Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
With so much video conferencing going on now maybe Apple has finally decided to throw out their warehouse sized stash of 720p camera sensors and put in a really nice webcam. That might be worth a notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Remember they did that ad last year about video calls and never showed the Mac camera feed

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

doingitwrong posted:

Mac OS’ defining UI feature is a menu bar that runs across the top of the screen with no serious constraints about how many menus or mini icons that can go up there. There is no way they are dropping a notch into the middle of that.

Ios used to have a lot of useful stuff in the status bar until they compromised it. On the small phones, it's really bad. They would definitely gently caress it up for osx and call it "courage". After which Dell and HP will start adding notches.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

anothergod posted:

I know you made up that number but you could get 4 external 2TB SSDs for $400.

God the apple tax. Jfc. It's like Stockholm syndrome

Plugging an external device in to get basic functionality? You clearly don't understand the apple ethos.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Plugging an external device in to get basic functionality? You clearly don't understand the apple ethos.

Why do you need lots of storage when icloud exists?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

akadajet posted:

three reasons. I have a 50-100 plus gig music library I need to haul around with me. In the before times and after times I DJ a specific type of dance music sometimes which involves travel and flights, and so I need that local. Also, for said weekend trips I like having my movies anywhere movies downloaded on my laptop (though that one isn't as big of a deal). I'm considering starting a youtube channel around my job, which means I would want plenty of local space. Lastly, I keep (and cloned and backed up and all that) a large stock photo library for my job, but I like making sure I always have that available for me locally. Will I back up stuff to externals? Of course. One back up isn't a back up, if it's all on site and all that. But that's why having at least a 1 TB seems smart to me. As for my current laptop (a 13 inch MacBook pro from 2015 I bought used for $650 on Ebay three summers ago) it only has 128 SSD and it's brutally small. The 16 gigs of ram is solid though. The more I think about it, I think the 1TB 32 Gigs of Ram is probably the sweet spot, and then two or three portable SSD's.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

akadajet posted:

what

akadajet posted:

Ios used to have a lot of useful stuff in the status bar until they compromised it. On the small phones, it's really bad. They would definitely gently caress it up for osx and call it "courage". After which Dell and HP will start adding notches.

“a lot of useful stuff”

like what?? what do you need to see in the status bar besides whether your phone is on wifi/cell, the battery, and the time (maybe)?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mediaphage posted:

what

“a lot of useful stuff”

like what?? what do you need to see in the status bar besides whether your phone is on wifi/cell, the battery, and the time (maybe)?

Yeah. There are issues with the OS, but overall I'm fine with the UI of how it's looking these days. Honestly the main issue these days is them rolling out all their hardware which Monday will help course correct. Looking forward to having all the new machines out (really curious what the final form of the iMac large looks like, and hopefully an external stand alone monitor).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Yeah. There are issues with the OS, but overall I'm fine with the UI of how it's looking these days. Honestly the main issue these days is them rolling out all their hardware which Monday will help course correct. Looking forward to having all the new machines out (really curious what the final form of the iMac large looks like, and hopefully an external stand alone monitor).

is there any solid expectation that fat imac comes out next week though? i thought this was new macbooks and mayyyyybe a mac mini “pro”

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mediaphage posted:

is there any solid expectation that fat imac comes out next week though? i thought this was new macbooks and mayyyyybe a mac mini “pro”

rumors point to Spring or WWDC. Nobody expects them on Monday. the stand alone monitor is likely WWDC too if it's even this year. Both are smaller products though so in terms of leaks I wouldn't be surprised if we hear very little about them till they actually launch. Laptops, iPads, and phones are made in such larger quantities and are so much more popular as products they're easier to get leaks on is my understanding of that stuff.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LionArcher posted:

three reasons. I have a 50-100 plus gig music library I need to haul around with me. In the before times and after times I DJ a specific type of dance music sometimes which involves travel and flights, and so I need that local. Also, for said weekend trips I like having my movies anywhere movies downloaded on my laptop (though that one isn't as big of a deal). I'm considering starting a youtube channel around my job, which means I would want plenty of local space. Lastly, I keep (and cloned and backed up and all that) a large stock photo library for my job, but I like making sure I always have that available for me locally. Will I back up stuff to externals? Of course. One back up isn't a back up, if it's all on site and all that. But that's why having at least a 1 TB seems smart to me. As for my current laptop (a 13 inch MacBook pro from 2015 I bought used for $650 on Ebay three summers ago) it only has 128 SSD and it's brutally small. The 16 gigs of ram is solid though. The more I think about it, I think the 1TB 32 Gigs of Ram is probably the sweet spot, and then two or three portable SSD's.

So mostly music and movie piracy. Just get an Apple Music and Apple TV sub.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

akadajet posted:

lmao are you like a parody of an apple user

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao are you like a parody of an apple user

Just a huge Ted Lasso fan.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mediaphage posted:

what

“a lot of useful stuff”

I need to know if I’m on 5g or 5g edge

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this is a dumb bit

LionArcher posted:

rumors point to Spring or WWDC. Nobody expects them on Monday. the stand alone monitor is likely WWDC too if it's even this year. Both are smaller products though so in terms of leaks I wouldn't be surprised if we hear very little about them till they actually launch. Laptops, iPads, and phones are made in such larger quantities and are so much more popular as products they're easier to get leaks on is my understanding of that stuff.

is there any proof that there is even a cheaper standalone monitor in the works or is this just fantasy? i mean i like the idea of one, too, though i'm not sure if they'll bother with, say, 120Hz

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mediaphage posted:

this is a dumb bit

Turn your monitor on.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

mediaphage posted:

this is a dumb bit

is there any proof that there is even a cheaper standalone monitor in the works or is this just fantasy? i mean i like the idea of one, too, though i'm not sure if they'll bother with, say, 120Hz

No concrete proof, but people have been bitching at Apple that they need to produce a decent, less expensive monitor than the Pro Display XDR.. and there are rumors that along with the new AS Mac Pros, Apple has been developing a less expensive display. Until they came out with the Pro Display, there was a gap of three years when they didn't sell ANY of their own monitors and it got people to complain bitterly. For a lot of people, coaching LG to step it up with their displays just wasn't enough..

People were buying the Apple Thunderbolt display (which had TB2 cabling) right up until they pulled it, they had been selling it unmodified for five years straight from 2011 to 2016, it's not a reach to imagine that they're working on a TB3 / new MagSafe equivalent.

It'd be great if they announced the TB3 display on Monday along with the new rMBPs, but there's been literally nothing from the supply chain sources to confirm it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 16, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Look at current pricing of the high end 13 on the website. I’m guessing they may raise base to just a straight $1999.99

I priced out the specs I would want with those. $2400 for 32 gigs 1tb of space, or $2800 for 2tb.

They kept the price the same or lowered the price of the products they already moved from Intel to Apple Silicon, I doubt they jack the price up of these new units

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FCKGW posted:

They kept the price the same or lowered the price of the products they already moved from Intel to Apple Silicon, I doubt they jack the price up of these new units

Yeah but these are “pro” laptops which means the sky’s the limit as far as Tim Apple is concerned.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

akadajet posted:

Yeah but these are “pro” laptops which means the sky’s the limit as far as Tim Apple is concerned.

you’re just hell-bent on being the “bad takes forever” guy in the Mac thread now, huh

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

you’re just hell-bent on being the “bad takes forever” guy in the Mac thread now, huh

Apple jacking up prices on “pro” products is suddenly a bad take? What rock have you been living under?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So are there options for large retina displays other than the Apple 5k and 6k monitors?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

So are there options for large retina displays other than the Apple 5k and 6k monitors?

I have two DELL 4K monitors

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

4K is retinal enough

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

akadajet posted:

Apple jacking up prices on “pro” products is suddenly a bad take? What rock have you been living under?

Apple lowered the price on the Mac Mini and kept prices the same on the rest of the Apple Silicon laptops. Mini LED could justify a small price bump but I don’t think we’re gonna see a $300 jump like you expect.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

akadajet posted:

you mean like when they dropped the prices by several hundred dollars on the retina MacBook Pros between 2012 and 2013?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

Dell desktops/laptops appropriately get poo poo on, but I really like their monitors.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I think the MBP notch is real. Weren't there some resolution leaks that indicated a 16:10 display with an extra 74 pixels on top? Perfect for hiding a notch in the top of a Mini LED display.

I'd use it more than the touchbar probably!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

16x10 plus dedicated extra pixels for a notch and taskbar would own

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I don’t know much about mini led, but if it has no backlight leakage that could be cool

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

akadajet posted:

I don’t know much about mini led, but if it has no backlight leakage that could be cool

it should have little to none but it’ll probably have a little noticeable haloing around white letters etc in a black background

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

mediaphage posted:

this is a dumb bit

Apple already sells LG monitors that use the same panel as the iMac. An Apple version would presumably be functionally identical, give or take some milled aluminum.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

The dell 8k is 4 years old, but it's a joke.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Baronash posted:

Apple already sells LG monitors that use the same panel as the iMac. An Apple version would presumably be functionally identical, give or take some milled aluminum.

nah

anyway the rumours i found from a few months ago claim that apple is testing panels that include an a series chip of some flavour for some reason

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Perplx posted:

The dell 8k is 4 years old, but it's a joke.

Can you elaborate? I'm probably not going to get one, but I am curious.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

doingitwrong posted:

Mac OS’ defining UI feature is a menu bar that runs across the top of the screen with no serious constraints about how many menus or mini icons that can go up there. There is no way they are dropping a notch into the middle of that.

Nah, I can see it. They simply mandate all application menus are to the left of the notch and all menu bar icons are to the right.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Can you elaborate? I'm probably not going to get one, but I am curious.

It’s a joke just because of the impractical price and needing 2 cables to run it. It looks amazing though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Spime Wrangler posted:

16x10 plus dedicated extra pixels for a notch and taskbar would own

Yes and I could actually see Apple using it as a marketing point..

"We took away the screen real estate you had with the Touch Bar and gave it back to you in the new resolution display!"

Not that you could ever use the Touch Bar other than to display static icons but I bet someone out there has hacked up something like a 2D version of Space Invaders or Call of Duty for it..

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

akadajet posted:

JFC stop telling other people how to spend their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
A major purpose of this thread is for posters to provide product recommendations. So it is very normal thing in this thread to tell other people how to spend their money.