Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

Played my first Takeover match yesterday and lost. My chemflamer ganger got captured again (after being taken out by a charging Van Saar high on Combat Drugs card). My opponent failed to wound me with Melta twice in a row. He has the "make guns cool, but unstable" territory, so he lost two guys to Lasgun explosions (I only took out one). My Leader's bolter ran out of ammo as soon as she arrived on the table. My rogue doc rolled a 6 to heal my CI'd ganger. I rolled 30 creds between mission rewards and two Settlements that I have. I'm now at 35. My two gangers leveled-up and rolled Willpower or Int increase. My -1 T Youth got +1T.

All in all, Necromunda would be better with some tighter rules (can you charge into smoke? Where did "always miss on 1" go? Who thought those two "lol, remove ganger from game" cards were a good idea? Do sentries spot if critically wounded?) and territory balancing, yeah.

That Wip/Int increase is a kicker. My best ganger, hero of many games, possible all round favourite model, has rolled it 2 out of 2 times now. He's 1xp from his 3rd advance, and I swear, if he rolls it again . . .

Guildencrantz posted:

I'm starting a Necromunda campaign with some friends this month, excited as gently caress. We all used to play warhams together in high school and this is our first time moving plastic mans around in like a decade so we're all absolutely thrilled (plus thank God for skirmish games and their ability to be manageable for people with jobs and families). I'm one or two painting sessions away from finishing my Escher gang too, I'll post them in this thread as soon as they're done!

So, question for the Necromunda vets of the thread: what are some good tactics against Cawdor? The internet says they're a weak gang, but the guy playing them in my group is really good at strategy/tactics games so it'll definitely still be a challenge. From reading the rulebook and our early skirmish games I have a decent grasp on fighting conventionally shooty gangs, but the sheer amount of firey template weapons he's going to be fielding frankly scares me, especially being a CC gang.

So there's not a specific defence against numbers or good tactics in Necromunda, gangs really do have more similarities than differences. I suppose against flamers I would try and shoot them down out of range, or dispose your guys around terrain so he can't get several at once. I would say that Champions/Leaders might be better prepared to front up against a (single) flamer model since they can tank one wound before going down, but blaze will always be a big problem. Nerves of Steel, the ferocity skill, is probably the game's premier way to get cc models able to charge even in the face of auto-hitting close range fire. It's considered a vital skill for Goliaths.

The best way to get him before he gets you is simply about movement and thinking one move ahead to where he can shoot at you effectively. When activation starts, you will be wanting to move single models in unimportant areas (ie not in direct contact with the enemy) in order to force your opponent to 'show his hand' by moving models which are at a critical point but don't yet have a great shoot or charge opportunity this round. Once gangs are directly facing each other, you want to group activate with your powerful models and/or take down the enemy fighters who present the biggest immediate threat. In general, try and target fighters who are 'readied' and in a good position, by taking them out/down you are robbing your opponent of the ability to affect play in that round. I often see my friends focus overly on one part of the board - eg I shoot my sniper, they activate a model to shoot back, but my sniper has already spent his activation this round! They should be trying to bring down my close combat Champion in another part of the board, because he is ready to charge someone.

Unfortunately if your opponent is savvy and a Cawdor player who focuses on numbers, it will be difficult to leverage a real advantage from activation order when playing against him. One main way to get bang out of activations is big group activations to get the drop at a critical point. Commanding Presence can help this; overall it relies either on winning Priority or your opponent flubbing his attempt to do the same, or seeing a different critical point to you and using an activation there instead. The other is to make unimportant or shaping activations until he has to activate his truly dangerous models while they still aren't in their ideal position. Then you have freedom to activate (ideally a few models) at the end of the round, getting the drop on him that way. Both these are dependent on luck, numbers and player skill.

Good luck with your campaign and let us know how it goes!

ineptmule posted:

We just banned them and removed them from the decks. They are dreadful.

glitchkrieg posted:

Yeah, those cards are under fierce debate in the campaign at my club (that I'm not taking part in, boooo).

There has been no use of un-fun tactics in my group yet, fingers crossed. I think I'm lucky to have found a chill bunch. I am not a fan of the way tactics have been spread across gang packs (for generic tactics, not even gang-specific ones, which would have been understandable) or of the substantial amount of money it would take to buy all the options officially. The tactics also seem poorly balanced or better fitted to a random draw system, being wildly unequal in power. Even the 'take out an enemy fighter poo poo bust on a 4+' types set aside, there are cards that give you an extra action with some restrictions, cards which give you an extra action with no restrictions, and cards which let you take 3 'shoot' actions at the outset of the game. These are in no way equal and seem to have ramped up in power with more recent gang packs. Pretty silly given you can cherrypick the best ones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Titan and bfg renders

goodness fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 7, 2019

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

Warlord resin Quake Cannon and Macro Gatling Blaster weapons, new plastic buildings and transfers all coming soon for AT.

The main AT presentation is tomorrow morning so hopefully they have a bit more to show.

I am unreasonably excited about the Spires kit.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish the decal sheets would offer checkerboard patterns for more than just the volcano cannon armor plates on the warlord

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Failson posted:

Wouldn't be too hard to find a more...*imperial* use for them now, would it?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Failson posted:

Turn them sideways and it's a BFG starter set.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Played a bunch of Speed Freeks at a little con in Rhode Island this weekend, including a 7 player mega race (not recommended). Game is stupid fun and pretty quick (if you don’t have seven people around the table). Bought up a bunch of buggies and bike sets woo!

Also grabbed the Adeptus Titanicus rules box on deep discount because the vendor didn’t want to schlep stuff home. I don’t own any of the models but we can proxy on the right size bases while I wait for my bank loan to clear so as to afford them.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

MrFlibble posted:

Wouldn't be too hard to find a more...*imperial* use for them now, would it?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Turn them sideways and it's a BFG starter set.

So many useful uses!

Remember the Forgeworld Ramillies Starfort? That kit looks like it will make a better one, easily. And probably still come out cheaper than the original.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

head58 posted:

Played a bunch of Speed Freeks at a little con in Rhode Island this weekend, including a 7 player mega race (not recommended). Game is stupid fun and pretty quick (if you don’t have seven people around the table). Bought up a bunch of buggies and bike sets woo!

Also grabbed the Adeptus Titanicus rules box on deep discount because the vendor didn’t want to schlep stuff home. I don’t own any of the models but we can proxy on the right size bases while I wait for my bank loan to clear so as to afford them.

Good to hear about Speed Freeks. Why wouldn't you recommend a big game? Just slow?

I've got a Warlord for cheap if you're interested - ships from CT.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Good to hear about Speed Freeks. Why wouldn't you recommend a big game? Just slow?

I've got a Warlord for cheap if you're interested - ships from CT.

It was slow and there was a complete jam-up in the first turn. We had to ignore the Kunnin phase entirely and just go by “who’s in first” initiative because if someone in back went first they wouldn’t be able to move at all. Once we did that things flowed a little better but I think it gave an advantage to the player already in front (me) in staying there.

I’m interested in hearing more about this warlord. I live in central MA so we may not even need to deal with shipping.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I don't have PMs anymore, so email me at portablezombie at gmail.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Overwatch is a trash skill for garbage GSC players who also put familiars on their snipers

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Hey dudes, pretty happy with my prototype for a AT Reaver Titan but its Tau

Nothing is glued so everything can be changed. Weapons will be magnetized and the torso, arms and legs can all be detached for easy transport.

Can I get some feedback and suggestions?

e; inspired from this guy from mass effect

https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/YMIR_Mech

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

Nothing is glued so everything can be changed. Weapons will be magnetized and the torso, arms and legs can all be detached for easy transport.

E: I made a bad post.

I don't think this works for what you're going for. The details on it are too chunky for something that's supposed to be titan sized, so it just looks like some sort of generic medium robot. If you add some finer scale details to emphasize that it's 20m tall it'll make it fit for titanicus a lot better. You should also take a second look at the ankles. Most tau models have some sort of ball joint at the feet, and you've got some sort of weird almost filigreed thing that looks nothing like anything else on the model. I would take a look at the stormsurge and ta'unar for lower leg inspiration.

Booley fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 17, 2019

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I like it Moola. Doesn't really fit AT for me, but I like it as a gundam like scifi bot.

EDIT:

Booley posted:

The proportions are bad

Booley posted:

it doesn't look remotely functional

These are loving awful criticisms from someone that buys Games Workshop miniatures, btw.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 17, 2019

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

the reaver Tautan needs Big Gunz

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It needs work, but it is definitely way more Tau than I expected. Nice.

Booley posted:

It looks like poo poo v0v

suggestions: throw it in the trash and start over. Literally everything about it looks terrible. The proportions are bad, it doesn't look remotely functional, and the scale of the details is entirely wrong for something that's titan sized.

Jesus Christ, chill out my dude.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Booley posted:

It looks like poo poo v0v

suggestions: throw it in the trash and start over. Literally everything about it looks terrible. The proportions are bad, it doesn't look remotely functional, and the scale of the details is entirely wrong for something that's titan sized.

Why are you so mad all the time?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What a terrible post from a terrible poster.

I love the chunky thighs, it’s a v good bot. I’m definitely getting the geth/cerberus vibes from it.

The only thing that sticks out too much is the missile pod, something a little lower/streamlined might fit better.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

E: I made a bad post.

Thank you for making the correction on your own. I appreciate how everyone here policed themselves and made it clear what isn't appropriate.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
If you have two missile pods maybe one on each shoulder, otherwise I like it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Moola posted:

I think the torsos are a little squished. When you look at a Tau Battlesuit, they're more wide along the shoulders, to the point of being at or just past the hip area; it then tapers down towards the waist, almost to a V-like shape. This design aesthetic follows up to the Riptide too, so it's clear it would scale well for something closer to AT scale. I'd bulk them out a bit along the shoulder area. I do agree with Booley on the point of adding some finer details, especially more Tau-like bitz for it, as well as the ankle area.

The rest looks good though, for what you're trying to go for.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't know what to expect for your scratch-built titan, and I gotta say I'm impressed. Good job.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
It looks much better as a 28mm than a 6mm figure.

At 6mm you need small details that show the scale. The Warlord Titan is full of them.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks for the criticisms guys, I also noticed the lack of tiny details does make it look more like a chunky battlesuit.

I'll try adding some panel lines and maybe some finer detailing

For_Great_Justice posted:

If you have two missile pods maybe one on each shoulder, otherwise I like it.

I thought about doing this but then that makes it not fit the profile of a Reaver, which always has one big turret on it's hunched back.

I'll try and mess with the proportions a bit too so it looks a bit more like a traditional Tau shaped robot.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

If anything then bulk out its chest a bit, everything else sort of looks like big limbs hooked to a tiny body.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Looks good. And indeed, bulk out the chest and shoulders, add some small greebles, and it's a fine scratchbuilt titan.

Now that I think of it, don't all Tau suits have heads on them? Add a teeeeeny head somewhere.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Here's a quick and dirty chest edit using the front plate of a Broadside

Also rotated both shoulders 90 degrees to match up with Reaver shoulder pads a bit better

Thoughts?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Failson posted:

Now that I think of it, don't all Tau suits have heads on them? Add a teeeeeny head somewhere.

Yeah agreed, I may even add a couple extra tiny heads to emphasise how big it is

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

Here's a quick and dirty chest edit using the front plate of a Broadside

Also rotated both shoulders 90 degrees to match up with Reaver shoulder pads a bit better

Thoughts?

That looks a lot more tau-like!

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

That looks better. With the arms tucked in an maybe adjust the legs to be closer to the torso, maybe by cutting the bottom half inch off the chest it'll look closer to the mass effect bot.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So we are approaching the end of our Necromunda campaign. It's been a blast but I do see why the rulebook recommends a time limit (suggested 7 weeks). It seems really short, but if you are enthused and play a couple games each weekend, you sort of feel you've done enough after 2 months.

My gang is very nearly undefeated (won 12-15 games or thereabouts and lost 1, a single-champion mulitplayer game) and currently about 4100 gang rating. My leader and champions are pretty nails, to put it lightly.

We had a great 3-player 'Gang Moot' scenario this weekend. You start with your leaders in the centre of the board, and scatter all other fighters (min distance from leaders and any other fighters, friend or foe). The leaders are the only ones who start ready and they are obviously quite likely to fight immediately. Other fighters need to be within 12" of shots fired (or be attacked themselves) before they can become aware of the fighting and start activating. Makes a really fun mission as fighting slowly spreads across the board, and when it does lots of fighters are paired off, rather than being in big mobs in deployment zones. I'm happy to say my leader took his chainaxe to both opposing leaders in succession.

A few things have become apparent about the Dominion campaign. Not all territories are equal and the income from them, especially, needs to be controlled or made flatter in my opinion. Second, the system of deriving income from each game played can lead people into some weird places. It is not very suitable for a larger group where players have disparate availability or engagement in the campaign - possibly this also needs to be controlled. I would consider having a list of 'major battles' which could be limited in number and be from a set of the missions (usually those with big gangs on the board) and another of 'minor battles' that players could fight out without gaining income, or only gaining limited income.

There are plenty of issues with general skills/kit/gang balance as well. Plenty of auto takes, some gangs' kit is far stronger than others. Was surprised to see how you can not only take lascannons or other very heavy kit, which I expected, but how you could get 2+ armour saves in Necromunda! I get that my instinctive WTF reaction may be illogical, it could just be the flipside of powerful weaponry, but it seems wrong to have leaders/champions who have such a high chance to shrug off normal weapons, or even powerful things like bolters/plasmaguns.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Crosspostin'

This guy's about as done as he's going to get, the Legio Mortis transfers are out of stock and being reprinted, and I need to do some experiments before I start basing them.

Dexter Cruor
The Red Right Hand

Moola I would let my robot be friends with your robot

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

adamantium|wang posted:

Crosspostin'

This guy's about as done as he's going to get, the Legio Mortis transfers are out of stock and being reprinted, and I need to do some experiments before I start basing them.

Dexter Cruor
The Red Right Hand

:krad:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

adamantium|wang posted:

Crosspostin'

Dexter Cruor
The Red Right Hand

I like your big stompy boi <3

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finally played my first two kill team games. I really like how fast it is to setup and play. The end game stuff is a bit fiddly to me with how teams can break.

Our first mission was a weird death world one, where both players start in sort of the middle of the board, had half movement speed, and have a chance of taking damage when they move. The mission goal was to run off the edge of the board, but we shot at each other instead of running for it.

My kill team was these guys:

Probably not optimal, but I really like how ruststalkers look. I might drop one or two of them for a few more vanguard.

I forgot to take many photos of the first mission. It was against tempestus scions. My commander was picked off pretty quickly, and then my sniper. The ruststalkers didn't end up doing a whole lot, unfortunately. I also kept forgetting to roll or use my canticles.

I lost, I was tabled.

Next game was against Blood Angels.
Setup:

After first movement:

It started OK for me, but he immediately went for my sniper and picked him off.

My ruststalkers on the left and right did some good work, but the one in the middle and my power sword ranger did jack squat, and the intercessors just punched them to death.

Then my army broke or whatever it is, and it was game over. It felt a bit anti-climatic. I had about 3 or 4 guys left on the table at that point.

It was nice that the games went fast, and the smaller variety of units meant that I spent less time looking up movement and other stats. I really like seeing all the units in a full size 40k game, especially vehicles, but I can see Kill Team being my go-to game for the average gaming night, and 40k being for special all day gaming occasions.

I also really like that so many kill team boxes came with terrain. Even though we've barely painted it, it helps a ton in giving the games atmosphere.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Sigh, the Kill Team Wall of Martyr's box I got my FLGS to ship in from GW is damaged. They don't pack buffer material between the sprues and board and so the jagged spikes on the trench gouge chunks out of the gameboard and bend en route. That's pretty drat annoying as I was really looking forward to gaming on it and any shipped replacement will probably suffer the same fate.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

That's weird, the Sector Fronteris box I ordered recently had the assembly instructions between the sprues and the cards & board. Sounds like yours was mispacked. Ask GW for a replacement if the damage is bad.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Plavski posted:

Sigh, the Kill Team Wall of Martyr's box I got my FLGS to ship in from GW is damaged. They don't pack buffer material between the sprues and board and so the jagged spikes on the trench gouge chunks out of the gameboard and bend en route. That's pretty drat annoying as I was really looking forward to gaming on it and any shipped replacement will probably suffer the same fate.

The good news is that you get free terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Zark the Damned posted:

That's weird, the Sector Fronteris box I ordered recently had the assembly instructions between the sprues and the cards & board. Sounds like yours was mispacked. Ask GW for a replacement if the damage is bad.

I looked up a review of the box and they had packed the instructions next to the sprue in that one so yeah, mispack. The hassle of return is a bummer though and I could live with the damaged board, but why should I? From what I hear gw customer support is great though, so hopefully I'll get assistance.