Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Phanatic posted:

Everyone involved in that decision should be in prison.

It's pretty clear that the way they were able to put "self-driving cars" on the streets was to simplify things in their programming so the car didn't have to deal with as many variables. Waymo's had cars on the road for 7 years now and they still don't claim their cars are able to fully drive themselves safely. They (Waymo) just got the go-ahead a few months ago from the DMV to start putting their cars out without any driver and they haven't confirmed if they've actually done that yet. If you read what they've said over the years, the simple fact is there are so many variable situations in driving that claiming your car is able to handle all of them is simply not workable at this current moment (and essentially Waymo's just been gathering data for years on how driving situations can unfold). Instead of doing that, Uber just removed any variables that would make the system harder to program / manage and harder for the car to make decisions with. So their driving model says "pedestrians are only in crosswalks". Great, fine, you removed a whole bunch of complexity and your car can now operate itself. Except...you don't control the loving real world, so guess what, your model is wrong and unlike a phone app when your model is wrong on a self-driving car, people die. Uber just depended on the human at the wheel to take care of those gaps in the model, except the human said "great, car drives itself, I can watch movies, this job is cake", because yeah that's exactly what a low-paid employee is gonna do if the car has been driving itself fine for months.

VVVV the point is that Americans don't know how four-way stops work. No one knows the right-of-way rules, so "person arriving first goes first, if you arrive at the same time person to the right goes first, people going straight have right-of-way over turners" is just not a thing that Americans are very familiar with due to our lovely driver-education system. 4-way stops (and downed traffic lights) in general just turn into games of chicken about who's gonna dart into the intersection first and so it becomes thunderdome and you get a bunch more accidents than you should.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

PittTheElder posted:

Is this just because Americans are terrible drivers? That's what we do in Canada and it works fine.

Yeah I want to know what exactly is being implied too.
Fellow :canada: and 'treat it as a 4 way stop' is kind of crucial.

What are the alternatives? Accelerate, horn, close eyes?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DarkDobe posted:

Dunno what these other fools are talking about, that's how it's handled in the US too; yeah you get some assholes that will just follow the car infront of them immediately but I assume assholes are everywhere.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you put a few orange cones in the middle of the intersection and it is now a roundabout

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Except...you don't control the loving real world, so guess what, your model is wrong and unlike a phone app when your model is wrong on a self-driving car, people die. Uber just depended on the human at the wheel to take care of those gaps in the model, except the human said "great, car drives itself, I can watch movies, this job is cake", because yeah that's exactly what a low-paid employee is gonna do if the car has been driving itself fine for months.

And that's what everyone is going to do, so the whole model where "if the car suddenly doesn't know what to do it will alert the human who will take the wheel" is fundamentally broken.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really wish my job site didn’t have a no-cell phones no-photos policy. We had a weld failure on a high-pressure steam pipe and a 27-pound valve rocketed into the ceiling. And stayed there. It was impressive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

CEASE FIRE BITCH

Congratulations; it’s a range safety officer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpUuym8rS-s

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Phanatic posted:

And that's what everyone is going to do, so the whole model where "if the car suddenly doesn't know what to do it will alert the human who will take the wheel" is fundamentally broken.

Yup usually the moment I'm woken up from sleep I can't even tell what day it is, let alone assume control of a vehicle headed toward disaster.

Ever been up in the cab of a running locomotive? Looks cool from the ground, but it's actually boring as heck if you're just sitting there with no job to do. The engineer has to balance power and brake applications with the train forces, the conductor is on the radio with dispatch/other trains and has paperwork for the consist. I was in track maintenance, and I was riding along to give the track a visual inspection without tying up the tracks with a work truck. The track was straight, the scenery dull, and music radios are forbidden - I kept catching myself falling asleep because it was so loving boring. This is going to be _every car_ with "full self-driving" enabled.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 8, 2019

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

One of the ironies of automation has always been that you tend to automate the easier stuff first, so when you fall into dangerous situations, you're usually thrown there on short notice, with an eroded skillset you haven't had to practice in a while because it is only useful in rare emergencies.

Another one is that if you require constant monitoring of your process (especially if it's a 1:1 case like a car with a passenger in it, rather than an industrial process where one person may monitor dozens of automatons), then you have not automated that much since you still need to be around with full attention for the task to be done. In such cases, it's often better to automate some repetitive actions that could take focus away rather than automating 90% of the stuff but still requiring full attention.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Sagebrush posted:

lol no. americans are such lovely drivers that you have to have reminder signs like that all over the place. i see them at many intersections in san francisco.

another fun one is "vehicles must stop on red signal," usually mounted in a place where people regularly barrel through a red light into a right turn because right on red is legal!!!

or the graphical ones showing turn arrows that amount to "stay in your goddamned lane during a turn, the intersection isn't a free-for-all"

Keep in mind though there are lovely drivers, then there's San Francisco drivers. It's the one place on Earth I regret driving in because of the constant honking, terrible driving, rude assholes, ultra congestion, see I'm getting pissed just thinking about it.

Anyway, I got behind someone holding a red flag on with a big rear end C-clamp today. I'm not sure if it's technically illegal, but the way teh thing was bouncing up and down from its own weight had me backing off quite a bit.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

DarkDobe posted:

Our licensing is done by individual state, not a unified system. poo poo is all over the place. A situation could be meant to work out one way some place and a different way elsewhere.
Certain things like right on red after stop wouldn't even occur to some Americans. Basic stuff is the same, but people latch a bunch of weird poo poo onto it.

What I see here more than all-red-on-fault is one street will be flashing red (proceed after stop) and the cross-street will be flashing yellow (proceed if clear).

The way our (US) crap works is that the law states who you should yield to, not when you should go. Is that the same in Canada?

Also, is there something special about Quebec drivers? Fuckers drive like rear end down here.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20190908X51027

The pilot reported, that while maneuvering at a low altitude in an aerial applicator airplane, he dumped about 350 gallons of pink water for a gender reveal. The airplane "got too slow", aerodynamically stalled, impacted terrain, and came to rest inverted.
The Federal Aviation Administration inspector reported that the accident occurred during a low pass for a gender reveal celebration. He added that there were two persons on board the single seat airplane.

Ban gender

I'm still getting over the idea of "gender reveal parties". Like, babies don't have gender, and while it's pretty normal and OK to gender them according to the sex they're assigned at birth as they grow up, it seems weird to make a huge thing about it.

I'd also literally never heard of them until a few months ago, and never outside the context of the USA. Are they intentional anti-LGBTQ propaganda, or just part of general social intolerance?

Either way, lol at it causing plane crashes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

madeintaipei posted:

Certain things like right on red after stop wouldn't even occur to some Americans.

:staredog:

quote:

The way our (US) crap works is that the law states who you should yield to, not when you should go. Is that the same in Canada?

Also, is there something special about Quebec drivers? Fuckers drive like rear end down here.

Canada's rules are also along the lines of 'this is who you yield to', at least here in Alberta (our provinces all license separately, like the states). The only things that stand out to me about Quebec is that they usually don't do right-on-red at all. Also the average driver seems less likely to yield to pedestrians but that feels like a general east coast thing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DarkDobe posted:

Nobody does it. The people on the main road usually just whiz by, and the smaller roads need to merge in and pray to their respective gods.

If it's an intersection of two main roads, you better pray that someone gets there soon to start directing traffic.

During Sandy tons of PSAs went out about what to do and everyone ignored it. I followed the law for about 10 minutes but I got tired of nearly getting rear ended or tboned every time I reached a light

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Actually, I now realize any yield rules discussion with anyone living in North America falls apart real quick since you guys don't have automatic priority to the right yielding in place which is like the backbone of intersections here. It's a rule that's one of the most universal and basic things you learn about driving and one that is completely impossible to forget about since it's default behavior in the absence of any other signs or context clues.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Tyson Tomko posted:

Anyway, I got behind someone holding a red flag on with a big rear end C-clamp today. I'm not sure if it's technically illegal,
afaik Chinese flags are legal in all 50 states

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ruflux posted:

Actually, I now realize any yield rules discussion with anyone living in North America falls apart real quick since you guys don't have automatic priority to the right yielding in place which is like the backbone of intersections here. It's a rule that's one of the most universal and basic things you learn about driving and one that is completely impossible to forget about since it's default behavior in the absence of any other signs or context clues.

We do

Respecting it is another story

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Powershift posted:

Never trust a fart, earth edition.

"you won't get stuck under that bridge, it's too high"

sure showed him

i know that bridge and have no idea how that could happen unless dude was trying to make a u-turn

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BgRdMchne posted:

i know that bridge and have no idea how that could happen unless dude was trying to make a u-turn

What does the approach look like?

Caught the cab corner on the attic, figured he could get the whole truck out by sticking bits of it at a time under the high point, didn't ask for help, topped the truck, got fired. Back driving for another company Monday morning.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ruflux posted:

We do have yielding to the right in the US. If two cars get to the intersection at the same time, the person furthest to the right goes first. The problem is when people make up their own rules like "going straight, you can wait" or dumb poo poo like that, or people who insist on giving up their turn to let other people go. Or the people who get to the intersection, jab their brakes to slow down more than they were going and then roll through. That last one really pisses me off. When I get to an intersection, fully stop, and start going. Then someone who was 10 feet behind me is already going too. You didn't stop, rear end in a top hat. If driving in the US was seen more as a privilege rather than as a right or essential freedom, then more people would follow the rules.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DarkDobe posted:

If the traffic lights don't work, you follow the normal signs which are there in case of a blackout? It practically never is a four way stop, someone has to yield by default if traffic lights are there. Well at least round these parts :finland:

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Cojawfee posted:

If driving in the US was seen more as a privilege rather than as a right or essential freedom, then more people would follow the rules.

Have you considered that maybe they’re not driving, they’re traveling?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nenonen posted:

If the traffic lights don't work, you follow the normal signs which are there in case of a blackout? It practically never is a four way stop, someone has to yield by default if traffic lights are there. Well at least round these parts :finland:

You are stealing JerryCotton's line dammit!

I have Jerry on ignore, just so I can guess the Finnish-ism he drops before I read it. Kinda annoying clicking through every post, but there are more hits than misses.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm still getting over the idea of "gender reveal parties". Like, babies don't have gender, and while it's pretty normal and OK to gender them according to the sex they're assigned at birth as they grow up, it seems weird to make a huge thing about it.

I'd also literally never heard of them until a few months ago, and never outside the context of the USA. Are they intentional anti-LGBTQ propaganda, or just part of general social intolerance?

Either way, lol at it causing plane crashes.

gender reveal parties are, to my knowledge, exclusively a flyover state thing, and they probably exist because life in those states is just an endless chain of backbreaking labor and opioids until you die and the child-rearing process is the one thing that breaks it up, so they want to make as many parties out of it as they can. wedding shower - bachelor/ette party - wedding - vow renewals - baby shower - gender reveal party - baby's birth - baby's first birthday - etc etc.

the anti-LGBTQ aspect of it is just a bonus for the more chudly types.

in any case, the really important part of that accident report is that the Air Tractor is a fairly cramped single-seat airplane but two people were involved in the crash, which means the pilot had someone riding on his lap.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

madeintaipei posted:

You are stealing JerryCotton's line dammit!

I have Jerry on ignore, just so I can guess the Finnish-ism he drops before I read it. Kinda annoying clicking through every post, but there are more hits than misses.

"Kinda annoying, guessable" is the best we can strive to be

:finland:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Phanatic posted:

Ah but you see "driver takes the wheel in an unexpected event" is written policy therefore it's entirely the driver's fault for not adhering to this policy.

Policy is neutral and blameless, and not the result of decisions by people.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

One of the ironies of automation has always been that you tend to automate the easier stuff first, so when you fall into dangerous situations, you're usually thrown there on short notice, with an eroded skillset you haven't had to practice in a while because it is only useful in rare emergencies.

A lot of pilots these days as soon as they get a job flying anything with an autopilot basically end up not really doing much and flying between gear up and crossing the fence. This has lead to a huge reduction in pilot skill which has lead to some accidents due to the atrophy of basic aviation skills.

Some people in the industry are calling for letting the pilots fly the loving airplane more but companies are resistant because every mile flown under autopilot is just a hair cheaper.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Are they intentional anti-LGBTQ propaganda, or just part of general social intolerance?

Neither? If you have a baby everybody asks "is it a boy or a girl?" If you're obviously pregnant many people will ask "do you know if it's a boy or a girl?" Because, you know, they want to seem politely interested but there isn't actually much to say about a fetus or newborn.

It's just a question people ask. Like asking a little kid how old they are or what grade they are in. It doesn't actually matter to random adults whether the kid is 5 or 7, it's just what you ask. It's not intended as intolerance or propaganda.

I suppose it would be more accurate to call them Sex Reveal Parties, but that could be confusing in other ways.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, except Uber and Tesla cars aren't even alerting anybody. They will happily plow into obstacles at full or nearly full speed because both have a sensor suite which is so poo poo that they can't reliably avoid obstacles on the road. Everyone involved in the decision to put the Uber car on the road while it had no capability to detect and avoid colliding into a person should have been prosecuted for manslaughter.

Waymo actually decided years ago that they are not going to field anything that drives almost completely autonomously but still requires a human to be ready to intervene at any second, because nobody's going to be vigilant enough to do that if the car does 99% of the driving by itself.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nenonen posted:

"Kinda annoying, guessable" is the best we can strive to be

:finland:

:love:

Shine on y'all crazy diamonds.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MononcQc posted:

I heard one issue is for when cars get almost good enough and human intervention would actually be worse than having the car do it. (not that we are there yet) Kinda like the uncanny valley of autonomy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ruflux posted:

Uncontrolled intersections are almost unspeakably rare in the US, even one lane dirt fire roads have stop signs.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

quote != edit

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Phanatic posted:

https://twitter.com/stephentyrone/status/1192053227061207040

Everyone involved in that decision should be in prison.

I'm the AI designed to make about 7 attempts to categorize an object I'm approaching within 5 seconds, but never make the determination that I'm still approaching a potential obstacle and should make attempts to not interface with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

Uncontrolled intersections are almost unspeakably rare in the US, even one lane dirt fire roads have stop signs.

Uncontrolled intersections are everywhere even in the U.S..

It’s just that they only exist at the end of things called “driveways”.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

cyberbug posted:

Waymo actually decided years ago that they are not going to field anything that drives almost completely autonomously but still requires a human to be ready to intervene at any second, because nobody's going to be vigilant enough to do that if the car does 99% of the driving by itself.

You could probably do it with a good bridge team but you'd need 2 to 3 trained guys at all times, so like 6 people in the car.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Looks to me like the wood either has a notch carved through lengthwise or has had bits added to give it an inverted U-section that slots over the spikes... Clearly it's not OSHA but probably a technique used for some time and possibly safer than trying to use the ladder next to them in the confined space or trying to set it up over the fence.

Probably should have used a scaffold, but then again this tweeted image from the same event probably explains why they didn't...

https://twitter.com/corstclimaction/status/1191454874501824512

:stare:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Platystemon posted:

Congratulations; it’s a range safety officer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpUuym8rS-s

Did that kid say shut the gently caress up bitch? Lmao parents today!

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

What does the approach look like?

Caught the cab corner on the attic, figured he could get the whole truck out by sticking bits of it at a time under the high point, didn't ask for help, topped the truck, got fired. Back driving for another company Monday morning.

First image is the original angle as the photo. One way northbound

Second image is in the direction the truck is facing
Third is a detail

It looks like he went over the curb to the right of the reflector there.

BgRdMchne fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gonna crosspost this one here because maybe—maybe—someone will have to deal with this eventually.