Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Timby posted:

Von Trier is up there with Neveldine / Taylor with me: Far more concerned with "huh, this would be so cool" as opposed to actually telling a coherent story.

Man, it's funny because I don't feel that way at all, in fact I think Von Trier is one of the most consistently engaging storytellers of our generation by a gigantic margin. His characters are so meaty and vivid and alive, and he pairs it so well with his narrative machinations, which I find extremely compelling - compare with Haneke, who I also enjoy but I find far too chilly, and Östlund, who has a similar knack for ramping up a scene but has trouble with structure (see also Lanthimos, who explores similar waters of what you could almost call psychotic disenchantment but puts language before action).

K. Waste posted:

2017 catch-up status report:

If you're looking for a rather nice feel-good movie with low dramatic stakes, you can't really go wrong with Andy Serkis's Breathe. (Yes, that Andy Serkis.) The cast gives it their all, but the real heavy-lifting is done by d.p. Robert Richardson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_YnYrLfjxA

I know it's just from my own calculated algorithmic suggestion chain but the "next video" for this was the MST3k episode "The Brain That Wouldn't Die".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I saw the trailer for that once, it didn't look horrible. I'll probably check it out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/wigu/status/956354410464063488

Smack Down Your Vote

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm torn between never wanting or needing to watch Nymphomaniac ever again and also wanting to watch the five-and-a-half hour director's cut.

Someday I'll get around to watching more of his movies. They sound interesting but they're also something i would have to be in a very specific mood to watch.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

GonSmithe posted:

I saw the trailer for that once, it didn't look horrible. I'll probably check it out.

It's definitely saccharine at times, and on these pinko forums it's going to be triggering a lot of well-founded criticism cause it's basically the definition of a hagiography that uses liberal indignation to distract from the fundamental economic divide between its filthy rich characters and the lives of the majority of people, able and differently-abled alike. But it's certainly not horrible. It's not as aesthetically unconventional or as bittersweet as The Diving Bell and the Butterfly or anything, but they both share the same fundamental aspiration that their stories define the most optimistic aspects of the human condition. And it's still really well shot.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Man, it's funny because I don't feel that way at all, in fact I think Von Trier is one of the most consistently engaging storytellers of our generation by a gigantic margin. His characters are so meaty and vivid and alive, and he pairs it so well with his narrative machinations, which I find extremely compelling - compare with Haneke, who I also enjoy but I find far too chilly, and Östlund, who has a similar knack for ramping up a scene but has trouble with structure (see also Lanthimos, who explores similar waters of what you could almost call psychotic disenchantment but puts language before action).

Hell yeah.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I know it's just from my own calculated algorithmic suggestion chain but the "next video" for this was the MST3k episode "The Brain That Wouldn't Die".

Hell yeah.

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm torn between never wanting or needing to watch Nymphomaniac ever again and also wanting to watch the five-and-a-half hour director's cut.

It's the only way to watch it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Would I enjoy Blow-Up?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
2018 is gonna be buck wild, yo
https://twitter.com/nytmetro/status/955982691098353665

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Man, it's funny because I don't feel that way at all, in fact I think Von Trier is one of the most consistently engaging storytellers of our generation by a gigantic margin.

most definitely.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’ve been meaning to watch Nymphomaniac too but I just haven’t gotten to it yet. I like his other recent stuff, but I’d say my favorite of his is Breaking the Waves, though I haven’t seen it in years. I’m probably due for a rewatch. I think the only one that I dislike out of everything I’ve seen is Manderlay, but I also gave up on that after about 30 minutes. I’ve been meaning to check out Europa and Riget too.

I can certainly see how the guy himself could get on someone’s nerves, but he’s one of my favorite current directors.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
24 Hours to Live kinda slaps, y'all

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
talking of european directors, i keep waiting for the rediscovery of Until the End of the World as not only Wim Wenders' best film, but one of the best cyberpunk/postmodern movies ever. and that soundtrack, my god:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amH_W3AKAak

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Would I enjoy Blow-Up?

Probably not, but you should watch it anyways, it's amazing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Would I enjoy Blow-Up?

Have you seen and enjoyed Blow Out?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Revenge was pretty rad. The other two movies I watched today (Damsel and Monsters and Men), not so much.

Now waiting to get into Come Sunday. Nothing like going from a rape revenge movie to a biopic about a preacher.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just watch Blow Out.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Anti-Christ is severe tryhard bullshit, and I know :thejoke: so congrats to Von Trier for making a boring movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Have you seen and enjoyed Blow Out?

No.

Skwirl posted:

Probably not, but you should watch it anyways, it's amazing.

Hmm.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really liked Antichrist and I was really expecting not to

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

I think you'll dig Blow Out more, because it's better.

But Blow-Up is no slouch either.

In conclusion, it's a land of contrasts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Melancholia is probably my favorite LVT film. After reading Bjork's not-so-veiled comments I don't think I can go back to him though.

Also whoever was talking about Mudbound, that was a drat fine film and Dee Rees has now cemented herself as a filmmaker that is a guaranteed watch. The bookend scenes with the burial, goddamn. I think I have to back and check out Bessie

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

I think you'll dig Blow Out more, because it's better.

But Blow-Up is no slouch either.

In conclusion, it's a land of contrasts.

Blow-Up is the one playing at a local theater, so I’m gonna see that, but I’ll check out Blow Out after. Thank you for your comments.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just watch Blow Out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccONYE53Z3U

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

That's loving hilarious then.

There's a little bit more to it than that because from the trailers it looked to be about how doing makeup tutorials helped her go from a gay man to an openly trans woman it's not literally just make up

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Okay, church, what's my bed time TCM watch tonight?

Our Daily Bread (1934) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Daily_Bread_(1934_film)

The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9jWfcfMpq8

One on One (1977) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFVKLgLiujY

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

K. Waste posted:

Okay, church, what's my bed time TCM watch tonight?

Our Daily Bread (1934) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Daily_Bread_(1934_film)

The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9jWfcfMpq8

One on One (1977) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFVKLgLiujY

How is it not automatically the Orson Welles flick?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Melancholia is probably my favorite LVT film. After reading Bjork's not-so-veiled comments I don't think I can go back to him though.
It's sitting at #1 on my decade list, but yeah, what a (not really surprising) shame.

Skwirl posted:

How is it not automatically the Orson Welles flick?
I find Ambersons to be a greater accomplishment than Citizen Kane for the first 86 minutes or so.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Escobarbarian posted:

I like Birdman very much but I can definitely see how it’s not for everyone. And the whole “lol critics r bad” thing is super lame

Now it's been a while since I saw it, but the critic scene seems more about informing us about his character than any kind of broader general statement but iunno

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's a good scream. It's a good scream.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

(Would have started my venture into Pasolini's films with the Trilogy of Life, but they didn't have the Blu-rays)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Would I enjoy Blow-Up?

Blow-Up is fantastic. Probably the most accessible Antonioni movie. Slow enough to be a good “slow movie”, but grabby enough to be a good thriller. Plus it’s directly responsible for at least a couple more of the best subsequent thrillers of the ‘70s and ‘80s (The Conversation, Blow Out, arguably Deep Red)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Man, it's funny because I don't feel that way at all, in fact I think Von Trier is one of the most consistently engaging storytellers of our generation by a gigantic margin.

Confession time: I bawled my eyes out at the end of Dancer in the Dark. I genuinely can't think of many other films that left me so emotionally shaken. So all these posts about von Trier being cold and emotionally distant feel so weird to me.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bushisms.txt posted:

How is it not about the story? The very first frame is a shot of jelly fish. Keaton talks about lying on the beach entangled in jelly fish. When he "kills" himself, we see the jelly fish strewn across the beach from his PoV. He ascends to heaven after settling his affairs. It's about him dying on the beach and instead of flashing back on his life, he's wondering how it could've been different. The one shot dream like takes are there to hammer home the almost purgatory state the world is in.

I think you might be watching movies wrong if you think Atonement isn't about the story or sincere in it's disdain for the audience. That movie rules. And that dunkirk shot is all you need for authenticity, but McAvoy gives you more if you need seconds.

"I might be watching movies wrong", eh? It could just be that I have a different subjective interpretation of an artwork, rear end in a top hat.

I tried to explain why it wasn't about the story, but about the way in which the story was told. It's hard to articulate but if you don't (or don't want to) get it, I can't say much more to explain it. Maybe, at its simplest, it's not about the story but about the story-telling.

I have a completely different take on Atonement to you. The Dunkirk shot took me out of the story and the movie: it was about admiring the shot rather than propelling the story along. As for the film itself, it makes the audience feel something about this beautiful romance, then tells you that it actually didn't exist and that everything you have felt up to now has been manufactured, and that you've been manipulated. I know that film manipulate viewers, but I don't want it shoved in my face, thanks.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Confession time: I bawled my eyes out at the end of Dancer in the Dark. I genuinely can't think of many other films that left me so emotionally shaken. So all these posts about von Trier being cold and emotionally distant feel so weird to me.

You're right, his films are actually full of emotion, but those emotions are misanthropy, misogyny and smugness.

I Before E posted:

I feel like Lars Von Trier would be less divisive if he separated his formalism from his explorations of depression and suffering, because as is his films are both emotionally rough and formally alienating, which I love, especially in the case of Dogville, but I understand how that mixture can come off as coldly exploitative, especially given how shittily he comes off in interviews.

Nicely put.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think people are more upset with Bjork recently saying he sexually assaulted her during the making of Dancer in the Dark. Before that it was that he was trying too hard to be edgy in interviews and acted all pissy because people got upset when he may or may not have said he was cool with Hitler. (He said that he "understood" or "related" to Hitler or something like that at Cannes, and it started a bunch of weird bullshit.)

But to address specifically that he's "Cold and emotionally distant" seems to ring true with personal interactions. He commands his actors respect, but he sounds like a lovely person to work with. Imagine if Stanley Kubrick treated everyone he worked with like he did Shelly Duvall on the set of The Shining. That's Von Trier.

I really like Nymphomaniac and Dogville, but after Bjork's thinly veiled accusations towards him, I don't think I could watch either of them again, given how much sexual assault occurs in both films.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the most interesting thing Von Trier did was probably The Five Obstructions. it also feels most like the movie non Von Trier fans would like (i mean, i wouldn't consider myself a Von Trier fan but i liked it), although given that it has the most onscreen Von Trier of any of his movies i could be wrong.

Dogville and Breaking the Waves are okay i guess but i don't really need to see them again.

i do hear Riget is really good and intend on getting around to it someday.

edit: i just looked up his upcoming movie The House that Jack Built and while Von Trier leaves me cold more often than not, I can't say i'm not curious about a '70s mind-of-a-serial killer movie starring Matt Dillon

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 25, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

(Would have started my venture into Pasolini's films with the Trilogy of Life, but they didn't have the Blu-rays)

Hahaha. Good luck.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the most interesting thing Von Trier did was probably The Five Obstructions. it also feels most like the movie non Von Trier fans would like (i mean, i wouldn't consider myself a Von Trier fan but i liked it), although given that it has the most onscreen Von Trier of any of his movies i could be wrong.

Dogville and Breaking the Waves are okay i guess but i don't really need to see them again.

i do hear Riget is really good and intend on getting around to it someday.

edit: i just looked up his upcoming movie The House that Jack Built and while Von Trier leaves me cold more often than not, I can't say i'm not curious about a '70s mind-of-a-serial killer movie starring Matt Dillon

Riget is one of the best things ever. It was on Netflix years back but now I don't know where to find it.

Edit: derp. Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpiIKUT7QxY

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

therattle posted:

"I might be watching movies wrong",

it was about admiring the shot rather than propelling the story along.

That you think a nice shot can't do both is why I say that. I bet you walked out of children of men.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bushisms.txt posted:

That you think a nice shot can't do both is why I say that. I bet you walked out of children of men.

Where did I say a nice shot can't do both? I love Children of Men; I think it's an amazing film. I just don't think that Atonement does both, because Joe Wright is an overrated hack and Alfonso Cuaron isn't. So, you think that I watch films wrongly because my views don't coincide with yours, and you read things into what I've written which just aren't there. What next?

I've just seen the text below your avatar. Quite.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
On last nights episode of Happy! a character named Smoothie revealed why he has that nickname, and I'm pretty stunned they showed what they showed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Slice of life: lol at my coworker parroting Jesse Ventura’s statement that Chris Kyle’s lie about clocking him ruined The Body’s life and that he’s no longer able to get work because of it.

• Locked thread