Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lol faran brygo not since noob saibot have i seen a more subtle self insert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Al! posted:

lol faran brygo not since noob saibot have i seen a more subtle self insert

I actually met John Tobias way back in middle school, because my local cybercafe was exhibiting tao feng (lol). I got him to sign my copy of mk trilogy and he looked extremely depressed to be there

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Golden Week Sale and I'm not a broke bitch this year gently caress yeah!

I bought the One Way Heroics: Extra Game edition. I remember liking the old one and I wanna see the new one.

I bought Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth Delux New Game Plus edition that has some really raw reviews because it is naked p2w bare minimum edition. I am very tempted by Ultimate Edition that fleshes out the Sujimon and Fantasy Island pack... but I can buy that later like 5 months later when I finally get to wherever those bonuses kick in.

I bought Rusty's Retirement because it looked cute to have a lil Harvest Moon Idler game going on in my split screen setup. I bought the broke boy edition instead of the expensive one because it was just a golden skin, ew, I don't want to give support I want to receive superiority.

I bought Spyro Reignited Trilogy, it wasn't golden week sale, Actiblizard whatever decided to do a sale too. I could ahve bought a Call of Duty, but that time is really behind me and I have no desire to revisit it. But I really want to revisit Dragon Platformer where everything is squishy and soft.

That's what I bought and I might play these all one day.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Buck Wildman posted:

one of the major antagonists in y8 is a vtuber

lmao incredible, I love these games

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

p bullshit that y8 itself is on sale but the post-game dlc isn't

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, Im still down to buy the Job Set but I saw a post saying they were 30 hours in before they like got real poo poo made me think I can just wait for session 6 or 7 to buy more game.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
AiT got lost on Dongan Ronpaul island and I will find him.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

DaysBefore posted:

Just play TNO. Very simple, straightforward mechanics

jfc, i fell off TNO hard because of this. got deep into it at first thanks to the complex and interesting alt-history narrative, then the fanbase complained it wasn't realistic enough or something, devs added so many obtuse mechanics that it's an endless bore now, reddit is nothing but flagchat and fanfic. gdi

then again, maybe the devs shouldn't have started with modding a game focused primarily on battle tactics and logistics

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
picked up a near mint condition switch for $200 for my stepson, he’s gonna freak out

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

TNO is helplessly fail fasc wank, even if it wants not to be

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wasteland

So this is pretty much how the sewers went. That 'CON' column is basically hit points (or MAXCON in Wasteland parlance), and UNC means Unconscious, which is the least worst Not Quite Dead status. Fortunately, Least Worst in this case means 'not all that bad' because you'll heal naturally over time. But if you see those two "...is improving" messages, that's because those two characters were in SER status, or Seriously Wounded. From there it just gets worse til you die, and dead is dead is dead in this game. The Medic or Doctor skill will patch you up back to Unconscious if you're lucky.

Anyway, this happened about a third of the way into the sewers. The cyborgs that live down here don't gently caress around, and they're a bit more bullet-resistant than all but the worst death machines up above. Plus there's all sorts of traps, and a river of raw sewage that will, if we're very lucky, chuck us out into the main river alive and diseased if we set foot in it. Glad we have some ropes along. And a sledgehammer (for breaking down walls), and plenty of ammo and rockets (for breaking down enemies). We went through so much stuff.

So what are we even doing down here? We're looking for Max, the guy who's been trying to save Vegas from the robots. He's been working with Brygo, and apparently came down here to negotiate an alliance with the cyborgs. It seems that negotiations have broken down, as has Max (who we learned recently is, himself, a robot).

Which makes finding him tricky since he's, uh, all over the place. Or rather his bits and bobs are.

So yeah, went through a bunch of horrible fights, used up basically every last bit of ammo we have, got drat near TPK'd several times (fortunately everyone going UNC isn't a game over), but finally, all the kings horses and all the kings men put Max back together again.

We do have a couple of energy weapons now, including the laser pistol in the screenshot above, though it's not that good. The laser carbine we pick up about halfway through the sewers is substantially better. We've got to be careful though, because power packs are in very limited supply (and we can't do the same disk-swap item dupe trick I did as a wee lad on the C64). And we're gonna need them later because things are only gonna get tougher from here on out.

Anyway, Max fills us in on a couple things, including the location of a secret 'Sleeper Base', a hidden military base that will hopefully give us some insight into the source of the robots, someplace called 'Cochise'. He also suggests we might be able to raid Darwin Station for parts, but that there are hinky things going on down there so that's kind of a last resort. Darwin Village, attached to the station, is a place we've been a few times, mostly to hit up their black market though we've also made some antitoxins and cured some potential recruits (who we won't actually be recruiting).

For now we head to the Sleeper Base, and it's a breath of fresh, or at least musty, air. Very few fights (which isn't to say NO fights), just a bunch of locked doors which require various 'SECPASS' cards to bypass, so it's mostly a matter of exploring and backtracking. Along the way we find a bunch of radiation suits, weapons, and ammo that we largely don't need, though we also come across a laser rifle and a few more power packs. And some promising stuff locked behind a barrier we can't bypass yet.

We also find a 'plasma coupler' which we don't have a use for yet, some cloning vats, where we're growing clones of our best and brightest) and a helicopter simulator which will be handy if we ever find a helicopter.

Finally, we find some personnel records, which gives us a bit of insight into things -- apparently someone who was getting a bit too obsessive about artificial intelligence got transferred to a sister base by the name of Cochise, and there's also talk of things going down at Darwin Station too.

And we're basically out of leads, so Darwin Station is our next stop.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Demon Of The Fall posted:

picked up a near mint condition switch for $200 for my stepson, he’s gonna freak out

Good job dad

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gonna give up on Fallout 4 Survival cause it’s too tedious.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Every time I decide to play some more bg3 I always end up stopping after running into a fight, which proceeds to take like 45+ minutes of me awkwardly sending my guys around to hit enemies and healing the damage they do to me. Missing attacks feels bad! I hear that it gets less tedious once you're higher level and have more tools? I'm currently level 3 and was just fighting level 4 enemies in this hag's place.

After beating the guys, I entered this area with all these explosive regions. I have no idea how to get past them. At first I thought I was being clever by throwing candles into them and setting off the trap, but apparently this doesn't actually disable them. My full party can't jump over them either.

You know what it's time for? FF14. Haven't played that with any regularity since Endwalker was released, so I haven't done any of the new extra content (and I also never did most of the crafting stuff for Shadowbringers).

Edit: I like the parts where I talk to people in BG3 and really like the general appearance and concept of my character. I'm debating maybe turning difficulty to Easy until I'm higher level and fights aren't so awkward.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 03:11 on Apr 29, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
imo the combat isn't fun, put it on easy and have fun

you deserve it op, treat yourself

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Every time I decide to play some more bg3 I always end up stopping after running into a fight, which proceeds to take like 45+ minutes of me awkwardly sending my guys around to hit enemies and healing the damage they do to me. Missing attacks feels bad! I hear that it gets less tedious once you're higher level and have more tools? I'm currently level 3 and was just fighting level 4 enemies in this hag's place.

After beating the guys, I entered this area with all these explosive regions. I have no idea how to get past them. At first I thought I was being clever by throwing candles into them and setting off the trap, but apparently this doesn't actually disable them. My full party can't jump over them either.

You know what it's time for? FF14. Haven't played that with any regularity since Endwalker was released, so I haven't done any of the new extra content (and I also never did most of the crafting stuff for Shadowbringers).

Edit: I like the parts where I talk to people in BG3 and really like the general appearance and concept of my character. I'm debating maybe turning difficulty to Easy until I'm higher level and fights aren't so awkward.

When you get to higher levels your guys generally won't miss and your mages will be doing the Larian thing where you are blasting the combat arena to make poo poo for your opponents a nightmare

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ytlaya posted:

If you want to know how to get past that part:

There are grates on the ground under the gas, you can throw things like books on them to stop the gas from coming out. There's nothing in the game that I noticed that indicated you could do that but apparently its similar to something from one of their other games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I tried playing Midnight Suns and sort of had the same issue where the combat felt way too tedious because you were always spinning your wheels trying to optimize using environmental damage and lining up mana points to spend and you can't just "gently caress it" either and play carelessly because the game is going to punish you otherwise.

I could tell what they were going for but playing a match of slow Magic The Gathering for the tactical combat interludes of an XCOM-like just didn't gel

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

If you want to know how to get past that part:

There are grates on the ground under the gas, you can throw things like books on them to stop the gas from coming out. There's nothing in the game that I noticed that indicated you could do that but apparently its similar to something from one of their other games.

Ah, thanks. I definitely wouldn't have figured that out.

Grapplejack posted:

When you get to higher levels your guys generally won't miss and your mages will be doing the Larian thing where you are blasting the combat arena to make poo poo for your opponents a nightmare

I should probably actually bring a mage, lol. My current party is:
Me: Monk
Astarion
Lae'zel
Shadowheart

From a gameplay perspective, dropping Astarion is the most obvious choice, since so far he's basically "a lovely fighter" since I don't feel like stealthing. But I like having him around for reactions.

I might drop Shadowheart for Gale. Her heal is kinda worse than just using healing potions, and Gale would be better at actual mage-y stuff.

A lot of support magic is confusing to me. So many different buff/defensive magics and I never know which ones to use. Do I want higher AC or better Saving Throws? Or better "ability scores"? What are the latter doing for me in combat?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

evilmiera posted:

I was getting woozy lately, just not feeling good at all, but only at certain times of day for whatever reason.

Turns out it was Fallout 76 doing it, something about the graphics settings just gave me massive vertigo like I hadn't had since I tried playing the original Doom when I was a kid.

I couldn't get past the first couple levels in Wolfenstein New Order because of this. Games normally don't give me motion sickness but that one had something going on with the camera sway that I couldn't handle.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Astarion
Lae'zel
Shadowheart

From a gameplay perspective, dropping Astarion is the most obvious choice, since so far he's basically "a lovely fighter" since I don't feel like stealthing. But I like having him around for reactions.

I might drop Shadowheart for Gale. Her heal is kinda worse than just using healing potions, and Gale would be better at actual mage-y stuff.

A lot of support magic is confusing to me. So many different buff/defensive magics and I never know which ones to use. Do I want higher AC or better Saving Throws? Or better "ability scores"? What are the latter doing for me in combat?

astarion is the best companion NPC in the game, just make him a rogue/ranger and do a billion damage every turn by dual wielding hand crossbows. his bite ability that gets him a +1 to everything until long rest is also insanely good and only he gets it (that's why I say he's the best even though you can make anyone anything)

to get past the part you're talking about you should just cast featherfall from a scroll or character and just jump everyone down, you should have some by now

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Astarion
Lae'zel
Shadowheart

Yeah that method got you past floor traps in Divinity OS 1/2 so unsurprising it still works here - can be annoying to find the grate the gas is coming out of tho. There’s a few ways around that part but honestly I didn’t feel like the tedium so I just used featherfall and had everyone just leap down the safe platforms

Honestly she’s one of the tougher early fights so if you’re still just figuring the game out I might suggest leaving her for later

I respecced shart into a life cleric and her healing was really good after that but her default cleric class doesn’t heal so good

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah that method got you past floor traps in Divinity OS 1/2 so unsurprising it still works here - can be annoying to find the grate the gas is coming out of tho. There’s a few ways around that part but honestly I didn’t feel like the tedium so I just used featherfall and had everyone just leap down the safe platforms

Honestly she’s one of the tougher early fights so if you’re still just figuring the game out I might suggest leaving her for later

I respecced shart into a life cleric and her healing was really good after that but her default cleric class doesn’t heal so good

yeah trickster is like maybe the worst cleric class, it's dogshit

I'd definitely spec her into like tempest or life or light, even war isn't too bad

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
light is quite good on shadowheart and really funny given her chosen deity and some further spoiler reasons

i went monk first and way of the open hand is definitely broken, especially if you multiclass into rogue and pick up the thief subclass for an extra bonus action. you can punch one man so much. does take a little while to get going but yeah just put that fight off until you're done with everything else in the area. helps a lot.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I couldn't get past the first couple levels in Wolfenstein New Order because of this. Games normally don't give me motion sickness but that one had something going on with the camera sway that I couldn't handle.
NO was ok for me but Talos Principle just absolutely thoroughly and brutally slayed my eyeballs-brain connection.

very weird to just randomly encounter a game that completely fucks you up

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
oops double post

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dreylad posted:

light is quite good on shadowheart and really funny given her chosen deity and some further spoiler reasons

i went monk first and way of the open hand is definitely broken, especially if you multiclass into rogue and pick up the thief subclass for an extra bonus action. you can punch one man so much. does take a little while to get going but yeah just put that fight off until you're done with everything else in the area. helps a lot.

yea if you're monk just go tavern brawler at 4 and drink elixirs of strength to roleplay as popeye and absolutely whip the living poo poo out of everything until you rest

the 9 monk/3 thief is really good, it does feel a little bad that your 10th and 11th level give you basically nothing when you're getting level 1/2 rogue but yeah

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

astarion is the best companion NPC in the game, just make him a rogue/ranger and do a billion damage every turn by dual wielding hand crossbows. his bite ability that gets him a +1 to everything until long rest is also insanely good and only he gets it (that's why I say he's the best even though you can make anyone anything)

to get past the part you're talking about you should just cast featherfall from a scroll or character and just jump everyone down, you should have some by now

For kind of arbitrary reasons I refuse to change my party members' classes or multiclass (the latter just because it bugs me conceptually). Can a "pure" Rogue also become a strong direct fighter type?

I might be willing to bend my rule with making Shadowheart a different type of Cleric, though. Having a reliable healer would be nice.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rouge is fine in BG3, as long as you can get sneak attacks in you'll do a fair bit of damage.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah I mean even as a pure thief he’s still one of the highest dpt in the game he’s insanely strong, assassin is okay but not really as good on a first play through because you want to start fights with them and it can be unclear who you’re supposed to attack and not attack the first time through

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dr Pepper posted:

Rouge is fine in BG3, as long as you can get sneak attacks in you'll do a fair bit of damage.

Lol rouge.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I trolled astarion the entire game and left him to live in the sewers eating rats, gently caress that guy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Eason the Fifth posted:

gently caress that guy

a lot of people want to!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

evilmiera posted:

I was getting woozy lately, just not feeling good at all, but only at certain times of day for whatever reason.

Turns out it was Fallout 76 doing it, something about the graphics settings just gave me massive vertigo like I hadn't had since I tried playing the original Doom when I was a kid.

I can't play the first tomb raider remake game without wanting to vomit within minutes. I'm not really sure how games don't just have options to turn poo poo like that off.

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008
for those curious about Eiyuden Chronicle, i've been able to put about 10 hours into the game so far.

still very early so story quality is impossible to say, but in general it seems to be following the basic Suikoden formula. i just made it to the HQ base that i assume will get a lot of upgrades as the game goes on and i recruit more people.

gameplay-wise its again just very much Suikoden formula. 6-member party size, purely turn based. the magic/rune system works via either MP (functions like standard mana pool) or SP (characters gain 1 SP per turn of combat, storing up to 5 maximum points)

random battles are the general jrpg fare of smashing through them with auto battle or letting the enemy flee if you are overleveled. boss battles ive actually been pleasantly surprised to be slightly more involved than just "harder random battle". each of them that i've run into so far have gimmicks to use to make them just that little bit more engaging.

the only downside that i can pinpoint so far is that some of the dialogue and side characters are mildly cringe, but i think its likely that the Suikoden games also had this and i just didnt notice due to also being cringe

im summary, if you liked Suikoden then play the game. i cant wait to build up my base and recruit like a hundred more characters

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

started Suzerain. there are a lot of words

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

snoozerain

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My hottest Fallout take:

Preston Garvey is a good man and a great character, and the slander directed at him is unconscionable.

I'm so sorry that you don't like him telling you constantly that settlements need help. It's a consequence of him being the only person in the whole game that wants to help **everyone** in an area that is under constant threat.

"He's one dimensional!"
No, he's focused. I would say he's the one person focused on what's most important.

"His story is bad!"
Patently false. He was traumatized by what he sees as his failure in Quincy, and as a result has a pathological need to help everyone.

"He asks you to do the work instead of doing it himself!"
What a silly take. His job is to receive and pass along information. It makes sense that he'd be better at that from a central location. Besides, if you want him to get his hands dirty, you can take him with you.

"He's bad game design!"
Again, disagree. His story aligns perfectly with his function in the game, which is to remind you that, no matter how many turrets you build, the Wasteland is still an intensely hostile and dangerous place. Just like in real life, the work will never end.

"He asks you to be the leader, then orders you around."

No he doesn't. He gives you information about places that need help, then lets you decide what to do about it. You know, like a second in command is supposed to.

"the radiant quests are bad."
Once again, I disagree. I would say they are a commentary on real life. In real life, the people who do the most good help others unselfishly, with little reward and little hope of permanent change.

The exact things that make them "bad" quests are the reason why I think they're so important.

The fact is that creating real positive change often involves repetitive work with little personal reward. Helping people not because you'll gain something, but because they need help.

And before someone comes in to say "you're looking too deep into this," let's remember that this is FALLOUT we're talking about. The whole game is a commentary on capitalism, morality, and humanity.

It's INTENDED to be looked at deeply.

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

Baykin posted:

for those curious about Eiyuden Chronicle, i've been able to put about 10 hours into the game so far.

still very early so story quality is impossible to say, but in general it seems to be following the basic Suikoden formula. i just made it to the HQ base that i assume will get a lot of upgrades as the game goes on and i recruit more people.

gameplay-wise its again just very much Suikoden formula. 6-member party size, purely turn based. the magic/rune system works via either MP (functions like standard mana pool) or SP (characters gain 1 SP per turn of combat, storing up to 5 maximum points)

random battles are the general jrpg fare of smashing through them with auto battle or letting the enemy flee if you are overleveled. boss battles ive actually been pleasantly surprised to be slightly more involved than just "harder random battle". each of them that i've run into so far have gimmicks to use to make them just that little bit more engaging.

the only downside that i can pinpoint so far is that some of the dialogue and side characters are mildly cringe, but i think its likely that the Suikoden games also had this and i just didnt notice due to also being cringe

im summary, if you liked Suikoden then play the game. i cant wait to build up my base and recruit like a hundred more characters

I'm about 20 hours in, and the story is nice. It's formulaic, but comfortable if you played a lot of PS1/PS2 JRPGs - I don't think there's any surprises to be had but I'm enjoying it. The dialogue and side characters are maybe a little closer to Chrono Cross than the older Suikoden games - they're more varied with some erring too close to wacky for my taste, but again they're pleasant and inoffensive for the most part. The old Suikodens did have some awkward guys you collected, but I don't remember any of them being essentially memes like the first couple of minigame guys you get.

My only real problem with it is that it's a JRPG in tyool 2024 with basically no QoL features. You can't skip cutscenes even if you've seen them before, and it still does the 'long cutscene before boss' thing, you can only save at save points - not even on the world map, only save points!, the random encounter rate is a bit too high and the battles take a bit too long since you can't speed up animations even when you're mashing auto, there's a fuckin lot of backtracking especially if you want to scour earlier towns for more collectable heroes, some stuff you need (for side quests/characters, not the critical path) is rare drops from enemy encounters that have a low chance of occurring, etc.

They promised a Suikoden game in the kickstarter, so I can't really fault them for it - this is exactly that, a Suikoden game with all of the 90s issues that series had still front and center. I did want that, but I would be enjoying it a lot more if they'd paid any attention to what other JRPGs have done in the last 20 years or so. So, you know, if you liked Suikoden and you're very patient, go ahead and play the game. Otherwise maybe wait and see if they'll patch in a turbo mode or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

My hottest Fallout take:

Preston Garvey is a good man and a great character, and the slander directed at him is unconscionable.

I'm so sorry that you don't like him telling you constantly that settlements need help. It's a consequence of him being the only person in the whole game that wants to help **everyone** in an area that is under constant threat.

"He's one dimensional!"
No, he's focused. I would say he's the one person focused on what's most important.

"His story is bad!"
Patently false. He was traumatized by what he sees as his failure in Quincy, and as a result has a pathological need to help everyone.

"He asks you to do the work instead of doing it himself!"
What a silly take. His job is to receive and pass along information. It makes sense that he'd be better at that from a central location. Besides, if you want him to get his hands dirty, you can take him with you.

"He's bad game design!"
Again, disagree. His story aligns perfectly with his function in the game, which is to remind you that, no matter how many turrets you build, the Wasteland is still an intensely hostile and dangerous place. Just like in real life, the work will never end.

"He asks you to be the leader, then orders you around."

No he doesn't. He gives you information about places that need help, then lets you decide what to do about it. You know, like a second in command is supposed to.

"the radiant quests are bad."
Once again, I disagree. I would say they are a commentary on real life. In real life, the people who do the most good help others unselfishly, with little reward and little hope of permanent change.

The exact things that make them "bad" quests are the reason why I think they're so important.

The fact is that creating real positive change often involves repetitive work with little personal reward. Helping people not because you'll gain something, but because they need help.

And before someone comes in to say "you're looking too deep into this," let's remember that this is FALLOUT we're talking about. The whole game is a commentary on capitalism, morality, and humanity.

It's INTENDED to be looked at deeply.

Nothing in Fallout 4 is intended to be looked at deeply.