Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's a Huntsman, they are perfectly fiiiine and even friendly.

That may be but, (SPOILERED for huge spider on hand image)

Seeing that running across the inside of my windshield would still freak me the gently caress out, and I like spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I get that that "stakes" get higher and higher with all the stupid poo poo that gets added to cars, but this is the same thing I've heard for 30 years now about technology X that'll be so unreliable and dangerous and expensive that no one will buy a used car with it. First, it was fuel injection, then it was ABS, then it was ESP, etc etc. And people still keep buying.

It's like you don't even understand what a phobia is. I don't want a spider to be friendly. I want it very far away from me, and if not, then on fire and dead.

Lol I've literally never heard any of that and I've been working on cars since the 80's. EFI was a highly welcome addition because everyone was tired of loving with carburetors, I don't remember one person ever complaining about it, we all loved it. Especially in the north, because the car Just loving Started during the winter and it was amazing to most people.

Those cars didn't completely shut down when there was an issue. It's got nothing to do with phobia, if enough cars start doing poo poo like that and it gets around social media like that last post people will just stop buying BMWs and go to cars that aren't having any software problems instead, that's how the market works.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's like you don't even understand what a phobia is. I don't want a spider to be friendly. I want it very far away from me, and if not, then on fire and dead.

this is how i generally feel about republicans

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Humphreys posted:

The comments...LOL

C8 had a "nice" update a couple months ago. During the update if something wouldn't go right, it would keep the Onstar system totally live or full powered mode or whatever. So you get in the car the next day and are greeted by a dead battery.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Guy is just a really big fan of Independence Day.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

metaxus posted:

Guy is just a really big fan of Independence Day.

Maybe he'll have the same fate

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Colostomy Bag posted:

C8 had a "nice" update a couple months ago. During the update if something wouldn't go right, it would keep the Onstar system totally live or full powered mode or whatever. So you get in the car the next day and are greeted by a dead battery.

Oof. Did they ever make the OnStar backup battery rechargeable, or is it still a one use deal?

Not well known, but the OnStar module has a battery in it - it's meant to keep the OnStar system powered if the car's electrical system is wiped out in a wreck. It used to be a one shot deal - and older ones could be wiped out by just disconnecting the car's battery with the keys in the run position. I wonder if it would have tried to switch to the backup battery once the car battery got too low?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm just thinking of you ranting about spiders like De Niro, as Al Capone, did in The Untouchables after Eliot Ness stopped his shipment of booze from Canada:

quote:

I want you to get this gently caress where he breathes! I want you to find this nancy-boy Huntsman spider, I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burned to the ground! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna piss on his ashes!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I get that that "stakes" get higher and higher with all the stupid poo poo that gets added to cars, but this is the same thing I've heard for 30 years now about technology X that'll be so unreliable and dangerous and expensive that no one will buy a used car with it. First, it was fuel injection, then it was ABS, then it was ESP, etc etc. And people still keep buying.

With the news of thousands of chip-less F-150s sitting in parking lots around Detroit, the boomers on car forums are seriously calling their dealers to see if they can get one without the chips because “my old truck didn’t need fancy computers” and “it will be more reliable without the chips”. They just don’t understand that everything in modern cars is run by computers and that these trucks wont run at all without them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Zero One posted:

With the news of thousands of chip-less F-150s sitting in parking lots around Detroit, the boomers on car forums are seriously calling their dealers to see if they can get one without the chips because “my old truck didn’t need fancy computers” and “it will be more reliable without the chips”. They just don’t understand that everything in modern cars is run by computers and that these trucks wont run at all without them.

:discourse:

I bet they don’t want their old truck now they are used to modern comforts rather that utilitarian truck designed for work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zero One posted:

get them to sign a waiver saying yes, they really really do want the truck with no CHIPS in it and they are fully aware of what they're getting, then dump it on their lawn with a crane.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Zero One posted:

Just put a carb on them and they will work fine!

idiots

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just put a carb on them and they will work fine!

idiots

mechanical fuel injection, baby

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I don't know where you're hearing any of that, but the biggest difference now is that these aren't like those were: embedded systems, often with software burnt to an EPROM. Surely you understand that OTA updates and manufacturers that can remotely do poo poo to your car, along with the increasing amount of "car features as a service/unlockable DLC" is vastly different from anything else in automotive tech history.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Cars peaked 15 years ago

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

I don't know where you're hearing any of that, but the biggest difference now is that these aren't like those were: embedded systems, often with software burnt to an EPROM. Surely you understand that OTA updates and manufacturers that can remotely do poo poo to your car, along with the increasing amount of "car features as a service/unlockable DLC" is vastly different from anything else in automotive tech history.

Yes, I understand that. And I agree that it is a garbage direction. I just think Applebees is vastly overestimating how informed people are when it comes to car buying when he's saying "if enough cars start doing poo poo like that and it gets around social media like that last post people will just stop buying BMWs and go to cars that aren't having any software problems instead, that's how the market works". My prediction was that people will keep buying the garbage, the invisible hand is very very stupid.

Lol I've literally never heard any of that and I've been working on cars since the 80's. EFI was a highly welcome addition because everyone was tired of loving with carburetors, I don't remember one person ever complaining about it, we all loved it. Especially in the north, because the car Just loving Started during the winter and it was amazing to most people.

Those cars didn't completely shut down when there was an issue. It's got nothing to do with phobia, if enough cars start doing poo poo like that and it gets around social media like that last post people will just stop buying BMWs and go to cars that aren't having any software problems instead, that's how the market works.

Please at least read my post through, the phobia comment was about spiders, that was briefly mentioned on the previous page.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

I'm not even a computer toucher like a lot of the guys in here, but I've experienced enough computer issues like the BSOD to realize that having badly engineered software controlling every aspect of a car, then receiving just as bad or worse engineered updates OTA every three months is probably going to giant pain in the dick.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

My prediction was that people will keep buying the garbage, the invisible hand is very very stupid.

Fair enough, but I disagree. Even the stupid people are attached to their social media accounts, if there are enough issues and it gets around they will just avoid the cars with software issues all together.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 4, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

More content you say?

So a guy takes his C8 in to be serviced....

https://vimeo.com/582625998

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Motronic posted:

Never mind that, at least with Windows, you have some *control* over when the updates are applied (it used to be more control, to the point where you could literally turn them off, but Windows 10 makes that very difficult, if not impossible...)
Frankly, it makes me want to find the cell radio on the car and disconnect it, to be reconnected at a time of my choosing, when updates have been vetted and proved working for at least a few weeks. I don't apply updates to my computer day-of, I definitely don't want that on the device I require to get to work on a (semi) daily basis. Not a fan.

More content you say?

*Someone* forgot that the C8 has a track recorder...
Also, dang that thing just scoots without drama, doesn't it?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

More content you say?

How do we not know the owner asked to check out the funny wheel bearing noise at 148mph???????

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Terrible car poo poo is the City of Austin using the cheapest possible option of road repair/maintenance: chip seal.

Literally every time I have taken my car out of the neighborhood I will get a pebble stuck in the brake rotor-- likely between the rotor and the dust shield. I sure do love the sound of metal and stone squealing at 60 mph once I get on the freeway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

i own every Bionicle posted:

Cars peaked 15 years ago

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Zero One posted:

Boomers are old enough that "old truck" means something that had EFI and it's possible the younger boomers have never actually driven a car without a computer at all.

i own every Bionicle posted:

Cars peaked 15 years ago

Unironically agreeing for ICE, EV's on the other hand..... that's a different story esp given they gently caress off poo poo like CVT's

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 5, 2021

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

dissss posted:

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

You laugh but this car continues to be the most reliable and useful one I’ve ever owned

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There's not doubt we hit a peak in reliability back in that time. Then a lot of stupid/breakable/easily outdated "courtesy features" started getting added like nav systems that immediately go out of date and cost $300+ to update when you could buy a loving TomTom back in those days for $80 that was better in every way.

This is right around the time people started buying new cars because they wanted the "new tech" rather than the previous discussion that was more like "replacing the radio for something that has an aux in/bluetooth".

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 5, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Boomers are old enough that "old truck" means something that had EFI and it's possible the younger boomers have never actually driven a car without a computer at all.
I’m not sure if this is a by-country thing or something, but the youngest boomer would have hit driving age in 1980, and old boomers would have been 16 in 1962.

In short, :what:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

Terrible car poo poo is the City of Austin using the cheapest possible option of road repair/maintenance: chip seal.

Literally every time I have taken my car out of the neighborhood I will get a pebble stuck in the brake rotor-- likely between the rotor and the dust shield. I sure do love the sound of metal and stone squealing at 60 mph once I get on the freeway.
So you're saying they need to raise taxes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

There's not doubt we hit a peak in reliability back in that time. Then a lot of stupid/breakable/easily outdated "courtesy features" started getting added like nav systems that immediately go out of date and cost $300+ to update when you could buy a loving TomTom back in those days for $80 that was better in every way.

I recently needed GPS for a few road trips and was going to just get the OEM unit that plugs into my OEM head unit, but that was gonna cost me at least $300, and then updates that are only available through the dealer are 600 loving dollars so I said gently caress that and looked into aftermarket head units. But I like the stock Pioneer made head unit I already have, it just doesn't have GPS, and I was looking at spending at least 400 on a decent aftermarket head unit.

Then I started looking around at stand alone GPS units, and found someone on CL selling a brand new, still sealed Garmin Nuvi. With a free update included. For 20 bucks :v:

Yeah it's not integrated but who loving cares, I'll only have it in the car when I need it for road trips and it works like a charm.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I recently needed GPS for a few road trips and was going to just get the OEM unit that plugs into my OEM head unit, but that was gonna cost me at least $300, and then updates that are only available through the dealer are 600 loving dollars so I said gently caress that and looked into aftermarket head units. But I like the stock Pioneer made head unit I already have, it just doesn't have GPS, and I was looking at spending at least 400 on a decent aftermarket head unit.

Then I started looking around at stand alone GPS units, and found someone on CL selling a brand new, still sealed Garmin Nuvi. With a free update included. For 20 bucks :v:

Yeah it's not integrated but who loving cares, I'll only have it in the car when I need it for road trips and it works like a charm.

Do you not own a cell phone?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah but it's a tiny old iPhone SE and I wanted something with a decent sized screen that I could see clearly because I'm old and my eyesight sucks.

[e] It actually worked out perfect because my xB has the instrument cluster in the center, so I was able to mount the Garmin right on the shelf above my steering wheel in my line of sight.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 5, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Krakkles posted:

I’m not sure if this is a by-country thing or something, but the youngest boomer would have hit driving age in 1980, and old boomers would have been 16 in 1962.

In short, :what:

Yes, actually. EFI started to swing into even US cars in 1975. It is *entirely* possible young boomers have never driven carby cars and even more likely if they drove anything from Europe or Japan. And even in USA, trucks were getting EFI by the mid-late 80's and had electronic modules

Those late 80's / early 90's trucks had electronic systems of some description and *those* are the "old trucks" of today. The last free of any kind of ECU control car I have driven came from 1981 (Oh jfc my RX-7 is 40 years old?!?!).

You can only guarentte older boomers had cars without any ECU's and I *know* at the time they hated carbys with a passion and welcomed cars that started reliably.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Chris Knight posted:

So you're saying they need to raise taxes.

Lol, I'm fine paying taxes if it does things like improve schools, roads, etc. In this case I would much rather having durabe, smooth paved roads that last decades(?) Than this garbage that gets repaved every 5 years.

Unfortunately, I live in Texas where our school district has one of the largest percentage of impoverished students in the state, but because of our high property values and poo poo legislature, we lose over half of the taxes collected by the school district to fund other rural school districts-- which is nearly bankrupting AOSD. Of course, taxes collected by the school district and taxes collected by the city fund different things, but I think something like 70%+ of the taxes I pay go to AISD vs the city.

The dumbass boomers around me who simultaneously whine about random things hurting property values but don't understand that they then have to pay (tax rate)*(property value) always give me a chuckle though. In the current real estate market, as long as Tesla, Apple, Samsung, AMD, etc are all here nothing really lowers values.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Those late 80's / early 90's trucks had electronic systems of some description and *those* are the "old trucks" of today. The last free of any kind of ECU control car I have driven came from 1981 (Oh jfc my RX-7 is 40 years old?!?!).

There is a carbureted USDM 1986 Toyota in my garage and I am a millennial. I have not seen it run and have no intention of trying with the carburetor.

I personally know boomers who still believe carburetors are better and brag that they warned their family members about buying early EFI vehicles and getting really smug when they talk about having to rescue those folks when their EFI crapped out.

Early EFI is way better in every way than smog carburetors but there is some logic in a ‘clean’ carb vs, say, an early Jetronic system.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Advent Horizon posted:

they talk about having to rescue those folks when their EFI crapped out.

I don't believe this has ever happened.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Anybody know what this is? Tail lights scream 90s Buick but the everything else definitely does not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bad.

It is bad.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes, actually. EFI started to swing into even US cars in 1975. It is *entirely* possible young boomers have never driven carby cars and even more likely if they drove anything from Europe or Japan. And even in USA, trucks were getting EFI by the mid-late 80's and had electronic modules

You can only guarentte older boomers had cars without any ECU's and I *know* at the time they hated carbys with a passion and welcomed cars that started reliably.
So … EFI was starting to be available 13 years after old boomers started to drive, and ECU-less cars were definitely available until a year after young boomers did. I don’t think that’s making the point you think it is.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Computers in cars isnt the problem, it's computers in cars that ship with buggy code that requires updates is the problem.

Cars should ship as a complete product with electronics that work just as well on day 1,000 as they will on day 0, and vice-versa. There is absolutely no justification I can imagine, aside from cosmic radiation bit-flipping some code, that a manufacturer should be sending software updates. (Tuners, home tinkerers, maintenance, upgrades, different story.)

"This OTA update makes your car safer/more efficient/more fun/more capable" Well poo poo, I paid good money for this car, why didn't you just get it right in the first place?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Handen posted:

Anybody know what this is? Tail lights scream 90s Buick but the everything else definitely does not.

I have no idea but at least I just learned after googling a bit that Opel was sold as Buick in the US until 2019...never knew that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Handen posted:

It seems like it's trying to be a Chrysler Atlantic concept knock off but I can't identify the donor car for what I assume is a weird kit.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 5, 2021