Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

At the end of the day you need to do what works for you. If it works, then it works. Kids are different. Go figure.

And don't beat yourself up over whether or not you are doing something "wrong" and that's why baby doesn't sleep. Some are excellent sleepers, some aren't. It is all personality of the kid and not because you did something or didn't do something.

We night weaned my kid at 10.5 months. We did the drowsy but awake thing at about 13 months and it took several weeks of slowly increasing the level of alertness when we put him down. Now we do our bedtime routine, rock in the chair for a few minutes, say goodnight, put him to bed, and he falls asleep. It took time and patience but we got there. Before these two things I nursed him to sleep every night and 90% of the overnight wakeups. The night weaning went fine (dad took a week of complete duty overnight so he wasn't expecting milk when he saw dad) and after we had that down we went for going to bed awake instead of nursing to sleep.

He's 19 months now and our new sleep problem is getting him to not wake up before the sun is up. No one wants to be up at 5:30 baby :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

sheri posted:

If you read the article at the link, it indicates 12 months and explains why.

Ok. But since my kid is almost 2 and sleeps the night, I don't really need to. OP was looking for help I told him what worked for us. You disagree, fine. Don't do it with your kid.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

Ok. But since my kid is almost 2 and sleeps the night, I don't really need to. OP was looking for help I told him what worked for us. You disagree, fine. Don't do it with your kid.

But the age thing is a very important point. Any form of CIO with young babies (and 5 months is young) is objectively bad because their brains aren't sufficiently developed! They simply aren't capable of going "Oh, man, I guess they really mean it this time. Fair play, I'll soothe myself to sleep."

This:

AlistairCookie posted:

In the midst of your frustrations, (and I do remember those nights!) remember that babies are not a manipulative adversary or an animal to be broken. They're just babies, and you are their entire world.

Is so important. (And I still have to remind myself of it on a regular basis, when my 1,5-year old lashes out in frustration over, well, being 1,5 years old :) )
Leaving a baby to cry itself to sleep isn't magically ok just because you've got to focus on your job. Biology doesn't care about your job, and while teaching your kid that he's not the centre of the universe is important, that's not a lesson for infancy.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

1. As she's getting older, she might not be getting "full" off the breast milk. If she'll take a bottle, try giving her a mix of pumped milk and (*GASP*) formula. It will be a little more dense and might fill her up and get her to sleep.

This is awful advice.

The health professional I was seeing when my daughter was a newborn was also obsessed with babies going longer between feeds and thanks to her 'advice' I ended up switching to formula.

Guess what? My daughter still woke to eat at night 2-3 times even on 'dense' formula.

kells fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 17, 2015

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Also getting up, pumping, and mixing the milk with formula takes a hell of a lot longer than just nursing.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

kells posted:

This is awful advice

It wasn't awful advice for us.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Granted, I only have two datapoints to correlate from, but I have reached the conclusion that different babies be different. Except when they're the same. Subject #1 reacted poorly to CIO, no cry, Grandma sullat's homemade cough syrup, and all the other solutions we tried. Subject #2 we didn't try anything, he just goes to sleep, and sleeps all night. Unless he's sick. So feel free to try different methods and go with what works.

I do agree that this seems like a pretty standard thing at about that age. I think we had something similar? I'd have to check my post history to be sure, though, since I can barely remember those days.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm babysitting my nephew right now in addition to watching my own child.

Trying to watch an autistic OCD ADHD compulsively lying (all medically diagnosed except the compulsive liar thing) teenager who constantly quotes every meme on the internet really make me appreciate my 19 month old who refuses to go to bed. Piece of cake that one.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

It wasn't awful advice for us.

You just had an easy baby.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

kells posted:

You just had an easy baby.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahha

If she was easy we wouldn't have had to resort to formula and cry it out now would we?

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Any tips for getting a two year old to not wake me up at 5 AM on weekends to play, and start teaching her that she can play in her crib quietly for an hour or so before waking my rear end up? I love her but nobody wants to be up that early.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

momtartin posted:

Any tips for getting a two year old to not wake me up at 5 AM on weekends to play, and start teaching her that she can play in her crib quietly for an hour or so before waking my rear end up? I love her but nobody wants to be up that early.

Toddler alarm clock. They work pretty well for lots of kids. They got blue when you're supposed to be asleep, then orange when it is wake up time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

greatn posted:

Toddler alarm clock. They work pretty well for lots of kids. They got blue when you're supposed to be asleep, then orange when it is wake up time.

Seconding this. You do have to train them to understand "blue is sleep or quiet play time, orange means you can come out" a few times before they really get it though.

Bird Person
Nov 18, 2002

It has been a... challenging mating season for Bird Person
Update: continued decline. Baby now wakes up every 1-2 hours at night, often demanding to be fed. We have been putting her in bed with us after the first or second "round" of this because it's so disruptive. Often won't nap unless held, screams immediately when you even bend over to put her in the crib.

I appreciate all of the encouragement and advice but so much of it is conflicting and/or confusing. I think we're just going to talk to a real expert about it and just do whatever they say.

Bird Person
Nov 18, 2002

Sockmuppet posted:

Leaving a baby to cry itself to sleep isn't magically ok just because you've got to focus on your job. Biology doesn't care about your job

There are a lot of "unnatural" things about the way that people live their lives. People make their babies fly on airplanes for christ's sake - how is that magically okay because your cousin lives in California and you want to see them on December 25th?

Regardless of my proclivity to not want my child to cry herself to sleep, I still take issue with this framing. What if CIO works, everyone is fine, and the sacrifice now pays huge dividends later? Or, alternatively, we stick to the no cry method, it doesn't work, and our careers are ruined so we spend a lifetime trying to pay off debt, unable to afford quality schooling or save for college?

It's not as simple as black and white. Your morality is not objectively the best, and neither is mine.

I also have a bit of a hard time believing all of the anti-CIO hype, as it reminds me a lot of the "natural childbirth" discourses that we toyed with when my wife was pregnant. Scare tactics with little evidence supporting them aside from anecdote, conjecture, and logical fallacies (appeal to nature, etc.). If you let your child cry to sleep and, in every other circumstance you care for his/her needs immediately, provide emotional and physical closeness and so forth, I just don't see how you are damaging them for life. That's like someone who only eats boiled chicken, raw spinach, and whole grains and exercises for an hour a day but drinks a soda once a week ending up morbidly obese. There are a lot of parts to the system and no single imperfection will cause it to break down.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Bird Person, this post. Exactly this. You nailed it. I can't reiterate enough, do what works for you and what you are comfortable with as a parent. The "science" of child raising seems to change every decade or so. Sleeping on the tummy was best because the baby slept longer. Then it was borderline child abuse because of a possible link to SIDS. Now pediatricians are reporting skull deformities due to too much infant back time. Seeing as it is unethical to experiment on pregnant women or children the best you can do is analyze correlative data. And again, every child is different. If it works for you and both parents are comfortable with it, chastisement from someone in the internet you've never met shouldn't matter.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Bird Person posted:

Regardless of my proclivity to not want my child to cry herself to sleep, I still take issue with this framing. What if CIO works, everyone is fine, and the sacrifice now pays huge dividends later? Or, alternatively, we stick to the no cry method, it doesn't work, and our careers are ruined so we spend a lifetime trying to pay off debt, unable to afford quality schooling or save for college?

Being a little fatalistic, don't you think? "Grown Baby, if you just hadn't spend those few weeks being a baby and having sleep issues when you were 5 months old, we could have afforded Harvard for you! It's all your own fault!" I get frustrated hyperbole, but your language choices are both a reflection of, and an influence on, your thoughts. Be mindful.

"This is normal" "Keep trying" "Have patience" isn't conflicting or confusing. Babies don't follow a manual, after all. You're looking for approval, either tacit or explicit, to let your baby CIO, using your career(s) as justification. You seem to have already made your choice; own it. Read the Ferber book and do it then. Ask your pediatrician about it; they're a "real expert", vs. other parents, I'm sure.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I don't like to get in these debates usually cause it caused the thread to close before but if you want to approach it from a scientific standpoint the studies done on cry it out being fine are either flawed or didn't actually study what people think of when they think of cry it out. Better studies have shown it does do neurological and psychological damage to infants. A lot of parents get defensive about this because they don't want to think that they harmed their child since it wasn't their intention to harm them, but ignoring scientific studies that are done properly regarding cry it out is as ignorant as ignoring studies about how vaccines don't cause autism.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201112/dangers-crying-it-out

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201407/parents-misled-cry-it-out-sleep-training-reports

Bird Person
Nov 18, 2002

AlistairCookie posted:

"Grown Baby, if you just hadn't spend those few weeks being a baby and having sleep issues when you were 5 months old, we could have afforded Harvard for you! It's all your own fault!"

Lot of assumptions in here. But no, it would be my fault for not doing something about it as the adult and parent. And it would have to go on for longer than "a few weeks" to cause severe damage. That's why I wanted to turn to others and see what they had to say before making a decision.

AlistairCookie posted:

"This is normal" "Keep trying" "Have patience" isn't conflicting or confusing.

You're right, it isn't. But that's only one set of advice I've seen since making the post.

AlistairCookie posted:

You're looking for approval, either tacit or explicit, to let your baby CIO, using your career(s) as justification. You seem to have already made your choice; own it.

We emphatically have not made a choice, other than the choice to consider CIO if things don't turn around and the situation starts to have a real impact on our jobs. Again, I do not appreciate your "career as justification" logic. You do not know my circumstances besides in the vaguest terms. I doubt you are a trained psychologist and, even if you are, psychoanalysis has been dead for 30 years, so please don't tell me what my intentions are or what choices I've made. I came here hoping to get some non-judgmental and quasi-objective advice from people who have more experience than I do. That has happened. But what also has happened is I've been condescended to and lol'd at by people who know very little about my life circumstances and seem to be speaking from a position of privilege.

I won't be posting here again for the sake of the thread. Thanks to everyone for trying to help.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Bird Person posted:

Often won't nap unless held, screams immediately when you even bend over to put her in the crib.

My kid did this. We took the crib mattress out and put it on the floor, then got him to go to sleep with us laying right next to him. Then we'd sneak out. He was about 18 months when we did this though.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
This thread is busy getting lovely again, and I will turn this goddamn car around. No more personal attacks, no more line-by-line quote-responses.

Hippies look out your own window, titans of industry look out your own window.

It is my strong feeling that nobodies system is on terribly firm ground because there are too many other variables at work. Most infants manage to stop doing whatever horrible infant thing they were doing in a few months, and replace it with some bright-new horrible toddler thing, no matter which book you skim and bitch about on the facebook.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Blegh, I thought discussion about CIO was banned because none of you can talk about it nicely.

Question. I have a 2 year old who is developmentally a 3 year old (big whoop, important for the question though) and a baby about to be born. I've got paternity leave for a few months, what sort of things can I do with the toddler to keep her from feeling replaced?

Also, any cool games I can play with her whilst I'm at home. I'm personally getting bored of some of the games we've been playing, I need some new activities to freshen it up.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Bird Person posted:

There are a lot of "unnatural" things about the way that people live their lives. People make their babies fly on airplanes for christ's sake - how is that magically okay because your cousin lives in California and you want to see them on December 25th?

I think you misunderstood me. I meant magically ok as in "doesn't have the negative effects it otherwise would have". Your baby's brain won't develop faster because you've got to perform well at work.

I get that you're completely desperate right now, no sleep and lots of crying do that to everyone, and we've all been there, but this. will. pass! Only to be replaced by a different problem, as SloTek said ;)

Edited: Grumble, grumble, fine, not more CIO-chat, but I've got to clear up that misunderstanding, because I can't bear to be thought of as being against planes.

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 18, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sockmuppet posted:

I think you misunderstood me. I meant magically ok as in "doesn't have the negative effects it otherwise would have". Your baby's brain won't develop faster because you've got to perform well at work. CIO with young babies (I emphasise the "young babies" bit because it's an important distinction) isn't "unnatural", it's just mean, plain and simple. I don't think you'll damage your kid for life, but it's a selfish choice - you're deliberately causing your baby misery it's too young to comprehend. If that's what you're "comfortable with as a parent", to quote ActusRhesus, then go ahead, "do what works for you".

And seriously, babies are known for causing sleepless nights, you must have known this before you went and had one. If your careers can be ruined for life because you're tired for a few months, you can't have had much to go on anyway. Figure out a schedule for who gets to put the earplugs in and go to sleep and who gets to tend to the crying baby, or get a night nanny, or get help from relatives if they're around. I get that you're completely desperate right now, no sleep and lots of crying do that to everyone, and we've all been there, but this. will. pass.

My wife would just break down completely after a bad night when she had to go to work saying "i can't do it. I just can't." It sounds silly typed out but to hear her say it, it was like she couldn't go on living, the baby had to go or she'd die etc. It was awful. I did what I could to help but babies are awful sometimes and it makes you want to go back to when you were young and married and Saturday was a magical day of nothing. Then it gets better in some ways and worse in the others. My 3.5 year old colored on his face with an orange highlighter yesterday, I deemed it a good day because hey, it'll come off eventually. Plus I think its funny when he runs around with orange scribbles on his forehead, it lets people know what life is really like.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Konomex posted:

Blegh, I thought discussion about CIO was banned because none of you can talk about it nicely.

Question. I have a 2 year old who is developmentally a 3 year old (big whoop, important for the question though) and a baby about to be born. I've got paternity leave for a few months, what sort of things can I do with the toddler to keep her from feeling replaced?

Also, any cool games I can play with her whilst I'm at home. I'm personally getting bored of some of the games we've been playing, I need some new activities to freshen it up.

Take all the kids out, all the time. Walk the 2 year olds little legs off. Go to museums, nature parks, all that. A busy 2+ year old is a lot happier and less trouble in a stimulating and somewhat toddler-proofed environment with enough exercise to tucker them out than they will at home. Throw the lump-baby in a baby-carrier or stroller, and let the 2 year old drag you around by the pinky.

I took my 0 and 3 year olds to the local science museum's toddler area two or three times a week for a year, the opportunity to play with somebody elses toys, and get sneezed on by whole new children was wildly exciting to my 3 year old, and the lump-baby didn't care where he was, so everybody was happier for the change of scenery. If you don't have a local museum, the library is an option even for 2 year olds. They will have a childrens play area and new things to see.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Slo-Tek posted:

Take all the kids out, all the time. Walk the 2 year olds little legs off. Go to museums, nature parks, all that. A busy 2+ year old is a lot happier and less trouble in a stimulating and somewhat toddler-proofed environment with enough exercise to tucker them out than they will at home. Throw the lump-baby in a baby-carrier or stroller, and let the 2 year old drag you around by the pinky.

I took my 0 and 3 year olds to the local science museum's toddler area two or three times a week for a year, the opportunity to play with somebody elses toys, and get sneezed on by whole new children was wildly exciting to my 3 year old, and the lump-baby didn't care where he was, so everybody was happier for the change of scenery. If you don't have a local museum, the library is an option even for 2 year olds. They will have a childrens play area and new things to see.

The library is a godsend. The kids were wearing us out yesterday, went to the library, they played happily by themselves for an hour. They wouldn't leave us alone for 5 minutes in our house without crying, throwing, jumping, breaking or just calling our names, despite having enough things to do and play with to entertain an entire daycare worth of kids. They were just bored of being inside. Take them to the library play area and they can just play as nice and sweet as can be.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

jassi007 posted:

My wife would just break down completely after a bad night when she had to go to work saying "i can't do it. I just can't." It sounds silly typed out but to hear her say it, it was like she couldn't go on living, the baby had to go or she'd die etc. It was awful. I did what I could to help but babies are awful sometimes and it makes you want to go back to when you were young and married and Saturday was a magical day of nothing.

I was completely and utterly miserable most of the time those first few months, and desperately regreted ever having a baby in the first place. It's weird how you just loose all sense of perspective - I tried to tell myself that "look, people are walking around outside without squalling babies dangling from their arms! This won't last forever!" But it just feels like this is it, this is your life now, you've given up every bit of yourself in exchange for a wailing poop-machine, and you'll never sleep again!

But it really is just a few months. If we ever have a second kid, I hope I'll be able to remember that and find it easier to just roll with the punches and breathe deeply when I'm drenched in spit-up and trying to soothe an upset baby for the fifth time in one night.

(1,5 year olds are AWESOME! She's starting the terrible twos early, and there is still much catterwauling, but it's so much easier to deal with when I know it's caused by me refusing to let her eat diaper ointment. Oh, the humanity!)

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Alterian posted:

A lot of parents get defensive about this because they don't want to think that they harmed their child since it wasn't their intention to harm them, but ignoring scientific studies that are done properly regarding cry it out is as ignorant as ignoring studies about how vaccines don't cause autism.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201112/dangers-crying-it-out

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201407/parents-misled-cry-it-out-sleep-training-reports

I think your metaphor is a little off. And neither of these are "studies," they are articles. Which don't appear to be peer reviewed. One of which was written by an author who

quote:

was raised in a middle-class family with a depressed mother, harsh father and overall emotionally unsupportive environment--not unlike others raised in the USA. I have only recently realized from extensive reading about the effects of early parenting on body and brain development that I show the signs of undercare--poor memory (cortisol released during distress harms hippocampus development), irritable bowel and other poor vagal tone issues, and high social anxiety. The USA has epidemics of poor physical and mental health (e.g., UNICEF, 2007; USDHSS, 1999; WHO/WONCA, 2008). The connection between the lack of ancestral parenting practices and poor health outcomes has been documented for touch, responsiveness, breastfeeding, and more (Narvaez et al., in press). If we want a strong country and people, we've got to pay attention to what children need for optimal development.

I think there may be a little bias there, no? She's basically saying "I'm all hosed up and I blame you, mom and dad." Also this:

quote:

We know now that leaving babies to cry is a good way to make a less intelligent, less healthy but more anxious, uncooperative and alienated persons who can pass the same or worse traits on to the next generation.

seems highly dubious. I'd like to see a peer reviewed study confirming this. Oh that's right... it's unethical to experiment on children so all you can do is look to correlative data, and as we all know, correlation does not equal causation.

If you disagree with CIO, that's fine, you are free to explain why you don't like it and, more importantly, free to not use it in your home. but please refrain from calling people ignorant. It's not helpful.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 19, 2015

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Sockmuppet posted:

But it really is just a few months. If we ever have a second kid, I hope I'll be able to remember that and find it easier to just roll with the punches and breathe deeply when I'm drenched in spit-up and trying to soothe an upset baby for the fifth time in one night.

With one at 2 and a half and the other at 5 months, it both is and isn't easier to remember. My wife and I are much less afraid that we're going to break the baby, or that we're doing something wrong. Honestly, the hardest part is dealing with the oldest, still.

Just today I was talking with a friend and we commiserated that you'd think with a second kid you get some efficiencies between the two of them, but what you get is exponential inefficiencies, it seems. Finding time to actually do something other than parent is hard.

For example, yesterday, I was dealing with the screaming baby while my wife was taking a moment to throw some clothes in the washer, and after I noticed that the toddler had been suspiciously quiet in a room with a closed door, I opened it to discover she had somehow gotten ahold of a marker, and had decided to see how well it would work on her skin, her dress, the couch, the walls, the baby's (borrowed) bassinet, the carpet, the quilts, a table, the TV stand, the trash can, and our baby birth announcements (that we're behind on), along with probably some other things we haven't found yet.

And of course, when I open the door and yell at her to stop (since I'm cradling a baby which makes it hard to intervene) she looks at me a moment then goes back to scribbling harder on the table.

Seriously, how do kids get into so much mischief in just a few minutes of being left alone?

kells
Mar 19, 2009

Sockmuppet posted:

I was completely and utterly miserable most of the time those first few months, and desperately regreted ever having a baby in the first place. It's weird how you just loose all sense of perspective - I tried to tell myself that "look, people are walking around outside without squalling babies dangling from their arms! This won't last forever!" But it just feels like this is it, this is your life now, you've given up every bit of yourself in exchange for a wailing poop-machine, and you'll never sleep again!

That was exactly how I felt for the first 4 months or so. Oh my god what have we done, this was a huge mistake, our lives are ruined!!!

She's 7 months now and we still don't sleep much but at least it's fun to watch her playing with toys and trying to crawl and stuff.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

jassi007 posted:

The library is a godsend. The kids were wearing us out yesterday, went to the library, they played happily by themselves for an hour. They wouldn't leave us alone for 5 minutes in our house without crying, throwing, jumping, breaking or just calling our names, despite having enough things to do and play with to entertain an entire daycare worth of kids. They were just bored of being inside. Take them to the library play area and they can just play as nice and sweet as can be.
++, I was a stay at home dad for several years, "get out of the loving house" is the key to the whole thing. Used to take my little one to SeaWorld, she had little interest in the fish, the rides, or the shows, but enjoyed swinging on the railings and picking the grass. Also, getting out of the house gets me away from paying attention to the laundry, the dishes, the phone, the vacuum, and gets me to pay attention to just her.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

photomikey posted:

++, I was a stay at home dad for several years, "get out of the loving house" is the key to the whole thing. Used to take my little one to SeaWorld, she had little interest in the fish, the rides, or the shows, but enjoyed swinging on the railings and picking the grass. Also, getting out of the house gets me away from paying attention to the laundry, the dishes, the phone, the vacuum, and gets me to pay attention to just her.

Yeah winter is a real bitch. We need to go walk around the mall, Barnes and Noble,and the library more.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I am a stay-at-home mom of three, and the key to my success has always been "keep them busy". We go on adventures almost every day, doing stuff that excites all 3 of them (playgrounds, theme parks, etc) and I make sure they all get naps at some point in the day. People are shocked that my kids are so well-behaved doing stuff out in the world, but I honestly believe it's because we take them out all the time. It's not like a prisoner escaping jail, like it is with some kids that we hang out with on occasion.

Even if it's just grocery shopping - they have big carts that look like racecars, I put the two toddlers in the seats and the one in the bucket seat in the cart and voila, we're on an adventure.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Bird Person posted:

I won't be posting here again for the sake of the thread. Thanks to everyone for trying to help.

Seriously, get a night nurse. They might be expensive, but if the situation is getting worse and nothing else seems to be working you can always call in a professional! You're not a bad parent for asking for help, and you might learn a trick or two for future use.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Konomex posted:

If you're worried about her feeling replaced, the best advise I can offer you is to spend one on one time with her without the new baby every now and again. My daughter has been really good when it comes to her baby sister, but she still gets jealous sometimes. In those cases, I try to get someone else to look after the newborn for a bit and concentrate on her for a bit. Sometimes I cuddle her to sleep, other times I go for a drive with just her or play a puzzle game. It's a lot easier now that my youngest is 7 months and they can interact with one another, and it's also summer here, but it's really about making an effort about it. I also find that she reacts better when I try and get her to "help" look after the baby. Putting the dummy on, if you're using those, getting a nappy out, etc.

With games... I hear you. I found that to be the one of hardest thing actually. Specially since it was winter and I was breastfeeding and just generally unhappy and too sleep deprived to leave the house. I think the advise to take them out to museum and zoos is great, but if you're stuck in the house then I recommend: going on with your house work (laundry, cooking, picking up things) and getting the toddler to "help". The thing is that toddlers don't need to be entertained 24/7 or stimulated all the time. My two year old has these "jobs". Like getting the plates out of the dish washer, or putting the clothes in the wash (I have to hand them to her piece by piece), or pouring the spices in the meat, or stirring the bowl. It takes at least twice as long as normal, but at least you're able to get some work done. Otherwise, jigsaws are awesome and hide and seek is pretty popular (even though she hides in the same place every single time).

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

kells posted:

That was exactly how I felt for the first 4 months or so. Oh my god what have we done, this was a huge mistake, our lives are ruined!!!

She's 7 months now and we still don't sleep much but at least it's fun to watch her playing with toys and trying to crawl and stuff.

If you're like me, that will only get better. The more she develops and learns and grows, the more fun it gets for me. Watching her trying to figure out how language works is just awesome. We've watched her develop a sense of humour, and she's learning new skills every day. Of course there are issues with having a toddler, but I find them so much less draining to deal with because they're more understandable, and between the tantrums she'll sing songs to me, give big kisses, do magic tricks... (seriously! one morning in the bathroom she grabbed a diaper, hid it under her potty, and looked at me: "Where is diaper?" And I went: "What?! The diaper is gone! Where is it?"" and she grinned hugely, lifted the potty with a flourish, and went: "TADA!!!" And I laughed like a loon, so of course she did it for 10 minutes straight, hamming it up like a total goofball. She's earning her keep with the entertainment value alone.)

Anyway, I think some people just aren't baby people. I'm certainly not. But now she's a proper little person, and I genuinely enjoy having her around :)

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Ugh.

I'm getting conflicting advice from my daughters regular doctor, and the public health nurse, and it's super frustrating. I'm going to follow the doctors advice because she's seen my daughter a lot more often but being scolded by a nurse because our daughter lost a pound in 3 months?

My daughter is about 7.5 months and is pretty well established on baby foods/mushy solids as well as having about 20 ounces of formula a day. The nurse tells us OMG that's wayyy too much food and she should be having like 10 more ounces of formula a day. She then shoved a bunch of pamphlets in my face about proper feeding and told me to go read them. The doctor, at 6 months, completely encouraged us to start her on rice cereals and high iron foods and as many different flavours and textures as we could as well as the formula.

3 months ago she was above average in weight. She is now exactly where she 'should' be.

Am I just way off base with how much solids she should get? I tried increasing the amount of formula per feeding by an ounce (which raised her intake to about 25 ounces) but I find she now spits up more. She has her rice cereal in the mornings, and about 3 tablespoons of whatever food at lunch and dinner along with a sippy cup of water and some dessert aka banana chunks or mushed apples or something.

She LOVES eating. She also sleeps 11 hours at night. I dunno what the heck to think.

Sorry this post is all over the place but I'm really frustrated.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Emily A. Stanton posted:

Am I just way off base with how much solids she should get? I tried increasing the amount of formula per feeding by an ounce (which raised her intake to about 25 ounces) but I find she now spits up more. She has her rice cereal in the mornings, and about 3 tablespoons of whatever food at lunch and dinner along with a sippy cup of water and some dessert aka banana chunks or mushed apples or something.

She LOVES eating. She also sleeps 11 hours at night. I dunno what the heck to think.

Sorry this post is all over the place but I'm really frustrated.

Solids should be complementary until age one, so yes, it sounds like you might be going overboard. Formula typically has 20 kcal per ounce, which makes it far more nutrient dense than almost any solids. I would make sure you're offering formula first and then supplementing with high calorie solids (avocado is a good one). That's a pretty big weight loss when you take into account that she should have gained a few pounds.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Didn't you know bananas are gods gift according to her? I will try your advice and see how the little monster goes with it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

I'm can't comment on the food vs formula-proportions, because we just basically nursed and fed her whatever she wanted to eat afterwards,, but re: the weight thing - your kid is now at the age where she''s no longer an immobile lump, but moving and rolling and starting to crawl and really DO stuff all day, and their weight can take a real hit from that. I had a gloriously fat infant, who rapidly doubled her birth weight - and then stayed at that weight for over half a year, because she was on the move all day and burned through everything we fed her. But the nurse wasn't concerned, because she was obviously fit and healthy, just - tiny!

A weight drop at that age is pretty normal, and she sounds perfectly happy and healthy to me :) Weight can be a finicky thing with babies, and the number on the scale has to be seen in correlation to the general state of your kid. Since you say that her doctor has seen her more frequently, I'd just schedule a check-up and ask for a second opinion, that way you can put your own mind at ease, as well as have an answer for anyone else who comments on her weight.

Edit: I got curious and had to dig up the numbers. At her 6 month check-up she weighed 7185 grams (15 pounds). At her one year check-up she weighed 8060 grams, just over 17 pounds. She gained less than a kilo in 6 months, which is pretty drat pathetic for a baby :v: She's now 1,5 years old, and we've finally passed 9,5 kilos (just under 20 pounds) :toot: Thankfully she's kept her chubby cheeks and knuckle dimples throughout it all, and she hardly ever outgrows anything, so she's cheap to keep in clothes.

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 19, 2015