Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I'm looking for some sort of MTG card database that will let me search by a specific ability. Specifically- "pay or do X and return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield" So zombie type like cards i.e. dread wanderer, haunted dead, stitchwing, prized amalgam etc.

I can't find a good MTG card database that will let me search for this ability. Maybe I'm wording it wrong in the search terms, but I've tried a lot of variations. Can someone please tell me how I can locate Standard legal cards with this ability only?

I appreciate the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Subways Jared posted:

I'm looking for some sort of MTG card database that will let me search by a specific ability. Specifically- "pay or do X and return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield" So zombie type like cards i.e. dread wanderer, haunted dead, stitchwing, prized amalgam etc.

I can't find a good MTG card database that will let me search for this ability. Maybe I'm wording it wrong in the search terms, but I've tried a lot of variations. Can someone please tell me how I can locate Standard legal cards with this ability only?

I appreciate the help.

magiccards.info can let you search by text. Not with the EXACT ability, since there's variations on it, but if you include the key words, you should have a good search going.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Second magiccards.info, it's more robust than gatherer without all the fluff that slows down the site & ocassionally breaks queries.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Subways Jared posted:

I appreciate the help.

This has a few misses but should cover everything.

http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3A...&v=card&s=cname

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

If there's an MMO where combat with an enemy was playing a match of Magic the Gathering, and PvP took place in PvP zones where you challenged other players to ante MTG matches, and the correct strategy was to group up and chain challenge someone to PvP matches over and over with a swarm of cheap rear end monored decks until you managed to win more valuable cards than the cheap red cards you lost, they'd at least get a bunch of goons playing.

multiplayer shandalar would be neat

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

bigperm posted:

When I do searches like this I also like to use phrases such as o:"graveyard to the battlefield". One benefit of Magic's consistent templating is that once you know how an ability is worded, you can usually find all instances of it pretty easily.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Elyv posted:

Cuneo was known before MODO existed btw

Reid Duke and I think Brad Nelson first became known as MODO grinders though

Wasn't Brad Nelson the guy that wrote about how he lived out of his car for like 4 months driving around the country trying to get in as many sanctioned events as possible so he could grind out enough points to get on the PT?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Subways Jared posted:

I appreciate the help.

http://www.cardkingdom.com/search/mtg should do what you want in general.

http://www.cardkingdom.com/catalog/...elect%5D=anyfor the specific search

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 7, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Hey MTG judges, what am I doing wrong? Why can I not sacrifice Chromatic Sphere after the cost on Thoughtcast is locked in? LOL MTGO?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

I'd unironically like to planeswalk in a game and check out Dominaria, Ravnica, Lorwyn, etc. in glorious 3D. I don't have high hopes for it being a good game.

Kamigawa will be mysteriously absent

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Hellsau posted:

Hey MTG judges, what am I doing wrong? Why can I not sacrifice Chromatic Sphere after the cost on Thoughtcast is locked in? LOL MTGO?

The same reason you can't tap and put a fatal -0/-1 counter on a Wall of Roots to cast a Chord of Calling. So yes, lol MTGO.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Hellsau posted:

Mana abilities are broken on MTGO, that's why Signets always have to be used before casting

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Wasn't Brad Nelson the guy that wrote about how he lived out of his car for like 4 months driving around the country trying to get in as many sanctioned events as possible so he could grind out enough points to get on the PT?

Ya that book was written about him.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ThePeavstenator posted:

The same reason you can't tap and put a fatal -0/-1 counter on a Wall of Roots to cast a Chord of Calling. So yes, lol MTGO.

myDad posted:

Mana abilities are broken on MTGO, that's why Signets always have to be used before casting

Jesus WotC this isn't some obscure interaction, come on. At least I was playing against Slide and therefore couldn't lose so I don't have to bother submitting a report.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
City of Heroes but with planeswalkers would be cool

considering WOTC brass and their boner for emulating Marvel/DC there's actually a > 0% chance it could happen

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

myDad posted:

Second magiccards.info, it's more robust than gatherer without all the fluff that slows down the site & ocassionally breaks queries.

Does magiccards.info still include ktk cards if you use f:standard?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't know about that part, but kingcobweb's review of the book does not have anything nice to say about the book: http://blog.killgold.fish/2011/07/book-grinder-brad-nelson-story-by-rich.html

"Speaking of time, Brad is running out of it, and fast." I mean, if you can make some money off of your hobby and do well at it, I don't have a problem. But he gave up anything resembling stability because he just could not put Magic down.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
!tugcount

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
If I can't be a goblin it will already by worse than WoW. Though from the description, they just said 'AAA' RPG, so I have no idea where people are getting that it's an MMO; God knows PWE/Cryptic have enough of those floating about. I'm expecting something with about as much resemblance to the source franchise as Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Elyv posted:

Does magiccards.info still include ktk cards if you use f:standard?

Yeah, you have to manually select the blocks in standard.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

scryfall.com is the best mtg search site now, it's basically a clone of magiccards.info but run by people who actually update it immediately when there's a new set rather than dragging their feet for weeks.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

bigperm posted:

Much obliged for this, and thanks everyone for the different suggestions. I bookmarked them all for future situations like this.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tales of Woe posted:

scryfall.com is the best mtg search site now, it's basically a clone of magiccards.info but run by people who actually update it immediately when there's a new set rather than dragging their feet for weeks.

Then need a feature that makes proxies for you l like magiccards.info has.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Star Man posted:

I don't know about that part, but kingcobweb's review of the book does not have anything nice to say about the book: http://blog.killgold.fish/2011/07/book-grinder-brad-nelson-story-by-rich.html

"Speaking of time, Brad is running out of it, and fast." I mean, if you can make some money off of your hobby and do well at it, I don't have a problem. But he gave up anything resembling stability because he just could not put Magic down.

Didn't he also break up with his fiance over it, too?

It is kind of depressing. I think his family was one of the ones they interviewed for that Magic documentary, and it was pretty loving obvious from their mannerisms that his parents were super disappointed in his decisions despite the words coming out of their mouths.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
So, here's a story update:

Part 1: Bolas murders the plane.

Part 2: One of Liliana's demon pals gets ready to murder the plane.

How will our heroes defeat a 60-year-old plan made by an ancient dragon genius AND an incredibly powerful demon? Through the power of deus ex nissa, of course, since LEYLINES do everything now, apparently.

Oh also WotC is ripping off the 10 plagues and it's almost guaranteed to offend people

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

myDad posted:

!tugcount

What's this a reference to?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Marketing New Brain posted:

What's this a reference to?

He tugged on his shirt ever few seconds in the finals matches the last couple of weekends. Like 60+ times, twitch made a joke of it and counted.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

The best modern deck at the moment runs a lot of blue and has snapcasters. What a world we live in.

It'll get banned out much like the last time this happened

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

TheKingofSprings posted:

It'll get banned out much like the last time this happened

Modern has a best deck, it's pretty good, must get banned.

Standard has one deck, it's really the only deck you should play, working as intended.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

So I have a rules question that I can't find the answer to anywhere. If I'm playing against someone with a Thunderbreak Regent on the field and I cast a Crush of Tentacles, does the Thunderbreak deal damage to me or not? The guy I was playing with obviously said it does because the dragons are being affected but I said it didn't because I wasn't specifically targeting any of the dragons. I've only been playing magic for like a month so I'm probably wrong but I can't find an answer anywhere to tell me.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Crush doesn't target. You don't take damage.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TwistedNails posted:

He tugged on his shirt ever few seconds in the finals matches the last couple of weekends. Like 60+ times, twitch made a joke of it and counted.

there's nothing more riveting that watching an obese man think

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ChaosReaper posted:

So I have a rules question that I can't find the answer to anywhere. If I'm playing against someone with a Thunderbreak Regent on the field and I cast a Crush of Tentacles, does the Thunderbreak deal damage to me or not? The guy I was playing with obviously said it does because the dragons are being affected but I said it didn't because I wasn't specifically targeting any of the dragons. I've only been playing magic for like a month so I'm probably wrong but I can't find an answer anywhere to tell me.

Spells that target say target. If it doesn't say target, it doesn't target.

Shock targets, so it says target. Pyroclasm does not target, so it does not say target. There's no implicit targeting.

Even though Duneblast seems like it should target the creature you choose, it's not targeting, because it doesn't literally have the word "target".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also, auras target even though they don't say "target"

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

but only when cast! Lol

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Would there be a deckbuilding/strategy thread about the Amonkhet set? I'm​ in some sort of local 60 card draft tourney thing, and since I haven't played since Scourge I was hoping I could get some pointers. The draft/brewhaus threads don't seem very active.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

cheetah7071 posted:

On one hand, they say that in that they target in the reminder text.

On the other hand, the last time they used the reminder text for auras was Tenth Edition a decade ago.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Would there be a deckbuilding/strategy thread about the Amonkhet set? I'm​ in some sort of local 60 card draft tourney thing, and since I haven't played since Scourge I was hoping I could get some pointers. The draft/brewhaus threads don't seem very active.

are you looking for drafting advice or constructed advice?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I might be a little confused, but I think it's more like constructed thing? We started with six packs to ourselves to make a 40 card deck, then had three drafting sessions with three packs each to finish up to sixty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Today's story update: Nicol Bolas casts Damnation.