Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Darkrenown posted:

Might be worth editing the IJN BB bit to mention that the Mushasi and anime Yamato have the same guns/overmatch if it's going to be a reference point.

Was just blurbing the tech tree stuff for total newbies, they don't really need to know that for quite some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I got 5 reports for "spotting and torping at DDs instead of killing them with rockets."

I was in a Parseval.

Our entire west flank had pushed into spawn to chase a Colorado instead of shooting anything I spotted. 8k spotting damage total.

My God.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In fairness to the people reporting you, some of them could have just been because you were playing a CV rather than how you were playing it. :pseudo:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Blindeye posted:

I got 5 reports for "spotting and torping at DDs instead of killing them with rockets."

I was in a Parseval.

Our entire west flank had pushed into spawn to chase a Colorado instead of shooting anything I spotted. 8k spotting damage total.

My God.

That’s really weird, I’ve got battleships that average more than that.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

wdarkk posted:

That’s really weird, I’ve got battleships that average more than that.

I can tell how well a team plays in my CV by how much spotting damage. I will have 8-9 spotting ribbons early. If a team is good, that'll translate to 20-30k spotting by the 3rd minute. If I spot DDs they might focus him, and by end game my CV will have 90-150k spotting. Bad teams will not shoot spotted ships, at all. So DDs will be in contested caps spotted taking no damage while a nose-in BB gets rained on by AP and HE for 12 minutes (like this game) and I get little to no spotting damage while they cry about the CV not winning the game for them.

CVs are oppressive, powerful, and bullshit, but if no one shoots what you spot, CVs cannot do much of anything against a team of average players. The damage output isn't there if the enemy is pushing in and capping/killing your team fast. I have had dozens of 200k+ damage cruiser, DD, and BB games but CVs take a lot more time at tier 8 to push 100k damage.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
CVs are much more reliable at doing damage than ships, because nobody can do anything to stop you from damaging them. It's easier to get a lot of damage and kills than in a ship, because once you understand the basic mechanics there's very little risk of getting a 43k damage game because RNG decided to poo poo on you. In comparison there are fewer of the huge damage games where everyone decides to feed you free damage (that's built in and pressing the battle button is already feeding the CV free damage) but you can't really complain about that when CVs can win more than ships, get more average damage and kills, and still can get 300k damage games.

If your problem is nobody shooting the ships you spot, the answer is probably to kill the ships yourself. CVs are also the best spotters in the game because Wargaming is a competent developer, but chasing destroyers around the map for 7 minutes without killing them is a complete waste of time. Either kill the destroyer or drop a fighter consumable on it and go bomb another ship instead of walking in circles doing 0 damage.

Anyway if you lose 5 karma for a CV game the real question is what's wrong with the other 18.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

James Garfield posted:

CVs are much more reliable at doing damage than ships, because nobody can do anything to stop you from damaging them. It's easier to get a lot of damage and kills than in a ship, because once you understand the basic mechanics there's very little risk of getting a 43k damage game because RNG decided to poo poo on you. In comparison there are fewer of the huge damage games where everyone decides to feed you free damage (that's built in and pressing the battle button is already feeding the CV free damage) but you can't really complain about that when CVs can win more than ships, get more average damage and kills, and still can get 300k damage games.

If your problem is nobody shooting the ships you spot, the answer is probably to kill the ships yourself. CVs are also the best spotters in the game because Wargaming is a competent developer, but chasing destroyers around the map for 7 minutes without killing them is a complete waste of time. Either kill the destroyer or drop a fighter consumable on it and go bomb another ship instead of walking in circles doing 0 damage.

Anyway if you lose 5 karma for a CV game the real question is what's wrong with the other 18.

Oh no, I understand. Keep in mind I have been average 60+% winrates in my carrier, what I'm saying is that the rate of damage/kills a carrier puts out is limited by your planes available (not killing a mogador in a Parseval unless you are very lucky with torps, even then the Mogador I engaged ate 4 torpedoes and still had half its health), the turnaround time (time spent slowing the mogador is time not spent killing ships), and how they're positioned (Two JBs and an Alaska moving together will have enough AA to deplane you if you need to strike them to stop them from killing your team). If your team loses 5 ships in the first 5 minutes, and is hiding behind islands/not shooting what's spotted to make 18km shots at a Colorado, I'm not turning the game around.

That being said, did you all miss how I said CVs are cancer? I was only commenting on the fact that they didn't know the Parseval has AP rockets....

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Blindeye posted:

Oh no, I understand. Keep in mind I have been average 60+% winrates in my carrier, what I'm saying is that the rate of damage/kills a carrier puts out is limited by your planes available (not killing a mogador in a Parseval unless you are very lucky with torps, even then the Mogador I engaged ate 4 torpedoes and still had half its health), the turnaround time (time spent slowing the mogador is time not spent killing ships), and how they're positioned (Two JBs and an Alaska moving together will have enough AA to deplane you if you need to strike them to stop them from killing your team). If your team loses 5 ships in the first 5 minutes, and is hiding behind islands/not shooting what's spotted to make 18km shots at a Colorado, I'm not turning the game around.

That being said, did you all miss how I said CVs are cancer? I was only commenting on the fact that they didn't know the Parseval has AP rockets....

The damage you can do in a ship is limited by the rate of fire and damage of your guns and whether or not the enemies are broadsiding you, and if your team loses 5 ships in 5 minutes you'll very likely lose no matter what you're playing. None of that is special to CVs. A CV is probably even the best ship for that situation, since it's the most powerful.

If you're playing a CV with AP rockets you're better off attacking other ships besides the Mogador. A blob of two Jean Barts and an Alaska can kill some planes from a tier 8 CV, but there are other ships on the map and if you really wanted to bomb them you could pre drop (not that you would want to bomb Jean Barts with a German CV).

It's just weird to complain that a CV can't win a game where half your team dies in spawn. It's world of warships, sometimes you lose. CVs lose less than anything else though!

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 13, 2020

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

James Garfield posted:

The damage you can do in a ship is limited by the rate of fire and damage of your guns and whether or not the enemies are broadsiding you, and if your team loses 5 ships in 5 minutes you'll very likely lose no matter what you're playing. None of that is special to CVs. A CV is probably even the best ship for that situation, since it's the most powerful.

If you're playing a CV with AP rockets you're better off attacking other ships besides the Mogador. A blob of two Jean Barts and an Alaska can kill some planes from a tier 8 CV, but there are other ships on the map and if you really wanted to bomb them you could pre drop (not that you would want to bomb Jean Barts with a German CV).

It's just weird to complain that a CV can't win a game where half your team dies in spawn. It's world of warships, sometimes you lose. CVs lose less than anything else though!

Which brings us right back around to where we were in my first message; they're complaining that I wasn't striking their DDs with rocket planes and instead spotting/doing other things (like attacking their other ships).

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Which brings us right back around to where we were in my first message; they're complaining that I wasn't striking their DDs with rocket planes and instead spotting/doing other things (like attacking their other ships).

Your teammates are stupid, who cares what they complain about in chat.

(they are however right to report you, since you're playing a CV)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Nother noob question: I started bureau progress on the Alaska but reading a bit back in the thread it seems the Alaska isn’t long for this world and I doubt I can get it in time—should I abandon ship now or should I drat the torpedoes and I’ll get reimbursed well enough (the more I’m playing it seems I’ve missed the boat, both the literal one and the reasonable ftp one but). Think I would’ve really enjoyed the Alaska, alas

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

James Garfield posted:

Your teammates are stupid, who cares what they complain about in chat.

(they are however right to report you, since you're playing a CV)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Pontius Pilate posted:

Nother noob question: I started bureau progress on the Alaska but reading a bit back in the thread it seems the Alaska isn’t long for this world and I doubt I can get it in time—should I abandon ship now or should I drat the torpedoes and I’ll get reimbursed well enough (the more I’m playing it seems I’ve missed the boat, both the literal one and the reasonable ftp one but). Think I would’ve really enjoyed the Alaska, alas

This is a confusing question because the Alaska is not a research bureau ship, it's from Free XP, so it would be unfortunate if you've been turning your FXP into research points. In either case it's a general resource rather than you working on a specific ship (it is possible to be working on a specific ship, e.g. in the tech tree, marathons, or dockyard events).

If you mean you are farming Free XP but probably won't have enough and are thinking about converting some XP, it all depends on how much you will have to convert vs how much spare money you have to spend on terrible games. The Alaska is great, and if the play style appeals to you then you should love it, but WG will likely make another ship like it in the future and really the Agir is already at least in the same ballpark but Germanized. If you do decide to convert XP, at least wait and see if the Xmas event contains a conversion bonus, it's fairly likely.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pontius Pilate posted:

Are you talking about Dockyard stuff for the Anchorage, not the Alaska?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/106

Some overdue changes coming (and some that don't really matter).

Slight nerf to MVR (not enough)
Heavy nerf to Hosho (might help with the seal-clubbing)
Decent buff to Tallinn
Minor Buffs to Kansas and Minnesota (lol)
Minor buffs to UK CVs (again although pretty irrelevant)

Somers is going away.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Does anyone know if anything fun is supposed to come up for coal? I already have Georgia, but the current offering is pretty meh.

Pommern looks most fun of the rest for some brawling secondary build shenanigans, but not 230k coal levels of fun.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
They’ve settled on around 200-250k coal for tier 9, and 300k for tier 10. 30k+ steel for tier 10 steel battleships, as well. Pommern seems fun if you’re into brawling battleships, which I’m not, but the cost really shouldn’t be considered a variable.

It’s been a minute since they added any ships for free xp. Wonder what’s next there? I’m kind of curious about Agir.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Velius posted:

They’ve settled on around 200-250k coal for tier 9, and 300k for tier 10. 30k+ steel for tier 10 steel battleships, as well. Pommern seems fun if you’re into brawling battleships, which I’m not, but the cost really shouldn’t be considered a variable.

It’s been a minute since they added any ships for free xp. Wonder what’s next there? I’m kind of curious about Agir.

Agir is getting dumpstered hard by the skill rework if nothing changes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Agir was fantastic for the clan brawls that just ended but that's all I can say about that

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

So, I have the 25% off coupon to use on steel/coal ships (it doesn't apply to the research bureau??)

I have narrowed it down to two choices:

Somers - I wanted this for a while, fits my playstyle, and well...'Murica. Going away soon but probably is more likely to return as a coal ship??

FDR - Cancer that will get deleted for sure. Absolute cancer. Did I mention cancer?

Thoughts?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Nothing like being absolutely dumpstered in games tonight. Just every game was trash.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

CitizenKain posted:

Nothing like being absolutely dumpstered in games tonight. Just every game was trash.

CitizenPain

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Blindeye posted:

So, I have the 25% off coupon to use on steel/coal ships (it doesn't apply to the research bureau??)

Somers - I wanted this for a while, fits my playstyle, and well...'Murica. Going away soon but probably is more likely to return as a coal ship??

FDR - Cancer that will get deleted for sure. Absolute cancer. Did I mention cancer?

Thoughts?

I don't think anyone can in good conscience advise you to buy a carrier, ESPECIALLY the FDR. But its not like steel ships have a history of getting gutted, and you seem to like carriers based on that recent post so... just embrace your inner rear end in a top hat and follow your heart. It will draw hatred like no other, from everyone.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Zaodai posted:

I don't think anyone can in good conscience advise you to buy a carrier, ESPECIALLY the FDR. But its not like steel ships have a history of getting gutted, and you seem to like carriers based on that recent post so... just embrace your inner rear end in a top hat and follow your heart. It will draw hatred like no other, from everyone.

I want the FDR because I hate everyone else and also myself.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Zaodai posted:

I actually am meh about carriers (I'm likely a BB main but I enjoy cruiser/DD gameplay about as much).

But I also have no lines left to grind except British cruisers, the alt US BB line...and carriers.

So yeah. It's more about having FDR for our clan wars if we need it.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Blindeye posted:

Thoughts?

I’m one of the more dd focused goons, and Somers is pretty okay. Aggressively okay. You’ve got long duration/long cool down US smoke, 12 torps that reload faster than Gearing torps, but in exchange your AA is a guy with a Garland shooting into the air and your gun DPM is worse than a Clemson’s.

I just got the Somers clan wars camo because why not, but it’s not a ship I play because it’s fun. The Shima lets you choose between a couple options including the always fun F3 torps, has better guns, and lower concealment. The only thing Somers has is longer range/more effective torps in the 12-16.5 km range bracket.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Velius posted:

I’m one of the more dd focused goons, and Somers is pretty okay. Aggressively okay. You’ve got long duration/long cool down US smoke, 12 torps that reload faster than Gearing torps, but in exchange your AA is a guy with a Garland shooting into the air and your gun DPM is worse than a Clemson’s.

I just got the Somers clan wars camo because why not, but it’s not a ship I play because it’s fun. The Shima lets you choose between a couple options including the always fun F3 torps, has better guns, and lower concealment. The only thing Somers has is longer range/more effective torps in the 12-16.5 km range bracket.

Oh no, I'm getting cancer again, aren't I?

And I spent the weekend using the Benham in clan brawls.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I'd advise anyone with even a passing interest in CVs to go for FDR. I actually don't think it is much if any better than current MVR, but I do think MVR will gradually get nerfed back to at least Midway levels (although MIdway is also extremely powerful - IMO there's a big drop-off from Midway to current Hakuryuu & Audacious). Whereas the FDR won't really get nerfed.

The Stalingrad used to be the number one pick but Petropavlovsk has usurped it in the heavy cruiser department.

Bourgogne is very good and looks fun but it's not as good as Ohio or Thunderer (different playstyles completely I know, but those are the two best T10 BBs).

Edit: I have seen a surprising amount of bad FDRs in randoms. You'd think with it gated behind so much steel that wouldn't be the case.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 16, 2020

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Every FDR I have encountered has been an absolute garbage fire, and I’m glad I’ve never encountered gaishu or one of the other sky lords in it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Does anyone have thoughts on the Z-44? I'm most likely going to pick up the Marceau with my coal, but the Z-44 is there too. My only other choices are Yoshino or Salem, and I have an Azuma and DM, so while I know they have torps/superheal they are not too interesting for me.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It’s a German destroyer with no hydro. Hard pass.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

How do people like the Salem, especially compared to the Des Moines? I have a DM and like it alright, just wondering how it rates.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

That Works posted:

How do people like the Salem, especially compared to the Des Moines? I have a DM and like it alright, just wondering how it rates.

A little better heal for 8.5km radar, and no legendary mod. It's a side-grade but the playstyle is the same. If you have a DM I can't find a compelling reason to buy the Salem.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Having a Salem makes it easier to reset the DM's line because you aren't giving up a stronk DPS ship that you can take into clams.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I only just got my second t10 and have no research bureau yet so it sounds like the Salem isn't really worth going after for right now. Thanks for the info all

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Does anyone have thoughts on the Z-44? I'm most likely going to pick up the Marceau with my coal, but the Z-44 is there too. My only other choices are Yoshino or Salem, and I have an Azuma and DM, so while I know they have torps/superheal they are not too interesting for me.

Compared to the Z-46 you sacrifice a knot of speed, 20% of your gun damage, 0.2 concealment, and the sonar consumable in order to get 2 km extra range and 2 extra launchers on the world's shittiest torpedoes and "effective automatic anti-aircraft guns". How does that even qualify as a ship.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Yeah, Z-44 has nothing to recommend it right now. It’s a Fletcher with worse guns, worse smoke, worse DPM. The only thing it has is potentially higher torp output, and German torps aren’t bad, but torp ships in general kind of suck right now. Especially if your torps don’t kill things outright.

I got Neustrashimy for steel, I got Hayate and paid doubloons for an extra fancy camo for it that had no actual benefit, to illustrate my dd inclinations, and I have no interest in Z-44 right now.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

James Garfield posted:

Compared to the Z-46 you sacrifice a knot of speed, 20% of your gun damage, 0.2 concealment, and the sonar consumable in order to get 2 km extra range and 2 extra launchers on the world's shittiest torpedoes and "effective automatic anti-aircraft guns". How does that even qualify as a ship.

It does fit extremely well into the terrible German DD meta.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

CitizenKain posted:

It does fit extremely well into the terrible German DD meta.

This is a bad post. With the change to HE penetration the tech tree German dds are in a good place right now, with the exception being the 150mm gun ships. The Z-23 certainly isn’t a good ship, but aside from that the line is very solid, with the Z-46 in particular probably being a standout.

Z-44 is bad because it has for no good reason significantly lower HE DPM than the Z-35 a tier lower than itself, has no hydro, and bad concealment. For reference, I average 82k damage per game in the Z-35, which has short range torpedoes that stink, because the HE damage output is consistent and very high against most targets because it doesn’t rely on fires.

Velius fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Ugh, that's a shame. At first glance I was hoping for a higher tier T-61. Marceau it is then!