Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://9to5google.com/2018/10/17/pixel-3-titan-m-chip-technical-specs/amp/my

Titan M has direct electrical connections to the side buttons on the Pixel and is capable of being used for 2FA.

Basically, that means your phone could essentially become a Titan Security Key.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/17/ifixits-pixel-3-xl-teardown-reveals-samsung-made-screen/

Looks like the smaller Pixel has an LG screen. I look forward to the influx of complaints about them even though they were universally praised by reviews.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Titan M has direct electrical connections to the side buttons on the Pixel and is capable of being used for 2FA.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/17/ifixits-pixel-3-xl-teardown-reveals-samsung-made-screen/

Looks like the smaller Pixel has an LG screen. I look forward to the influx of complaints about them even though they were universally praised by reviews.

This ties into the Pixelbook's key also being able to be used for 2FA. However, people claim it's not as secure as a real Bluetooth or USB key?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

bull3964 posted:

Well there goes that theory on the price increase. Side by side its definitely cooler than the somewhat warm color on my Pixel, but it looks fine to me so far.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's still a custom display and Google dumped a ton of money into LG to improve things. So, yeah, it still likely was a huge chunk of the price increase.

There's also a third possibility, Google might be sourcing panels from both suppliers for both models. It's not unheard of. It's rumored that's what Apple did for this year.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 17, 2018

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
P3XL: So far I'm a huge fan of the storage speed increase. It's notable, especially when copying files over to the desktop.

Android device migration is still a poo poo show. Better than it once was, but still gotta log back into everything and change settings and all that crap.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FunOne posted:

P3XL: So far I'm a huge fan of the storage speed increase. It's notable, especially when copying files over to the desktop.

Android device migration is still a poo poo show. Better than it once was, but still gotta log back into everything and change settings and all that crap.

Curious. What device did you migrate from? From my Pixel to Pixel 2XL, or 2XL to 2XL, I had no issues and didn't have to log back into anything. It even synced some game progress.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

Curious. What device did you migrate from? From my Pixel to Pixel 2XL, or 2XL to 2XL, I had no issues and didn't have to log back into anything. It even synced some game progress.
I ordered a 2XL last year and the transfer did not work at all. It worked fine from my 6P to XL, and XL to replacement XL, but XL to 2XL failed every time. Not that it mattered, I returned it because the display shifted horribly blue at my natural viewing angle.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I couldn't even get the cable device transfer to work on my pixel xl to pixel 3 xl. I just restored a recent backup from Google drive instead

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

I ordered a 2XL last year and the transfer did not work at all. It worked fine from my 6P to XL, and XL to replacement XL, but XL to 2XL failed every time. Not that it mattered, I returned it because the display shifted horribly blue at my natural viewing angle.

Weird. I've used what vyst said, "restore from previous cloud backup" when I'm setting up the new device, and it's worked really well. Sounds inconsistent, like half of Android.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The cable transfer from my pixel 1 to pixel 3 worked fine, other than the fact that I had to have the pixel nearly fully charged first because its iffy battery kept draining quickly and shut down at around 30%.

Liking my pixel 3 so far, with one exception: there is really really annoying vibration when the speaker is being used.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gf hates her essential. Koodo has the P20 which she likes for $0 at her tab level right now and she is thinking about getting it. Should we wait it out a little longer for black friday?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

codo27 posted:

Gf hates her essential. Koodo has the P20 which she likes for $0 at her tab level right now and she is thinking about getting it. Should we wait it out a little longer for black friday?

What does she not like about her Essential?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

AlexDeGruven posted:

Same. It's a bill credit up to $799/24 on the added line.

So it's monthly? Isn't the fi up front?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ilkhan posted:

So it's monthly? Isn't the fi up front?

I think so, but still bill credit, so you'll have to stay on Fi a while to get the full value too

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

First link is 404 for me

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Weird, they changed the URL.

https://9to5google.com/2018/10/17/pixel-3-titan-m-chip-technical-specs/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

beaner69 posted:

Hey y'all, what's a good phone for $400 max? Preferably sprint but willing to get it on GSM. Sprints website had an s8+ pre-owned for 400 but it's out if stock.

I'd sell my pixel 2 XL for $450, plus a few bucks shipping. You'd have to wait until my P3 arrives, which I'd buy if you wanted my 2 XL.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Weird. I've used what vyst said, "restore from previous cloud backup" when I'm setting up the new device, and it's worked really well. Sounds inconsistent, like half of Android.

What? I did the cable thing and had to go into each app and log back in or connect or whatever. Welcome screens, tutorials, whole thing. WhatsApp, teams, outlook, OneDrive, Twitter, Instagram, nest, Plex, AA, Uber, etc.

Edit: P2XL, had same experience from P1 to P2 also.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

How old does a phone have to be before you no longer consider buying it second hand, and why?

Is it primarily battery / update concerns?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How old does a phone have to be before you no longer consider buying it second hand, and why?

Is it primarily battery / update concerns?

Probably 1 year or so, and yes for both of those reasons but primarily updates.

That said, trading in a Pixel n to Google for Pixel n+1 is super easy since you're not worrying about making someone happy with their purchase.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'd sell my pixel 2 XL for $450, plus a few bucks shipping. You'd have to wait until my P3 arrives, which I'd buy if you wanted my 2 XL.

I would but 400 is my highest and I need it kinda fast.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

This ties into the Pixelbook's key also being able to be used for 2FA. However, people claim it's not as secure as a real Bluetooth or USB key?

“It’s not as secure” boils down to your threat model.

Certainly, if someone has stolen your laptop/phone and your password, and if your 2FA token is built into your device, then they’ve got all the pieces of the puzzle. Or if it’s not built into your device, but you just have a yubikey in your laptop bag.

But for most people, 2FA is to stop someone on the other side of the world who just phished you.

If I were a high profile public figure, journalist, or politician, I’d not use built in functionality. I’d use a plain old U2F key and store it away from my devices. I’m not any of those things, though, so I use the built in U2F functionality in my Pixelbook and don’t lose sleep over it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

beaner69 posted:

I would but 400 is my highest and I need it kinda fast.

https://swappa.com/listing/BEN143/view - $380 Pixel 2 XL (64GB, Unlocked)

That's cheaper than even the smaller Pixel 2s I'm seeing. The lowest there is $410.

Looks like that has some scuffs and minor scratches on the screen you can see in sunlight, but that, to me anyway, is the best phone you're gonna find for $400.

I bought my 128GB P2XL for $460, includes all the original accessories, 3 cases, and a year of Pixel Protect.

kitten smoothie posted:

“It’s not as secure” boils down to your threat model.

Certainly, if someone has stolen your laptop/phone and your password, and if your 2FA token is built into your device, then they’ve got all the pieces of the puzzle. Or if it’s not built into your device, but you just have a yubikey in your laptop bag.

But for most people, 2FA is to stop someone on the other side of the world who just phished you.

If I were a high profile public figure, journalist, or politician, I’d not use built in functionality. I’d use a plain old U2F key and store it away from my devices. I’m not any of those things, though, so I use the built in U2F functionality in my Pixelbook and don’t lose sleep over it.

(Your post has a LOT of boxes...)

Yeah, I agree with your post. I can't always get the U2F functionality in my Pixelbook to work but I guess it does?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

grack posted:

What does she not like about her Essential?

Its mainly superficial, though she has never gotten great wifi or cell reception compared to me (S7, P2), has some random reboots and has grown weary of the overall shape and size.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yeah the radio reception is the Essential's fatal flaw

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My P3 XL arrived, nth-ing the "holy gently caress the screen is real nice"

I've had OLED screens before but I think only back in the day when Samsung was still allowed to make Nexus phones. This is like going from my bad old HTC Hero to the Samsung Sprint Galaxy S Epic 4G.

The back/frame is grippier than the previous Pixels but still has some slip with dry skin. If you're not the type to get lovely dry-skin hands or live in a swamp climate then it's good.

The transfer process was solid as hell, I'm posting from the new phone and didn't have to log into the forums again so they probably also managed to move everything important.

Yo this thing is big af compared to the reg P2:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That spot that looks like a notification light appears to be some kind of non-visible light emitter (proximity sensor maybe?) that the P3 camera is picking up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

codo27 posted:

Its mainly superficial, though she has never gotten great wifi or cell reception compared to me (S7, P2), has some random reboots and has grown weary of the overall shape and size.

The P20 is a pretty decent phone. Good camera, good performance and reception should be better. I'd see if you can find a demo to try, though; Huawei's launcher is pretty smooth but heavily customized and they just love filling their phones with superfluous crap software that can't be disabled. Nothing really egregious, but stuff that duplicates a lot of functionality of Google core apps.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

grack posted:

The P20 is a pretty decent phone. Good camera, good performance and reception should be better. I'd see if you can find a demo to try, though; Huawei's launcher is pretty smooth but heavily customized and they just love filling their phones with superfluous crap software that can't be disabled. Nothing really egregious, but stuff that duplicates a lot of functionality of Google core apps.

Can you unlock the bootloader on the P20?

I've been toying with the idea of getting one.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I just got that famed customer service from google.

I had to cancel my initial pre-order from right after the event because that was support's only way for me to add the protection plan on which hadn't added to my cart correctly the first time. I paid for expedited, and now it's pushed back two weeks for delivery into november.

So glad I paid extra for a massive delay because they couldn't fix their initial messup.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Samsung screens in the P3 go a fair way to explaining the extra $150.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Dilber posted:

I just got that famed customer service from google.

I had to cancel my initial pre-order from right after the event because that was support's only way for me to add the protection plan on which hadn't added to my cart correctly the first time. I paid for expedited, and now it's pushed back two weeks for delivery into november.

So glad I paid extra for a massive delay because they couldn't fix their initial messup.

I ordered at 9:55am right after the event and my order just updated to expected delivery of Nov 8-9 instead of Oct 22-24, so they might have pushed your order back either way!

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Khablam posted:

The Samsung screens in the P3 go a fair way to explaining the extra $150.

The P3 has an LG screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I love the fabric case so much more on both the smaller size and this year's model in general. The lack of 3d glass makes the edges far less intrusive.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Wasn't there a review or at least a tweet that had two P3s side by side with same settings and had clear variations in the color/tint?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

BabyFur Denny posted:

The P3 has an LG screen.
RIP my attempt to explain that, then.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I love the fabric case so much more on both the smaller size and this year's model in general. The lack of 3d glass makes the edges far less intrusive.

The 3D glass of the P2XL kind of makes me excited. How is that, honestly?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Even with the same manufacturer, you can have variances device to device. Photos aren't always the best way to see this stuff either as a camera records light differently than we see. When I compared side by side in the store, it was really hard to spot much, if any, difference between them.

Suffice it to say though, the display on the smaller 3 is amazing and can hold its own with the bigger phone. It's still a flagship level panel no matter how people might want to dissect them.

ThermoPhysical posted:

The 3D glass of the P2XL kind of makes me excited. How is that, honestly?

Personally, I never really liked to all that much except when I was using a case that didn't provide any screen protection (stopped at the metal surrounded.) It really leaves to much of a pit for pocket lint to collect.

It's different and has the novelty factor going for it, but I'm happy to be back with normal glass.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 18, 2018

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

RichterIX posted:

Folks that already got their Pixel-- did you have to sign for the delivery? If I'm not home my landlord will sign for it but the office closes super early so I need to know if I should make arrangements.

I had to, but mine was delivered to my office and we have to sign for everything from FedEx usually.

heffray posted:

I ordered at 9:55am right after the event and my order just updated to expected delivery of Nov 8-9 instead of Oct 22-24, so they might have pushed your order back either way!

Shipping times seem really random. I ordered mine during the event, then cancelled it because I thought I could hold on with the OG Pixel, but then I got another bootloop hiccup. Re-ordered 2 days after the event. Original delivery estimate was Oct- 22-24, then on Monday this week it changed to Nov 1st (as did the Pixel stand), then on Tuesday I got shipping confirmation saying it would arrive today. Pixel Stand arrived before I even got the shipping confirmation and phone arrived this morning. Oddly enough the tracking on the Pixel Stand now says there was a issue with the label locally and it's now rescheduled for delivery tomorrow....even though I already got it and I definitely didn't order two of them.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

lol I preordered my PXL like last Thursday and I got it yesterday. That sucks if you preordered after the event and they push you back.