Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

OhDearGodNo posted:

This is the only good/fun thing about 7th Ed orks.

Goblin Fanatics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

aleksendr posted:

We are not "Sticking up" for him. We are debating the fact that "Lol Ben's fat as gently caress, Sandi a Bitch" is not a worthy of contribution to the thread and is bordering on creepy behavior.

The only person I see saying "Sandi" and "Bitch" in the same sentence is you.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

aleksendr posted:

Yes, they publicly announced the removal of the "Retaliator commercial" stretch goal, but since it was not from the holy mouth of Chris Himself, its not supposed to be "true" information. Private servers have also been pushed back "well after the game is live" (Lando words) so interpret this as you want.

Trimming this poo poo down is a great thing.

I will lol if things like the Orion or Reclaimer become big, 1-man ships that right-click on things and auto-collect resources.

I'll take that over not having the game, but holy poo poo will people rage.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Trimming this poo poo down is a great thing.

I will lol if things like the Orion or Reclaimer become big, 1-man ships that right-click on things and auto-collect resources.

I'll take that over not having the game, but holy poo poo will people rage.

But will they rage at CIG or the evil Derek Smart and his goonies. Or maybe it's Beer's fault for forcing CIG to spend a billion resources on CS.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There are a lot of creepy posts about ben and Sandi and I think that is probably not good

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

Im 600 posts behind so maybe somone already spotted this gem of fun in the Pee Tee Uuuuu

Lol at the brony who judges people by their avatar

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

aleksendr posted:

We are not "Sticking up" for him. We are debating the fact that "Lol Ben's fat as gently caress, Sandi a Bitch" is not a worthy of contribution to the thread and is bordering on creepy behavior.

The guy need help, if only he want to be able to play the game after its released (2020, after an engine rewrite) instead of dying from health problems while its still in dev.

I would not fat shame Ben, his contribution to the toxicity of the community is enough reason to hate on him if one must. But in the same vein, Sandi being a self-centered bitch is also harming the community and the game at large, thus I feel is a valid focus of attention, rather than comparing her to Skeletor or whatever. Sandi and Ben both have toxic effects stemming from their personalities and their actions - I think focus on those actions is important.

Ben is the slightly more sympathetic of the two; his tragic life circumstances have led him to a very dark place. Without knowing Sandi's life history, it's difficult to tell if she's beyond redemption at this point, but Ben can still walk away and piece his life back together. I doubt he'll see the light on his own - maybe he needs a forcible intervention and some cult deprogramming. Someone get a van out there and label it "RETALIATOR" on the side and put some fins on it or something, and when he checks it out, lock him inside with a copy of Wing Commander III to keep him busy and drive him to some nice beach somewhere with some trained psychiatrists. Actually not WC3, that wouldn't help. See, this is why it can't be me.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Eonwe posted:

There are a lot of creepy posts about ben and Sandi and I think that is probably not good

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

:worship: lowtax, the king of shitposting.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

This is what happens when Derek Smart keeps not posting his new blog and Lowtax doesn't force his daughter to play Star Citizen.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Holy loving hell, these people are so dumb you could probably convince them that oxygen is bad for them and they should stop breathing.

Actually...

Hey, did you hear? Oxygen is really bad for you, and you should stop breathing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LachlanJ posted:

Getting back to the discussion of spaceship aesthetics, I think what bothers me about SC's designs is not so much the disparity between them, but the lack of any in-universe rules governing their appearance. To use Star Trek as an example, while Federation and Klingon starships are instantly recognisable as being distinct from one another, the rules of the universe mean there are common design elements between the two. The engines are the big blue rails mounted away from the ship, and the nature of 25th century combat means the weapons are all recessed. There's also the fact that, until Deep Space Nine, the ships all had to exist as physical models. Designers had to work within the budgetary and practical limitations imposed upon them.

CR's games have no deep thought put into the practicalities of how their ships get from A to B. There are no rules about how propulsion works, what scientific breakthroughs brought them into an age of relatively easy and accessible interstellar travel. Weapons protrude from the hull or are mounted in turrets, even when such design choices make absolutely no sense. Their incorporation in the PU shows that "make it so it will work" wasn't an instruction SC's artists heard nearly often enough, if at all.

You can accept a bit of artistic licence and suspend disbelief when something just needs to look cool and distinctive. But when absolutely everything has to look boss, when that's the only design rule artists have been given to work with, what you end up with is a mess. SC's ships don't even look like they serve the same purpose or follow the same physical laws, let alone belong in the same universe as each other.

poo poo, maybe that's the whole point? Maybe this is like Light by M John Harrison, where absolutely any set of halfway-grounded scientific theories eventually gets you to the stars.

It's not just aesthetic. The functionality itself is slapdash and inconsistent due to CIG not having established design rules. That's why only the Cutlass has (unlabeled) buttons you push to enter, but every other ship has a mysterious patch you must approach to click. It's also why the latest revision of the Constellation has access panels everywhere for various ship functions but the early ships have nothing, why the Cutlass was released before the flight system could handle it, why newer ships have a bunch of smaller shields while older ships have one larger one, and a myriad of other stupid issues that stem from CIG trying to get the cart to move before the horse is even born. You can see it most readily on the design presentations on the Genesis Starliner and Caterpillar (gently caress if I'm going to find which ATV those were from); the artist is basically making poo poo up as he goes along. The problem is that while it's fine to conceptualize a farm, or a drop pod, or a news van, it's not okay to loving sell poo poo based on that concept until you're 100% sure it's going to be there.

Instead of laughing about the Cutlass and those pissy owners who bitch about not getting what they want, backers should consider the real and serious possibility that their ship will receive the same treatment. CIG has done nothing to suggest they can deliver on anything even remotely close to what's been promised and yet anyone who brings it up gets yelled at or banned. So gently caress it, let them get screwed.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

A bit old but…

aleksendr posted:

True, but it was using a polygonal engine, allowing for faster moving shapes but not textures and even then nearly half your screen is a near-static cockpit. X-wing Star Destroyers (the original 1993 version, not the 1994 CD rom version) where just big grey pyramids, while Privater stations and ships where fully textured.

X-wing is a much better game but the point is that Wing Commander : Privater cramped cockpits visuals where more due to hardware limitations (and it was probably using a poorly optimized engine, how history repeats) than lack of artistic vision.

Yes, the Privateer solution was once again a case of doing it right, badly. Remember how Chris almost got Origin into a very sticky legal mess by claiming that he had reverse-engineered Lucasarts flightsim engine (specifically the one used in Battlehawks and Their Finest Hour)? That was a pretty good engine with good visibility for 1989.

As luck would have it, he hadn't actually done that, but rather had worked together with John Miles (of Ultima, and later Crysis fame (dun, dun, dunnn)) to create an engine that did the same thing. Had they stolen the engine, it might very well have been able to show a bit more, but they didn't.

The polygonal X-Wing came out of Lucasart's engine experimentation 3–4 years after the WWII series; Privateer came out of Origin's experiments, three years after WC1. In terms of engine progression, remember that the same period saw us go from Keen (1990) to Wolfenstein 3D (1992) to Doom (1993). Things were moving fast.

MeLKoR posted:

:siren: The Chris Report :siren:

From day one I never got this adulation for Chris Roberts. I mean, compare two games that came out in 1993, X-Wing and WC:Privateer. Both games were limited by the same hardware so the differences in cockpit views come from either terrible design choices or a terrible game engine.

1993 X-Wing

1993 Wing Commander Privateer :psyboom:

TYOOL 2016 Star Citizen

Again, compare: Battlehawks 1942 (198fucking9) — the sprite engine Chris claimed he stole

…or, hell, Falcon 3.0 (1991) — with semi-textured polygons, shaded terrain, and padlock view to “head”track targets, offering even more visibility.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 23, 2016

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I have a customer service story.

Last night I was thinking of maybe playing diablo3 with some goons. I had bought it years ago when it came out and not played it since.

I tried to log in to their website to see about downloading it, but it wouldn't let me in because I had set up their mobile authenticator on my old iPad and didn't have it anymore.

To get the mobile auth thing removed I had to file a support ticket with a scan of my drivers license.

It said it would take as much as 24 hours and maybe 2 days. I figured sure, it's blizzard, they must have a zillion support tickets every day and it's Friday night and it's the weekend, no biggie.

This morning I checked my email and I had 2 blizzard emails right next to each other in the inbox. They had responded and solved the issue in less than 30 minutes.

And I'm not even really a customer, I bought d3 when it came out, never bought the expansions, never played WoW, bought d2 and Starcraft from them ages ago.

And CIG takes a month? For people who give them a thousand dollars?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have a customer service story of my own. I bought Naval Action last week. For whatever reason something isn't working and I can't play it. So I posted something on their forums and then also sent a CS e-mail. Within 24 hours a moderator (staff member) has already gone through the basic issues on the forum, the CS guys had responded, and we had ironed out the initial issues. A week later I've had multiple back and forths with multiple developers even though they're in Russia. It's at the point now where I'm directly e-mailing a developer some logs. Meanwhile their game not only has a tool to report crashes but also a tool to check server connectivity. In both cases all I have to do is run the report and tell them the report number and they have all the data they need. The problem isn't solved but I absolutely feel like they're on top of things.

Meanwhile nearly four months later I still don't know I was banned. I'm starting to think CIG is ignoring me.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Look at you dumb goons that don't understand customer service :smuggo:

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Xaerael posted:

you need a platinum account to see this message has really been working for me, I have it running on my spare PC upstairs 24/7. I've got the new email registration macro thing down to a tee too.

I can confirm that they've fixed the wall clipping bug where we put the energy shotgun. For now it's back behind the vending machine.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CIG is all about fanservice, all other customers are unworthy.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible posted:

Look at you dumb goons that don't understand customer service :smuggo:

I know right, Service is the last part of customer service development. I thought everyone knew this.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
First you implement a byzantine webstore with an insane melt/unmelt system and cross chassis upgrades - then you segregate your player base into concierge level and normal level. Then you hire a few CS reps, then finally the VP of the $100 million company trains them one on one.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Daztek posted:

This is what happens when Derek Smart keeps not posting his new blog and Lowtax doesn't force his daughter to play Star Citizen.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
For those that missed it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

Same. People should lay off the personal digs and focus on their incompetence at their jobs.

Edit - Good thing FAU probated that one guy for the lovely "lol look at this chick who got fat that works at CIG" post.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 23, 2016

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
I also prefer this amazing thread without the fat-shaming and bitch-calling.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

A Neurotic Jew posted:

its funny how this stuff gets distorted down the line.

It is hilarious they think goons are loving customer service by submitting torrents of support requests, but I think it's actually funnier if they are forced to accept the truth.

I'm confident that if anyone here was shown to be spamming customer support with bullshit, they would be banned. Just like forum invasions are banned, and for the old timers who remember, the ban massacre after the deaf-relay operator thread.

Star Citizens, CIG customer support is just that bad all on it's own. No goon is spamming customer support, because that's not funny, and it would simply be a step too far. However, it is funny that they are so awful you've spun up conspiracy theories to excuse them leaving you waiting weeks or months on support tickets.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

PhallicPhalanges posted:

I also prefer this amazing thread without the fat-shaming and bitch-calling.

I think a lot of goons just take it a bit too far. On both sides of the fence TBH.

There are legitimately new posters ITT, who see Ben for the first time and just honestly go: "Jesus loving christ, how the hell is that man still alive?!" and the sensitive types mistake this for fat-shaming, as opposed to the genuine reaction of horror that it is, while goons that have known this before decide to just take it to the nth degree of tasteless (like that guy that got probated).

In short...I think we need more food talk to balance out this negative karma of fatshame at this juncture.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

hakimashou posted:

Im 600 posts behind so maybe somone already spotted this gem of fun in the Pee Tee Uuuuu
Star Citizen: This game causes me so much pain

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'm more concerned about the fact that Lesnick is slowly killing himself with his life choices. I think he's a massive dickhole, utter idiot, and a disgusting human being, but I wouldn't wish death on him. Relentless disdain, but not death.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Eonwe posted:

yea that stuff isn't funny, in fact it reminds you that the only difference between a goon and redditor is $10

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen has been in development for 3 years, with one of those being full development

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Wading through a bunch of perogie chat a ways back, just wanted to say the image of the space news van looks like a space whale while thumbnailed, so much so that I thought that was the joke. Has anybody pointed this out yet?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Eonwe posted:

I made one that contained an anime reference so I'm sorry if it caused any conflict in your heart.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dusty Lens posted:

I made one that contained an anime reference so I'm sorry if it caused any conflict in your heart.

oh i dont have any specific posts in mind dont worry!!!!!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
After reading all that stuff about Sandi and her degrees, I looked up the University of Adelaide to see what those guys are doing. Interestingly enough, you can study marine biology at the UA. I think I have a hunch that the only real degree Sandi has is a degree in marine biology from Adelaide. Which would also explain all the things she is doing wrong at CIG, since marine biology normally doesn't really prepare you for management and stuff.

Enough of that, though. Didn't Lowtax want to make a stream about Star Citizen, what happend to that?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CrazyLoon posted:

In short...I think we need more food talk to balance out this negative karma of fatshame at this juncture.
The inevitable consequence of food: calories.

Will SC count the calories I burn playing it? There's a PS2 game that did it, so Chris can probably code this feature in about 8 hours.

surc posted:

Wading through a bunch of perogie chat a ways back, just wanted to say the image of the space news van looks like a space whale while thumbnailed, so much so that I thought that was the joke. Has anybody pointed this out yet?
No, but I was thinking it very hard yesterday. It's a pink whale with a huge grin.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

CrazyLoon posted:

I think a lot of goons just take it a bit too far. On both sides of the fence TBH.

There are legitimately new posters ITT, who see Ben for the first time and just honestly go: "Jesus loving christ, how the hell is that man still alive?!" and the sensitive types mistake this for fat-shaming, as opposed to the genuine reaction of horror that it is, while goons that have known this before decide to just take it to the nth degree of tasteless (like that guy that got probated).

Every time I take a moment to acknowledge his weight, I honestly become very concerned for his health. Even if he's a jerk or whatever, he doesn't deserve the health effects that come along with being that incredibly overweight. He is literally killing himself, and I hope somebody intervenes. Seeing those pictures of him from only 2-3 years ago, I find it absolutely stunning he's put on so much weight in that period of time. He is very seriously eating himself into an early grave, let alone the complications he's apparently already having with things like his eyesight.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

XK posted:

Every time I take a moment to acknowledge his weight, I honestly become very concerned for his health. Even if he's a jerk or whatever, he doesn't deserve the health effects that come along with being that incredibly overweight. He is literally killing himself, and I hope somebody intervenes. Seeing those pictures of him from only 2-3 years ago, I find it absolutely stunning he's put on so much weight in that period of time. He is very seriously eating himself into an early grave, let alone the complications he's apparently already having with things like his eyesight.

I'm pretty sure the constant food-based 'fan gifts' had something to do with it. They were always super high-sugar, high-transfat, or high alcohol content things.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's not just aesthetic. The functionality itself is slapdash and inconsistent due to CIG not having established design rules. That's why only the Cutlass has (unlabeled) buttons you push to enter, but every other ship has a mysterious patch you must approach to click. It's also why the latest revision of the Constellation has access panels everywhere for various ship functions but the early ships have nothing, why the Cutlass was released before the flight system could handle it, why newer ships have a bunch of smaller shields while older ships have one larger one, and a myriad of other stupid issues that stem from CIG trying to get the cart to move before the horse is even born. You can see it most readily on the design presentations on the Genesis Starliner and Caterpillar (gently caress if I'm going to find which ATV those were from); the artist is basically making poo poo up as he goes along. The problem is that while it's fine to conceptualize a farm, or a drop pod, or a news van, it's not okay to loving sell poo poo based on that concept until you're 100% sure it's going to be there.

Instead of laughing about the Cutlass and those pissy owners who bitch about not getting what they want, backers should consider the real and serious possibility that their ship will receive the same treatment. CIG has done nothing to suggest they can deliver on anything even remotely close to what's been promised and yet anyone who brings it up gets yelled at or banned. So gently caress it, let them get screwed.

And on top of that, why do some ships need vtol fans, some need wings, some appear to use an anti-gravity whatever, some use big rotating engines, etc etc?

The big problem is that each ship is literally designed independently of the universe it's supposed to fit in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

alf_pogs posted:

i almost feel like you do stimpire fiction better than stimpire prime

You take that back

• Locked thread