Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Toshimo posted:

It's very telling that neither of those were 1/10th as popular as AL.

it's really not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Surely metarules are the reason why organized play is popular now

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Subjunctive posted:

How many actual Beasts does Tome of Beasts have?
About a tomesworth

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, that's not horrible. Some CR 3 options will be nice in a couple of levels.

I think it's time to reskin some dinosaurs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

It's very telling that neither of those were 1/10th as popular as AL.

Okay, insofar as I don't think it'd be productive to have a debate over the relative popularity of organized play then-and-now, it's also the case that Pathfinder, which was the most popular organized play program in the RPG space before 5e's release (technically by sheer process of elimination), also had very few alternate rules changes governing it.

Max HP at level 1 was already a normal in-book rule, so the only big changes were again obliging the use of point-buy for stats, no evil characters, and Paizo's own form of milestone leveling.

The overall point I'm trying to make is that if your rules, by default, already cover most of everything you'll need to have an answer to any in-game question that might arise, then you don't really need whole separate document of extra/changed rules for organized play, because the game already works like that. This might not be the kind of game that you like, but if you're trying to do the thing that organized play tries to do, where players and characters are supposed to be interchangeable across DMs, it sort of comes with the territory.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 27, 2018

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

How many actual Beasts does Tome of Beasts have? I'm looking for more druid options, but I can't tell from the preview if there are many that are appropriate for such use.

For druid fun I'd suggest looking into whether your DM would be willing to houserule that you can also wild shape into monstrosities that don't explicitly say they were magically created or have significant intelligence, at least above 7. My DM let me do that for my Underdark Circle of the Moon druid, which opened up stuff like the ankheg, carrion crawler, rust monster, and bulette. Plenty of monstrosities are essentially integrated into the world's ecology at this point, even if they were magically introduced, so it's not a stretch to think that druids would accept their existence. Most of them that fit under the above criteria aren't too crazy, either.

If you did that, though, you'd probably also want your DM to look over the options you've selected. Mine let me add an umber hulk to my list, but yours may not be cool with the vision effect.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I dunno if I'll ever DM for AL but I know I could never hold myself to those rules, wotc regulations be damned. If you wanna storm off from the table because I let a guy be a kobold bladesinger and gave out cool magic items, I suppose I understand, but good riddance!!!

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So what's the deal with level progression at AL events? It looks like you're supposed to start from level 1 and play your character indefinitely. So does that mean party composition is just based on whoever shows up at the table?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Modules have level ranges based on tier so you gotta join a table running at the right tier.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So what's the deal with level progression at AL events? It looks like you're supposed to start from level 1 and play your character indefinitely. So does that mean party composition is just based on whoever shows up at the table?

Yep

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
lol if you think AL is bad, please don't look at the Shadowrun 5e equivalent. There are TONS of rule changes for SR Missions, a lot of which were necessary because of how completely non-sensical some of the SR5 rules were. Like, the 1st printing of the core book had horrible typos and possibly whole sections of rules missing. The Missions community had to crowdsource an unofficial errata just so they could create characters.

From what I've read of AL, it seems dreamy compared to that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
AL rulings are fairly sensible and the only one that really draws criticism is PHB+1, which is not one I particularly endorse but can certainly see the reasoning for.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
PHB+1 seems like an odd rule to implement considering it's a company in the business of selling books.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Reik posted:

PHB+1 seems like an odd rule to implement considering it's a company in the business of selling books.

Rather than trying to exploit a hardcore base like Paizo does, they went the route of wanting to appeal to newcomers and casual players, for which AL is considered an entry point, so PHB+1 is to avoid overwhelming them with splat creep. It makes sense.

Having played a Bladesinger with Shadow Blade I can also see the arguments for balance, or more accurately the lack of thereof, but that feels like an afterthought compared to splat creep concerns.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So what's the deal with Mithral Splint mail +1 that it's so dangerous and disruptive to the game it ends up on the same list as a Deck of Many things?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Reik posted:

5e is a reactionary edition, and the PHB+1 rule is based on the internet trope of characters cobbled together from three different splatbooks and two different Dragon magazine articles

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

unseenlibrarian posted:

So what's the deal with Mithral Splint mail +1 that it's so dangerous and disruptive to the game it ends up on the same list as a Deck of Many things?

It was basically added as a mistake. It's the only piece of +1 (or higher) Mithral armor in the entire AL ecosystem, so they decided to correct that mistake and remove it entirely.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

Rather than trying to exploit a hardcore base like Paizo does, they went the route of wanting to appeal to newcomers and casual players, for which AL is considered an entry point, so PHB+1 is to avoid overwhelming them with splat creep. It makes sense.

lol

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
PHB+1 sucks balls bc it means very few people use the monstrous races from Volo’s since XGE is a way better +1.

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 27, 2018

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Conspiratiorist posted:

Its actually because a real book release schedule is impossible when you employee six people and releases are significantly delayed cause one guy had jury duty. Wizards only holds onto the d&d ip cause they expect it to yield big money on some fever dream future product.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kaysette posted:

PHB+1 sucks balls bc it means very few people use the monstrous races from Volo’s since XGE is a way better +1.
Yup, they couldn't put any racial feats for the Volo's monsters in XGE because it would lay bare how dumb it was. So they released them as Beyond exclusives.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Just got my one shot for tomorrow written into my notebook. Stoked to run for my third time ever.

Squidtentacle posted:

underwater mimics. Coral, sunken chests, maybe even whole shipwrecks.

Absolutely all in the scenario, this is that real adventure poo poo.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I've ran the adventure from The Tortle Package with two groups now and they both liked it. You could pull some ideas from there, look up the final encounter in Dangwaru and the two-headed Plesiosaurus fight in the High Horn (which I gave an additional ranged breathe weapon).

This was good. Turned the Plesiosaurus into a massive eel from the local lore and turned that second bite attack into a crashing wave that knocks the PCs around. They are level 2 and 3 characters so I'm not trying to stack up the damage so much as the harrowing feeling of being in over your head.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Splicer posted:

Yup, they couldn't put any racial feats for the Volo's monsters in XGE because it would lay bare how dumb it was. So they released them as Beyond exclusives.

PHB +1 is just an AL rule, that wouldn't have stopped them from putting Volo's race feats in there.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Splicer posted:

I am so unreasonably mad that you told me this because the literal worst feeling in the world is finding out my Bugbear Assassin cannot be a Master of Napping.

He's probably still a Master of Kidnapping, tho.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
So are there any quick guides to Eberron online? My dm has been running new settings for our next campaign by us and while I haven't liked what little I've seen of it I think I should try to give it a fair shake before chiming in on the subject.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Conspiratiorist posted:

AL rulings are fairly sensible and the only one that really draws criticism is PHB+1, which is not one I particularly endorse but can certainly see the reasoning for.

Same

Part of the reason 3e crashed and burned (mind you after decades of fun time), is you optimized by taking something from x book and then from y book.

PHB+1 was an attempt to avoid having to go over everything with a fine tooth comb.

I always got the feeling that their resolution would be following the palladium route, that they would compile books they already published so you could use them within the rule set and sell more product. But again, no idea if that is their ultimate plan.

and yesh, how hard would have it been to include an additional sheet that's a free web enhancement that you download for your racial feats if you thought of it after the fact?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was against the PHB+1 rule until I got into Pathfinder. Holy fuckkkkk. If I didn't have a pile of money to dump on hobbies, there is NO WAY I could have ever gotten into PFS. Like ever.

The new AL changes are pretty good, they saw how well it works in PFS, and ported it over.

AL is incredibly cool, and they do a ton of fun events and works fantastic for 'Cons. Any game that can get a few hundred people all working together to finish a huge epic adventure will always get a thumbs up from me. You only need to show up alone with a character and you can be a part of it all. It doesn't need a weekly group of people to game with. Likewise you can also show up with a buddy or two and game together as well! It's all-inclusive.

I also love the home brew games I'm in.

D&D is good and fun.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think the only charm 3e has in retrospect is this giant kusoge element, where there's all this crap that was never tested and never meant to be combined, so you can do some real wacky stuff because WotC couldn't be assed to have a consistent writing team.

One day I want to run a 3e campaign where everyone starts at level 1 with only the PHB, but at end of every session everyone levels up and the DM picks a splatbook and all player options on level up have to be picked from that one book. All prerequisites for everything are waived, and a new splatbook is picked for every level.

The campaign ends when the DM dies of an aneurysm trying to figure out how anything works anymore.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I feel like some people are forgetting the most broken stuff in 3.x was in the Player's Handbook.

Adventurer's League has some SERIOUSLY TERRIBLE rules. The PHB +1 is just one of many. It means that certain things that seem like they were designed to work together, simply can't be taken because they came out in different books. Of course one of the worst is that you come into the game at level 1. The party is level 4 and you join in? Level 1! You died and wasn't able to get resurrected? Level 1! Your group is doing an adventure and half the party dies in one section, and comes back at level 1, and the other half die in another section and come back at level 1, you just have to continue on in the level 3 or 4 section with a party of level 1s.

It gets worse at higher levels because you CANNOT play in a 2nd tier game when you are tier 1, or tier 3. This also means if you are in a 5th level or higher game, die, and don't manage to get resurrected, you cannot play anymore. Because you would have to come in with a level 1 character, but the level 1 character cannot play with the level 5+ characters.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
A lot of people were hoping the switch to milestone leveling by time played would also include cross-tier play, but alas...

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

shades of eternity posted:

Demons & Devils & Dungeons & Dragons: A Brief History

As a response to the release of Mordenkainen's tome of Foes, the Plot Points podcast did a fantastic job of breaking it down and wanted to let the world know as best I can.

https://plotpoints.libsyn.com/demons-devils-dungeons-dragons-a-brief-history-pt-1

https://plotpoints.libsyn.com/demons-devils-dungeons-dragons-a-brief-history-part-ii

I'm kinda amazed whom he was able to record with.

I enjoyed this by the way, thanks for posting it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My opinion on PHB+1 is that it's a reasonable, possibly even good idea, very poorly executed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My opinion on [aspect of 5E] is that it's a reasonable, possibly even good idea, very poorly executed.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Sadly not every book is created equal. If I wanted to be a turtle with booming blade is that technically a no go?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Novum posted:

Sadly not every book is created equal. If I wanted to be a turtle with booming blade is that technically a no go?

Yeah no go... But tortles are considered part of Xanathar's, so you can use all of that

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Not having every book for pathfinder was okay because d20pfsrd.com exists.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Hey guys, I really want to make a character that uses a spear (and the Spear Mastery feat) to attack things. Using Booming Blade or Smites or being a monk is totally fine, or being a Hexblade or some other wacky idea you have (Valor Bard :getin:). My question is, what would be the best class to do this with? What would give me the most options and the most "cool stuff" to do as part of a party? I know Fighter is a huge dead end when it comes to social interactions thanks to 5e design, so what else can I do? Hexblade? Paladin? Monk?

It doesn't have to be an unstoppable juggernaut, and if you think it would be wiser to use a glaive and take PAM uh...I guess? I like the visual of someone wielding a simple spear and looking totally unassuming and then stabbing/smacking the poo poo out of people, but I guess I could always just say the "glaive" is a spear.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Ryuujin posted:

I feel like some people are forgetting the most broken stuff in 3.x was in the Player's Handbook.

Ban the PHB classes. Get rid of wizards, druids, clerics and fighters. Checks out.

inthesto posted:

One day I want to run a 3e campaign where everyone starts at level 1 with only the PHB, but at end of every session everyone levels up and the DM picks a splatbook and all player options on level up have to be picked from that one book. All prerequisites for everything are waived, and a new splatbook is picked for every level.

Level 2 book: Epic Level Handbook

Edit: Wait, is it must pick? Book of Erotic Fantasies.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ryuujin posted:

Adventurer's League has some SERIOUSLY TERRIBLE rules. The PHB +1 is just one of many. It means that certain things that seem like they were designed to work together, simply can't be taken because they came out in different books. Of course one of the worst is that you come into the game at level 1. The party is level 4 and you join in? Level 1! You died and wasn't able to get resurrected? Level 1! Your group is doing an adventure and half the party dies in one section, and comes back at level 1, and the other half die in another section and come back at level 1, you just have to continue on in the level 3 or 4 section with a party of level 1s.

It gets worse at higher levels because you CANNOT play in a 2nd tier game when you are tier 1, or tier 3. This also means if you are in a 5th level or higher game, die, and don't manage to get resurrected, you cannot play anymore. Because you would have to come in with a level 1 character, but the level 1 character cannot play with the level 5+ characters.

People that play AL typically have multiple characters across multiple tiers. You can also get faction resurrected as well, and the new rules allow debt to do it if you don’t have the money for it. You just have to pay it off before you can get treasure. Previously you would get free faction resurrections pre 5th. Post 5th spell services were cheap enough. Dying in AL is pretty hard unless your group is truly dumb. What you posted really doesn’t happen ever.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
None of that stuff is really true. Yes if you actually have a Faction and are below level 5 you can be resurrected by your Faction, if someone bothers to do that for you. In my experience that rarely comes up. And death can happen a lot.

There is no guarantee that someone playing will still have a character from whatever tier available with all the paperwork to throw into a game. I have almost never seen this happen in the last two years.

I am unaware of these new rules about going into debt to get resurrected, I did not remember seeing this when I was looking at the new AL rules. But getting no treasure until it is payed off sounds rather unpleasant.

You say post 5th spell services were cheap enough, but it is not cheap to get resurrected. And in my of my post 4th level experience I have not actually had the gold to pay for resurrections.

Dying in AL is not hard at all. I have seen many deaths in the last two years. The adventures are not exactly well designed, one group could curbstomp a scene, and another could get repeatedly ground to dust by it.

Saying what I posted really doesn't happen ever is just plain wrong, as I have witnessed it repeatedly. In fact my 9th level character only survived one adventure because the DM handwaived a Wish scroll to bring them back, from a death to a creature that theoretically should not have been able to kill them as the character had 20 Intelligence and could not fail the roll against an Intellect Devourer.