Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I use this product that's in a glass amber bottle - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOCQ0EQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've broken the bottle twice already in the past year... is there an alternative bottle that I can put it in that won't break like plastic? I'm assuming that the amber color is there so the liquid doesn't degrade? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Chop Sunni posted:

I wouldn't say it's a better way, but I use a pi zero running kodi, powered from the TV or battery. Android app called yatse to control it over wifi or the phone's hotspot.

This would work if the tablet didn't have only 8GB of memory, necessitating the SD card be used as internal storage and not being swappable to another device. I do have a B+ that I may be able to use for this though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

I use this product that's in a glass amber bottle - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOCQ0EQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've broken the bottle twice already in the past year... is there an alternative bottle that I can put it in that won't break like plastic? I'm assuming that the amber color is there so the liquid doesn't degrade? Thanks!

I'm not trying to be rude, but did you honestly not just Google "brown plastic bottle?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

millebdayskeletons posted:

put it in an opaque plastic bottle or be more careful with your eczema treatments?

bongwizzard posted:

I'm not trying to be rude, but did you honestly not just Google "brown plastic bottle?

They didn't like the answer mille give 'em, so I guess they're hoping for direct links? Idk, hit up alieexpress for some cheap opaque bottles or a local Daiso / ichiban store. Even plastic will break if you drop it. Transfer it to a small, heavy glass jar or plastic bottle and stick it in a drawer.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What’s the cheapest place to register a .co domain name?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
What's the science term for the substance in which chemical reactions take place though it itself is not (necessarily) involved? Like, in a situation where if you add Chemicals A and B to water, and Chemical A dissolves Chemical B into Chemical C:

Chemical A is the solvent
Chemical B is the solute
Chemical C is the solution

But what is the water?

E: I'm trying to make an analogy to the workplace where an organization can be the venue for transformation without being a participant in the transformation.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think catalyst is quite the right word in your chemical analogy, but may work in your organizational example. Maybe thesaurize catalyst to see what pops up?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The medium?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

The medium?

Medium, environment, or possibly spectator species?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Rabbit Hill posted:

What's the science term for the substance in which chemical reactions take place though it itself is not (necessarily) involved? Like, in a situation where if you add Chemicals A and B to water, and Chemical A dissolves Chemical B into Chemical C:

Chemical B is the solute

But what is the water?

E: I'm trying to make an analogy to the workplace where an organization can be the venue for transformation without being a participant in the transformation.

It's a vehicle. It gets you from A to B.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Chemical B is the solute

But what is the water?

Water is the solvent, A is the catalyst, B is the reagent, C is the product.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Vegetable posted:

What’s the cheapest place to register a .co domain name?

Namecheap has a pretty good deal, $7 first year and $23 after. Private Whois is free first year, $3/yr after.

https://www.namecheap.com/domains/registration/cctld/co.aspx

I have a few domains with them, they're a decent registrar

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 27, 2017

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Back in "Ye olde castle" days did people that worked in the castle get paid? Did they have to shell out for there own food/lodgings?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

504 posted:

Back in "Ye olde castle" days did people that worked in the castle get paid? Did they have to shell out for there own food/lodgings?

It depends. Someone like a secretary or seneschal would get paid, though food and lodging would be included in their salary. Someone like a stable hand would likely be a dependent, at least in the Middle Ages. As time moved on, more people were on a salary basis, though even in the 19th century salaries were astonishingly small (though food and lodging was still included, and usually uniforms as well).

This varies from country to country, also.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So, weird situation, I didn't return a call from my mom today and the police showed up. I opened my back door and was immediately cuffed because she apparently told them I had killed myself(she is a loving lunatic). I had absolutely no time to defend myself because when I responded with my name question as 'Yes' they immediately told me I "seemed agitated".

After we started chatting about the NCAA tournament they took the cuffs off and left, because I was literally in my apartment playing Zelda but like, that all seems very illegal. So, what the gently caress happened?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

So, weird situation, I didn't return a call from my mom today and the police showed up. I opened my back door and was immediately cuffed because she apparently told them I had killed myself(she is a loving lunatic). I had absolutely no time to defend myself because when I responded with my name question as 'Yes' they immediately told me I "seemed agitated".

After we started chatting about the NCAA tournament they took the cuffs off and left, because I was literally in my apartment playing Zelda but like, that all seems very illegal. So, what the gently caress happened?

Police are allowed to enter a house if they believe someone is or will be harmed. They also have a right to detain you if they feel you may be a harm to yourself or others.

Suck about your mom.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Your mother called the police and told them she's worried you were going to hurt yourself or someone else, or that you already had hurt yourself or someone else. Literally the only way the police would come to your door like that is if she explicitly said that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Memento posted:

Your mother called the police and told them she's worried you were going to hurt yourself or someone else, or that you already had hurt yourself or someone else. Literally the only way the police would come to your door like that is if she explicitly said that.

Which, when you think about it, it pretty reassuring.

Your mom's actions? Less reassuring.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Why when stargazing with the naked eye are there stars I can only see by not looking directly at them? Only visible from the sides is what I mean.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Yep! The same is true for the "people" from those stars... always hovering just at the edge of your vision.

Waiting

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

504 posted:

Why when stargazing with the naked eye are there stars I can only see by not looking directly at them? Only visible from the sides is what I mean.

The way your eye works is that in low-light situations, it's more able to see things off to the side than directly in front of it. The lies-to-children version of why this is true is so that your ancestors didn't get eaten by saber toothed tigers on the savannah. The actual reason is that your eyes have two different types of photoreceptor cells that perceive light; cone cells in the center of your retinas see colours better but don't work well in low-light, rod cells in the periphery of your retinas are monochrome but work better in low light.

Memento fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 28, 2017

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
A lot of your field of view is actually mostly monochrome but your brain is amazing at guessing colours and keeping them if you directly looked at a thing earlier.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Has anyone else had a problem with uploading to Imgur the past couple of days? It looks like they put in a captcha, and now about 80% of my attempts to upload fail. I pass the captchas, but then my image stays at "Processing."

Like so:

So even though it looks like it's uploaded, I can't get the share links. This one worked, but I then tried a couple more and they failed.

But basically I guess it keeps thinking I"m a bot? If I don't get a captcha, I can upload. But if it appears, even though I pass, it won't upload.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Is there a thread about sleeping and/or mattresses somewhere? My sleep has been poo poo lately and a lot of online reviews seem to be these skinny nerds instead of peak goon bodies.

GobiasIndustries posted:

You may want to follow up and call the local station to see if there's anything they can put to paper about a false report. They still have to check it out if she does it again, but they may be more easygoing about it, instead of detaining you immediately.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Namarrgon posted:

Water is the solvent, A is the catalyst, B is the reagent, C is the product.

Thanks, I'll go with this terminology.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

GobiasIndustries posted:

Your irl name isn't Granos is it?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Why does milk in the plastic jug expire in a week but milk in a carton lasts a month?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

TBeats posted:

Why does milk in the plastic jug expire in a week but milk in a carton lasts a month?

Jug milk lasts just as long, it just sits in their back room fridge for a week or two before it even sees the sales floor. Even then, there's all the people going through it. It comes in bigger shipments than carton milk, and poor communication between shifts and customers pulling out and replacing jugs means that it's common for older milk to get shoved behind newer milk. Being out of the cold and then put back means its shelf life is further reduced. Workers are supposed to sort through it and get the older stuff to the front but the common design of milk shelves makes this difficult to do so you'll have a long row of jugs with one in the middle that's three days from retirement.

Credentials: years of food retail work.

(edited to try and clarify my point, not sure if I succeeded)

Edited again: I see. Walmart here, though I'll admit that dairy isn't my usual station

Yak Shaves Dot Com fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 28, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Unbelievably White posted:

Jug milk lasts just as long, it just sits in their back room fridge for a week or two before it even sees the sales floor, sometimes with even newer milk being stocked ahead of it due to poor communication between shifts (or people simply not caring) as to which shipment arrived first.

Credentials: years of food retail work.

I worked at Publix for five years, two in dairy. Milk goes out pretty quick. Cartoned milk has a longer shelf life regardless of when it arrives to the store.

Cartoned milk that arrived to the store two weeks ago will likely have a later shelf life date than jug milk that arrives today.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Has anyone else had a problem with uploading to Imgur the past couple of days? It looks like they put in a captcha, and now about 80% of my attempts to upload fail. I pass the captchas, but then my image stays at "Processing."

Like so:

So even though it looks like it's uploaded, I can't get the share links. This one worked, but I then tried a couple more and they failed.

But basically I guess it keeps thinking I"m a bot? If I don't get a captcha, I can upload. But if it appears, even though I pass, it won't upload.

Do you have any privacy/adblocker/scriptblocker plugins you can disable? Could be tripped up by that.

If not, Imgur is getting shittier and shittier as an image host as they move more into a social network and I'm not sure how to fix that.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Cartons are also often premium milk (like organic and such), and I think those are likely to be pasteurized more thoroughly so there's less in them to cause spoiling.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Memento posted:

Well, that makes sense I suppose. Thank christ my downstairs neighbors weren't home because they were wandering around in the back yard and pounding on the neighbors' door and opened/searched the garage (thankfully which wasn't locked because I guess they would have had the right to kick it open).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Memento posted:

The way your eye works is that in low-light situations, it's more able to see things off to the side than directly in front of it. The lies-to-children version of why this is true is so that your ancestors didn't get eaten by saber toothed tigers on the savannah. The actual reason is that your eyes have two different types of photoreceptor cells that perceive light; cone cells in the center of your retinas see colours better but don't work well in low-light, rod cells in the periphery of your retinas are monochrome but work better in low light.

Correct answer right here. If you want to google more about it, it's referred to as "averted vision".

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Fellis posted:

Is there a thread about sleeping and/or mattresses somewhere? My sleep has been poo poo lately and a lot of online reviews seem to be these skinny nerds instead of peak goon bodies.

I personally recommend a natural latex foam mattress. It holds up better than synthetic foam and is very cooling in the summer while retaining just enough heat in the winter. I got mine from The Natural Mattress Store.. If budget is more of an issue, try something like a Keetsa, which can be mailed to you and if you don't like it they take it back.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

This is genius. Where did you get it?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Memento posted:

I always thought I had destroyed my vision by staring so much at computer screens or accidentally looking at the sun!

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
Please tell me how to learn to dance.

Inexplicably, I'm dating a man who has many years of dance experience. He loves to dance and is very good at it. I have always been too insecure to dance, so I have no dancing experience whatsoever. Didn't even go to dance clubs in college. The last time I tried dancing was at an anime convention and even the other nerds mocked me.

Anyhow, the man has invited me to join him at several weddings this spring, and I want to be able to dance competently enough that we can have fun together. I don't expect to impress anyone, I just want to feel secure enough in my ability to let loose.

I don't have a lot of money, so I would prefer not to pay for lessons. But if that's the only way to do it, I will.

I don't know anything about the different styles of dance, so I don't know where to even start researching this. Basically, I want to be able to,

- shake my hips and move my arms to fast/bouncy music; and

- join my partner in the cute slow dancing.

Unfortunately, I can't ask him to teach me because I'm not going to see him much between now and the weddings due to work schedules.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My Uncle passed away and left me a bunch of MST3K VHS and DVDs (other stuff too, he was an avid film/tv guy,) as someone whose never watched it before but does have a functioning DVD / VHS combo, should I start at episode 1 and watch it all the way through or should I watch Netflix's top 20 episodes?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turtlicious posted:

My Uncle passed away and left me a bunch of MST3K VHS and DVDs (other stuff too, he was an avid film/tv guy,) as someone whose never watched it before but does have a functioning DVD / VHS combo, should I start at episode 1 and watch it all the way through or should I watch Netflix's top 20 episodes?

Watching it all the way through will generally help make sure you get the inside jokes that develop over time, but be warned that actually watching all the way through will take over 300 hours of continuous viewing. Since it ran for 11 seasons across 3 different channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Turtlicious posted:

There are occasional callbacks and running gags, but 99% of each episode is self-contained, even if you include the ongoing plot arcs that the SciFi Channel people made them start doing in the last three seasons. So you can just jump in anywhere; the theme song will tell you all the setup you need to know.

There's a very active MST3K thread in TVIV: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784246 If you like, give us a list in that thread of the episodes you have, and we'll pick out some good "starter" episodes for you.