Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like the new version of System Shock Enhanced Edition (with an actual source port instead of a heap of EXE hacks) has been released. New features include proper widescreen, an alternate OpenGL renderer, mod support etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Doesn't look like the GOG version has been updated yet.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

Doesn't look like the GOG version has been updated yet.
Probably because it has to go through GOG while they can just update the Steam version themselves.

New feature list, by the way:

quote:

Higher resolution support up to 4K widescreen mode
Mouselook support
Rebindable keyboard/mouse/joystick commands
Adapted to Nightdive's KEX engine
Support for both Direct3D and OpenGL
Option to switch between hi-resolution Mac assets and the original DOS assets
Official support for fan missions and fan mods
New unified options menu that allows changing preferences before gameplay
Adjustable FOV (Field of View)
Smoother camera rotation and translation
Improved control scheme which allows faster and streamlined experience
Brand new achievements
Remappable keys with three profiles to choose from: original controls, custom controls, and lefthanded controls.
Many original game bugs fixed.

There's also a few achievements, if you care about those.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Kins posted:

Looks like the new version of System Shock Enhanced Edition (with an actual source port instead of a heap of EXE hacks) has been released. New features include proper widescreen, an alternate OpenGL renderer, mod support etc.

Never played SS or SS2 before; might give it a try after I beat Dishonored:DOTO if I'm not burned out on "immersive sims" by then (recently played Prey's Mooncrash DLC, and Bioshock2 ).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Kins posted:

gently caress that’s awesome! Been trying to get into this game but would really love some proper widescreen. I love you guys for posting this and I’m glad we’re all friends.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
With those changes, I assume my save from the original EE won't work. Oh well, maybe I can do what I did better this time around. Those are some nice changes. Although, seeing the KEX Engine bit, I've been having some trouble with Doom64EX. My viewpoint doesn't want to leave the centre of the screen, and will violently try to force the pointer back. It's been a while since I played it, and I can't think of anything that I've really done that'd affect it. Maybe some weird driver issue? PowerslaveEX has the same issue.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

catlord posted:

With those changes, I assume my save from the original EE won't work. Oh well, maybe I can do what I did better this time around. Those are some nice changes. Although, seeing the KEX Engine bit, I've been having some trouble with Doom64EX. My viewpoint doesn't want to leave the centre of the screen, and will violently try to force the pointer back. It's been a while since I played it, and I can't think of anything that I've really done that'd affect it. Maybe some weird driver issue? PowerslaveEX has the same issue.

There’s an updated mouse hotfix for Windows 10, not sure if that fixes what you’re describing?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Nice, will have to give this a shot finally!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Been tooling around with the SSEE port for a while now. Can verify that it's loving awesome. If you've never gotten into System Shock now is the absolute perfect time.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Uh how do you make SS:EE go fullscreen again? It's a bit disorientating having the HUD take up the bottom 3rd of the screen!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I subjected my coworker to Cyberdreams. His Doom movement skillz probably aren’t quite where they need to be to beat it so it might get a bit rough for him :devil:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

edit: Someone in the comments points out that some of the random graffiti on the wall (0:35-ish) is custom made and reads the name of the character he killed backwards.
I think it's even better. This is pulled out my rear end but, from one direction, it looks like Gale. The other, it looks like Jane. Either flip the first two, or last two letters. Both characters he feels responsible for dying.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 6, 2018

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

There’s an updated mouse hotfix for Windows 10, not sure if that fixes what you’re describing?

It does, thanks! I thought I was all patched up, and I thought I'd been to the website since that fix came out, but apparently not.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Convex posted:

Retrostein is great, it doesn't really make it harder but tweaks things a bit such that it feels better to play. To be honest the game doesn't look like it's going to be sold again for the foreseeable future so I wouldn't feel too bad about :filez:

edit: if you're in the UK, CEX have copies for £12 which isn't bad

I was thinking :filez: as well, and now I find out that the ISOZone got shut down. :negative:

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

catlord posted:

Although, seeing the KEX Engine bit, I've been having some trouble with Doom64EX. My viewpoint doesn't want to leave the centre of the screen, and will violently try to force the pointer back.

That's an SDL1 issue with Win10, not specific to Kex. Kex3 uses SDL2 and is developed on Win10, 8.1 and 7 so such problems get eliminated pretty quick.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I think it's even better. This is pulled out my rear end but, from one direction, it looks like Gale. The other, it looks like Jane. Either flip the first two, or last two letters. Both characters he feels responsible for dying.

Haha looking at it more I can see that actually, that's pretty great.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

Yea to RF 1, nay to RF 2 (it does have Lance Hendriksen and Jason Statham voicing NPCs).

The character they decided to have Jason Statham voice was the worst possible pick considering the voice they used in the RF2 demo I played on the PS2 was far more appropriate. Shrike is constantly described as somewhat unhinged and yet here we have Jason Staham being all collected and poo poo, as opposed to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTQvHbpzVGc&t=492s
(around 8:14 if the timestamp doesn't work)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

RF2 does have the best cutscene ever in any videogame though.

Yeah it's the one where Alias smacks Sopot in the gob then wears his hat while shoving him into the missile silo's blast zone.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

RF2 does have the best cutscene ever in any videogame though.

Yeah it's the one where Alias smacks Sopot in the gob then wears his hat while shoving him into the missile silo's blast zone.

"For the glory of the Commonwealth...get your rear end in the missile silo!"

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

david_a posted:

I subjected my coworker to Cyberdreams. His Doom movement skillz probably aren’t quite where they need to be to beat it so it might get a bit rough for him :devil:

:allears:

I remember recommending this to a friend in need of a PWAD with something "different" in the gameplay, some years back (2010 or 2011, something like that). Combined with some less-than-favourable behaviour when played through ZDoom in those days, 12 maps into the set and she was not happy with my persistent enthusiasm for the mapset or my insistence that it gets better with each map. Not happy at all.

Hasn't listened to any of my PWAD recommendations since!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
There was a free FPS game released on ModDB (i think) around 2008ish where CTF/DM matches took place on a tiny planet, and players had access to terrain deformation tools that allowed you to create bridges/walls or dig tunnels right through to the core. It ran on Id tech 3, and played very much like Quake 3 where you could not only strafe jump but also sling yourself around the planet ala Mario Galaxy.

I can't remember its name for the life of me, and the game was essentially DOA, but I had a great time mapping intricate worlds to play on at LAN parties. It was a beautiful little gem that lived for a day and died without a sound. Does anybody else remember this? I'd commit man murder for another opportunity to play it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

catlord posted:

With those changes, I assume my save from the original EE won't work. Oh well, maybe I can do what I did better this time around. Those are some nice changes.

It will. The Mac/DOS toggle is probably just changing which bitmap resources get loaded, which doesn't affect save files. Any bugfixes that involved modifying the level data won't be picked up if you load a save rather than starting a new game, but shouldn't interfere with the game in progress either.

The saves are stored in a different place, though, so you may have to move them.

Convex posted:

Uh how do you make SS:EE go fullscreen again? It's a bit disorientating having the HUD take up the bottom 3rd of the screen!

Press 2 or click the little grey box icon on the left side of the screen.

(that's actually the HUD implant and right-clicking on it will bring up some customization options for the HUD, too)

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
do you think they will show satan's dick in doom eternal

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It should have ragdoll physics like in Dante's Inferno

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

It will. The Mac/DOS toggle is probably just changing which bitmap resources get loaded, which doesn't affect save files. Any bugfixes that involved modifying the level data won't be picked up if you load a save rather than starting a new game, but shouldn't interfere with the game in progress either.

The saves are stored in a different place, though, so you may have to move them.

Awesome. I'd have had to transfer the save anyway, I saved it from my old computer and haven't gotten around to reinstalling it.

ETPC posted:

Oh, did id pick up the Visceral staff?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ETPC posted:

M-rated game devs are all about showing meat & veg to show how they Don't Play By The Rules and Treat Games With Maturity these days so I certainly hope so. Bonus points if I get to shoot him in it

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs posted:

Bonus points if I get to shoot him in it

Pretty obvious that the devil is a "she", not a "he". Women in general are spiders. Case in point: Spider Mastermind. Shub Niggurath. That chick from SiN. Lilith from super-smash-hit Requiem: Avenging Angel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bonus points if I get to shoot satan in her penis

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ETPC posted:

Only if you're allowed to piledrive a car into his beanbag like that one (deleted?) easter egg in the Carmageddon expansion pack.

GOT 'IM IN THE BOLLOCKS!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Press 2 or click the little grey box icon on the left side of the screen.

(that's actually the HUD implant and right-clicking on it will bring up some customization options for the HUD, too)

Thanks!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

treat posted:

There was a free FPS game released on ModDB (i think) around 2008ish where CTF/DM matches took place on a tiny planet, and players had access to terrain deformation tools that allowed you to create bridges/walls or dig tunnels right through to the core. It ran on Id tech 3, and played very much like Quake 3 where you could not only strafe jump but also sling yourself around the planet ala Mario Galaxy.

I can't remember its name for the life of me, and the game was essentially DOA, but I had a great time mapping intricate worlds to play on at LAN parties. It was a beautiful little gem that lived for a day and died without a sound. Does anybody else remember this? I'd commit man murder for another opportunity to play it.

You're definitely thinking of Celestial Impact! https://www.moddb.com/games/celestial-impact

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, hey, I remember that game. It was neat!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mischievous Mink posted:

You're definitely thinking of Celestial Impact! https://www.moddb.com/games/celestial-impact

AAAAAAAA!! thank you!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wow, Doomslayer Chronicles is really pretty looking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJkJgXZKh7o
Too bad it's an invasion mod. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mordja posted:

Too bad it's an invasion mod. :(

Oh, drat, that's the realest shame. What a waste.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea I've started to play it. Holy framerate batman.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Doom's pistol is the worst weapon I wish mappers would stop forcing you to play through any period of time longer than 2 minutes with just the pistol. Even id knew this and didn't even include it in Quake.

I was finally given the chaingun and my first thought was "Finally, now I can use my pistol ammo"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yes it is bad. I would like a mod that replaces it with the bear killer from EYE.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

skasion posted:

Yes it is bad. I would like a mod that replaces it with the bear killer from EYE.

Or just the Guncaster revolver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea I'll take a revolver over a pistol any day. Just changing the model and sound effects would be a step up.

On that note shotgun revolvers need to be more of a thing in games. I haven't been able to get my fix since Black Ops 2.