Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

hooman posted:

I was trying to think of other thematically fitting classes and what I could come up with was like a Natural Philosopher/Mad Scientist along the lines of Nikola Tesla and a Battlefield Medic/Sawbones.
Barber with HP and stress heals and bleed attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Wizard Styles posted:

This would be pretty amazing. Complete with nasty looking straight razor.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

Wizard Styles posted:

The healing is done by eating a meat pie.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Barber posted:

Friends, you shall drip rubies
You'll soon drip precious rubies

It's like a mark the merchant can use to make money.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

It would be entirely period-appropriate to give the barber straight up healing skills. Prior to the rise of modern medicine, if you needed surgery or hands-on medical care you'd be more likely to go to a barber than a doctor.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Gabriel Pope posted:

It would be entirely period-appropriate to give the barber straight up healing skills. Prior to the rise of modern medicine, if you needed surgery or hands-on medical care you'd be more likely to go to a barber than a doctor.

How DID that come about as a phenomenon?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bloodly posted:

How DID that come about as a phenomenon?

Doctors were useless eggheads who were mostly concerned about esoteric theories about nonsense, barbers conveniently had sharp implements that they were really handy with and they weren't squeamish.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
It started in monasteries because monks weren't allowed to do surgery, so they had the barbers that shaved their heads do that too. (Like, no poo poo, this is something I remember reading in a book about medical history.)

And yeah, the general view and reality of medical professions was that doctors should be learned men concerned with the balance of the humors and such, but surgery, nah, that's butcher's work. Advances in surgery largely weren't made by doctors up until the later 18th century or so, maybe even later.

Edit: Although not all surgeons were barbers, they were just pooled together due to guild laws. I don't know how many surgeons at the time were university-trained and how many had done an apprenticeship as a barber-surgeon. I'd assume academic surgeons gradually became more common during the Renaissance when the study of anatomy expanded, but idk.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 16, 2015

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Does anyone else think the Merchant's proposed "worse at combat, but get more treasure" shtick is a bad tradeoff for any excursions except for the shortest? I already end up throwing away a bunch of crap because my pack is full. I imagine it would be good if they had something like "pack slots can hold 25% more items" so gold stacks up to 1875 or whatever, but if they do it in a straight up "get 50% more rewards" or "this attack sucks, but you get some gold" kind of way, then it will be worse than just taking along a good character and getting a full haul anyway.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Yeah I just tried a few dark runs, and other than short dark runs, if I do a medium one I just end up with the whole bag full and throwing heaps of gems to the gemgods to make room for better gems.

And even if I don't go dark, medium is pretty certain to clog my inventory already. Is there any reason do to long runs? Other than if you really want the trinket it offers as a reward that is.

Also, I loving hate the occultist. Every time I bring him as a healer, someone dies cause he thinks it's funny to heal for 0 and proc a bleed. Yeah that's an unrelated topic but I gotta vent.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

Glidergun posted:

Does anyone else think the Merchant's proposed "worse at combat, but get more treasure" shtick is a bad tradeoff for any excursions except for the shortest? I already end up throwing away a bunch of crap because my pack is full. I imagine it would be good if they had something like "pack slots can hold 25% more items" so gold stacks up to 1875 or whatever, but if they do it in a straight up "get 50% more rewards" or "this attack sucks, but you get some gold" kind of way, then it will be worse than just taking along a good character and getting a full haul anyway.

I imagine an inventory expansion, complete with the visual of them hauling around a huge rear end sack.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
if advancing the clock had a negative effect or if turns were finite trying to maximize your earnings could be really important, even if it only works out to a few 1000s.

I want way more elements to generate maps with, the huge random element makes for some memorable dungeons already. My best map so far was F-shaped with the entrance one room from the middle. The very first hallway tile in both directions was a wall

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Long dungeons have a better quest reward (money/heirlooms) than the shorter lengths. If you're trying to find more of a certain thing than whatever isn't nailed down it can be nice, or if you're fishing in the warrens/cove for perk removals.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fleve posted:

Also, I loving hate the occultist. Every time I bring him as a healer, someone dies cause he thinks it's funny to heal for 0 and proc a bleed. Yeah that's an unrelated topic but I gotta vent.

For some reason I always picture the Occultist talking like Dr. Orpheus from Venture Brothers.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Who is Brock then? The bounty hunter?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the swine king

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For some reason I always picture the Occultist talking like Dr. Orpheus from Venture Brothers.

No Blackulas to hunt, disappointing.

Unless all the blackulas are in the Darkest Dungeon.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kanos posted:

My favorite part of Darkest Dungeon is that the complete inability to affect what classes arrive on the stagecoach means that I still haven't gotten to try Man At Arms or Houndmaster at all.

Seriously, when MaA came out I played 12 weeks into a new game with a 6 man stagecoach ASAP and never had one show up, then again with Houndmaster the same poo poo happened. I just started the game up to try out the Cove and got 3 weeks of 3 hellions + jester in a row.

What's stopping you from just advancing 50 weeks?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Normal Adult Human posted:

What's stopping you from just advancing 50 weeks?

next posts in this conversation:

Other guy: "You have to send out an expedition every week"
NAH: "just choose shorts and retreat"
Other guy: "That causes a stress and poo poo"
NAH: "so?"
Other guy: "well therefore:"
NAH: "lol"

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILEaRxbF6g

The pizza rolls have razors in them and heal for zero.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Pretty sure they did some sort of tweaking so retreating right away doesn't trigger a bunch of hamlet stuff. Not sure exactly as I've never actually done that, but I did see someone have it not do stress activities on a stream.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I hope we fight evil versions of the heroes in the Darkest Dungeon

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
gently caress any fights that have 2 of those shield octopus things. They throw out a lot of damage and they constantly shield each other, throwing thier prot through the roof and dragging the fight out for ages while they bleed you to death.

Also my occultist just got the shits from bieng electrocuted by a jellyfish. wtf.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Carcer posted:

gently caress any fights that have 2 of those shield octopus things. They throw out a lot of damage and they constantly shield each other, throwing thier prot through the roof and dragging the fight out for ages while they bleed you to death.

Also my occultist just got the shits from bieng electrocuted by a jellyfish. wtf.
This is why you should bring a plague doctor or grave robber along

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The same jellyfish also gave an arbalest stomach cramps. What exactly is it doing with that electric tentacle?

I normally do have a plague doc along, thier utility is great and I like that I can blight stuff and be sure it'll die on its next turn and ignore it.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Closing in on 100% completion. Beat all the bosses, raised 1 of every class to level 6. Now I just need 5 more ancestral trinkets, which I'm pretty sure I can only get by beating the Shambler. Fuuuuuuuuck.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

FourLeaf posted:

Closing in on 100% completion. Beat all the bosses, raised 1 of every class to level 6. Now I just need 5 more ancestral trinkets, which I'm pretty sure I can only get by beating the Shambler. Fuuuuuuuuck.

I believe every Ancestor trinket can be generated in a red long-length mission. Just gotta give it time if you don't want to punch a shambler.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Really enjoying this game and looking forward to the final version.

I like Cove but the Siren boss is very easy. Everybody she mind controlled would blow their turn to self heal which is fine. I also heard she is surprisingly vulnerable to Bleed effects.

I'm finding the addition of corpses tends to be more beneficial than challenging. Killing the front two rows means I can keep spamming Plague Grenade, Abyssal Artillery, etc.

For team comps, I've been meaning to try Houndmaster, Bounty Hunter, Occultist, and Arbalest. All four can mark targets, though whistle and vulnerability hex have nice debuffs. Most also have nice synergy with marked targets and I figure I could unload some big crits vs HP sponges.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think the drowned crew joins the formless flesh as the hardest bosses in the game for basically identical reasons. Both have a self heal, relatively high PROT, and a reliable way of disabling at least one of your party members. I may have been doing it wrong but both of those fights seemed to be mostly just surviving long enough to get a lucky crit or two in a row.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think the drowned crew joins the formless flesh as the hardest bosses in the game for basically identical reasons. Both have a self heal, relatively high PROT, and a reliable way of disabling at least one of your party members. I may have been doing it wrong but both of those fights seemed to be mostly just surviving long enough to get a lucky crit or two in a row.

drowned crew isn't bad if you have powerful frontliners that prioritize killing the anchorman in one or two moves. I used a crusader and a leper with unholy slayer's rings and sun rings, and most of the time it only took one of them to kill the anchorman while the other was free to attack the crew. If more than one hit was needed then my grave robber could finish him off, but otherwise she was stacking blight on the crew.

The most essential part of the fight was bringing about 12 bandages because the bleed the crew inflicted was so devastating. Also my vestal wore Heavy boots to avoid being dragged to the front.

But yeah, the final flesh fight i won solely through luck, especially since no one died even though at one point three of my guys were on death's door at the same time. The only reason I won was because hound's harry was eventually inflicting 9 bleed damage on each individual part and I got lucky criticals. I was terrified.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Really enjoying this game and looking forward to the final version.

I like Cove but the Siren boss is very easy. Everybody she mind controlled would blow their turn to self heal which is fine. I also heard she is surprisingly vulnerable to Bleed effects.

I'm finding the addition of corpses tends to be more beneficial than challenging. Killing the front two rows means I can keep spamming Plague Grenade, Abyssal Artillery, etc.

For team comps, I've been meaning to try Houndmaster, Bounty Hunter, Occultist, and Arbalest. All four can mark targets, though whistle and vulnerability hex have nice debuffs. Most also have nice synergy with marked targets and I figure I could unload some big crits vs HP sponges.

I've been rolling with that exact party comp and it's working out pretty well. Heals from the arbalester and occultist synergise nicely as well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man, the 2-firewood length "very long" missions are beyond loving tedious. I'm so tired of navigating through so much poo poo and half dead by the end, it's just way too goddamn much. I just really hate the "find these 3 things in a huge goddamn area" too, maybe it's just me but certain dungeons seem even bigger than before.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I never do the find three things missions, because I can never find all three. I'll get to the last room and just quit the mission since somewhere along the way I missed a thing. Long is usually a great payout, and I like the camping mechanic being more involved. It's a neat idea but gets played out very statically. Either get buffs and roll a mission or heal stress before leaving.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The Narrator has a line that goes something like "An earth shattering blow, the ground trembles!" when you score a crit and it sounds like Tom Hardy's Bane is talking to me without his mask. I could get behind Bane sending the heroes to thier dooms.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"You merely scrabbled around in the dark because you inexplicably get better treasure if you don't have torches. I was born in it, molded by it."

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The monsters know to put thier shiny things away when they see torch light. You're catching them admiring thier nice things and then killing them for it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Did they improve self buffs? I generally find many of them lacking compared to other abilities. Self heals pull you out of deaths door, some buff your whole party, but abilities like Take Aim don't seem worth it in lieu of simply attacking.

Is the Man at Arms still hilariously overpowered? I beat Swine God simply by spamming Riposite. I got a lot of crits and just bashed that piggy to death.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Panfilo posted:

Did they improve self buffs? I generally find many of them lacking compared to other abilities. Self heals pull you out of deaths door, some buff your whole party, but abilities like Take Aim don't seem worth it in lieu of simply attacking.

Is the Man at Arms still hilariously overpowered? I beat Swine God simply by spamming Riposite. I got a lot of crits and just bashed that piggy to death.

MaA is still good, but he's gotten toned down a bit. Self buffs are still meh for the most part, but Take Aim is now Tracking Shot which at least does a little damage to add to the buff. It ain't much, but you can cherry tap with it or tack on some damage first round and get a buff.

Kooriken fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 21, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

As it stands now for tracking shot, over the course of the initial round and the 3 round buff it will give you (max rank) an extra damage per round. You will do 8 ish less damage in the first round, then 3 more damage every round after that.

Useful if you only need to do 1 or 2 points of damage to finish something, but usually not worth it compared to frontloading your damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

They just sent out a survey to backers regarding the Kickstarter-exclusive class variant:

Red Hook Games posted:

Thank you for supporting Darkest Dungeon by backing at the Adventurer tier or higher ($40+). One of the rewards at this level is the exclusive Kickstarter Variant class, which will be a full aesthetic variant of an existing class, complete with all new art, sound, fx, and dialogue.

Make your choice below! We'll produce the variant that gets the most votes.
1. Which exclusive variant class would you like to vote for?

Witch (Occultist variant): Mumbling, incoherent, and distracted - the Witch channels eldritch forces with ancient rites and forgotten rituals. She works her mortar and pestle furiously - grinding out a dizzying array of noxious incenses, while all manner of curious charms and fetishes hang from her ragged dress.

Heretic (Crusader variant): A disgraced knight; victim to the insidious whispers of chaos. He stands in ragged chainmail, wielding a heavy battleaxe. This merciless maniac lives only to spread death and destruction, but perhaps his zeal for bloodshed can be used for a noble purpose...

Musketeer (Arbalest variant): A cultured upbringing and years of training have produced one of the finest marksmen this side of the great ocean. Victorious in countless contests but never tested in battle, she clothes herself in the finery of the aristocracy. She is haughty and arrogant, taking careful aim with rifle and wit, and rarely missing with either.

We plan to release this class when we reach full release on January 19, 2016.