Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

The West Coast is predominantly DUI territory too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Thanks for the advice friends, I appreciate it

Dive safe!

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

SoUncool posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. Dive Master was just for the sake of knowledge, not for employment. I'll look into GUE. Is it that much of a leap from PADI? Also, how do different dive companies deal with different certificates? Like, if I choose to do a boat dive with a company that is affiliated with SSI, will they recognize PADI or GUE certs? Is it just a case of doing a check dive before going? The reason I got the PADI cert was because it seemed to be recognized everywhere, taking a lot of the thought out of the equation...

The GUE standards for performance could be thought of as higher than PADI, but the skills are the same. Fundamentals is an open water course done in horizontal trim and neutrally buoyant, and PADI, historically anyway, was not. Doing mask removal, for example, is a bit trickier doing in open water the first time then when you are weighted on the bottom.

Certifications are pretty well universally recognized if they are from one of the major agencies. GUE is one of the better known specialty agencies so I would anticipate any issues there.

Once you have an open water ticket of some sort, you are largely fine to do most anything you like. I’m not aware of any of my buddies ever having an issue with boat operators not letting them dive because they had a GUE certification. Usually, they left them alone because it was evident they knew what they were doing!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Have you guys ever heard of people getting panic attacks from SCUBA gear? I've always wanted to dive and tried it in Mexico at one of those "let's do some pool work and then take you straight out into the ocean" operations.

Something about breathing through the mask just felt WRONG, and I was so anxious just sitting on the bottom of the pool like a foot below the surface that I couldn't complete their hilariously low performance requirements, there was no way I would have been safe on the actual dive.

I still want to learn, how can I condition myself to not freak the gently caress out about my airways feeling weird?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Breathing under water is completely unnatural to us and holding your breath under water is an ingrained reflex.

I had a similar issue the first time I tried SCUBA where I'd involuntarily hold my breath as soon as I went under the water, and I couldn't force myself to breath through the reg. What helped me was first spending a few minutes just breathing through the reg on the surface, then walking into the water and dipping my face slowly down towards the surface, breathing slowly and calmly as I gradually put my face down against and eventually under the water.

It took me maybe half an hour of convincing my dumb reptile brain that it's possible to breathe under water and I could relax fully submerged.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, it totally happens, you’re not alone. In this case it’s good that it happened in a pool and not deep underwater :)

Do you feel the same way when snorkeling?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Collateral Damage posted:

I had a similar issue the first time I tried SCUBA where I'd involuntarily hold my breath as soon as I went under the water, and I couldn't force myself to breath through the reg.

I have this issue when trying to free dive in the pool sometimes, my chest locks up and insists we can't let ANY air go, which results in pool water in my nose. The scuba issue was kind of the opposite, big panic gulps of air and no control over where I was breathing it out.

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, it totally happens, you’re not alone. In this case it’s good that it happened in a pool and not deep underwater :)

Do you feel the same way when snorkeling?

I'm glad to hear this, but they had a no-refunds policy on my boat seat so it was an expensive lesson to learn about myself :ohdear:

I'm more comfortable snorkeling but having my nose blocked still weirds me out. Maybe that's part of the problem?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So your username is accurate then? :v:

Take your time, maybe get used to snorkeling deeper and deeper, and you can get used to it. If it turns out you don't, no worries about that either.

I was on a dive when somebody did panic at 60 feet once and I'm sure the divemaster thanks you for not being that guy. Shame that you can't get your money back on the boat. :(

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
lol we dove today in Jupiter and there was an upwelling a couple days ago. loving 68 degree water and like 15’ vis at 70’. Last Saturday was 84 degree water and 70’ to 100’ vis depending on who you believe

poo poo

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
we both dove with 3 mil full suits and I never once enjoyed pissing my suit as much as I did the second dive

we both bailed at like 30 minutes on each dive with over 1500 - I had 1900 on the first and 16 something on the second which was the one I extended with piss warmth

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

let it mellow posted:

we both dove with 3 mil full suits and I never once enjoyed pissing my suit as much as I did the second dive

we both bailed at like 30 minutes on each dive with over 1500 - I had 1900 on the first and 16 something on the second which was the one I extended with piss warmth

Great username/content match. Yeah, sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield. I've had to bail on a couple really cool dives because of vis issues. No point risking your life to see a WW2 dive bomber if you can only see it 6" at a time.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

let it mellow posted:

lol we dove today in Jupiter and there was an upwelling a couple days ago. loving 68 degree water and like 15’ vis at 70’. Last Saturday was 84 degree water and 70’ to 100’ vis depending on who you believe

poo poo

Wait a minute... I'm confused. 68 degrees is cold to you?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Squashy Nipples posted:

68° for Florida divers is loving freezing. It’s generally like 74° even in the dead of winter.

:downsgun:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Ugh, nothing less than 27C kthx.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Trivia posted:

Ugh, nothing less than 27C kthx.

Cold water 4 life

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 23, 2018

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
:wrong:

I got cold diving in 26C water with a 5 milli suit with a rashie. It's me, I'm terrible.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trivia posted:

:wrong:

I got cold diving in 26C water with a 5 milli suit with a rashie. It's me, I'm terrible.

Winner. I can’t get into the macro stuff or whatever it’s called where you stare at the little poo poo living on a rock for 30 minutes. My girlfriend loves those tiny fish tho.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Trivia posted:

Last dive was just shy of a month ago, and it was fully 86° (30°C) at the surface, and never went below 82° even at 70ft. I dove with board shorts and a rashguard. Florida is awesome.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Thread fight! Pick a team.

The water will get up close to 60 near shore: 50-60 in shallow water, 45-55 in deeper water, and 40 down on the wrecks.

When in the Caribbean, I dive in board shorts and rashguard. It's like being naked.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

tesilential posted:

Winner. I can’t get into the macro stuff or whatever it’s called where you stare at the little poo poo living on a rock for 30 minutes. My girlfriend loves those tiny fish tho.

Yeah, everything in cold water is tiny and terrible and you should stay away. :rolleyes:

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 24, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Sea lions are the loving best. They’re dogs, but underwater.

I’m fine with most temps, though if I had stayed in San Diego I probably would have gotten a drysuit. I had been using this ludicrously thick “semi-dry” thing and that was making it tolerable for a little while but being cold as poo poo does make diving a little less fun.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Sea lions are the loving best. They’re dogs, but underwater.

I’m fine with most temps, though if I had stayed in San Diego I probably would have gotten a drysuit. I had been using this ludicrously thick “semi-dry” thing and that was making it tolerable for a little while but being cold as poo poo does make diving a little less fun.

Sea lions ready are wonderful. Seals too, but they can be shyer.

I like being warm, and will wear a full 3mm in the tropics. It really is about having the right gear for the conditions. 7mm wetsuits aren't fun, and there's a reason most divers around here end up in drysuits eventually.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I like being warm, and will wear a full 3mm in the tropics. It really is about having the right gear for the conditions. 7mm wetsuits aren't fun, and there's a reason most divers around here end up in drysuits eventually.

100% agree. Moved to dry suit after the first time and haven’t looked back. I dive in a 2mm spring suit in the tropics which is good too.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Squashy Nipples posted:

yes, I wanted a 5 or 7 mil, but it’s out fault for not checking conditions and knowing there was an upwelling

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DeadlyMuffin posted:

we both wear 3 mil fulls in the southern islands too, that’s why the 68 hosed us up

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man I put my wetsuit on at anything 72 or below. Florida has ruined me.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

Same. I wear a hood at 72 or lower. I got chilled in my formerly 5 3mil wetsuit in Blue Grotto. Speaking of which, has anyone dove there since May? When I was there in April, one of the staff said they were planning to clean out some of the silt from the landslide in March and I was wondering how much it had helped things. I want to make a trip there sometime next month :)

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Beet Wagon posted:

Jesus I wear a 3 mil full at even 80 lol

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

let it mellow posted:

Jesus I wear a 3 mil full at even 80 lol

Same.

I'm trying out a new wide angle lens. Definitely going to take some getting used to, but I think it has potential!

I think this as wide as I can go without a fisheye, and I just don't like the fisheye look.

Not the greatest pic, but I'm excited whenever I get even a mediocre perch shot. Shooting shiny fast moving fish is hard.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Man I'd love to dive a kelp forest some time.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
that looks good, what lens is it? I was thinking about going fisheye but I also am not sure about taking all fisheyes. There’s a guy in Barbados we dove with, Andrew at eco dive Barbados, that takes only fisheye and published a book of it, which was awesome and almost tipped me over the edge of buying a fisheye lens but...

I like how your pics look, maybe that’s the way I should go. I keep hesitating because whatever I buy is another port for the housing

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Trivia posted:

Man I'd love to dive a kelp forest some time.

If you're ever in the neighborhood, drop me a line. The kelp dies back in the winter, it feels like it's dying back a bit already, but there are some places where you can always find some.

let it mellow posted:

that looks good, what lens is it? I was thinking about going fisheye but I also am not sure about taking all fisheyes. There’s a guy in Barbados we dove with, Andrew at eco dive Barbados, that takes only fisheye and published a book of it, which was awesome and almost tipped me over the edge of buying a fisheye lens but...

I like how your pics look, maybe that’s the way I should go. I keep hesitating because whatever I buy is another port for the housing

I'm shooting micro 4/3rds. The lens is the Olympus 12mm f/2.0. I was using a borrowed EM5 + housing + a big honking dome.

I really don't like the giant dome and slightly bigger housing, but I love the wide field of view. I got to dive it again today and conditions are still great so I was able to get a few more pictures. Much better than yesterday I think.

My typical go-to wide angle is the 17mm f/1.8, and I like the 12mm a lot better. I just wish I had a way to put it on my EPL-6 housing. The dome I have vignettes :-(

The salp is Thetys vagina. According to Wikipedia they're the largest known solitary species of salp.

Black and yellow rockfish. This picture is actually rotated 90 degrees, the fish should be vertical (head up) but I like it better this way.

Salps getting eaten by a white-spotted rose anemone.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 31, 2018

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bonus sea nettle, because this picture is growing on me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That's a hell of a shot.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

sharkytm posted:

That's a hell of a shot.

hell, same

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've been snorkeling a lot recently in Laguna Beach, makes me want to get scuba certified.

Anyway here's a stingray just behind the breakers in about 6' of water. There were a bunch. Make sure you shuffle.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

I've been snorkeling a lot recently in Laguna Beach, makes me want to get scuba certified.

Anyway here's a stingray just behind the breakers in about 6' of water. There were a bunch. Make sure you shuffle.

Be careful brotha, lots of whites just past the breakers over sand looking for those rays.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

tesilential posted:

Be careful brotha, lots of whites just past the breakers over sand looking for those rays.

I mostly hang out near the rocks, that's where all the stuff to see is at.

It's actually a pretty popular dive location. Everyone just goes in the water at the beach and follows the rocks down the left side of the image towards the end of Twin Points. There's kind of an underwater canyon between the rocks that I've seen the divers follow out through there. The bottom may be about 20' at that point.

I was with a few people last week, we went out to the end. We stopped for a minute to talk and the current started taking us out towards the middle of the cove. I looked down and realized I didn't know where the bottom was, and the one guy estimated we were in 40-50' of water. He and another are pretty experienced divers and did not seem concerned, remarking we were somehow safer than we were over by the rocks. I decided I would prefer to be aware of my iminent death, and started making my way back.

Anyway, with record high ocean temperatures of 78+ degrees, there could be some more interesting sharks than just whites.

Still going through my GoPro, mostly Garibaldi and rock fish.

I think these might have been Grunion.

I saw about a 24" Halibut, but didn't get a shot because I didn't know it was there, and it just jumped out of the sand.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 5, 2018

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shaw's cove is a great spot. I can't imagine it being 78 degrees though, that's way too hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Shaw's cove is a great spot. I can't imagine it being 78 degrees though, that's way too hot.

Sounds great, but I need a 5mil and hood for that.