Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I've been avoiding this thread since Ringed City trailers started showing up, but I'm finally getting around to starting a playthrough for it. I've freed Karla, but I'd like some Fashion Souls advice, and maybe a bit of build advice.

I'm going for a fanfictiony "fallen firekeeper" thing, aiming for a Lord of Hollows ending. Dark pyromancy with miracle support, and minimal weaponry. Two concerns:

I'm not totally happy with the head gear. Old Sage's Blindfold is one of my favorite "helmets," and it covers the eyes like I want, but I don't think it quite fits. Is there anything in the game that covers the eyes or face, but is a bit more, I guess, elegant, and doesn't require I kill Yuria? I can't remember anything.

And while I've been enjoying using the Dark Hand as my primary weapon, (when did it become a legit weapon, I love it,) it's been slowing down a little, damage-wise. I don't know if this is because I've been putting levels into health and attunement, leaving Faith and Int in the low 20s, or because it can't be upgraded. If the problem isn't just my stats, is there anything as cool and fitting as the Dark Hand that I can use as a replacement? I've got a Raw Caestus I've been leveling, but I kinda wanted to turn it Simple for the focus regen.

Finally, how high should I be pushing Faith and Int? I've seen 45|45 a few times, but also 30|30 and "any combination that adds up to 60." Two 45s? I wouldn't mind putting some of those levels into health or stamina instead, but I'll obey the softcap and get real good at rolling/lean real hard on Tears of Denial if I gotta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

aegof posted:

I've been avoiding this thread since Ringed City trailers started showing up, but I'm finally getting around to starting a playthrough for it. I've freed Karla, but I'd like some Fashion Souls advice, and maybe a bit of build advice.

I'm going for a fanfictiony "fallen firekeeper" thing, aiming for a Lord of Hollows ending. Dark pyromancy with miracle support, and minimal weaponry. Two concerns:

I'm not totally happy with the head gear. Old Sage's Blindfold is one of my favorite "helmets," and it covers the eyes like I want, but I don't think it quite fits. Is there anything in the game that covers the eyes or face, but is a bit more, I guess, elegant, and doesn't require I kill Yuria? I can't remember anything.

And while I've been enjoying using the Dark Hand as my primary weapon, (when did it become a legit weapon, I love it,) it's been slowing down a little, damage-wise. I don't know if this is because I've been putting levels into health and attunement, leaving Faith and Int in the low 20s, or because it can't be upgraded. If the problem isn't just my stats, is there anything as cool and fitting as the Dark Hand that I can use as a replacement? I've got a Raw Caestus I've been leveling, but I kinda wanted to turn it Simple for the focus regen.

Finally, how high should I be pushing Faith and Int? I've seen 45|45 a few times, but also 30|30 and "any combination that adds up to 60." Two 45s? I wouldn't mind putting some of those levels into health or stamina instead, but I'll obey the softcap and get real good at rolling/lean real hard on Tears of Denial if I gotta.

Lorian's Helm, Blindfold Mask, Dancer's Crown and Ringed Knight Hood would all work, but they're all really late in the game. Blindfold Mask even boosts your dark damage.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can also complete Yuria's questline to get her armor, but that is very endgame as well.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I just downloaded Dark Souls 1 from Steam. It was working fine, but when I changed the resolution the screen went black and I could only hear sound effects. I tried deleting and redownloading the game but it's doing the same thing. I googled the problem, but nothing's working. Any ideas?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Do you have dsfix? That happens to me sometimes, but using dsfix I set my game to borderless windowed and it solved it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Little thing I don't quite get about dsfix. Should the dsfix files be directly in the folder named DATA or does the dsfix folder go inside it?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Spermando posted:

Little thing I don't quite get about dsfix. Should the dsfix files be directly in the folder named DATA or does the dsfix folder go inside it?

inside, but there are also some files in the zip that are above the dsfix directory and go directly into DATA. Unzip into the DATA directory without modifying the directory structure of the zip

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
It doesn't do anything. I opened a different account on my computer and it works fine there. What a mess of a port. :/

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I thought the current iteration of DS1 didn't really need the DSfix mod?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

i played it earlier this year (i dont think theyve patched it since) and it was an unplayable glitchy mess without it

op make sure you also use the "Dark Souls Connectivity Mod" (DSCM) which greatly improves the online matchmaking

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

SHISHKABOB posted:

It doesn't, but sometimes you do have to mess with the .ini regardless. I have a laptop that's locked to 48fps and Dark Souls wouldn't even load far enough to get to the options menu until I manually edited resolution/refresh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SHISHKABOB posted:

It does if you want to run at 60 fps or in borderless windowed mode.

There's also a whole lot of small things it does which are often optional, and some performance tweaks. There's really no reason not to use it.
DSCM is strictly speaking more required if you wanna do online though.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
DSfix does a couple of weird things for me, like there's 2 ladders in the game that if i slide all the way down i'll drop right through the map (thee long one under the the dragon brige from the rat room and the one right next to the hidden bonfire in the catacombs) and it'll always crash when i place the lordvessel, so i need to disable it for that.
Also, having scaled the HUD down to a more reasonable size, it'll remain there unless i look up at the sun in Anor Londo, which is pretty loving specific. Also boss helath bars/names are a bit hosed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The sliding down ladders thing is a common 60 FPS glitch. I forget why it happens but with default FPS limit it should stop.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

skasion posted:

The sliding down ladders thing is a common 60 FPS glitch. I forget why it happens but with default FPS limit it should stop.

Because the collision detection is locked to 30 so your model is through the floor before it detects you hit it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Hey guys! Just got Flynn's ring!

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Still need to figure out a good dex weapon to infuse with blessed in a 40/40 fathi dex build and a weapon to use in a low level dragon invader. Also i finally discovered a very specific use for a cleric starter class. A build that needs exactly 12 str, 40 dex and 60 faith. If you go 11 str then merc is better.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Iretep posted:

Still need to figure out a good dex weapon to infuse with blessed in a 40/40 fathi dex build and a weapon to use in a low level dragon invader. Also i finally discovered a very specific use for a cleric starter class. A build that needs exactly 12 str, 40 dex and 60 faith. If you go 11 str then merc is better.

Lothric ultra greatsword sharp or blessed

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

asio posted:

Lothric ultra greatsword sharp or blessed

no see i already have a str dude doing that. im trying to think of a weapon that doesent use poise so i can skimp out on vit to the minimum.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes. I've done the Cathedral of the Deep in so many different weird-rear end orders I can't even remember them all. It's one of my favorite levels in any game, period.

Legit, a masterpiece of level design, it's kind of so good it shames the rest of the levels by its presence. A highlight of the entire series, to be honest, it's an exacting gauntlet the whole way through. The enemies are mostly humanoid, which is a bit disappointing, but there's a huge variety of attacks and enemy compositions to face -- all told, from the forest of archers and dogs, including the three non-respawning NPC-style enemies, the Cathedral of the Deep is probably one of the single largest levels in the game and it contains a nearly unending stream of resolute challenges from beginning to end. It's kind of a pain in my rear end, especially if I'm playing poorly, but it's a section of the game I look forward to more and more each time I play Dark Souls 3 -- the inverse of which could be said for, say, Farron Keep.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like cathedral of the deep alright but I think it's kinda easy once you know where to go. Outside bit there's nothing tough besides the grave wardens. Once you're through the outside bit you just beat the first giant, go to the bottom, roll past the second giant in his shitpool and then it's a short walk to the boss. If you want to get rosaria's bonfire you fall off the raised area with the couple of knights that leads to the boss, and go into the right side to get to the shortcut and elevator that leads up to the rafters.

And that's kinda it. There's a lot of that place that feels unimportant to me.
Granted, this is also true of my favorite dark souls area, sen's fortress, but I feel like the goodies hidden throughout there make the many sidepaths more meaningful. All I care about in cathedral of the deep is grabbing rosaria's bonfire and then fighting the boss.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, yeah, it doesn't have great loot but it is in and of itself a fun level to run through.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The enemies are mostly humanoid, which is a bit disappointing

this is part of why I like it, non-humanoid enemies in Dark Souls suck

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Got this gifted to me last night, so here I am with the dumb questions.

I just finished getting all trophies in Bloodborne, so I was thinking about making a BB-y agile build instead of falling back to the old 'turtle and poke with a spear' DaS1 trap. Started out with a Mercenary, made it to Firelink and I'm kinda liking the dual scimitars so far.

Should I go STR/DEX, or just pure DEX? Beforeiplay mentions rapiers/stocs being rather good, does that still hold? Never did a rapier run in the series before so I kinda like how it sounds.

Cheers and merry Christmas.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Optimal stat builds depend on the specific weapon. Look 'em up on the DS3 wiki and see how they scale. For a first playthrough I would recommend just going STR/DEX and making your weapons Quality, not because it's optimal (although it might be for all I know) but simply because you'll be able to experiment with everything but magic.

e: Looks like Refined Sellsword Twinblades have 361 AR on a 40/40 build and Sharp Sellsword Twinblades have 362 AR at 10/40 and 384 at 10/60, so dexterity is probably the way to go. If you were talking about some other weapon you can run the math here: https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

questions

1. what does poise on weapons mean
2. what does frostbite do

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

For a first playthrough I would recommend just going STR/DEX and making your weapons Quality, not because it's optimal (although it might be for all I know) but simply because you'll be able to experiment with everything but magic.

Yeah, this sounds about right. It's not like I won't replay the game; I can always min-max when I know what I want to do.

Cheers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, this sounds about right. It's not like I won't replay the game; I can always min-max when I know what I want to do.

Cheers.

You also get access to (limited, but can be unlimited with a glitch) respecs about 1/3 of the way into the game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

where the red fern gropes posted:

2. what does frostbite do

I'm not touching the first one, but frostbite slows you down, basically. Like all status effects in DS3 it does nothing until it reaches a certain threshold (usually as a result of taking multiple hits in a short time) at which point the effect kicks in and lasts until the bar is emptied.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not touching the first one, but frostbite slows you down, basically. Like all status effects in DS3 it does nothing until it reaches a certain threshold (usually as a result of taking multiple hits in a short time) at which point the effect kicks in and lasts until the bar is emptied.

It’s a lot more evil than that - it’s Bleed (a massive burst of damage once the meter tops up) plus reduced stamina recovery and increased damage taken for a certain period of time. Basically, don’t get Frosted, and do inflict it on bosses vulnerable to Frost.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

where the red fern gropes posted:

questions

1. what does poise on weapons mean
The simple version is that big weapons have 'hyperarmor' when you swing them. This basically means poise is turned on during attacks with weapons like maces, greatswords, greatmaces, ultra greatswords, etc.

The bigger the weapon the more 'poise health' it has when you swing it. In order to stagger you during your attack, enemies need to deplete your poisehealth.
That's pretty easy to do if you're wearing light armor, but if you're wearing heavy armor the poise value from that serves as defense for your poisehealth.
Whenever you swing your poisehealth is reset to 80%(if it was below 80%), and whenever you are staggered or use most weapon arts it is reset to 100%.

tl;dr: when you swing big weapons you can't get staggered easily, the bigger the weapon and the more poise your armor has both affect how much enemies need to hit you to knock you out of your attack animation. A really big weapon like a great mace paired with armor with high poise makes it extremely difficult to stagger you out of your r1s, which basically means you win any trades against humanoid enemies.
If you wanna minmax, you can use this.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
What am I missing about the Lothric Wall knights? Because they're destroying me; feels like if I dodge they recover from their attack animation before I can get a swing in, if I turtle their attacks just ruin my stamina and they have a shield bash that comes out stupid fast and tracks like a motherfucker (seriously, I've seen their torsos do some weird poo poo when they pull it off).

I can kinda handle the sword ones, but the spear dudes are making my life hell. :<

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

What am I missing about the Lothric Wall knights? Because they're destroying me; feels like if I dodge they recover from their attack animation before I can get a swing in, if I turtle their attacks just ruin my stamina and they have a shield bash that comes out stupid fast and tracks like a motherfucker (seriously, I've seen their torsos do some weird poo poo when they pull it off).

I can kinda handle the sword ones, but the spear dudes are making my life hell. :<

Remember to two-hand your weapon so it doesn’t bounce off shields, then batter down their defences when they try to turtle and go for a critical hit when their shield drops.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Edmond Dantes posted:

Got a sword of some description? The upward sweep Weapon Skill lets you bat away that big shield and get in a spicy riposte. Kicking too, if you're persistent enough.

And uh those shield bashes don't exactly home in per se, it's just that they're onto your circling tactics. They see you going to one side, they'll give a painful swing left or right in response. You're quick enough, it's possible to bait them into a shield whiff while you're still in front.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 25, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Lothric Knights are definitely Dark Souls as hell and will repeatedly kick your rear end when you first run into them. I think the shield bash they have that's perfectly engineered to hit you out of the "circle around to the right with your shield up" tactic everyone learned from the previous games is great.

The spear ones are kind of turtley so you cheese them by breaking through their guard with a few hits or a couple of kicks.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Shear Modulus posted:

The Lothric Knights are definitely Dark Souls as hell and will repeatedly kick your rear end when you first run into them. I think the shield bash they have that's perfectly engineered to hit you out of the "circle around to the right with your shield up" tactic everyone learned from the previous games is great.

The spear ones are kind of turtley so you cheese them by breaking through their guard with a few hits or a couple of kicks.

The problem is you basically have to be psychic when breaking the shield dudes' guard with kicks, since they guard for so short a window that most of the time you'll end up kicking them instead of their shield and eating a stab. Weapon arts that break guards are A-OK though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I seem to remember the guys with the spears and big shields being a lot easier to kick than the sword+medium shield ones but it's been a while since I played the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The spear guys are super easy because they turtle up all the time, which makes them an easy target for guard breaks. The sword guys are more aggressive, but they stagger really easily.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I was running with the twin scimitars, so I had neither two-handing nor kicks :v:

Ended up grabbing the broadsword and smacking them with the two hand hits, but... going back to the sword is what I was trying to avoid for this run. Ah well, not like I can't swap afterwards.

I made a bit of progress and just fought a very angry tree which I hit in the balls until they popped.

:darksouls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Lothric Knights are made to punish Dark Souls 1 and 2 style play. You've been trained to circle around away from their weapons and backstab, and that's precisely what their shield bashes punish. It's funny the first few times, but generally just pretty rude and they're a lot harder than early enemies in other Souls games. The overall best tips are using the Stance weapon art on Long/Broadswords that breaks their guard, or two-handing your weapon and hitting them 3 times, or kicking their shield. Parrying them is also effective, but a risk as always.