Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Mazda got rid of the best Miata color apparently, ceramic. It was a really light gray mica. Looked awesome on the RF with the Brembo package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Minto Took posted:

It was this one. He reshot the introduction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se5LVsiTfvo

During the first edit of the burger skit, he told his partner to "get back in the kitchen."

He realised it was problematic and edited out..?

Edit : Just clarifying as I dont particularly see much of an issue with what is there now

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 14, 2020

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

He realised it was problematic and edited out..?

It's more he ever thought it was a good idea to begin with. That and when he crushed his control arms installing Ohlins coil overs because he didn't read the instructions were enough for me.

In the spirit of moving on, I think we can indeed all agree that the 2021 S Class is uggo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Minto Took posted:

In the spirit of moving on, I think we can indeed all agree that the 2021 S Class is uggo.

But think of that interior after 15 years

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

WTF, seriously?!?!? We get a Torsen LSD for manual WRX's.

https://www.subaru.com.au/wrx-and-wrx-sti/specs

(Chassis and Mechanism for the proof)

Yup, went away for the 3rd generation. Only the STI has it now (and I think there was a period of time where even the STI didn't have it.)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

KakerMix posted:

But think of that interior after 15 years

:itwaspoo:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Q_res posted:

Mazda got rid of the best Miata color apparently, ceramic. It was a really light gray mica. Looked awesome on the RF with the Brembo package.

The RF in the limited 'racing orange' looks fantastic too. Pity the only options now are the same as any other Mazda - I like soul red but there are so many about it's not special for an MX-5

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Mazda also make some fantastic blues.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Soul Red looks spectacular in bright sunlight through polarized shades, it's one of my favourite paint colors from any manufacturer.

Mazda does good colours in general, it'd be cool if they offered more blues and greens tho

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Minto Took posted:

It's more he ever thought it was a good idea to begin with. That and when he crushed his control arms installing Ohlins coil overs because he didn't read the instructions were enough for me.

Well to be fair almost all of us here if you went back into post history have some.... uhh..... really off comments if you go back a decade that are embarrassing and regretful to say the least. Also to be fair most of us have decided instructions are for wimps and gone hell for leather..... and made expensive mistakes.

Its not like other Yoooootooobers havent done questionable poo poo in the past and later wised up so I'm okay with people realising they goofed. If he keeps beign a douche canoe.. well thats a problem.

bull3964 posted:

Yup, went away for the 3rd generation. Only the STI has it now (and I think there was a period of time where even the STI didn't have it.)

Just the absolute dumbest decision, especially when the drat things have LSD's in other markets.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

TheGoatTrick posted:

Just wrap ittm

That's pretty good looking.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Mk8 GTI, the successor to one of AI's most popular cars, had its US press launch today. Some interesting details from the launch:
  • The Mk8 GTI will launch in MY2022, with the Mk7 as a lame duck for MY2021.
  • Heated steering wheel will be standard on the Mk8, which will delight the people who live in a frozen hellscape.
  • The Mk8 was 4 seconds a lap faster than the Mk7 on one of VW's race courses. The chief performance improvements are an aluminum front sub-frame, and VW's latest electronic platform which will allow for a wide range of customizability so that the driver can setup the car as they wish.
  • Mk8 GTIs sold in the US will be built in Germany, not Mexico like the Mk7s were.
  • North America makes up 45% of worldwide GTI sales.
The biggest item, pricing, was not revealed. Speculation is that the car will start around $30K. The GTI will likely be very good but personally I'd have to get leather to avoid the ugly cloth seats, and then I'd be looking at a $35-$40K car, which in the US is a tougher bracket than the one the GTI currently plays in.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Godzilla07 posted:

The Mk8 GTI, the successor to one of AI's most popular cars, had its US press launch today. Some interesting details from the launch:
  • The Mk8 GTI will launch in MY2022, with the Mk7 as a lame duck for MY2021.
  • Heated steering wheel will be standard on the Mk8, which will delight the people who live in a frozen hellscape.
  • The Mk8 was 4 seconds a lap faster than the Mk7 on one of VW's race courses. The chief performance improvements are an aluminum front sub-frame, and VW's latest electronic platform which will allow for a wide range of customizability so that the driver can setup the car as they wish.
  • Mk8 GTIs sold in the US will be built in Germany, not Mexico like the Mk7s were.
  • North America makes up 45% of worldwide GTI sales.
The biggest item, pricing, was not revealed. Speculation is that the car will start around $30K. The GTI will likely be very good but personally I'd have to get leather to avoid the ugly cloth seats, and then I'd be looking at a $35-$40K car, which in the US is a tougher bracket than the one the GTI currently plays in.

I know this new GTI will blow it away performance-wise, but the sticker for the Golf R I bought in 2013 was around a bit over $34,000 and it's wild that the GTI is now essentially there at base price. Probably. Do they still make the R? Is that now a $45k to start car?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Mk7 R is $40,395 to start according to VWs website.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Godzilla07 posted:

personally I'd have to get leather to avoid the ugly cloth seats

I'm sorry but what the gently caress?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Q_res posted:

The Mk7 R is $40,395 to start according to VWs website.

And $34,000 in 2013 is a bit over $38k today so it's not all that far off considering the equipment bump since the 2013 model year.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Godzilla07 posted:

[list]
[*]The Mk8 GTI will launch in MY2022, with the Mk7 as a lame duck for MY2021.

Next year gonna be a good time to buy a GTI.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Videos I've seen of the new GTI's touch pad control scheme have rendered it utterly dead to me.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hard to go for a GTI when there's gonna be a Gazoo Corolla.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I just test drove the 2020 CX-5 Signature and damnit it just does everything well, I have no complaints whatsoever.
Mazda is a company I would like to support as well. I'll sleep on it.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

smooth jazz posted:

I just test drove the 2020 CX-5 Signature and damnit it just does everything well, I have no complaints whatsoever.

I did enjoy the CX-5 loaner I got a few weeks ago. It was a base model and the massive sidewalls made it tremendously comfortable to drive. The NA engine, while perfectly capable in the 3, does need a smidge more power to haul around the extra weight imo...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

smooth jazz posted:

It's a drat good package now with the turbo engine and ultra-loaded Signature trim. Punches way above its price point.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Is that aiming more Civic Si or Veloster N

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

smooth jazz posted:

I did something similar a year ago. Now there is a 2019 Signature in soul red sitting out in the garage.
I recently swapped out the tires with 245s and it made an already amazing car somehow even better.

Join us!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Soul Red with black wheels and blacked badging and trim is amazing, but yeah an MX5 should come in way more bright colours.

AI > Read about a new car you like? Biweekly bitching about screens in the news thread!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

pik_d posted:

I'm sorry but what the gently caress?

Seriously, they're the most interesting part of the car

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

smooth jazz posted:

Love my '17 touring Cx5, I imagine with the turbo and upgraded interior I imagine the Signature is great.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Wheeee posted:

Is that aiming more Civic Si or Veloster N

Roughly splitting the difference, I think. More power than the Si but not an absolute performer like the N is. Probably better to think of it as a Toyota GTI.

I'm glad the Mk.8 platform is finally getting wiring for a heated steering wheel.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well to be fair almost all of us here if you went back into post history have some.... uhh..... really off comments if you go back a decade that are embarrassing and regretful to say the least. Also to be fair most of us have decided instructions are for wimps and gone hell for leather..... and made expensive mistakes.

Its not like other Yoooootooobers havent done questionable poo poo in the past and later wised up so I'm okay with people realising they goofed. If he keeps beign a douche canoe.. well thats a problem.

Yeah to poo poo on SG because he made one mistake early on that he corrected is dumb, he's the best car reviewer on youtube right now imo

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yep, a hot hatch Toyota over a hot hatch VW is a no brainer.

What VW didn't mention about the new GTI is all the recalls and TSBs that are gonna come with it

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 14, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I wonder if the digital gauges in the mk8 will be better than the mk7? I didn't care for the ones in the mk7.5 R's I drove at all. There was absolutely no depth to the design whatsoever. It's a minor thing and you'd probably get used to it, but still.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I will join Team gently caress Screens for digital gauge clusters. I have yet to use one that's decent.

I'll be curious how the Gazoo Racing Toyota interior looks. I don't love Toyota's modern interior designs, although the Corolla is better than some.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I actually really like the digital cluster in my Golf R. Not saying it couldn't be improved, but I would have a very hard time buying a car without an all glass cockpit now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I can't figure out what the advantage is. I understand having additional information on screen between gauges, but I don't really understand why I want the main gauges to be digital.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
More tech = higher status = attractive to the market today. It's like Savagegeese went through in some review. People would rather have those gadget than independent rear suspension etc.

I really like the analogue guages in my Optima. Very clear and crisp. Has a good screen in the middle for ALL of the car settings and unless the sun is straight on it, the black levels makes it look seamless with the rest of the surrounding dash.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can't figure out what the advantage is. I understand having additional information on screen between gauges, but I don't really understand why I want the main gauges to be digital.

I like that they can be reconfigured based on what kind of driving i'm doing (for example, on the highway I care less about my tach and more about how far to my next exit). It also just looks cleaner than a screen mashed between a bunch of analog needles that are just being driven by the computer anyways.

That's the thing. This implementation should be cheaper and more robust in the long run anyways. Fewer moving parts, less complex wiring due to needed to backlight individual elements. Easier assembly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What about reliability tho? Is anyone having issues with digital gauges like not working at all, halfway working, glitching etc?

I would guess they would be more prone to having issues than analog gauges but it's probably still too early to tell long term

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I actually really like the digital cluster in my Golf R. Not saying it couldn't be improved, but I would have a very hard time buying a car without an all glass cockpit now.

I thought it would be cool and I'd like it but I didn't. Just a different design to make the gauges themselves look better would go a long way. Making the fake analog gauges look more analog would have probably done it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The nav screen in my 20 year old BMW is reliable. Some pixels have died but the thing works just fine functionally. Screens are reliable and also relatively easy to replace.

Analog gauges are not really analog anyway, they are a digital sensor and sender and then they dump that data in to a controller that translates it to rotary motion, rather than just dumping it in to a digital display controller.

bull3964 posted:

I like that they can be reconfigured based on what kind of driving i'm doing (for example, on the highway I care less about my tach and more about how far to my next exit). It also just looks cleaner than a screen mashed between a bunch of analog needles that are just being driven by the computer anyways.

That's the thing. This implementation should be cheaper and more robust in the long run anyways. Fewer moving parts, less complex wiring due to needed to backlight individual elements. Easier assembly.

I feel like standard information presentation is important from a human factors perspective, and I hate the lack of depth and difficulty in viewing digital displays with peripheral vision. I agree that there's certain stuff I prefer to see in some situations, but that's what the digital center display is for.

I really hope that real physical gauges become a premium feature going forward like watches or whatever but I'm not real hopeful.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In any car with a digital speed readout, the analog speedo is completely vestigial as far as I'm concerned. All my cars have speedos that go to 180 or above, so the actual range you could use for street driving is hilariously useless.

At least the Stinger does something about this by making the space between numbers cut in half above 70, but it also displays the speed on the drat windshield so why would you ever not just use that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Ror posted:

The actual most annoying thing when looking at new Miatas seems to be that it's surprisingly hard to find the regular roadsters since the RF version came out. The RF has a neat look but I decided the normal one is still the best choice and it turns out that most dealers only have about 1 non-RF for every half dozen RFs they have, if they have any non-RF at all.

I would love if new cars came in colors too. A NOT RED color. I bring that up because you have to get an RF if you want the slightest hint of a color, but it's every manufacturer that offers 5 terrible monochrome colors now. Or maybe you can pay an extra grand for some garish racing color. Let me drive a dark green car you cowards.

On the same note, I miss interiors that weren't all (or predominantly) black. I don't want to sit in a cave all day. You can swap out carpets and seat skins, but there's only so much you can do with black plastics on the dashboard, door cards, and center consoles.

Come to think of it, and unrelated to anything else, what interior color other than black would work for a light green or lime car?