself with it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe this is a language thing.

That's one possible explanation.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

marktheando posted:

marktheando posted:

You are out of your depth here Fluo.

:ironicat:

In other news SNP uses majority to stifle criticism of Alex Salmond's EU membership stance.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

marktheando posted:

You used the term 'pissed away' which suggests the drop in lead is the No campaign's fault, not that the Yes campaign improved. I'm sure you realise it's probably a little of both.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

You used the term 'pissed away' which suggests the drop in lead is the No campaign's fault, not that the Yes campaign improved. I'm sure you realise it's probably a little of both.

Yes it is both, as I said-

marktheando posted:

Yeah still not seeing it. The No campaign pissing away their lead doesn't preclude the Yes campaign making gains from persuading people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That's loaded phraseology. The SNP used their majority to add things that were left out. Whether they were trying to skew the report or unskew it is ambiguous unless you have the two versions to compare and know what the differences mean.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Jedit posted:

Something I never said or even implied at any point. Take your blatant ad hominem and gently caress yourself with it.

Oh please. Plenty of tunnel-visioned unionists at this stage would love to see 1 UKIP/2 SNP rather than 3 SNP. I just thought this was worth pointing out, or have we moved on from snide one-liners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

On the other hand you have a poll released just recently that suggests that as many as 1/5th of potential No voters would seriously consider voting Yes in September if UKIP top the UK Euro election polls. So it could be positive for Yes. It might not be. Lets actually see what happens to polls after the results come out on Sunday night/Monday morning.

• Locked thread