Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

CJacobs posted:

Kenshi is a cool game with a lot of neat and very open-ended ideas, but there really should have been some kind of ramp up in forces or encounters once you create your first outpost. I've barely constructed walls and a gate and I'm still just one guy and it's day 10 on this save file, why are you sending groups of seriously fifteen bandits on the same day I built the outpost? Even if I had a full 5-man squad this would be far too many given that they are at least moderately skilled and my attack/defense stats are still single-digits.

edit: And every resource I've looked at says that the Toughness stat (general intrinsic defense) is trained by getting the crap kicked out of you and/or getting in fights and winning, but every fight I've gotten in the enemy doesn't stop until I enter the Dying state. Whatever's supposed to be happening to make them go away, it is not. They just hang out till I get back up and hit me again, which kills you if you're in the Dying state already.

Seriously what is up with this. Why are 15 starving crazed bandits even hanging out together

Yeah, I've run into the same thing. I've tried getting into Kenshi a few times, and I'd always bounce off when trying to start an outpost. I actually started up again recently and decided to see how far I'd get *without* an outpost, instead buying a building in an existing city and making money to just buy the crafting mats I'd normally mine/farm in an outpost, and it's much less frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rule number 1 of Kenshi: Running is always a valid strategy
Rule number 2 of Kenshi: Running is ALWAYS a valid strategy

Rule 3 is get a buddy to pick people up and run to the nearest safe zone

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
This is absolutely not any particular game's fault but right now I'm annoyed because I started playing Ghost Recon: Wildlands again with a buddy but I'm also playing Watchdogs: Legion, and while those games are very similar superficially (you run, you sneak, you shoot, you drive...), the controls are super different (different buttons to punch, crouch, run, etc.) and it trips me up every time I go from one to the other.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Persona 4 Golden's hosed up camera controls are forcing me to get used to inverted horizontal which is an objectively incorrect way to control a camera. Even worse, now that I've picked up Yakuza Like a Dragon, another 3rd person game, NEITHER camera control option feels right.

I guess this is more of a first world video game problem.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

CordlessPen posted:

This is absolutely not any particular game's fault but right now I'm annoyed because I started playing Ghost Recon: Wildlands again with a buddy but I'm also playing Watchdogs: Legion, and while those games are very similar superficially (you run, you sneak, you shoot, you drive...), the controls are super different (different buttons to punch, crouch, run, etc.) and it trips me up every time I go from one to the other.

Ubi having different control schemes for Watch Dogs, Ghost Recon, and Assassin's Creed is like absolutely the result of an internal meeting where the topic was like "how do we convince people these three games aren't the same game"

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
Warhammer 40k gladius is real bad. It's one of those civilization-lite games but they forgot to make AI players be hostile to each other so it's not a 4 player deathmatch, it's a 3v1 with random monsters on the match stepping in to help the 3.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Persona 4 Golden's hosed up camera controls are forcing me to get used to inverted horizontal which is an objectively incorrect way to control a camera. Even worse, now that I've picked up Yakuza Like a Dragon, another 3rd person game, NEITHER camera control option feels right.

I guess this is more of a first world video game problem.

I thought you could change the camera? I could be misremembering though I haven't played p4g since I bought a vita for it

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Spelunky 2:

Van Horing says "He's been waiting a long time to slay this fiend"everytime before he shoots Vlad for you. He couldn't have been waiting longer than 3 minutes, because then the Ghost would have come.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Spelunky 2:

Van Horing says "He's been waiting a long time to slay this fiend"everytime before he shoots Vlad for you. He couldn't have been waiting longer than 3 minutes, because then the Ghost would have come.

the ghost is afraid of him because the ghost is a fiend too

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mmj posted:

Warhammer 40k gladius is real bad. It's one of those civilization-lite games but they forgot to make AI players be hostile to each other so it's not a 4 player deathmatch, it's a 3v1 with random monsters on the match stepping in to help the 3.

It sucks because it feels like it could be loving awesome if it wasn’t for the AI, too.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It sucks because it feels like it could be loving awesome if it wasn’t for the AI, too.

Yeah, worst part is I spent too much time trying to force some fun out of it so steam won't let me return it. Bought it on a 66% off sale and still wasn't worth it

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

mmj posted:

Yeah, worst part is I spent too much time trying to force some fun out of it so steam won't let me return it. Bought it on a 66% off sale and still wasn't worth it

I've been looking at the for awhile, but never pulled the trigger because of reviews like that. Most 40k games are 1/3 or 1/2 assed, since DoW2 and Space Marine, most aren't worth playing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How is it 2020 and companies still don't just let you get on a pre-order list for a new console after launch? Is there any reason not to just keep taking orders and put me on a waiting list?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Len posted:

How is it 2020 and companies still don't just let you get on a pre-order list for a new console after launch? Is there any reason not to just keep taking orders and put me on a waiting list?

From the standpoint of a retailer, why would they take an order when they know they can sell out within five minutes of restocking? They just want to move product as fast as possible and having to call you to tell you your console is in slows that down. It's poo poo but from their point of view they don't care who actually buys it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Len posted:

The waiting list would be tens of thousands of people long, you'd never get your console.

edit: The real thing to be annoyed about is that there's nothing to prevent piece of poo poo scalper lowlifes from buying like 20 of them just to flip them and driving up artificial scarcity.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Nov 14, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fil5000 posted:

From the standpoint of a retailer, why would they take an order when they know they can sell out within five minutes of restocking? They just want to move product as fast as possible and having to call you to tell you your console is in slows that down. It's poo poo but from their point of view they don't care who actually buys it.

"Here best buy let me give you $500 for this ps5 now and you just mail it to me when it's ready"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Len posted:

"Here best buy let me give you $500 for this ps5 now and you just mail it to me when it's ready"

Bingo bingo, 33 months later Len gets his PS5.

Why can't it be that easy?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

PLaying Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, starting on Hard because apparently the game get piss easy, and the first boss is, in all seriousness, the worst loving boss I have ever seen.

It's some weird tentacle mermaid thing on the side of a boat. Most of the time its off on one side of the screen, and will shoot bursts of projectiles that move in really unclear curves and regularly go off the top of the screen so you cant follow where they're going. But it also has waving purple tentacles in the background of the stage that will come forward and swipe at you. But most of the time the tentacles are just wiggling in the background, so you can't track em easily, and its really unclear at what point they're actually capable of hitting you, because depth perception barely exists.

The main boss will also move juuuust far enough away from the end of the ship that you cant reach with your weapons, and will wave its arms between you and the camera, so you cant see if you can reach it anyway. And it damages you if you just touch it, so i keep headbutting it in the tit and getting hit.

It also summons little jumping jellyfish men, which are fine to deal with. Except one of the bosses attacks is to sweep a watery laser across the screen, and the only way to avoid it is to position yourself so that one of the jumping jellyfish men blocks the laser. Except they're jumping around and trying to attack you, and will send their own projectiles bouncing around, so its impossible to actually line the bastards up.

There's no real dodge in this game. You press the left trigger and your character backsteps. But you can't control the direction. So after years of games training you to press dodge+direction what you actually need to do is release the thumbstick completely. Otherwise you'll turn around and dodge into the enemy, which has been about half my deaths so far. Your character moves like a tank, enemies are floaty and chaotic and like the boss, damage you if you walk into them.

I know we rag on games for ripping off Dark Souls, but after playing metroidvania's with bonfire-style checkpoints (Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge) i'm convinced they're far better than traditional checkpoints. Because already, in the first level, I find something cool, die before i get to the checkpoint, and have to go through the tedious task of walking back to where I know a cool item is. Or sometimes I'll get a random pick up and lose it forever.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Len posted:

But they can sell it without having to take your details, store them and look them up. It's a trivial amount of time I grant you, but if they don't have to do it why would they? Literally their only interest is in selling stuff with as little effort as they can manage. It's poo poo from a consumer perspective but when has that ever stopped a business?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RareAcumen posted:

Bingo bingo, 33 months later Len gets his PS5.

Why can't it be that easy?

It's a better solution than first come first serve to bird bot. All online sales go in the queue

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

How is it 2020 and anyone is still buying a console at launch? "I absolutely have to pay the highest price this console will ever be so I can immediately enjoy the four poo poo launch games."

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

PLaying Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, starting on Hard because apparently the game get piss easy, and the first boss is, in all seriousness, the worst loving boss I have ever seen.

It's some weird tentacle mermaid thing on the side of a boat. Most of the time its off on one side of the screen, and will shoot bursts of projectiles that move in really unclear curves and regularly go off the top of the screen so you cant follow where they're going. But it also has waving purple tentacles in the background of the stage that will come forward and swipe at you. But most of the time the tentacles are just wiggling in the background, so you can't track em easily, and its really unclear at what point they're actually capable of hitting you, because depth perception barely exists.

The main boss will also move juuuust far enough away from the end of the ship that you cant reach with your weapons, and will wave its arms between you and the camera, so you cant see if you can reach it anyway. And it damages you if you just touch it, so i keep headbutting it in the tit and getting hit.

It also summons little jumping jellyfish men, which are fine to deal with. Except one of the bosses attacks is to sweep a watery laser across the screen, and the only way to avoid it is to position yourself so that one of the jumping jellyfish men blocks the laser. Except they're jumping around and trying to attack you, and will send their own projectiles bouncing around, so its impossible to actually line the bastards up.

There's no real dodge in this game. You press the left trigger and your character backsteps. But you can't control the direction. So after years of games training you to press dodge+direction what you actually need to do is release the thumbstick completely. Otherwise you'll turn around and dodge into the enemy, which has been about half my deaths so far. Your character moves like a tank, enemies are floaty and chaotic and like the boss, damage you if you walk into them.

I know we rag on games for ripping off Dark Souls, but after playing metroidvania's with bonfire-style checkpoints (Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge) i'm convinced they're far better than traditional checkpoints. Because already, in the first level, I find something cool, die before i get to the checkpoint, and have to go through the tedious task of walking back to where I know a cool item is. Or sometimes I'll get a random pick up and lose it forever.

You are supposed to hit the jelly guys with a weak weapon so they will stay still just enough for the laser to hit them.

Just letting you know.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sunswipe posted:

How is it 2020 and anyone is still buying a console at launch? "I absolutely have to pay the highest price this console will ever be so I can immediately enjoy the four poo poo launch games."

I have almost two weeks off work coming up and want to play demon's souls like it's Christmas break 09 again. I'm doing the responsible thing and getting tires on my car instead

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is dragging down Vigil: the Longest Night for me. It's an otherwise really good metroidvania with a Dark Souls like aesthetic, but dying means reloading from the last save with no way of getting back resources or saving what items you have collected between the last save and death, so you need to go back and repeat the same path and get it right this time. Save points are also spaced out as wide as they are in a souls like, so that can mean 5-10 minutes of repeated content, which, in a decently fast paced metroidvania, can feel like an eternity.

Having a checkpoint system at the starting the fairly large rooms to make the repeating less tedious or a bloodstain to collect to give some motivation to keep going would fix this. As it is, dying saps my motivation to keep playing, so once I die, I start playing or doing something else.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sunswipe posted:

While I agree that buying a games console at launch should probably require some deep introspection about what constitutes responsible spending, I think anyone willing to buy it day one probably is also interested in the games that launched with it.

edit: Also, you don't have to wait for a discount on everything you buy. To some people it's worth paying slightly more money to get a head start on the enjoyment of their hobby. There's no real reason to be overly frugal if you have the money and it's burning a hole in your pocket because then it's at the cost of your happiness instead. I bought a PS4 specifically to play Bloodborne several years after launch and it was still only $50 cheaper than the price when the console released, but I was fine with paying that price to not get a janky used one and because I got hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of just that one game. Now I have like... 10 games for it, and it was still an extremely worthwhile purchase in my eyes.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Nov 14, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My PS4 was on the way out and replacing it would've been a good chunk of the PS5 cost that I'd eventually pay anyway, it was just reasonable timing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Strom Cuzewon posted:

PLaying Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, starting on Hard because apparently the game get piss easy
You're playing a game blind on Hard and complain that it's kicking your rear end?!

Bloodstained is pretty easy especially towards the end, but it does have difficulty spikes throughout and I'm quite happy that I played it on Normal first, because now I know all the boss moves and where to get the best "souls" and so on. I played a whole lot of Metroidvanias and it was about equally difficult as, say, Dawn of Sorrow or Portrait of Ruin (Order of Ecclesia is harder for me, if you care).

I also recently played Timespinner and that was really loving easy, more and more as it went on, then I started a Hard playthrough and you suddenly die in two hits. There's no middle ground. If you had gone the same route there, hoo boy.

As for the PS5 thing, I'm gonna get one pretty soon because there's a bunch of PS4 games I haven't played yet, and might as well on higher specs, with less load times and less fan noise. I'm gonna sell the PS4 and just straight upgrade. The exclusives are of course great too - I want DeS, I want HZD2 once it's finished, and Ratchet & Clank - so sure, why not now. I might wait for Christmas to see if they offer bundles.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Did Doom 2016 have DLC I didn't play? Doom Eternal seems to pickup well after that game

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Len posted:

Did Doom 2016 have DLC I didn't play? Doom Eternal seems to pickup well after that game

Also why do I only get 16 shells?

Don't THINK there's anything that fills in the gap story wise other than what you learn during Eternal.

Also - so you swap weapons more often and chainsaw trash mobs more often.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

I have almost two weeks off work coming up and want to play demon's souls like it's Christmas break 09 again. I'm doing the responsible thing and getting tires on my car instead

I just looked up when the PC release date is and apparently it was a miscommunication that the game was coming to PC. Not surprising since I think the game is owned by Sony, but heartbreaking. Don't want it enough to shell out for a PS5 though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Doom 2016’s DLC was entirely multiplayer stuff. I think it is free for everyone these days, not that you’ll really care about it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

I just looked up when the PC release date is and apparently it was a miscommunication that the game was coming to PC. Not surprising since I think the game is owned by Sony, but heartbreaking. Don't want it enough to shell out for a PS5 though.

Just buy a dirt cheap ps3 and play it there. Everything I read said it's the same game but prettier

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

You're playing a game blind on Hard and complain that it's kicking your rear end?!

Specifically, that its kicking my rear end in bullshit awful frustrating ways.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

Just buy a dirt cheap ps3 and play it there. Everything I read said it's the same game but prettier

The whole issue is that I don't want to hook up another console just to play one game. I might even have my ps3 and demon's souls kicking around somewhere, but meh. Really the problem is that they initially said it was going to be on PC so I started looking forward to playing it there.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Nov 14, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

The whole issue is that I don't want to hook up another console just to play one game. I might even have my ps3 and demon's souls kicking around somewhere, but meh. Really the problem is that they initially said it was going to be on PC so I started looking forward to playing it there.

I never heard it as anything but a ps5 exclusive are you sure you didn't just get hopeful like that guy in the switch thread who was convinced p4g was dropping on switch?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I think in one of the early promo trailers for the remaster they accidentally listed PC as one of the platforms it would be on, which created a lot of confusion.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Len posted:

You can't. Demon's Souls' PS3 online servers were shut down a few years ago so messages, phantoms, co-op, PVP, global world tendency, the Old Monk boss fight, the leaderboards and several other smaller online elements are totally inaccessible.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Nov 14, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CJacobs posted:

You can't. Demon's Souls' PS3 online servers were shut down a few years ago so messages, phantoms, co-op, PVP, global world tendency, the Old Monk boss fight, the leaderboards and several other smaller online elements are totally inaccessible.

1) the game still runs
2) the fandom revived it and there's still an online community

https://www.thearchstones.com/

Len has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Nov 14, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Len posted:

1) the game still runs
2) the fandom revived it and there's still an online community

https://www.thearchstones.com/

It's silly to pretend this is a comparable experience to playing the game when it was new or supported by the developers or during its heyday, was my point.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Nov 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CJacobs posted:

It's silly to pretend this is a comparable experience to playing the game when it was new or in its heyday.

It's silly to pretend the game isn't playable just because the official online is down