Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

wow dorhys gnawing is an excellent spell, i kill bosses pretty easily with it

maybe there are other better spells? though i think if bleeding is percent damage that is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
It's a great spell. Some things aren't vulnerable to bleed though. Not many but some.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

So I take it the Pontiffs Left Eye ring is a noob trap that I walked my dumb rear end into

Absolutely not but it’s also not good in every build. If you’re using dual weapons that get tons of successive hits then it’s very useful to recover from trades or just save on Estus use over the course of a level.

My first run of DS3 was with sharp Sellsword Twinblades and those things absolutely poo poo damage, so having the Right Eye equipped helps you stay aggro for longer.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

where the red fern gropes posted:

holy gently caress the dancer is hard

i summoned two phantoms and they both waited until i went in then black crystalled out, which was pretty funny

If you picked up their signs from outside Vordt's door, I can see why they'd do that. Not everyone is up for / high enough level to help with Dancer.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the dancers door is also pretty buggy so sometimes summons just cant enter it at all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dark souls 2 has much tighter controls than 1. playing it i was hoping they'd do a rerelase in the updated engine.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've finished Cathedral and I'm about to hop over to Farron and I'm considering doing a bit of stat reshuffling (which afaik won't gently caress over the Sirris quest?).

So, questions:

Let's say I've settled on the Claymore as my weapon. Claymore base reqs are 16 STR/13 DEX, from from what I've read it scales rather poorly and I should be infusing it; is this right? If so, what should I be infusing it with? I was doing STR/DEX but the Refined path seems a bit... lackluster? at C/C instead o the original D/C, am I better off respeccing to 13 dex, pumping str and making it heavy?

Anther option I was considering is going minimum STR/DEX, getting faith up to spice things up a bit with miracles and making it lightning infused.

I'm open to suggestions; I wanted to switch things up a bit weapon-wise but the Claymore has power over me.

/edit: Should I be going Hollowlsayer instead of the Claymore?

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 29, 2017

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've finished Cathedral and I'm about to hop over to Farron and I'm considering doing a bit of stat reshuffling (which afaik won't gently caress over the Sirris quest?).

Yeah, respecs or appearance changes don't fail Sirris' quest. Handing in tongues (for covenant rewards. even if you don't get any, i.e. <10) does. Or equipping the covenant badge.

There's a glitch for infinite respecs, if you don't know already.

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, questions:

Let's say I've settled on the Claymore as my weapon. Claymore base reqs are 16 STR/13 DEX, from from what I've read it scales rather poorly and I should be infusing it; is this right? If so, what should I be infusing it with? I was doing STR/DEX but the Refined path seems a bit... lackluster? at C/C instead o the original D/C, am I better off respeccing to 13 dex, pumping str and making it heavy?

Anther option I was considering is going minimum STR/DEX, getting faith up to spice things up a bit with miracles and making it lightning infused.

I'm open to suggestions; I wanted to switch things up a bit weapon-wise but the Claymore has power over me.

Refined is bad in most cases now, even an uninfused weapon can sometimes perform better with the reduced base damage. Str/Heavy or Dex/Sharp (or Int+Faith/Dark) are the way to go. Hollowslayer is like a Dex-scaling claymore with faster hyperarmour frames and a flashier moveset, so you could just go that over a Sharp Claymore, if you decided to go Dex.

If you found the Astora (ultra-) Greatsword in Cathedral, that's a great Sharp-infused PvE weapon once you have the Stamina to swing it. The Zweihänder or Greatsword UGS (you'll need more Vitality for the latter) are decent Heavy-infused alternatives, and are available about where you are in the game.

Also the Great Machete from those pot-men aound the Undead Settlement onward is great infused Heavy.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, questions:

Heavy or sharp infusions have literally the same damage at 40 str or 40 dex for the claymore. So raise whichever. Hollowslayer is preferred by pvp people but for pve i dont think it matters. Hollowslayer does a bit less damge but the diffrence is hardly noticeable compared to the claymore.
The main advantage of quality builds these days is mostly weapon variety. A lot of the boss weapons are quality so you get access to all kinds of cool weapons. Where as only going dex or str limits you a little bit. You need a lot less str or dex to achieve max damage potential compared to quality though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Equipping the covenant item doesn't fail Sirris's quest. Maybe it did at launch but they must have patched that out.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Claymore is certainly more versatile as it can be buffed by items, and yeah, it's generally a good greatsword. Greatsword class weapons skew towards the dex side of things for better AR, even with a quality build (which aims for 40 STR/DEX), so I'd recommend against going the strength route if you're in love with it. (PS: the guy above who said that heavy/sharp results in the same damage is true, but that's not factoring in stat scaling, where sharp excels for Claymore)

Other notable greatswords are Hollowslayer which benefits from 20% bonus damage to hollows, and Black Knight Sword which has the highest AR at max level.

One thing to keep in mind with regards to faith or magic builds is that you'll be doing "split damage," aka the enemy's defense is applied to both the lightning and the physical damage, usually resulting in overall weaker damage. Lightning/Magic/Fire infusions also lock you out of item buffs to weapons.

If you really want to minmax, you can use this AR calculator.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 29, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, questions:

Definitely heavy. You want to 2-hand it a lot, and 2-handing does almost nothing for sharp weapons.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 29, 2017

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i've tested the infusion with +10 claymore A LOT and i seem to recall quality being the best damage. maybe that was before that last rebalance patch though

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 29, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

At 40/40 (or 27/40 while 2-handing), refined gives 496 AR.
At 16/40 (or 12/40 while 2-handing), sharp gives 487 AR.
At 40/13 (or 27/13 while 2-handing), heavy gives 479 AR.

So refined does have the best potential AR but requires significantly more stat investment. Conversely, heavy has the lowest but requires much lower stats. Sharp is right in the middle.

I'd definitely suggest heavy because it gives you a lot more leeway for investing your stats in other places, which can make a much bigger difference than 17 points of AR.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've been doing quite a bit of two handing with the grass crest shield at my back for the stamina regen, so heavy may be the way to go... I kinda do want to be able to play around with other weapons (and I just realised the BK Greataxe is back), but there's also the fact that by the time I get most new (unupgraded) weapons whatever I'm using frequently will outperform it.

Oh, well, I'll sit on the respec for a while, for now I 'll head to Farron Keep and...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
over playthroughs I've learned where the few things I actually want in farron keep(undead bone shard, estus shard, sage's coal and magic boosting crown if my build requires them, ladder to old wolf) and I know the fastest route to get through the area while also grabbing these things. maybe I should write it down sometime with pictures, I imagine newer players could use it because exploring the whole area to find the fires is a huge chore, and most guides seem to be "get everything"type stuff. not very practical.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 29, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't worry about wasting respecs, there's a minor bug that makes them unlimited. All you have to do is confirm the respec, and then alt-f4 before closing Rosaria's dialogue box. You'll get the respec but it won't consume a tongue or any of your five respecs for the playthrough.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neurosis posted:

in this context i was referring to the need to commit harder to turning due to the deadzone, coupled with what feels to me like a slower attack speed and a definitely slower roll (at light weights at least). together, these things make turning and dodging more sluggish and the controls feel less responsive than in the other soulsborne games. i said the controls felt tanky 'relative to those games' but for some reason people think i mean ds2 controls like ryo in shenmue or at least are surprisingly pissy about idiosyncratic word use

tank controls means your character can only rotate or walk forward, like a tank. it has nothing to do with sluggishness or stiffness.

e: i've never played shenmue but from some cursory googling yes, that is in fact what it means

this is significant because tank controls are pretty much the worst thing ever and DS2 has enough problems without accusing it of even more things that would be dealbreakers, but aren't actually in DS2

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 29, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
tank controls are in fact good in the right context, like RE games up to 4

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

IronicDongz posted:

tank controls are in fact good in the right context, like RE games up to 4

No, those are all bad games. Any game where inherently bad controls are part of the difficulty is a bad game. Even the much-maligned RE5 is a better game than any of the pre-4 Resident Evils because it actually feels good to control and that's more important than almost anything else

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tank controls were always dumb as gently caress and only existed because of the 2d backgrounds and poo poo so that no matter where the camera was the same control was always forward.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

feelix posted:

inherently bad controls are part of the difficulty

i don't think the devs sat there and went 'yeah let's do it this way to gently caress with people' but you do you i guess

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

even with all the camera angle changes the original resident evils probably would've been less lovely to control if direction was just based on your view since that's far more natural feeling.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

feelix posted:

No, those are all bad games. Any game where inherently bad controls are part of the difficulty is a bad game. Even the much-maligned RE5 is a better game than any of the pre-4 Resident Evils because it actually feels good to control and that's more important than almost anything else
RE4 is fun and satisfying to control, once you learn how to use the controls well it feels very methodical. In a good way.

Nearly every design decision is a tradeoff, and control is no different. RE4 doesn't let you strafe, sure. It limits you.
Dark Souls also limits you. It doesn't let you do things like roll out of any action at any time, even though in the immediate shallow sense if you made that change it would "feel" better. And that limit means you have to think about when you do certain actions, lest you be punished for it. It adds to the depth of the game. (And it's worth noting that many people who spend lots of time playing more fastpaced action games which do let you have much greater freedom of movement and don't lock you into actions nearly as much as DS are negative about those aspects of DS. I've repeatedly seen people say DS is bad because it's like someone set out to make a fun action game like DMC or Bayonetta, but then stopped trying partway through by not letting the player combo enemies from things like OTG attacks-ex, after knocking a dude up into the air with black knight greatsword uppercut you cannot then juggle them in the air-and constantly locking them into animations, preventing the game from having a faster pace.) The same thing goes for the restrictions of movement in a game like RE4, it changes how you strategize and approach combat situations. It's a huge part of the language of the game, and makes situations that would be trivial in most games into interesting challenges. Like, you have to make meaningful choice about when you turn and how you engage enemies, when to flip around in order to get away from something quickly versus when to backpedal versus when to stand still and shoot, etc.

All games are fundamentally about imposing limits around the player. Like making the player only able to move on a horizontal axis along the ground unless they do certain things, making the player unable to proceed if they get hit enough, not letting the player move or do things or have things however they like whenever they like. That's what game design is. Trying to succeed despite the limits is where challenge comes from, and having games which impose different kinds of limits means there are more legitimately different kinds of challenges out there.

tl;dr: there's no such thing as "inherently" bad controls because all control schemes have a goal in mind, and that goal is not always maximum fluidity of movement. The absolute most freedom in a control scheme would be the ability to fly around and noclip through everything, but making most games play like that would not make them better.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i already gave the reason the old resident evils had lovely controls. tank controls are indefensible even with that reason.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't think the devs sat there and went 'yeah let's do it this way to gently caress with people' but you do you i guess

I didn't say it has to be a deliberate design decision

If you can say "this game would be a lot easier if I could control my character in a better way", then it's a problem with the game. How big of a problem depends on just how much easier the game would be, and all the tank REs would be trivial if you had better controls

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

feelix posted:

Any game where inherently bad controls are part of the difficulty is a bad game
qwop/getting over it rule actually

Iretep posted:

the dancers door is also pretty buggy so sometimes summons just cant enter it at all.
A friend of mine got summoned to that specific door over a dozen times and was able to enter once, but it wasn't exclusively that spot. One time i summoned her for the Abyss Watchers and while she couldn't enter i was able to lure for boss towards the door so she could get the last hit on him through the fog.

Granted, that was during launch week where all kinds of funky summoning stuff was going on (we always assumed it was lossy netcode dropping the "boss fight has started! update fog gate state" message).

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

IronicDongz posted:

RE4 is fun and satisfying to control, once you learn how to use the controls well it feels very methodical. In a good way.

Nearly every design decision is a tradeoff, and control is no different. RE4 doesn't let you strafe, sure. It limits you.
Dark Souls also limits you. It doesn't let you do things like roll out of any action at any time, even though in the immediate shallow sense if you made that change it would "feel" better. And that limit means you have to think about when you do certain actions, lest you be punished for it. It adds to the depth of the game. (And it's worth noting that many people who spend lots of time playing more fastpaced action games which do let you have much greater freedom of movement and don't lock you into actions nearly as much as DS are negative about those aspects of DS. I've repeatedly seen people say DS is bad because it's like someone set out to make a fun action game like DMC or Bayonetta, but then stopped trying partway through by not letting the player combo enemies from things like OTG attacks-ex, after knocking a dude up into the air with black knight greatsword uppercut you cannot then juggle them in the air-and constantly locking them into animations, preventing the game from having a faster pace.) The same thing goes for the restrictions of movement in a game like RE4, it changes how you strategize and approach combat situations. It's a huge part of the language of the game, and makes situations that would be trivial in most games into interesting challenges. Like, you have to make meaningful choice about when you turn and how you engage enemies, when to flip around in order to get away from something quickly versus when to backpedal versus when to stand still and shoot, etc.

All games are fundamentally about imposing limits around the player. Like making the player only able to move on a horizontal axis along the ground unless they do certain things, making the player unable to proceed if they get hit enough, not letting the player move or do things or have things however they like whenever they like. That's what game design is. Trying to succeed despite the limits is where challenge comes from, and having games which impose different kinds of limits means there are more legitimately different kinds of challenges out there.

tl;dr: there's no such thing as "inherently" bad controls because all control schemes have a goal in mind, and that goal is not always maximum fluidity of movement. The absolute most freedom in a control scheme would be the ability to fly around and noclip through everything, but making most games play like that would not make them better.

I don't think "letting you nonsensically cancel out of animations feels better" is an unequivocal truth like you're making it out to be.

And regarding noclip/flying/etc: the problem with RE (or any other game) isn't that your character is limited in what they can do. The problem is that the inputs you have to make to do the things your character can do are clunky and could be much improved, without actually changing your character's abilities.

feelix fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 29, 2017

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Also lol at acting like RE tank controls were some deliberate design decision. They just didn't know any better and did things wrong.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they were deliberate. the reason is because the backgrounds are 2D they had to have fixed camera angles for each scene and the logic was if you make the up button always be forward your movement would continue on when the camera angle switches. it's still a terrible control scheme tho

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

feelix posted:

I didn't say it has to be a deliberate design decision

If you can say "this game would be a lot easier if I could control my character in a better way", then it's a problem with the game. How big of a problem depends on just how much easier the game would be, and all the tank REs would be trivial if you had better controls
But it's not just about a binary easier/harder scale. It's also about the ways in which the game creates difficulty, which is hugely different based on how games control. In a game where you drive or fly a vehicle, you have a lot of momentum(moreso the more realistic it is) and can't just snap around 180 degrees to shoot at something behind you. You have to make broader and broader turns the faster you are going, which creates much different tactics in something like a dogfighting sim vs. something like Star Fox where you can easily do a quick loop.

In a game like RE4, the way you control affects how you interact with the environment and enemies. Like how you have to commit to attacks in DS(unlike, say, an FPS where you can keep moving while shooting), in RE4 you have to commit to movement. Your positioning is really important when you can't strafe, you have to make choices in the moment, predictively, about when to turn and move in a different direction. It's not just about when to attack vs. not attack, it's not just about which direction to move in, it's also that your directional positioning affects how quickly you can move in certain directions which incentivizes doing things like pivoting in advance or getting yourself in positions which you have an out for more easily, based on the terrain. Ex: in that one part in the castle in an open room where a buncha zombie monks approach you, with several bridges on the ground across water with different groups of enemies on them. If you simply stand facing one bridge, you can quickly stop shooting and move forward, or almost as quickly stop shooting, flip around, and move back. Or take extra time to rotate left or right. But if you align yourself just before the intersection of the middle walkway, you can rotate as you move forwards to move onto either the middle walkway or continue down the path you're already on quickly-your positioning has made you have a less direct line to the most dangerous enemies at this time, but you have more options of fast movement as a tradeoff.
The controls create a layer of depth which does not feel or work the same as if you just jacked up enemy tracking and attack speed to match increased player control, and it's an interesting kind of tactical game as a result. And that's not even mentioning the way it affects the feel of these games in terms of horror vs. action, especially in segments like the regenerator lab. If you make all games control fluidly, you remove this kind of thing and flatten out the medium.

feelix posted:

I don't think "letting you nonsensically cancel out of animations feels better" is an unequivocal truth like you're making it out to be
You're kind of ignoring the whole rest of my post to just reply to that one bit. Broadly speaking, it feels better to be able to do things faster, and to be less restricted. That does not always mean it's the correct design for the game.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 29, 2017

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

IronicDongz posted:

But it's not just about a binary easier/harder scale. It's also about the ways in which the game creates difficulty, which is hugely different based on how games control. In a game where you drive or fly a vehicle, you have a lot of momentum(moreso the more realistic it is) and can't just snap around 180 degrees to shoot at something behind you. You have to make broader and broader turns the faster you are going, which creates much different tactics in something like a dogfighting sim vs. something like Star Fox where you can easily do a quick loop.

In a game like RE4, the way you control affects how you interact with the environment and enemies. Like how you have to commit to attacks in DS(unlike, say, an FPS where you can keep moving while shooting), in RE4 you have to commit to movement. Your positioning is really important when you can't strafe, you have to make choices in the moment, predictively, about when to turn and move in a different direction. It's not just about when to attack vs. not attack, it's not just about which direction to move in, it's also that your directional positioning affects how quickly you can move in certain directions which incentivizes doing things like pivoting in advance or getting yourself in positions which you have an out for more easily. The controls create a layer of depth which does not feel or work the same as if you just jacked up enemy tracking and attack speed to match increased player control, and it's an interesting kind of tactical game as a result. If you make all games control fluidly, you remove this kind of thing and flatten out the medium.
You're kind of ignoring the whole rest of my post to just reply to that one bit. Broadly speaking, it feels better to be able to do things faster, and to be less restricted. That does not always mean it's the correct design for the game.
See my edit

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Tank controls are pretty good for World of Tanks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

feelix posted:

See my edit
But it does change the character's abilities, though. Letting them move in different ways fundamentally changes what they are able to do, and thus the ways that you can challenge them and the strategies that arise in getting over those challenges.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

IronicDongz posted:

But it does change the character's abilities, though. Letting them move in different ways fundamentally changes what they are able to do, and thus the ways that you can challenge them and the strategies that arise in getting over those challenges.

You don't have to change anything about your character's abilities to go from tank controls to MGS-style fixed camera controls. You can still have limits on turning speed, your character doesn't have to immediately face the direction you are trying to move in.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So in the case of RE4, which is not fixed camera, are you saying that if you press A, Leon should spend time rotating to the left before actually moving in that direction, just like he does now?
How would that make the game feel any better?

I mean also more importantly I don't even think that tank controls feel worse than absolute controls. I think they feel different, slower, and more methodical, which is not inherently bad. It makes you feel like you're steering something around rather than controlling it in a very videogame-y abstracted fashion.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

IronicDongz posted:

So in the case of RE4, which is not fixed camera, are you saying that if you press A, Leon should spend time rotating to the left before actually moving in that direction, just like he does now?
How would that make the game feel any better?

I mean also more importantly I don't even think that tank controls feel worse than absolute controls. I think they feel different, slower, and more methodical, which is not inherently bad. It makes you feel like you're steering something around rather than controlling it in a very videogame-y abstracted fashion.
That's not even a straw man, you're literally suggesting the opposite of what I'm saying. Why would you think I would suggest changing the character's abilities?

Without changing the way in which the character can move, RE4's controls can't be improved in any fundamental way. Neither can Dark Souls'. RE1-3's can.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I still don't agree because I think it feels cool to rotate a dude on a screen around and then walk forward(in the same way I think it feel cool to rotate a tank or a mech), and I don't like absolute controls+turning time(never really liked old MG games). gomen

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The controls in DS2 are not its biggest problem, it's the rationale and implementation of its mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

I still don't agree because I think it feels cool to rotate a dude on a screen around and then walk forward(in the same way I think it feel cool to rotate a tank or a mech), and I don't like absolute controls+turning time(never really liked old MG games). gomen

human beings don't move that way and it's insanely dumb and it was dumb in the 90s.